HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 7:35 PM

What is in the JC Penney building?
Zions bank occupies at least the main level, does JC Penney use the rest of the building? They are based somewhere in Texas, so I wouldn't imagine that they have a major corporate presence here. Does anyone know?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Zions bank occupies at least the main level, does JC Penney use the rest of the building? They are based somewhere in Texas, so I wouldn't imagine that they have a major corporate presence here. Does anyone know?
I'm pretty sure its more of a regional center for them. They also operate a JC Penney call center in Centerville, so the company has quite a presence here in Utah despite having headquarters elsewhere.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 8:34 PM

A friend of mine from high school works for JC Penney in that building. He is a payroll manager with them. They handle all of JC Penney's payroll from there was my understanding from him.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTAZLoVer View Post
I'm pretty sure its more of a regional center for them. They also operate a JC Penney call center in Centerville, so the company has quite a presence here in Utah despite having headquarters elsewhere.
Are you sure they still have the call center here. The old building that they had up here in Davis County was actually in Bountiful right on the city lines with Centerville. The building was torn down and a large apartment/condo building was built in its place.

Here is a link to the site map showing the development of where the old call center was.

http://www.villageonmainstreet.com/Apartments/module/website_documents/website_document[id]/3989

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 8:39 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I had never even considered the JC Penney building being turned into condos, that is a fantastic idea. I like the way you think UrbanBoy (on most things)

The building looks to be about 12-14 floors. A developer could approach them about the idea of moving into a new office building that they are proposing. If the developer saw a demand for a new 20-25 story office tower and the demand for additional residential then they could move the offices from Penny's into the new building and the building would approach 32-37 floors, combining the demand for the new building and the current occupant.

This would be a good approach to getting some additional height while not cannibalizing the current office space, and more people living in the CBD is always a good thing.

Maybe, just maybe, with the continued growth in the west, JC Penney may need more space and they would take the opportunity to increase their presence in the market and expand their need for office space, maybe consolidate some other regional offices to SLC. They could actually occupy more sf in a new tower than in the current tower and push the height a couple of additional floors.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
Are you sure they still have the call center here. The old building that they had up here in Davis County was actually in Bountiful right on the city lines with Centerville. The building was torn down and a large apartment/condo building was built in its place.

Here is a link to the site map showing the development of where the old call center was.

http://www.villageonmainstreet.com/Apartments/module/website_documents/website_document[id]/3989
Oh boy, I guess things have changed since high school! Thanks for the update TMac I suppose I won't go on bragging about a JCPenney call center any longer. Lol. No really, though, good to know.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 2:49 AM
Frontal lobes required!

[QUOTE=delts145;4058027]Hey Neuroguy, it's the brown one on the left that T-Mac took a pic of a couple of days ago.

Thanks Delts!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 9:45 PM

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 10:09 PM
BANNED

Great shot!

Quote:

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 4:07 AM
Closed account

Awesome pictures!

What kind of camera do you use T-Mac?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroFanatic View Post
Awesome pictures!

What kind of camera do you use T-Mac?
Canon Digital Rebel XSi.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I had never even considered the JC Penney building being turned into condos, that is a fantastic idea. I like the way you think UrbanBoy (on most things)

The building looks to be about 12-14 floors. A developer could approach them about the idea of moving into a new office building that they are proposing. If the developer saw a demand for a new 20-25 story office tower and the demand for additional residential then they could move the offices from Penny's into the new building and the building would approach 32-37 floors, combining the demand for the new building and the current occupant.

This would be a good approach to getting some additional height while not cannibalizing the current office space, and more people living in the CBD is always a good thing.

Maybe, just maybe, with the continued growth in the west, JC Penney may need more space and they would take the opportunity to increase their presence in the market and expand their need for office space, maybe consolidate some other regional offices to SLC. They could actually occupy more sf in a new tower than in the current tower and push the height a couple of additional floors.
Now that has got to be tha best idea I've heard on here for a while!! Way to think outside the box! I would totally vote for you in 2019 if I could (depending on where life takes me then)! Everyone always thinks "Where can I rip down an old building and build my new office (or condo) tower??" When they should think "Who can I approach that has an existing building, can sell me the land, will help me build my new tower, and will occupy part of it to make it even taller and grander?" I mean, imagine if Property Reserve had done this to Hotel Utah where they are building the 32-story condo tower? That tower would easy top 40 stories!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 12:29 PM
BANNED

I think you are referring to the Inn at Temple Square.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 3:49 PM

It is pretty rare that you can simply add too much to the top of a building, especially older buildings. they are not engineered to support additional height and weight.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 6:09 AM
加油

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
To answer your question, JC Penney is based out of Plano Texas, a suburb north of Dallas. It is off of Legacy Rd, which also has other corporate headquarters such as 7up/Dr pepper, Countrywide, EDS, Frito Lay and many more.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 8:43 PM

South downtown is going to be very handsome.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cololi View Post
It is pretty rare that you can simply add too much to the top of a building, especially older buildings. they are not engineered to support additional height and weight.
No, what Future Mayor was saying was to demolish the old building and build a new one altogether. Then move the offices from the old building over into the new building. The new building would be taller because the old building tenants will take up the bottom part of the new building. Then, whatever the new developer wants to bring in (hotel, office, residential, etc), it can put these things in above the bottom floors. It doesn't even have to be at the bottom (just somwhere in the new tower). The point is that the new building will be taller because it will lease space within it to accomidate tenants from the old building, then it can have new levels of whatever the developer wanted the tower for.

So lets say that Future Mayor comes in with his international company (whatever that may be ) and buys the JC Penny Building. He wants to tear down the exsisting building, then build a 25 story tower for his company. But, he decides to offer JC Penny an incentive to relocate their offices from their old building into his new one. He can then build 10 floors for JC Penny + his 25 floors = a 35 story building!!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post

I think you are referring to the Inn at Temple Square.
Yeah, my bad. I'm not the best at building names. I identify them by how they look Lol. That becomes a problem when I can't just beam my mental image into your brain

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 10:20 PM
BANNED

I'm not sure if this is what Future Mayor was really saying. However, what I originally was saying is this: if a developer were to buy the JCPenny building and then convert it into residential, while this same developer were building an additional building on one of the many parking lots in downtown, the displaced tenants from the JCPenny building could relocate to the new tower, giving the developer reason to go higher in order to accommodate the displaced tenants. The JCPenny building would be reused as residential (a land-use that, in my opinion, better fits the design of the building), and we'd also get a completely new and even taller building in Downtown

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 11:12 PM

Okay. I miss read the post. I think the concept of keeping the building and converting it for residential use is much better than demolishing and building a new, taller building. I would rather see the old DV8 site have a taller building than to see something demolished just for the sake of new.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West