HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierforlife17 View Post

I sure hope one day we consider building like this downtown. So unique and awesome .. What about doing this with that little white bank( Former Eagle Emporium) downtown on main street!
Because this is completely disrespectful to the role that historic building play. To me that is no different than the silly facades that used to be on Crossroads mall.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 3:47 AM

Well unfortunately you have a choice on density or sprawl and smaller older buildings will either be destroyed or built upon in the future. Have you ever been to New York(i grew up there)? every year more and more old sometimes historical buildings are torn down to make place for skyscrapers and its only a matter of time before this happens in Utah... well thats not entirely true since people in Utah love having their 15 ft patch of grass for a front yard rather then living in the city. i pray to god that changes. But the point is in the not to far future either build above and around older buildings or you will sse them disappear slowly but surely.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 5:40 AM

The old Zions bank is RIGHT on the corner of 100 S and Main. There would be no chance of every building a building quite like that above and around it. It would definitely have to be built around, but no way could it be built on top. Would that even be a structural possibility for that old building?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 5:52 AM

Wasn't there a proposal back in the day for a building similar to that one, that would wrap around the old Hansen Planeterium bldg?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazefirelight View Post
The old Zions bank is RIGHT on the corner of 100 S and Main. There would be no chance of every building a building quite like that above and around it. It would definitely have to be built around, but no way could it be built on top. Would that even be a structural possibility for that old building?
I don't think the older building in the photo above is built upon, it's just build over. There's probably zero structural weight on the actual old building.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierforlife17 View Post
Well unfortunately you have a choice on density or sprawl and smaller older buildings will either be destroyed or built upon in the future. Have you ever been to New York(i grew up there)? every year more and more old sometimes historical buildings are torn down to make place for skyscrapers and its only a matter of time before this happens in Utah... well thats not entirely true since people in Utah love having their 15 ft patch of grass for a front yard rather then living in the city. i pray to god that changes. But the point is in the not to far future either build above and around older buildings or you will sse them disappear slowly but surely.
Vertical density is not the only anti sprawl measure. Smaller older buildings certainly do have a role in every city. Obviously not all building are worth saving just because they are old. But, I would much rather see infill happen on top of parking lots or replace buildings that have no real value long before we were ever faced with buildings on top of historically significant buildings. And don't fool yourself, SLC is no where near NYC in terms of development. It would be hundreds of years, if ever, that SLC would be close to the type of building intensity that exists in NYC. Historic Preservation is one of the leading land use issues in NYC and there are news articles almost daily on the subject. Sure there are examples like the hotel that once stood where the Empire State Building stands now, but removing historically significant buildings and replacing them future iconic buildings is the exception and does not happen regularly.

And why knock on people for having a 15 foot patch of grass? That is less than you find in most urban neighborhoods in SLC, like the avenues, sugarhouse, 15th and 15th etc. A small separation between the public and private realm is excellent urban design. The distance is relative to the land use. I think what you mean are the 30 foot setbacks in suburban communities.

Last edited by cololi; Dec 19, 2008 at 6:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 5:02 PM

I have a quarter of an acre in Bountiful. My grass will be shrinking in April as I begin my addition to my home. However, I have told my wife that after all the kids are raised and out of the home, we will be selling the house and moving downtown into either Tower 1 at City Creek Center or a newer, taller highrise condo tower that will be built in the future.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 5:25 PM

I think that that would be an excellent idea T-Mac. If I still live in SLC when I'm out of school I may live down there.

Holy crap, I just remembered that I had a dream last night with an earthquake in it. It was a sign of the BIG earthquake that's supposed to happen in the valley. Hopefully it's not prophetic.

Anyway, I don't think it'd be possible to build around the bank with an overhand over the old bank. It would have to be completely around it, in the parking lot. Wouldn't be a very bad idea, though. There would just need to be some space compensated for the drive through.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 7:27 PM
Bring out the cranes...

More pics of 222 South Main

Update Dec. 19th, 2008
( Please don't use bold letters. LOL )

Can't even see the Wells Fargo building from this view anymore. ( 100 South and West Temple.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 7:37 PM

Tmac said, "I have told my wife that after all the kids are raised and out of the home, we will be selling the house and moving downtown into either Tower 1 at City Creek Center or a newer, taller highrise condo tower that will be built in the future."

I do hope that you discuss that with your wife, not just tell her what you're going to do. Notice that you said "I have told my wife....we will be selling the house and moving..." That kind of dicision, and hopefuly every decision you make, should be made with your wife's equal input. I know you didn't mean it to sound like that, but it makes it sound like you decide everything and comand your wife around like her opinion doesn't matter.

I, too, have considered moving into the development at some point myself. I would love to get an apartment (or condo) with an excellent view of the Temple. Maybe even a corner view from the northwest side of the 32-story tower so that I can have a nice view of the Temple on the north side, then a nice view of the valley on the west. That would be most excellent!!

Last edited by Urban_logic; Dec 19, 2008 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 7:55 PM

A big welcome to the forum Urban logic, loved all of your great stat's on the other thread (very interesting). Oh, and of course that was just T-Mac humor about the wifey.

...And thanks for the great pics Projects. Wow, "the more cladding that goes on 222, the more I'm liking it."

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 10:02 PM

Why thanks, Delts! I have been a long-time reader (about 2 years), but I've never really felt like participating. I lived in the Bay Area over in Nor Cal up until just a few months ago, so it wasn't like I could post any pics or really even give anything of value to the forum. Now that I'm here, I can contribute a bit more. I go to school downtown, but I think you, Tmac, Projects, etc have that pretty much covered. I work in South Jordan and live in West Jordan and I've noticed quite a few projects out here in the Jordans that I could snap shots of, though. For example, there is a Zion's Bank branch going up on 90th South and 40th West, a 3-story Mountain America Corporate Office at Jordan Landing on roughly 40th West and 70th South, a 4-story apartment complex going up at about 72nd West and 78th South called the Serengetti (not sure about the spelling, think Africa), some fancy, colorful condos going up off 114th South and 32nd West just off Bangater by the Distirict, and of course the mid-Jordan TRAX line including the bridges going up over 78th South by Gardner Villege and Bangater between 78th and 90th South. I am excited to begin contributing to the forum! Where should I post my Jordan updates at? The SLC Metro forum? Or is there some sort of South Valley forum?

Last edited by Urban_logic; Dec 19, 2008 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 10:32 PM

Don't worry Urban Logic. My wife tells me to jump and I say how high on the way up. I put the little smiley icon on their to show that it was a little humor. She's not too keen on the downtown thing so I have many years to try and convince her. Don't worry about the equality in my marriage. I love my wife very much and she is the most awesome woman I know.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 10:37 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_logic View Post
Where should I post my Jordan updates at? The SLC Metro forum? Or is there some sort of South Valley forum?

Awhile ago we started up a thread for non downtown projects. "Salt Lake MSA Thread."
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=150265
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_logic View Post
Why thanks, Delts! I have been a long-time reader (about 2 years), but I've never really felt like participating. I lived in the Bay Area over in Nor Cal up until just a few months ago, so it wasn't like I could post any pics or really even give anything of value to the forum. Now that I'm here, I can contribute a bit more. I go to school downtown, but I think you, Tmac, Projects, etc have that pretty much covered. I work in South Jordan and live in West Jordan and I've noticed quite a few projects out here in the Jordans that I could snap shots of, though. For example, there is a Zion's Bank branch going up on 90th South and 40th West, a 3-story Mountain America Corporate Office at Jordan Landing on roughly 40th West and 70th South, a 4-story apartment complex going up at about 72nd West and 78th South called the Serengetti (not sure about the spelling, think Africa), some fancy, colorful condos going up off 114th South and 32nd West just off Bangater by the Distirict, and of course the mid-Jordan TRAX line including the bridges going up over 78th South by Gardner Villege and Bangater between 78th and 90th South. I am excited to begin contributing to the forum! Where should I post my Jordan updates at? The SLC Metro forum? Or is there some sort of South Valley forum?
Hey Urban logic, Talking about your general area and the many projects still going on, despite the economic troubles. There's a great little article from the Deseret News this morning about Taylorsville to the north of you, but same general vicinity. I posted it over on the Salt Lake MSA thread.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 6:03 AM

A Very Cold Morning

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 11:13 AM
Chairman

Nice tower crane shot!!!

Who is the GC for 222?

-sb

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 3:04 PM

Okland

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 6:01 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I'll say it again and again. What a great piece of infill this building is.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 3:03 PM
West bench livin'

222 looks sexier by the second... Love the glass!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West