Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 4:15 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Why Americans, particularly millennials, have fallen out of love with cars

the trend continues......

Quote:
Why Americans, particularly millennials, have fallen out of love with cars
Mary Wisniewski
Chicago Tribune

Car ads sell a romantic fantasy. They often feature a driver on the open road taking the curves along a mountain or speeding through a curiously depopulated urban landscape, rugged and free.

But in the real world, congestion and the high cost of car ownership may have cooled the romance between Americans and their cars, especially for younger adults, according to a new national survey.

Almost half of more than 1,000 consumers surveyed do not enjoy most of the time they spend driving, said a study by Arity, a Chicago-based transportation technology and data company created two years ago by Allstate Insurance.

The numbers are starkest for millennials. More than half of adults between the ages of 22 and 37 say a car is not worth the money spent on maintenance, and that they would rather be doing something other than driving.
full article: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...106-story.html

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 6:21 PM

id love a car but remembering how much i hated having one i can live without it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 7:55 PM

Cars have gotten too expensive. The average price paid for a new car in the US is now over $35,000. And many people have now gone to 6-year loans to pay it (when I was a kid, a car loan over 3 years was rare). Along with student loans many are paying, they simply can't afford it.

I can afford it but I doubt I'll ever buy a new car again. The wear and tear/damage on a car driven in the city is too much and, for different reasons, on the highway also. Suburbia seems the only place having a car is necessary and you can keep the thing relatively undamaged. So I rent for long distance trips and probably will ultimately buy a subcompact used car for the city (presently I have a motor scooter there but I'll eventually get too old to ride that I expect).

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 8:30 PM

But given the severe decline in transit ridership and continuing growth of car VMT in America, cars, like democracy, is the worst form of transportation except for all other options.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 8:34 PM

Show me a "Car-Free" person and I'll show you a friend group that secretly feels put-upon.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 8:42 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ huh?

i was car-free for over a decade before settling down and getting married. i never leaned on friends or family for their cars. walking, biking, transit, cabs, and car sharing/rentals can easily 100% supplant car-ownership if you choose to live in an urban environment.

and now that we're in the era of ride sharing, going car-free is an even easier proposition for urban dwellers. and soon we'll have autonomous car-sharing, which will make the idea of personal automobile ownership even more anachronistic in urban settings.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 12, 2018 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 8:53 PM
The City

Car ownership is definitely expensive. And sitting in traffic and hitting 42 stoplights on my daily commute just makes me want to become a serial killer.

I really wish I could just teleport myself everywhere.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 10:17 PM

The survey results can manifest in different ways too. I live in the 'burbs, and have two young kids, but am *really* trying to make it work with 1 car, because I would have been in the majority in the survey of "millenials" that don't enjoy car ownership.

I currently bike to work, which I love. There is about once a month right now when I have to go to cities or areas for work that aren't bikeable for me. I take public transportation when I can, but still end up borrowing my in-laws' extra car on occasion, making me guilty of probably making them feel slightly "put-upon" per chrisvfr800i comment. Currently looking at ZipCar to fill that last gap so I don't have to ever borrow. The goal is to make our car basically a child-transportation-device.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 10:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i'm in a similar boat. one car, two kids, and i bike to work the vast majority of the time, year round.

my wife works from home >80% of the time, so our car is more or less a "child-transportation-device", and it sits idle on the parking pad in back of our building most days.

you should definitely look in to zip-car or other car-sharing service for occasional work sites you need to drive to. i also use uber/lyft for those kinds of things from time to time and then just expense it.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 2:56 AM

Zipcar is great when you need it. You can rent a compact car or a truck or van, it's great. But you have to adjust the seat, mirrors and radio station each time.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:28 AM

This article sure is dumb. Many people don't enjoy the time they spend driving? Yeah, no shit sherlock. Because most people aren't driving through the Grand Tetons, they're driving to work and to home. I don't think anybody ever suggested that driving to work was meant to be an experience you look forward to. And the slight decrease in cars per household is just a result of smaller households, not any actual shift.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:32 AM
>~< , QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i View Post
Show me a "Car-Free" person and I'll show you a friend group that secretly feels put-upon.
Yeah. No. In fact, if a car-full person visits my apartment, I'm the one who feels put-upon because I feel bad they have to pay my building's garage exorbitant rates...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:30 AM

I haven't fallen out of love with cars just yet. But I'm not a Millennial.

Speaking of cars, what do you guys think of the 2019 BMW 3-series' rear? It looks like a Honda Accord!

Car and Driver

Cars are looking more and more alike. No WONDER people are supposedly falling out of love with them! Shitty they-all-look-the-same designs!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
I don't think anybody ever suggested that driving to work was meant to be an experience you look forward to.
Tell that to car advertisers.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Speaking of cars, what do you guys think of the 2019 BMW 3-series' rear?!
Looks like any traffic.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 5:20 AM
Drenched in Sun

Young people take Uber. They love cars.

They don't love the bus -- that's why there is a trend in declining transit counts.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 5:23 AM
Drenched in Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Cars have gotten too expensive. The average price paid for a new car in the US is now over $35,000. And many people have now gone to 6-year loans to pay it (when I was a kid, a car loan over 3 years was rare). Along with student loans many are paying, they simply can't afford it.

I can afford it but I doubt I'll ever buy a new car again. The wear and tear/damage on a car driven in the city is too much and, for different reasons, on the highway also. Suburbia seems the only place having a car is necessary and you can keep the thing relatively undamaged. So I rent for long distance trips and probably will ultimately buy a subcompact used car for the city (presently I have a motor scooter there but I'll eventually get too old to ride that I expect).
When you were a kid, most people paid cash for their cars. That's what my grandparents did and my parents. I don't think my parents financed a car until the 1980s. Of course cars used to cost 1-$3,000.

There are definitely high quality commuter cars, high mpgs, low insurance costs, for a fraction of the $35,000 average price.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 5:27 AM
Drenched in Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
But given the severe decline in transit ridership and continuing growth of car VMT in America, cars, like democracy, is the worst form of transportation except for all other options.
Yeah this thread reminds me of something along the lines of "the suburbs are dead/dying".

Well, no. The suburbs have never been more populated and continue to absorb most of the growth and will continue to absorb most of the future growth of this country.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 5:34 AM

Cars are awesome.

If there is a male millennial who doesn't like cars... he's probally not the source of fun at a party. Best to avoid those folks.

But really... who the hell doesn't like cars?

Could be that maybe they've never drive a high powered car before... but rest assured, driving can be fun.

Traffic isn't, but everyone in a while, its good to take the car out for a spin.

I think folks that can afford better cars might not share the viewpoint that cars suck.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Car ownership is definitely expensive. And sitting in traffic and hitting 42 stoplights on my daily commute just makes me want to become a serial killer.
For me, its not lights, but people who do 10-20 mph below the speed limit AND are on the left lane. Left lane bandits are terrible folks.

Likewise with people who don't understand how a merge works or folks who take forever to accelerate. Don't gun it, but jesus, it should take a minute to get to 55 or 60.

Also Honda Odyssey drivers. In NJ/NY, I'm convinced that minivans come with dents in them as a standard option. I can't tell you how many minivans have frickin dents in them. And the drivers are something else.

If you see a mini van, just speed up, and pass them. Stay away from those folks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation