HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:30 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz View Post
I don't know if its the agents fault really. The sellers incorrectly filled out the seller info form. They said they were unaware of any developments and that no renovations had been done, both which were untrue. Is the sellers agent responsible for that?
There's minimum due diligence with which they would have to conduct themselves. I'm not an expert on what constitutes due diligence in the real estate industry though. Wouldn't a home inspection pick up on any renovations?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:54 PM
From the Planning Paradox

That should be 311 not 411 to call the City.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
There's minimum due diligence with which they would have to conduct themselves. I'm not an expert on what constitutes due diligence in the real estate industry though. Wouldn't a home inspection pick up on any renovations?
I just gotta learn to not let it bother me and be more pro-active next time. Complaining isn't going to change anything and despite the construction and other things, i like the place and the area. I didn't realize any home renovations were done until i found a floor plan of the exact model of my home online and realized they changed a few things in the basement ie removed some storage space and made it a finished area.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:48 PM

actually complaining might change something. talk to *your* real estate agent for advice. When we bought, the sellers advertised that something had been replaced, but we later found out that the work was incomplete, and our agent was able to shake down the sellers for the price of finishing the job (Chris Coveny FTW!)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz View Post
I just gotta learn to not let it bother me and be more pro-active next time. Complaining isn't going to change anything and despite the construction and other things, i like the place and the area. I didn't realize any home renovations were done until i found a floor plan of the exact model of my home online and realized they changed a few things in the basement ie removed some storage space and made it a finished area.
I would bet that 99.9% of all "new" homes built in a large subdivision over the past 30 years never had a finished or partially finished basement. I doubt it's even an option at the time of purchase from the builder. This would mean any finished basements you see were likely done by the owner (possibly with a contractor).

Flickr®

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I would bet that 99.9% of all "new" homes built in a large subdivision over the past 30 years never had a finished or partially finished basement. I doubt it's even an option at the time of purchase from the builder. This would mean any finished basements you see were likely done by the owner (possibly with a contractor).
You'd probably lose that bet. Most new semi-detached and townhomes sold in Ottawa today do come with a finished basement and this has been the case for the last number of years.

You're right that most new single homes do not come with finished basements but builders certainly do offer it as an option.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 6:19 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
You'd probably lose that bet. Most new semi-detached and townhomes sold in Ottawa today do come with a finished basement and this has been the case for the last number of years.

You're right that most new single homes do not come with finished basements but builders certainly do offer it as an option.
That's why I had the 0.1%

I was referring to single detached though. It might be a new trend though to offer finished basements. Maybe to entice people to buy homes bigger than their budget under the guise they can rent out the basement immediately?

Flickr®

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion