HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 6:36 PM
Change is good

Edmonton MAC's

Ever notice how all the new mac's stores are so much better than the old ones?

Its funny, I once went to Calgary, and there was this old mac's store in a crummy part of town and I thought to myself, man the mac's store in my brand new neighbourhood is so much better than this one. Calgary must suck!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 6:37 PM
arf

^For sure. The one on Jasper around 119th is sweet.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 6:52 PM
Construction Enthusiast

yes, for a while, Mac's was just another convienience store. They are trying now to become a bit more upscale shop.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 7:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^For sure. The one on Jasper around 119th is sweet.
It's on the corner of 117th and Jasper. Far nicer than the one on the north side of Jasper and 113th. That being said, it is about 10-15% more expensive across the board.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlenoodle View Post
It's on the corner of 117th and Jasper. Far nicer than the one on the north side of Jasper and 113th. That being said, it is about 10-15% more expensive across the board.
At least with the one on 113th all the drugdealers are out front at the phonebooth. So you know what to expect when you walk or drive up.

The one on 117th is the worst application of hidden parking ever. In the summer there is always a gaggle of homeless just hanging out back there. And they're always surly.

Makes it hard to get my slurpee...er Froster(tm) fix.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 7:41 PM

In Calgary Mac's are called "Crack Mac's" because it's mostly crackheads that use them. Does that mean Edmonton is full of crackheads?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 7:42 PM
BANNED

I currently live about a 1/2 block north of the 113th one and will be moving to across the street from the 117th one. I didn't know there was an issue with the parking though... I know the last few times I've gone to peek at the construction of my new place I've seen people huddled in the Jewish Drop in doorway, never the Macs.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 7:56 PM

Quote:
I currently live about a 1/2 block north of the 113th one and will be moving to across the street from the 117th one. I didn't know there was an issue with the parking though... I know the last few times I've gone to peek at the construction of my new place I've seen people huddled in the Jewish Drop in doorway, never the Macs.
The lights in the Mac's parking lot were burnt out all summer, and some of the aesthetic features of that development like the planters and pony-walls (or whatever the landscapy term is) make the sightlines pretty bad.

So in the summer there will usually be a few homeless hanging out at the Jewish drop-in centre, and a few on the grass next to the mac's, and a few more just sprawled out in the parking lot around the dumpster.

Hopefully the Uptown will add a few more eyes on the street, although Riverview is right there, and doesn't seem to do much.

I'm sure it's not dangerous. I'm just not a huge fan of leaving my car surrounded by half a dozen homeless in a parking lot that can't be seen from the steet at all. And running the gauntlet of homeless to actually get into the store isn't all that fun either.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 8:09 PM
BANNED

I'll actually be one of those Uptown eyes-on-the-street, as I've got a NE corner unit @ Uptown. Lemme know when you're ducking in for a Froster next year and I'll keep an eye on your ride.

Is the Drop-In ever used? I've never seen anyone go in or out, nor any lights on..

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 8:30 PM

Quote:
I'll actually be one of those Uptown eyes-on-the-street, as I've got a NE corner unit @ Uptown. Lemme know when you're ducking in for a Froster next year and I'll keep an eye on your ride.

Is the Drop-In ever used? I've never seen anyone go in or out, nor any lights on..
I've never seen anyone use it either. Maybe they only work 9-5, M-F?

Since I'm a fickle consumer I usually just avoid that Mac's during the summer and go to the one on 116/104 instead. If I lived in the area though I probably would have complained to their landlord. The lights in the parking lot were burnt out for months before they got fixed. Fixing that earlier and maybe adding a bit more site lighting could make a huge difference.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 8:37 PM
BANNED

I try not to go to Mac's in Edmonton. You're pretty much guaranteed that you'll get asked for change EVERY TIME! "I need coffee/bus fare", BULLSHIT! Sometime's they'll even knock on my window and ask right there in the parking lot! SO annoying!

Now the Mac's in Beaumont is a different story. Last night I didn't get harrassed at all! I like it!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 9:18 PM
Still optimistic

I think that there is so much nonsense in the Alberta section because there are like 5 new threads a day!

Entertainment, Entertainment!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton