HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 6:39 AM

So. I love it...mostly because i live right there. But a few questions?

You said the telus field ug parking would be on the south of the building...Is that just an empty field right now? Current parking is on the north is it not?

Also, can you throw in a funicular up to jasper to save me from walking up 105st? Possibly across the river and up to whyte ave down 105st south of the river? Direct jasper to whyte connection would be swell.

Has the city always planned to have residential in this area? There's no chance they would just make this into a park to tie into the river valley right?

And as far as the concerns about high rises in this area, i think you have definately at least partially adressed this by having the highest towers nearest the corner of 105st and 97 ave and decreasing in height moving south and east. I dont think the tallest tower should be much taller than P.Point, river valley condos, or the river vista...The top of the buildings should follow the slope of the hill. (which it looks like is your plan anyways)

If we had a decent baseball team in a decent league this area would be perfect pre and post game. Maybe decomissioned powerplant sports museum (with MANY interactive activities - Not just memorabilia)

Anyways, i like it

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
(report progress as you see fit)
additional background and links:
http://www.epcor.ca/Communities/Albe...ermdevplan.htm

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 4:57 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc16 View Post
So. I love it...mostly because i live right there. But a few questions?

You said the telus field ug parking would be on the south of the building...Is that just an empty field right now? Current parking is on the north is it not?

Also, can you throw in a funicular up to jasper to save me from walking up 105st? Possibly across the river and up to whyte ave down 105st south of the river? Direct jasper to whyte connection would be swell.

Has the city always planned to have residential in this area? There's no chance they would just make this into a park to tie into the river valley right?

And as far as the concerns about high rises in this area, i think you have definately at least partially adressed this by having the highest towers nearest the corner of 105st and 97 ave and decreasing in height moving south and east. I dont think the tallest tower should be much taller than P.Point, river valley condos, or the river vista...The top of the buildings should follow the slope of the hill. (which it looks like is your plan anyways)

If we had a decent baseball team in a decent league this area would be perfect pre and post game. Maybe decomissioned powerplant sports museum (with MANY interactive activities - Not just memorabilia)

Anyways, i like it
thanks for the comments and questions...

-UG parking for telus i meant north of telus under a new mixed use complex.

-no funiculars, i personally dont like em, but i do really like the idea of connections to downtown/southside by means of other concepts.

-there have been different plans over the years, but most if not all included some residential and a "community/public" area. I personally think we have enough "park" in that area (hi mr. river valley) and want something that interacts with it in a functional/viable and somewhat sensitive manner while being able to create a new and interesting area that would make another place for Edmontonians and visitors alike to explore.

-highest tower would be 18 with most being 6-14 and it definitely would terrace down as you go south, but i like the idea of some height east.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 5:46 PM
That's no excuse!

Prior to major residential projects covering the area, I expect there will be a significant revamp of roadway infrastructure including a new bridge. The only river crossing options I see are to twin the 105 Street Bridge or to construct a new bridge anchored on the north where the HP Plant currently sits. I think intersections involving 105 Street, Bellamy Hill, 97 Avenue and bridge traffic will need to be updated to secure reasonable vehicle flow for the next while.

I would assume this kind of planning would be at least hinted in Mandel's new bridge vision expected in 2008. Impact on potential area residential development will likely depend on how significant (or insignificant) any road changes might be.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 6:18 PM
Community Guy

^while i agree something needs to be done to improve south to downtown access...i hope they do not make this area "a freeway"...in that you want to pass through at 60km/h + instead of entering into a very unique area.

i prefer the idea of making the high level 2 lanes north bound in the morning and 2 south in the evening.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 7:49 PM
Urban Advocate

Or you could do Gateway Blvd. straight to a new bridge (use existing foundation from previous plan), and touching down right after the river at grade to join 105th, where it would slow to 50-60 because of on street parking, street level shops, (critical mass)...etc.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 8:02 PM
That's no excuse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
Or you could do Gateway Blvd. straight to a new bridge (use existing foundation from previous plan), and touching down right after the river at grade to join 105th, where it would slow to 50-60 because of on street parking, street level shops, (critical mass)...etc.
My expectation is similar to what you've suggested except that I don't think a direct connection to 105 Street at grade is possible. First, there is that hot potato of a memorial park. But regardless, unless the 105 Street Bridge were to be demolished, I can't see how both bridges could exit on the north bank right beside each other. That's why I'm guessing a new bridge would have to exist slightly to the east of that point where the HP Plant is situated. It would tie in to Rossdale Road and/or 104 Street, I'm guessing.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 11:10 PM
Community Guy

high level bridge northbound and smaller bridge from the south

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
high level bridge northbound and smaller bridge from the south
Northbond would be way better, but not sure how it would ever happen though. They really should have flipped it ten years ago (or so) when they shut the High Level down for a year for reconditioning.

"See - we told you that you could live without the High Level. And now that it's open again, we're going to really confuse you..."

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 9:19 AM

Is this area being considered for the site of the 2017 expo if Edmonton wins a potential bid? That may need to be considered for any redevelopment.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 3:56 PM
Community Guy

^could be, but wrong location imo

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton