HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 12:12 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

The Old Bell Industrial Building at Oxford and Colborne, by me.

Kinda random I know, but I like that building and I wanted to test out my new cameraphone.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 10:31 AM
bro

I've always liked that building too. I used to walk by it everyday on my way to elementary school.

Someone buy me a new camera for Christmas.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 5:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^nice shot.

did anyone meet up with famous forumers Brandon & MikeToronto? I heard that they were in town.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 8:26 PM
User Registered

Got a new Camera on Boxing Day. Tried it out during that snowstorm last night.

Standard lens:

One London Place and London Life - Snowstorm by haljackey, on Flickr

Telephoto Lens:

Red Sky by haljackey, on Flickr

The sky was angry that night as you can see .

Edit: just noticed a few defective pixels with the camera... not happy. Guess I might have to swap it for another (if there's still some in stock lol).

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by haljackey; Dec 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 11:09 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Nice shots. I should have gone to get a new camera on boxing day, because my second PoS Canon just broke. How do you like the Olympus otherwise?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 11:48 PM
User Registered

This is the deal I got: http://www.henrys.com/67402-OLYMPUS-...d-40-150R.aspx (Henrys may also buy your old camera, giving you trade-in value or cash)

The Olympus is good... makes me feel like an amateur photographer when in reality I'm a total newb. It's one of the cheapest mirror-less SLRs out there so it's pretty basic. Focusing takes over a second in many instances so it isn't the quickest thing... If you're trying to capture fast-moving events you'll need luck on your side.
-Video is HD but sadly its just 720p and recording time is limited to 2GB (why?) which amounts to about 7 mins of footage.

In the end the photos are good, and that's what it all comes down to. You can see a few more test images I took on my flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/haljackey/

You see the dead/defective pixels in every shot, so its a problem with the camera, not the lenses. I'm going to get mine replaced.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 1:54 AM

I made a quick stop in Wortley Village on the weekend: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=198614

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 5:52 AM
bro

Smile

Beautiful tour as always, flar.

I took some photos on a bike ride to Byron today. Please try to imagine these were taken with flar's camera and skills:

Scenic View Park in Byron, 8km as the crow flies to downtown.

On the way back I stopped at the massive train trestle at Greeenway.

A train roared by overhead.

The view from atop the embankment.

Back at The Forks.

Quick snap of St. Peter's and St. Paul's.

Went back to the trestle at sunset to try and get some clearer pictures.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 1:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wonderful shots.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:04 PM

See the building to the left of the picture entitled 'Back at the Forks'? I think the last time I was actually in downtown London that building was being built. It's only 3-4 years old, am I correct? Is it somewhat near the Eldon House? (sp?)

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 8:26 PM
User Registered

London skyline from Basil Grover Park. Thought I would snap a couple shots today before the trees fully bloom and swallow up the view.

Slight zoom

Stupid power lines

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 12:25 PM

Great pics!!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 12:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

London needs a mini "skyline" park at that location (Wharn/Commish). Reroute/bury the atrocious power lines so we can get a decent shot of the skyline, dammit. Makes us look too much like K-W, where every skyline shot is dominated by power pylons.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:01 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
London needs a mini "skyline" park at that location (Wharn/Commish). Reroute/bury the atrocious power lines so we can get a decent shot of the skyline, dammit. Makes us look too much like K-W, where every skyline shot is dominated by power pylons.
Am I the only person in the world who's actually fond of overhead power lines?

By the way bolognium, love that first shot of the city from Byron. My favourite skyline shots tend to be the ones of the skyline rising above the trees. I'll have to make my way out there once exams are done.

And even though I'm 20 days late to the party, I also have to give flar a shout-out for his Wortley Village photo tour. I've always liked that area, perfect mix of density and walkability with a pseudo-small-town feel. If London's transit system wasn't completely disjointed and retarded, I would have rented a place around there- but alas, the roommates' requirement of a direct bus route to the University trumped my desire to live somewhere interesting.

Last edited by Wharn; Apr 24, 2012 at 3:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 4:08 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Am I the only person in the world who's actually fond of overhead power lines?
They work in certain situations, but not in urban areas or suburban areas that will screw up the view.

I'm sure I can figure out a way to blur out the power lines (foreground) and make the skyline in focus from that vantage point... just gotta bring my camera manual with me .

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 8:55 PM
User Registered

London, 1967:

Photo Credit, Victor Aziz Photography.

lol no one on Dundas back then as well

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 10:40 PM

Wow those street lights look horrible. You only see those at drive-in theatres and abandoned gas stations nowadays lol

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokkei Mizu View Post
Wow those street lights look horrible. You only see those at drive-in theatres and abandoned gas stations nowadays lol
Those streetlights were still standing between Ridout and Talbot Streets, in front of the Bell building (!), as late as 1992. The posts were still there until the JLC was built, but the lights themselves had been changed to the more typical-looking sodium vapour type before that.

Ugly lights in front of an uglier building, how fitting.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 3:48 AM
bro

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
By the way bolognium, love that first shot of the city from Byron. My favourite skyline shots tend to be the ones of the skyline rising above the trees. I'll have to make my way out there once exams are done.
Yeah, it's definitely a nice view.

Here's one I took the other night. You can see the same three buildings on the left of that awesome '60s picture haljackey posted. And for the record, those street lights are fuckin' cool - everything about that picture is cool.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 5:57 PM

Put me down for thinking those streetlights looked cool too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos