HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 4:23 PM

Great news! Let's hope it's successful with its sales and then subsequently accurate with its timeline

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 4:46 PM

Encouraging.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 5:09 AM

Fantastic news. With North Prairie's tower also slated to break ground in downtown Saskatoon in spring 2014, Saskatoon could have two 90m towers being constructed simultaneously.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 3:39 PM

With Capital Pointe in Regina looking poised to begin construction, there could be a fun race for Saskatchewan's new tallest.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 5:21 PM

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the JOC report on River Landing. I don't expect anything to be happening there in the near future. My guess is that we'll see action on the North Prairie Tower before River Landing.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 7:50 PM

I wanted to check Victory Majors website to see if there is ANYTHING current on it re: RiverLanding, but could not even find a website for them. Anyone on here have any idea how to contact them with respect to an inquiry as to the status of this? I had such high hopes and optimism when Mr.Nasser vowed to see this project come to life....not so much anymore....

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I wanted to check Victory Majors website to see if there is ANYTHING current on it re: RiverLanding, but could not even find a website for them. Anyone on here have any idea how to contact them with respect to an inquiry as to the status of this? I had such high hopes and optimism when Mr.Nasser vowed to see this project come to life....not so much anymore....
I would suggest contacting their office directly: 374-4333.

Report back if you get any juicy details.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drto
And the current height limit for this site is 95m, correct? But they are only going to build up to 92m IIRC.

It's times like this when we seem to be hopeful that this project may actually still happen that brings me back to why on earth would they have ever decided to build the airport where they did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Does the height limit cover the ENTIRE downtown of Saskatoon?
..the height limit of 95m is a number pulled out of a hat by City of Saskatoon for only the River Landing project at the request of the developer. The normal height limit for construction downtown had been 79m (the exact height of current city tallest buildings) even though the height limit regulated by the Federal Aviation Authority, Transport Canada, for downtown is much higher. An example of how tall buildings could be built and still remain within Transport Canada guidelines, one can take a look at building heights in Edmonton's downtown during City Centre Airport's operation.
Edmonton's CN tower is 111m and is under 3km and 15 degrees off parallel with one of Edmonton City Centre Airport's runways.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=6888

Saskatoon's downtown is 10m lower in a valley and is almost 4km from end of one of Saskatoon John G. Diefenbaker International Airport's runways and over 15 degrees off parallel.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=63198

Don Atchison recently commented on a new's radio program that Saskatoon's downtown can sustain buildings over 30 stories.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
..the height limit of 95m is a number pulled out of a hat by City of Saskatoon for only the River Landing project at the request of the developer. The normal height limit for construction downtown had been 79m (the exact height of current city tallest buildings) even though the height limit regulated by the Federal Aviation Authority, Transport Canada, for downtown is much higher. An example of how tall buildings could be built and still remain within Transport Canada guidelines, one can take a look at building heights in Edmonton's downtown during City Centre Airport's operation.
Edmonton's CN tower is 111m and is under 3km and 15 degrees off parallel with one of Edmonton City Centre Airport's runways.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=6888

Saskatoon's downtown is 10m lower in a valley and is almost 4km from end of one of Saskatoon John G. Diefenbaker International Airport's runways and over 15 degrees off parallel.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=63198

Don Atchison recently commented on a new's radio program that Saskatoon's downtown can sustain buildings over 30 stories.
City council would need to first discuss the raising of the height limit with Transport Canada/Nav Canada before doing so. The IFR minimums for VOR Runway 33 Approach would hence need to be raised in concert. The IFR approach to Runway 33 lies above the CBD.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Victory Majors is now looking to get bought out by another developer because they don't have the capability to pull off a project this size. They should just take a loss and let a knowledgeable developer build it.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 7:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC View Post
Victory Majors is now looking to get bought out by another developer because they don't have the capability to pull off a project this size. They should just take a loss and let a knowledgeable developer build it.
Just how long does the city of Saskatoon let Victory Majors speculate on that site, it should have been parcelled off when Lake Placid reneged on building anything there.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 8:39 PM

This is just my personal opinion, however, I've been saying for years that Mayor Atchison views the River Landing as his legacy project. That's why he and City Council have been so accomodating to any developer that is promising to build on that property.

My guess is that the City is still wanting to have an integrated development on that parcel of land, so I wouldn't expect to see them subdivide it. I'd expect this to remain as a Nasser project publicly until Spring 2014 when it will be announced that they will not be proceeding with the project and everything will be back to square one. From there, it's anyone's guess what will happen.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
This is just my personal opinion, however, I've been saying for years that Mayor Atchison views the River Landing as his legacy project. That's why he and City Council have been so accomodating to any developer that is promising to build on that property.

My guess is that the City is still wanting to have an integrated development on that parcel of land, so I wouldn't expect to see them subdivide it. I'd expect this to remain as a Nasser project publicly until Spring 2014 when it will be announced that they will not be proceeding with the project and everything will be back to square one. From there, it's anyone's guess what will happen.
As I've commented in the past, the way things seem to be progressing so far for this project. Although I wouldn't be willing to scratch them off the program just yet. It looks to me like it's going to be awhile before theres any shovels digging. But hey a lot of people had written off Capital Pointe in Regina and that seems to be progressing.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 3:47 AM

A timely feature from The StarPhoenix being served up tomorrow (from Twitter):

Phil Tank @thinktankSK:

Quote:
What's the latest at River Landing? What's being built and what's delayed? What are the big ideas? Wednesday's SP.
#yxe #yxecc #spnews

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC View Post
Interesting post.

Where did you hear this? Or is this mere speculation on your part?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 7:38 PM

Quote:
It is always suspect when someone makes a statement without backing it up. They should at least admit that they can't say where they got it from if it puts them in a bad spot.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 1:17 PM
^^^^^

River landing project: not 2014
Developer, mayor confident in progress
By Charles Hamilton, The Starphoenix
March 19, 2014 6:06 AM

"I can't get you a definite date on the start of construction. To be safe, I will say not 2014," said John Nasser, president of Victory Majors Investment Corp.

The site of the landmark $250 million River Landing hotel-condo-office project has sat idle for years. When the company took over the project in 2010, Karim Nasser - John's father - said construction would be complete by 2013.

Now, after years of delays, at least one city councillor wonders if the project is too ambitious. [...]

Source: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...672/story.html

-------------------------------------------------------------

No surprise here.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 2:46 PM

Yep, not surprised.

BUT, "progress" is being made!

Last edited by Echoes; Mar 19, 2014 at 2:57 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 4:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Yep, not surprised.

BUT, "progress" is being made!
And once again how long is Nasser allowed to speculate on Saskatoon's premier piece of river-front property? 10 years? 20 years? perpetuity?

Pretty sad this land wasn't parcelled off years ago and to have had something already built on it. River Landing was planned back in 2007?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 5:01 PM
arf

Condolences to Saskatoon. The city deserves better than this process.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan