HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 12:54 AM

Does anyone know what all the construction at Bell MTS Place is? The entire area from Moxies to the main entrance has been hoarded and had a big crew for a few weeks.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 2:15 PM
What could go wrong?

I thought I heard Moxies lease was coming up and True North was not going to renew it. I believe they wanted to use the space for arena purposes.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 2:48 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I thought I heard Moxies lease was coming up and True North was not going to renew it. I believe they wanted to use the space for arena purposes.
That sounds interesting... I'd be curious to know what they have in mind for the space. With all of the restaurants in the area I was thinking that space could be put to better use.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 3:57 PM

More condos coming to St. Norbert -> http://leparcontheriver.com/

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn99 View Post
That looks fine

Edit: it reminds me of the Riverwood Sqaure. I’ve always loved its colour combination. It has quite some character with red.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 10:03 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn99 View Post
that strip across from co-op is it?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 10:34 PM

Moxies - Possibly out of MTS Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I wonder how quickly they are out and if that would mean a move for Moxie's to True North Square, Winnipeg Square (330 or 360 Main)..or something of a new build as a few new projects (mostly mid scale) are rumored for downtown TBA near Christmas/New Year?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
that strip across from co-op is it?
Just south of Cloutier Dr and across from South of the Border condos.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That sounds interesting... I'd be curious to know what they have in mind for the space. With all of the restaurants in the area I was thinking that space could be put to better use.
Doing a reconfigured and expanded team store would be near the top of my list if I was behind the planning at Bell MTS Place. The current shop is still small and cramped compared to what other cities have and it is a crazy popular store and great source of revenue for the team.

As others have pointed out Moxies could easily be relocated to True North Square to continue to capture the lease revenue from them within the Chipman empire. It is also an equal possibility that Chipman is annoyed with Moxies after the whole Milestone mess from CentrePoint. Moxies and Milestones have the same root company as their parent.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 4:33 PM

With Moxies having an entrance into the building, it also seems like a logistical nightmare since the no re-entry policy came into place last season.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 5:12 PM

I haven't been to the Moxies in a few years. I would assume they have closed access during events from inside the arena. For the ticketing reason mentioned above. If Moxies was removed it would open up that front area immensely.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I wonder how quickly they are out and if that would mean a move for Moxie's to True North Square, Winnipeg Square (330 or 360 Main)..or something of a new build as a few new projects (mostly mid scale) are rumored for downtown TBA near Christmas/New Year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Doing a reconfigured and expanded team store would be near the top of my list if I was behind the planning at Bell MTS Place. The current shop is still small and cramped compared to what other cities have and it is a crazy popular store and great source of revenue for the team.

As others have pointed out Moxies could easily be relocated to True North Square to continue to capture the lease revenue from them within the Chipman empire. It is also an equal possibility that Chipman is annoyed with Moxies after the whole Milestone mess from CentrePoint. Moxies and Milestones have the same root company as their parent.
@ Cory they're not related to Milestones at all, they're direct competition. Milestones is Recipe Unlimited (fka Cara). Moxie's is owned by Northland Properties, who is currently developing TNS Phase 2 and also owns Chop Steakhouse, who is going into Sutton Place.

Could definitely see Moxies in TNS for that reason, would end up with a much nicer patio as well. They haven't touched that Moxies since it opened, would be a good opportunity for a refresh. Could also see them just shutting down as Moxies has been running into issues all over the country. They decided to rebrand upmarket and compete against Earls and Joey ~10 years ago, but haven't done a thing to update the brand or locations since. They've had serious issues with franchisees, which is why St. Vital closed, and I've heard Regent is also not doing well.

I could see them expanding that Jets Gear and making another gate with entry right onto the concourse to take some pressure off the main entrance. Then "focus" the main one on access to 300s & suites on game days. As well, possibly expanding that area of the concourse a bit as it's always very crowded with the main entrance and Bud Club right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
With Moxies having an entrance into the building, it also seems like a logistical nightmare since the no re-entry policy came into place last season.
You always had to scan in and out of Moxies before anyway. Not much has changed, you just can't go back in if you leave. You can still exit there and scan in.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 4:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

moxies is so meh

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 4:03 AM

^Yeah, when they rebranded they just changed all the cosmetics and show, didn't do much to the food.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 4:11 AM

Maybe they can split Moxies space between an expanded Jets Store and a bar area not unlike those corner bar areas in the upper deck. It would be a shame to lose the Moxies patio so I hope it remains.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:39 PM

All those restaurants are just chains with pre-made food. They're all meh depending upon what you like. Go in for some chicken wings and it's fine. You want a nice steak, go to Rae and Jerry's.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
All those restaurants are just chains with pre-made food. They're all meh depending upon what you like. Go in for some chicken wings and it's fine. You want a nice steak, go to Rae and Jerry's.
Maybe if you’re in your 60’s or if you have a time machine to the mid 1980’s.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 6:06 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Balderdash... Rae and Jerry's serves a fine steak and the atmosphere is spot-on!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 8:43 PM

from the throne speech today

Quote:
Following the review of the tax increment financing process, a new approach will increase private investment, mitigate taxpayer risk and promote the strategic useof tax increment financing to maximize benefits to Manitoba. This strategy will form part of the new economic development plan, building on success in encouraging development - not just downtown, but across Manitoba.
sounds like there will be some money available but we'll see how much will be going to downtown projects. what are the projects that are rumoured to be hold until TIF is in place? bradburn block, medical arts building? I thought someone mentioned railside? 108 James received funding under the final TIF but hasn't started construction. are there any others?

Last edited by headhorse; Nov 21, 2018 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 9:07 PM
surely you agree with me

that's great news.

I hope they use it to focus on affordable housing downtown and infill growth outside of downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan