HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 7:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Yeah, I said it needs to match global standards. It doesn't - like having a proper one-seat-ride to the CBD. I would expect such things for a city that claims to be the world's capital - i.e, your signature. And LaGuardia is the smallest airport. I'm talking about the whole airport system which is sub par. JFK is an outdated airport design with several terminals overcrowded or having been built in the mid-century.

And again, you sound annoyed and come across as brusque. Chill out. I obviously want NY to do better for its own benefit.

Not annoyed at all, I'm actually laughing at you, like you can't be serious. Take whatever billions you think should be spent to "impress" the world, and spend it on the subways. Then whatever you have left of that, get a rebuilt bus station and spice up Penn a little more. But if you can throw in an extra billion or two, there are some schools, parks, and other things more important than an "impressive" airport (by your standards) that could use the extra bucks. Thanks in advance.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 3:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Not annoyed at all, I'm actually laughing at you, like you can't be serious. Take whatever billions you think should be spent to "impress" the world, and spend it on the subways. Then whatever you have left of that, get a rebuilt bus station and spice up Penn a little more. But if you can throw in an extra billion or two, there are some schools, parks, and other things more important than an "impressive" airport (by your standards) that could use the extra bucks. Thanks in advance.
I don't give a crap what you're doing. I'm outta here. You obviously don't have any understanding.

Last edited by aquablue; Oct 5, 2017 at 3:12 AM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 9:08 PM

I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times but I can't seem to find the details. Will there be an airside connection for the entire airport once the Delta terminal is complete?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 12:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I don't give a crap what you're doing. I'm outta here.
Great.

Here's a link with the basic rundown of the redevelopment...

http://www.amny.com/transit/laguardi...ore-1.12268455

Quote:
Today’s LaGuardia has been built up over decades to meet increased demand. Marine Air Terminal, known as Terminal A, was built in 1939.

Terminal B, or the Central Terminal Building, opened 25 years later, in 1964. The terminal serves as the airport’s nexus and handles the majority of its passengers.

Terminal D opened in 1983, with Terminal C following in 1992.

Once billed as the “air gateway to America,” Terminal B has fallen into such disrepair that former Vice President Joe Biden once referred to it as a “Third World country.” Now significantly outdated, LaGuardia has been surpassed in usage by both Newark and Kennedy airports.

LaGuardia’s isolated terminals, a product of “sporadic and piecemeal development,” hinders plane movement, which leads to gate delays and significantly dampens the commuter experience, officials say.

Quote:
Over the next four years, LaGuardia Airport will be completely rebuilt under a plan from Cuomo and his Airport Advisory Panel.

The governor pushed to build a Central Terminal Building with a “world-class” main entrance, more mass transit connections and a better utilization of LaGuardia’s relatively small real estate to the tune of an estimated $8 billion.

The project will link all four terminals through one new facility that will be built 600 feet closer to the adjacent Grand Central Parkway. Pushing the airport toward the highway will make way for two miles of aircraft taxiways to improve plane movement, which would then reduce delays, according to the governor.

To support the shift, a new roadway network is being built along with a 3,000-car parking garage, known as the West Parking Garage.

An AirTrain from the Willets Point 7 train station, as well as ferry service to the Marine Air Terminal, were proposed to increase mass transit options. While announcing new private investments toward the project on Aug. 8, 2017, Cuomo emphasized the importance of linking LaGuardia to the subway through an AirTrain system.

Quote:
The new LaGuardia's $8 billion price tag is being funded by both private and public dollars, with 75 percent coming from private sources, according to Cuomo.

The first half of the project will cost $4 billion through what is considered the largest public-private partnerships for infrastructure in the United States, the governor said, and consists of replacing Terminal B, a new 1.3 million-square-foot building with 35 gates.

In August 2017, Magic Johnson Enterprises and Loop Capital, which together make up JLC Infrastructure, announced a $10 million equity investment with LaGuardia Gateway Partners, the consortium of developers leading the rebuild.

Ground broke on the project in June 2016. The governor’s office estimated that the facility will be open to the public in 2019 with the entire project completed by 2021.

The second half of the project will involve redeveloping and connecting the Delta-operated terminals C and D to the airport. That work, which is also expected to be done by 2021, is estimated to cost $4 billion and will be financed primarily through Delta, with the Port Authority contributing $600 million.

The renovation will include four concourses with 37 gates, and is considered the largest airport investment in the company's history, Delta CEO Edward Bastian said.

Port Authority money will go toward building new supporting infrastructure around Delta’s terminals, like ramps, an electrical substation and connecting roadways.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 10, 2017 at 1:12 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times but I can't seem to find the details. Will there be an airside connection for the entire airport once the Delta terminal is complete?

Still can't find this. Anyone know?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:24 PM

Design Sketches

Kinda like how they derived at the present design.

https://issuu.com/hoknetwork/docs/20...95950/53998049

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 9:23 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
Still can't find this. Anyone know?

this is what you are looking for:

https://www.panynj.gov/business-oppo...efing-book.pdf

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
Yes, you're absolutely correct. And I've seen that document before. It was the prelim to the design that we're looking at now. Most of the post that are online don't have the current Delta design with the extended concourse on the east end of the terminal.

My post actually gives us the detailed information and design of what is actually being built (the current version); eventhough, we know there will be tweaks here and there. But I can compare the photos from my weekly tweeter feed https://twitter.com/lgacentral and I can compare with renderings @ laguardia.com http://laguardiaairport.com/redevelopment/renderings/ to get an idea of where we at with the construction.

But yes, I've checked that doc out multiple times. I might have downloaded it as well, but once I notice the discrepancy in the drawings, I did a little more research to fine the most up-to-date version. We can simply check the dates to verify that thou.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

Thanks but that's from 2012. I am just wanting to know if the the new LGA, when completed will all be airside walkable. I can't tell be the latest renderings and haven't seen any answers to this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZeig1 View Post
Yes, you're absolutely correct. And I've seen that document before. It was the prelim to the design that we're looking at now. Most of the post that are online don't have the current Delta design with the extended concourse on the east end of the terminal.

My post actually gives us the detailed information and design of what is actually being built (the current version); eventhough, we know there will be tweaks here and there. But I can compare the photos from my weekly tweeter feed https://twitter.com/lgacentral and I can compare with renderings @ laguardia.com http://laguardiaairport.com/redevelopment/renderings/ to get an idea of where we at with the construction.

But yes, I've checked that doc out multiple times. I might have downloaded it as well, but once I notice the discrepancy in the drawings, I did a little more research to fine the most up-to-date version. We can simply check the dates to verify that thou.
Thanks for this. Any idea about my question?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 4:06 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 7:18 AM

Wow! Looks great! Keep doing it!

Happy New Year!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 12:59 AM

Will the Air train connecting to Willets Point make LaGuardia the airport of choice for travellers coming to NYC? I have used LaGuardia before, but prefer Newark just because the connection to the subway is more convenient (great shuttle bus service to Union Square Station). I might just not be aware of a good shuttle from LaGuardia, but the Air Train makes sense since it is already pretty close to existing subway lines.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:57 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ generally for domestic flights lga is already the airport of choice and many people just take cabs there. the lowest transportation cost would be to take the subway and bus, which is fine if you dont have a lot of luggage. i dk if the airtrain will make that much better for all the cost of building it, but since its happening we’ll see i guess.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 12:49 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I wonder if this will become reality?

Now that the prison island is planning on closing.

Credit: NYY

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_alex View Post
I took the PATH-> LIRR-> AirTrain yesterday. It was quick and comfortable.
Two transfers across 3 different services is neither quick nor comfortable.

Quote:
I explained the situation to you. The air train works fine. The length of time is an annoyance, but that's up to individual tolerances. You also didn't acknowledge anything I said about the current situation on the one seat ride option. I researched the issue for you personally to tell you the situation at hand and you instead decided to write a snarky post. Last time I'll bother, you clearly have little interest in NYC transport development despite asking for information on the subject.
The length of time is not an annoyance, it makes it an unviable option.

Quote:
They may be architecturally more impressive - with bigger floor areas and taller roof heights, but they are merely pretty sheds with skylights. Crowded shopping malls with an airport attached. Far from perfect, and can't match the top airport terminals of the world for innovative and beautiful design. They are extremely generic overall. They even retain you in the shopping area and only give the gate number right before the flight departs. The whole operation is run to make you spend as much money in the mall as possible. Pathetic and base tactics.
It's not just the architecture that matters. It's the amentities and the function of the place.

Security lines at US airports are vastly worse, and although that's largely a function of the TSA, the security areas of American airports all need to be re-designed and expanded for the post-9/11 reality.

Baggage claim is the other thing that stands out. JFK baggage claim simply does not work; not because it's a dirty room with low ceilings, but because something in the operational flow of the airport results in unacceptably long wait times. I don't mind checking a bag back to Heathrow, but will FedEx things to my hotel in NYC before checking a bag going to JFK.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_alex View Post
So taking cost into account is an excuse? That's insane!

You can only issue so much debt. The money allocated towards that takes away from other projects like a new subway line or a new bridge. The cost/benefit ratio is the most important thing! We can't issue unlimited bonds, ya know.
Somehow the US manages to get a lot less for its money than elsewhere.

Although this might be a product of the political system. States are essentially useless entities, and the federal government doesn't spend as much on major cities as they contribute in taxes. So there's a big outflow of tax dollars from New York City that it never sees again, while rural states and exurbs get shiny new highways.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 12:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Somehow the US manages to get a lot less for its money than elsewhere.

Although this might be a product of the political system. States are essentially useless entities, and the federal government doesn't spend as much on major cities as they contribute in taxes. So there's a big outflow of tax dollars from New York City that it never sees again, while rural states and exurbs get shiny new highways.
That's true. NY gets screwed in DC, and it subsidizes much of the rest of America. This will only get worse with the new tax law which royally screws NY.

Apart from that, NY wastes money. Unions in NY makes those in France or Italy look weak. There was an article in the NYT about how it costs seven times as much to do subway work in NY than in Paris or London. The article stated that there were 200 people working on the LIRR extension on any given day who had no discernible role, and they made $1,000 per day!!!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 4:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

I don't see how building a parallel for 13-31 would help LGA's capacity in a meaningful way. When the weather is low, there would be too much conflict with EWR/TEB.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:

Good! They will shutting it down. Too many problems out there.

Quote:

Ah, I think they will build a third new runway and it will reduce the congestion. It should be just fine. They do not worry about flight delay.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development