HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 5:57 PM

Robotic searchlights to light up city during Olympics

Robotic searchlights to light up Vancouver sky during Olympics

Vancouver Sun
November 25, 2009 9:48 AM

VANCOUVER - Beams of light pointed towards the stars will illuminate English Bay and the night sky in downtown Vancouver next February as part of a Cultural Olympiad and City of Vancouver special event for the 2010 Winter Games.

The cool part? The robotic searchlights will follow designs created by people around the world and delivered via the Internet. Called Vectorial Elevation, it is the first time the internationally celebrated work of art will be displayed in Canada and over a body of water.

The light show, which organizers say will create a "quiet canopy of light in the night sky above and on the sparkling surface of English Bay below" will launch at dusk on Feb. 4.

The 10,000-watt lights will move and create patterns silently from locations in Vanier Park and Sunset Beach that cover an area of 100,000 square metres and be visible within 15 kilometres of the city's downtown core, stretching to Richmond, the peaks of Cypress and Grouse mountains and freighters and boats on the water.

This large-scale temporary public art installation is co-commissioned by the City of Vancouver's Olympic and Paralympic Public Art Program and Vancouver 2010 Cultural Olympiad, presented by Bell, with support from the Province of Quebec. The installation - considered one of the world's largest interactive artworks - is by Canadian artist Rafael Lozano-Hemmer and is part of CODE, the Cultural Olympiad's Digital Edition.

"Vectorial Elevation is a unique, magical work that local residents, visitors and people from around the world can enjoy," Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson said in a release. "The installation will not only brighten our night skies, but also bring the Games to the world in an unexpected, interactive way."

More than two million people are expected to view the installation in person in Metro Vancouver, as well as internationally via www.vectorialvancouver.net or www.vancouver2010.com/code. The event runs regardless of the weather until Feb. 28.

Visitors to www.vectorialvancouver.net can design how the lights will move, their angles and how they are clustered in timed sequences to create their own patterns for the world to see. A personalized webpage will be automatically created for each participant to document their design. Organizers estimate 130,000 different patterns will be created in the 24 days the project operates from dusk to dawn.

"Vectorial Elevation is world-renowned and we wanted to see its majestic choreography unfold over Canadian skies for the very first time as part of the 2010 Winter Games," Burke Taylor, vice-president of culture and celebrations for the Vancouver Organizing Committee, said in a release. "Lozano-Hemmer's inspired work manifests the spirit of connectivity that we want to convey through the entire CODE project. It's about using the power of digital technology to include the world in our celebrations."

A real-time video stream of the work from four cameras placed around English Bay can be accessed on the Internet. Those who opt to create patterns can also send a personal dedication to friends or a sweetheart anywhere in the world at www.vectorialvancouver.net. The project was developed in consultation with the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation.
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Vectorial Elevation to light up Vancouver nights during 2010 Winter Games
Worldwide online audience invited to create spectacular patterns of light in sky.

Vancouver, BC — Beams of light pointed towards the stars will illuminate English Bay and the night sky in downtown Vancouver this coming February as part of a Cultural Olympiad and City of Vancouver special event for the 2010 Winter Games.

Starting at dusk on February 4, 2010, 20 robotic searchlights will create a quiet canopy of light in the night sky above and on the sparkling surface of English Bay below with designs created by people around the world and delivered via the Internet. Called Vectorial Elevation, it is the first time the internationally celebrated work of art will be displayed in Canada and over a body of water.

The 10,000-watt lights will move and create patterns silently from locations in Vanier Park and Sunset Beach that cover an area of 100,000 square metres and be visible within 15 kilometres of the city’s downtown core, stretching to Richmond, the peaks of Cypress and Grouse mountains and freighters and boats on the water.

This large-scale temporary public art installation is co-commissioned by the City of Vancouver’s Olympic and Paralympic Public Art Program and Vancouver 2010 Cultural Olympiad, presented by Bell, with support from the Province of Quebec. The installation — considered one of the world’s largest interactive artworks — is by Canadian artist Rafael Lozano-Hemmer and is part of CODE, the Cultural Olympiad’s Digital Edition.

“As Host City for the 2010 Winter Games, we’re happy to collaborate with the Vancouver 2010 Cultural Olympiad and the Province of Quebec to bring this amazing artwork to Vancouver,” said Mayor Gregor Robertson. “Vectorial Elevation is a unique, magical work that local residents, visitors and people from around the world can enjoy. The installation will not only brighten our night skies, but also bring the Games to the world in an unexpected, interactive way.”

More than two million people are expected to view the installation in person in Metro Vancouver, as well as internationally via www.vectorialvancouver.net or www.vancouver2010.com/code. The event runs regardless of the weather until February 28, 2010.

Visitors to www.vectorialvancouver.net can design how the lights will move, their angles and how they are clustered in timed sequences to create their own patterns for the world to see. A personalized webpage will be automatically created for each participant to document their design. Organizers estimate 130,000 different patterns will be created in the 24 days the project operates from dusk to dawn.

“Vectorial Elevation is world-renowned and we wanted to see its majestic choreography unfold over Canadian skies for the very first time as part of the 2010 Winter Games,” said Burke Taylor, vice president of culture and celebrations for the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC). “Lozano-Hemmer’s inspired work manifests the spirit of connectivity that we want to convey through the entire CODE project. It’s about using the power of digital technology to include the world in our celebrations.”

A real-time video stream of the work from four cameras placed around English Bay can be accessed on the Internet. Those who opt to create patterns can also send a personal dedication to friends or a sweetheart anywhere in the world at www.vectorialvancouver.net. The project was developed in consultation with the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation.

“Vectorial Elevation is a quiet, contemplative display of light sculptures that will connect many countries around the world with Vancouver. When I saw English Bay I knew it would be the perfect spot to create our largest canopy of light to date and for the first time we are also able to use renewable energy,” said Montreal-based Lozano-Hemmer.

Previously, the installation was staged in Mexico, Spain, Ireland, and France where it received accolades such as Lyon’s prestigious Trophée des Lumières.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 6:27 PM

Excellent idea!

I also thought about the concept of using searchlights as a "Cathedral of Light" around BC Place Stadium and the Olympic Party Zone to indicate an air of excitement and that "Something is Going On Here" from afar.

Unfortunately, I decided not to bring it up as it also has some negative historical connotations.

Anyway, I'm glad about this newfound type of Cathedral of Light as it will certainly add to the nightly excitement.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 6:45 PM
+

Awesome!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 7:04 PM

wow! very cool. it'll be neat to walk under the lights along the seawall.

english bay gets the nightly searchlights, false creek has the nightly water spout show now we're just waiting to hear about coal harbour.

my prediction - the new lighting scheme at canada place will be the nightly show for coal harbour and fireworks on the olympic barge.

that will make all three bodies of water surrounding downtown 'animated' at night.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 7:57 PM
In Love With YVRthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
wow! very cool. it'll be neat to walk under the lights along the seawall.

english bay gets the nightly searchlights, false creek has the nightly water spout show now we're just waiting to hear about coal harbour.

my prediction - the new lighting scheme at canada place will be the nightly show for coal harbour and fireworks on the olympic barge.

that will make all three bodies of water surrounding downtown 'animated' at night.
Excellent! Between the fireworks and these, English Bay is definitely the place to be for the light spectaculars

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 8:14 PM

the english bay tree wil have some competition this year

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 8:26 PM

I was debating staying completely away from Vancouver during the Olympics, but the more of this stuff I read, the more I think I'm going to venture down there a bunch just for the experience. I don't care if I see any events as they're typically better (besides hockey) on TV, but these lights add to the once-in-a-lifetime experience I think.

Going to be awesome I think.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 8:33 PM

Nice!

But... they'll have to be turned off by 6:30 right ?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 8:33 PM

Should be cool especially if we have one of those lingering fog days.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 8:54 PM

Nice!
Makes sense the fireworks won't have residential all around them - Coal Harbour would be best for that. Note how they all said "quiet" multiple times?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 10:23 PM

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

My only concern is the possibility of vandalism since these lights are on ground level.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 12:00 AM

$1B in security costs. I'm assuming they'll at least have rent-a-cops out there in force.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 12:36 AM

As a robot, this is pretty exciting to hear about.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 12:50 AM

^haha nice to see you guys getting some representation...

This should be amazing. I remember visiting toronto a few years ago when pulse was on and it was incredible, you could see it from all over the city and it was constantly moving and flashing (pulsing if you will).

I like how it makes a gateway entrance to false creek... kind of a symbolic entrance to the heart of the games, with BC place and Athletes Village. Would be cool if they could make it permanent, but we all know that wouldnt have a snowball's chance in hell.

It kinda goes against VANOC's attempts at creating a "green games" though no?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 12:51 AM

twenty 10 kilowatt lights on from dawn till dusk? can't wait to hear what the NIMBYs have to say about this!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 1:08 AM

Not in my backyard?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bils View Post
twenty 10 kilowatt lights on from dawn till dusk? can't wait to hear what the NIMBYs have to say about this!
Isn't it dusk until dawn, rather? You won't be able to see much during the day..

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 7:10 AM

I'd love to see them "vandalized". When they turn on one day as a whole bunch of bat signals, you'll know who did it!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 7:11 AM
BANNED

Soooo cheesy

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 5:28 AM

From a reliable source:

large scale, slow-motion projections of winter athletes are going to be projected on the sides of skyscrapers in downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]