HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Well we got some friends coming in from up north and California for the big cardiology doctor thing and we have to figure out where to take them. Of course they all want to see Buckhead but we were thinking about showing them some good old Georgia barbecue, any recommendations?
It's not as popular as Fat Matt's, but I've been enjoying the ribs at 5th Street Ribs n Blues in Technology Square. I think they do a really good job there and the interior is roomier and less grungy than Matt's. No offence to Matt's -- it has that authentic BBQ shack grunge to it that adds to the experience if you're up for it.

Also, just north of Buckhead on Peachtree Rd are Pig n Chick (everything is good there) and Old Brick Pit (great pulled pork sandwich). I hit both of those spots for lunch regularly and have never had a bad meal, though I'll warn that Brick Pit gets kinda smoky inside later in the day from the wood-fired pit -- they need better ventilation. Still, it's cool to know the meat is cooked fresh on premises.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 3:44 PM
Reliable Source

That stuff is carcinogen.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 4:41 PM

I've just discovered Community Q in Decatur and it is the best bbq in town! Fox Bros and d.b.a. are two other very popular places.

I also like all three because they put a lot of effort in their side dishes. Fat Matt's side dishes seem like an afterthought: canned beans, prepackaged potato salad, bag of chips, etc.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 5:21 PM
Reliable Source

I'll collect your social security.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Well we got some friends coming in from up north and California for the big cardiology doctor thing and we have to figure out where to take them. Of course they all want to see Buckhead but we were thinking about showing them some good old Georgia barbecue, any recommendations?
Or the new Buckhead: Westside. Ormsby's, Abattoir, Bacchanalia, JCT, Bocado, Miller Union, etc.

For BBQ, Fox Bros in my hood

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 7:09 PM

Well I was thinking about taking them down to Harold's which was the golden rule for barbecue back in the day. Maybe one of these new-fangled places would be better however. To tell you the truth I don't feel comfortable going to a eating place known as the Abbatoir, seeing as that used to stand for a meat slaughterhouse if you have ever watched one of them working.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Well I was thinking about taking them down to Harold's which was the golden rule for barbecue back in the day. Maybe one of these new-fangled places would be better however. To tell you the truth I don't feel comfortable going to a eating place known as the Abbatoir, seeing as that used to stand for a meat slaughterhouse if you have ever watched one of them working.

You know, it's gotta come from somewhere

FYI, Harold's has gone way downhill. If you want family style, Community Q near Emory is excellent.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 11:46 PM

Well I could just take them to the Williamson Brothers up near us, that's some good barbecue.

I tell you another good place if you know where Campbellton Road runs into Fairburn Road right there in Ben Hill. There's some old boys that just set up a trailer out there in the parking lot. I don't know whether these doctor types would go for that.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 10:01 PM

Meehans is now open downtown in the old Macy's building.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
Meehans is now open downtown in the old Macy's building.
I walked by there a few nights ago and they were completely packed. I think they picked a good spot for this kind of restaurant. Nice to see some more night-time activity going on in this area.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reet View Post
I walked by there a few nights ago and they were completely packed. I think they picked a good spot for this kind of restaurant. Nice to see some more night-time activity going on in this area.
Great news! I like what they did with the exterior. Hopefully they'll have a decent beer selection.

Who has a variety of top-notch beers downtown? High Velocity in the Marriott, Taco Mac at Philips, Mellow Mushroom at Allen Plaza, Side Bar (a few years ago they did), nothing else is coming to mind.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reet View Post
How was the crowd? Business people, college kids, upscale, casual?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
Great news! I like what they did with the exterior. Hopefully they'll have a decent beer selection.

Who has a variety of top-notch beers downtown? High Velocity in the Marriott, Taco Mac at Philips, Mellow Mushroom at Allen Plaza, Side Bar (a few years ago they did), nothing else is coming to mind.
Max Lager is my fave. Other than their house-brewed beer (always good), they have an excellent selection of bottled beers with some of the heavy hitters like Bell's and Dogfish Head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
How was the crowd? Business people, college kids, upscale, casual?
Wish I could say. I just looked at the menu and poked my head in -- it was dark so I didn't get a good look at the people inside. They were a noisy bunch. I remember that much. I'd say casual.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Stat's is great place for beer - or at least unique, as is Max Lagers. 5 Season's is also over near Tech, kinda downtown ish up Marietta.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 9:25 AM
Reliable Source

Here's my review of No Mas Cantina. I was there for lunch yesterday with a person totally unfamiliar with the area. There's definitely an interesting cultural thing about Atlanta Westside ("Da Bestside"). I'm aware that this area appeals to a certain type and is not appealing to another type - mainly European females. They invariably tell me they prefer the Eastside, ie Virginia Highlands etc. Oh well. I believe that males of a certain background (myself included) would more enjoy the ambiance of the Westside. My lunch companion referred to Castleberry Hill as a "slum" and "ghetto" and didn't really feel good getting out of the car in the parking lot. In fact, except for one other patron and one (Mexican) staff, we were the only non-African-Americans in there. It's interesting to speculate how Mexican cuisine interplays with the neighborhood, which is basically a residential and entertainment adjunct of the area black colleges. For me it's something of a disconnect, a similar effect as if I walked into the venue and saw nothing but blue-eyed blond suburbanites. The food was good (though not as good as Rosa Mexicano); the help was friendly and efficient; the music was a bit loud and heavy but anyway I left a generous tip. However, as we arrived toward the end of the lunch business, and during our entire visit the place was definitely pretty empty. I, being a financial guy, wonder how long they can remain.

Last edited by Fiorenza; Mar 11, 2010 at 9:42 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 2:47 PM

Piola is now open next to RA at 12th&Midtown.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
an interesting cultural thing about Atlanta Westside ("Da Bestside"). I'm aware that this area appeals to a certain type and is not appealing to another type - mainly European females.

In fact, except for one other patron and one (Mexican) staff, we were the only non-African-Americans in there.
I've never heard the Westside referred to as "Da Bestside". Maybe you're confusing the "Decatur is greater" slogan often used by south DeKalb residents to uplift their 'hood, which is like telling someone with terminal cancer "it's all good."

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, are you saying that No Mas Cantina is operated by African-Americans, since you, another patron and one Mexican staff were the only non-African-Americans in the hizhouse? WOW - a Mexican restaurant run by blacks - who'd a thought...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 4:01 PM

Well where in tarnation is it? Is that the one that's in a furniture store. As to whose running it it seems to me you've got Latino-Americans doing the cooking in just about every restaurant in town these days, even Chinese and so forth.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 4:59 PM
Reliable Source

I don't know who runs it and I really don't care, I was just giving my little ole opinion.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 5:03 PM

Well a man is entitled to his opinion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta