HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:20 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Also yes, as Acajack said, toque rhymes with cook, and sounds basically exactly like tuque. Why we have an "o" in there, I have no idea.
Pedant alert: it actually rhymes with "kook," not "cook."

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
For me, it rhymes with "nuke" or "puke". Unless it's a toque, which of course rhymes with "Coke".

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
That's what I meant. I just spelled kook/cook wrong.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:30 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I know we see this sort of thing a lot in the SSP forums... as lio says, it's just one of those online discussion forum things. But it's reaching new heights of absurdity in this thread.

"My province is special to me, so god damn it I will not stop until you recognize just how special it is!"
The problem isn't so much that someone thinks the place that they live is special (hey, they live there so there must be something special about it to them), it is when it is repeated to the point of ad nauseum or taken to ridiculous extremes that it is hard not to challenge it. Especially if it involves crapping on somewhere else for that sense of superiority.

I like discussion and bringing up interesting points. I've learned a lot of interesting stuff about places in this country that way.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's what I meant. I just spelled kook/cook wrong.
x2

I knew what Acajack meant.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Canadian music industry exec in Toronto meeting with a bluegrass musician from Saskatchewan last month:

I can't tell which is which though.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:09 AM

^^ is this in reference to Acajack posting erroneous statements on ever single page of this thread again?

I don't know where Acajack "jacked" the photo from (since it has no citation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
There might be a specific cultural subset of Canada that is "The Southern Prairies", but there's definitely no Saskatchewan subculture.

(i.e. I can't think of a single Saskatchewan "thing" that would feel shockingly alien to people in Medicine Hat and Brandon.)
But you are from Quebec, how would YOU know about any Saskatchewan subculture that people in Med Hat or Brandon don't already know though? .. think about it..

Everyone in Canada knows about Saskatchewan Rider football subculture whether they want to know about it or not.. wouldn't shock people in Med Hat or Brandon even though most people in those cities wouldn't know specifics most Saskatchewan people do know.

'Bunny Hug' is another Saskatchewan subculture item a lot of Canadians have heard of about, again may not be totally alien to most people in Med Hat or Brandon, but definitely specific to Saskatchewan.

Quote:
bunnyhug.. A fleece, pull-over style sweater with a large pocket on the front, and a drawstring hood. Is almost exclusive to Saskatchewan; outside the province is usually known as a hoodie.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bunnyhug

Food wise, how many people from Med Hat or Brandon know about the largely Saskatchewan term 'Vico'.? i'd say most people in those two cities don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vi-Co

If you were to ask ANY one from Saskatchewan what the term 'RING THOSE ____*'
(fill in the blank*) refers to, everyone that's ever lived in the Province would know EXACTLY the cultural event it refers to but again most people in Brandon or Med Hat wouldn't.. not to mention anyone else in Canada..

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:19 AM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Food wise, how many people from Med Hat or Brandon know about the largely Saskatchewan term 'Vico'.? i'd say most people in those two cities don't.

(everyone in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu QC calls chocolate milk «Vico»... Just saying. I guess it's like calling a "refrigerator" a "frigidaire"...)

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
(everyone in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu QC calls chocolate milk «Vico»... Just saying. I guess it's like calling a "refrigerator" a "frigidaire"...)
ya, I read that too.. 'Vico' was sold in Quebec too..

like calling a adhesive bandage a 'band-aid'

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:47 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I never knew that. Sounds like Milo in Australia.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Weird. I have American friends in that area and they've never heard of "toque" before I introduced the term to them.

Also yes, as Acajack said, toque rhymes with cook, and sounds basically exactly like tuque. Why we have an "o" in there, I have no idea.
In French? When I say Toque it rhymes with Duke! I quickly checked online to make sure I wasn't going crazy and it seems not.

Edit: I see I wasn't alone in this.

Last edited by SaskOttaLoo; Sep 20, 2017 at 4:22 AM. Reason: see above

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOttaLoo View Post
In French? When I say Toque it rhymes with Duke! I quickly checked online to make sure I wasn't going crazy and it seems not.

Edit: I see I wasn't alone in this.
If, like me, your "tuque" rhymes with "duke", then you also speak of the evening "nyews" and describe young people going to school as "styoudents". Or at least it does in my case, although I think it is a studied, rather than inherited, pronunciation.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 5:24 PM

Quote:
^^ is this in reference to Acajack posting erroneous statements on ever single page of this thread again?

I don't know where Acajack "jacked" the photo from (since it has no citation)

But you are from Quebec, how would YOU know about any Saskatchewan subculture that people in Med Hat or Brandon don't already know though? .. think about it..

Everyone in Canada knows about Saskatchewan Rider football subculture whether they want to know about it or not.. wouldn't shock people in Med Hat or Brandon even though most people in those cities wouldn't know specifics most Saskatchewan people do know.

'Bunny Hug' is another Saskatchewan subculture item a lot of Canadians have heard of about, again may not be totally alien to most people in Med Hat or Brandon, but definitely specific to Saskatchewan.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bunnyhug

If you were to ask ANY one from Saskatchewan what the term 'RING THOSE ____*'
(fill in the blank*) refers to, everyone that's ever lived in the Province would know EXACTLY the cultural event it refers to but again most people in Brandon or Med Hat wouldn't.. not to mention anyone else in Canada..
Things like bunnyhugs and "Ring those phones!" and Vico may be idiosyncrasies specific to SK (Quebec usage excepted -- even I knew that one!), but a specific subculture they do not make. Every province has these little things, but they are not enough to make one stand out from the others as being counterculture as you posit.

This is all that other posters like acajack have been trying to convey these last few pages. Nobody here is trivializing SK in this discussion -- I haven't sensed an ounce of that. So this chip on your shoulder, "Only because I'm from SK!", Rodney-Dangerfield-don't-get-no-respect type thing isn't coming off very well.

If there's any internet forum out there where a considerable amount of members have a base level of knowledge of, respect for, and interest in ALL provinces, cities, and regions of Canada as Skyscraperpage, then please send me the link.

It's wonderful to talk about all the little quirks that make our respective parts of the world a little bit different, or make us laugh, or make us beam with pride, or make us seem like weird aliens. But using tiny little things like the Dead South (great band by the way) or the fact SK has never had an Amazing Race team (???) to argue that Saskatchewan is ignored by the rest of the nation? Well, you'll get more eye rolls than nods of agreement (including from a lifelong Saskatchewanian like me).

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 8:33 PM

^^ you are a self-depreciating nimby though.. more likely to post Saskatchewan skyscraper proposals in the 'ugly Canada' thread before posting an actual objective post in any other thread.

If you think Saskatchewan gets more exposure than it should especially in Canadian pop culture, for example like being blocked out of Canadian reality TV, then that's your opinion but sometimes you have to stick up for your beliefs instead of rolling over and playing dead if that's what you are use to doing all your life, as a push over in the Canadian environment having others telling you how you should be.

If you were to check out some of the sports related threads you'd realize that Saskatchewan gets $#!+ flung at it more than any other province, mostly because of Canadians taking shots at the Riders.

Rodney Dangerfield?.. I'll have to look that one up..

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 8:41 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

In our NL SSP chat on Facebook, Ayreonaut shared a pic of Mexico City (that pic, that most of us here know). jeddy1989 thought it was gross but it's one of the rest of our favourite city pics. (my #thirdworld reference was to that article about us, not the pic of Mexico).

It's hard to believe that in that pic is probably several times the population of my entire province.

But it's not overwhelmingly urban. It's still short buildings. It's not that different from our rowhouse areas, or Kensington, or whatever else - it just goes on forever.

That's the type of thing that, in North America, relies on age or size. And it's mandatory for me to get that sense of being a real meaty city.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
^^ you are a self-depreciating nimby though.. more likely to post Saskatchewan skyscraper proposals in the 'ugly Canada' thread before posting an actual objective post in any other thread.
That's the best thing I've ever been called on here! Actually, it may be the only thing I've ever been called on here. Honestly, thanks for the hearty laugh.

What I posted in the Ugly Canada thread wasn't in any way, shape, or form a skyscraper proposal. It was a delusional man's pipe dream.

Real proposals I post diligently in the Canadian City Proposals thread. I also diligently post updates of real projects like River Landing and the Remai gallery in appropriate threads. If you had a sense of what I post you'd know that.

I've also posted a number of Saskatoon photo tours over the years (see links in my signature) of my own photos taken over many hours and days. Nothing self-deprecating or NIMBY to be found in those posts about real things.

By the way, I take no offense to being called self-deprecating. To me, self-deprecation is an enviable attribute that conveys humour, modesty, intelligence and wit. I'm not suggesting that I have those characteristics, but clearly you think I do. Thank you.

Last edited by Echoes; Sep 20, 2017 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 1:58 AM

^^ Sometimes you have to stick your neck out & challenge other's false beliefs otherwise you are just a 'yes' man for what everyone else says. I've been called many names on SSP simply because of my integrity & not letting other forumers belittle me.

If I hadn't posted on this thread the last couple of days how would Acajack who believed & randomly stated there couldn't possibly be any sitar players in the province have realized that Saskatoon has a world renowned sitarist that plays stadium concerts.

How would the guy from Toronto realize that any group that has a banjo player doesn't automatically qualify that band as being Bluegrass genre.

How would others on this forum have discovered that Saskatoon CMA has the highest per capita Mexican/Tex-mex restaurants, of which are either independent or chain eateries.

Echoes, you have a great love & take wonderful pictures of your city and you follow your civic developments astutely but it also doesn't really add much to other's knowledge of your city if you just follow whatever everyone perceives & says and you don't correct them when they state inaccuracies.

I have a feeling it could be a generational difference between you & me possibly, but I tend to point things out that others would have never discovered if I hadn't mentioned it. It rubs other Canadians the wrong way sometimes but i'm not responsible for any hurt feelings in that regard.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 11:41 AM

Last edited by north 42; Sep 21, 2017 at 12:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 2:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
^^ Sometimes you have to stick your neck out & challenge other's false beliefs otherwise you are just a 'yes' man for what everyone else says. I've been called many names on SSP simply because of my integrity & not letting other forumers belittle me.

If I hadn't posted on this thread the last couple of days how would Acajack who believed & randomly stated there couldn't possibly be any sitar players in the province have realized that Saskatoon has a world renowned sitarist that plays stadium concerts.

How would the guy from Toronto realize that any group that has a banjo player doesn't automatically qualify that band as being Bluegrass genre.

How would others on this forum have discovered that Saskatoon CMA has the highest per capita Mexican/Tex-mex restaurants, of which are either independent or chain eateries.

Echoes, you have a great love & take wonderful pictures of your city and you follow your civic developments astutely but it also doesn't really add much to other's knowledge of your city if you just follow whatever everyone perceives & says and you don't correct them when they state inaccuracies.

I have a feeling it could be a generational difference between you & me possibly, but I tend to point things out that others would have never discovered if I hadn't mentioned it. It rubs other Canadians the wrong way sometimes but i'm not responsible for any hurt feelings in that regard.
The thing is that I didn't think Saskatchewan "sucked" before any of this began anyway. It has nothing to do with sitar players or Tex-Mex restaurants or the SW corner of your province having a borderline subtropical climate.

There is usually more than meets the eye to any place in the world. This applies to Saskatchewan and any other city, province or country. But there are also levels of uniqueness and singularity that are apparent to most people, even if you or others may disagree with your home's "ranking" on that scale.

So all of this is mostly about your personal eagerness for the uniqueness and greatness of Saskatchewan to be recognized, not about anyone overtly disrespecting the place.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 2:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

For example, my humble and reluctantly urbane city of Gatineau is actually home to the second-best sommelier (super duper global wine expert) in the world several years running. I can go to the wine bar/restaurant owned by this person for lunch today if I want.

And a film-maker who was nominated for the Oscar for best foreign film and now makes Hollywood movies with the likes Reese Witherspoon, Naomi Watts, Liev Schreiber, etc. grew up around the corner from me and is friends with a number of my good friends.

I didn't think SSP Canada needed to know this in order to pump up my city's credibility. At least not until now.

Well, actually I still don't think any of this is relevant to our everyday discussions on here. Nor do I think this makes my city a place that people need to publicly acknowledge is culturally exciting or dynamic in a way that makes us stand out (counter-culturally or otherwise)...

(This is probably the last time I'll mention any of this on SSP.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada