New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 10:10 PM
Bionic Boogie

DSC_3415 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 6:54 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 4:22 PM
Astorian

October 15th, 2011

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 1:58 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 6:12 AM
JoeCooper

Thank you so much for all the continious updates on this one! I love the interior shots of the upper floors including the elevators, offices and conference rooms. The only thing that bothers me was the last time I saw it in person which was just a couple weeks ago, one of the lights on the eastern wedge toward the upper floors was flickering, just wondering if it's because BOA is in so much trouble now they can't shell out for new light replacement at this point? J/K obviously, but it does make one wonder...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 11:48 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.newyorkology.com/archives...active_spi.php

Skyscraper spires on 42nd Street may go interactive

November 23, 2011

Quote:
Observers of the Manhattan skyline have noticed a curious change over the past year as two of the tallest skyscrapers sometimes appear to be conspiring together at night. On 42nd Street, the night lighting of One Bryant Park and 4 Times Square are often lit up in identical or complementary colors.

“The idea is that the two of them can work in sync. They can talk to each other,” said Michael Hennes, a senior associate of Cline Bettridge Bernstein Lighting Design. The spire atop the 4 Times Square building (also known as the Conde Nast building,) is a powerful broadcast antennae while the One Bryant Park light is purely decorative, Hennes said while leading a lighting tour earlier this fall for openhousenewyork. The two spires are connected underground via ethernet and controlled from One Bryant Park, he said.

The 51-story One Bryant Park tower became the city’s second-tallest building when it was completed in 2010. It’s 1,198 feet tall, including the 253-foot spire, according to the building’s specifications compiled by Durst. Certified LEED Platinum, the office tower is home to many of Bank of America’s corporate operations as well as the corporate headquarters of the Durst Organization, which developed the skyscraper.

Hennes, whose firm started work in One Bryant Park’s lighting in 2004, said the Durst Organization has been considering a way to let the public control the spire’s colors. “They talked about using a user interface so you could get on the web and make it do things,” Hennes said. “The idea is to make it something that connects to people.”

Indeed, that possibility is still in the works for One Bryant Park and 4 Times Square. “We are exploring expanding the capability of the spires and interactivity is an intriguing concept” Jordan Barowitz, spokesman for The Durst Organization, told NewYorkology via email on Tuesday.

As something of a tease, @spireworks on Twitter describes itself as “an interactive lighting installation in New York City.” But for now, the Spireworks webpage lists only a Twitter feed and a logo of the Conde Nast and Bank of America towers...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 7:53 PM
JoeCooper

Great article NYGUY! I guess that's the first public friendly endeavor the owners/developers of this building are partaking regarding the public input on the lighting of the spire. It seems one can't even take a peek in the lobby without someone throwing some kind of shit-fit... The security did answer some valuable questions I had however...

Regarding the height, the overall height should be changed to 1,198' as stated in the article above. It's also ironic that 1,198' is the exact same height as the roof of Trump Tower Chicago! According to emporis, and a New York Times article from earlier this year the official roof height is 953'6". Doesn't suprise me since there were mor mechanical floors added to the design since the original blue prints were released in 2004 hence tweaking the design to a minor extent including removing the wind turbine.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 5:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
Regarding the height, the overall height should be changed to 1,198' as stated in the article above. It's also ironic that 1,198' is the exact same height as the roof of Trump Tower Chicago!
I'm not sure exactly where that height measures from. It's always been listed at 1,200 ft. It could be 1,198 ft or it could just be that from a particular point.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 11:30 PM

They need to extend the feautre to the New York Times Tower too, three interactive spires would be even cooler!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 1:23 AM
Urban Thinker

This is my favourite modern building in NYC. I saw it in person in the summer, and I was floored. The lines of the building and the way it interacts with the street are just incredible. And the lighting at night (my hotel room faced this building) is beautiful.

Last edited by haligonia; Dec 27, 2011 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 2:09 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.complex.com/city-guide/20...tall-and-green

Look Up: Bank of America's NYC Headquarters Is Tall and Green

By Babak Bryan
Dec 19, 2011

Quote:
Only two years complete, Bank of America Tower is the first skyscraper to have attained a Platinum LEED Certification, the highest rating currently available for environmental sustainability. Among its many positive features, the building is made from recycled materials and has a cooling system that produces ice during the off-peak hours, reducing its demand on the city’s power grid. The building also has its own cogeneration plant to provide energy, including a wind turbine within the tower's top spire. The large air exchanges by the building's rear on 42nd Street not only filter incoming air, they also clean the building's exhaust.

Though it has an entirely glass curtain wall, Cook + Fox Architects, specified the latest in insulating glass and interior light dimming technologies, which consequently allows for maximizing natural lighting while reducing solar heat gain. The façade folds and bends as it rises, creating an elegant massing even as it soars to its 1,200-foot height, making it the second tallest in New York (after the Empire State Building). An elaborate system to capture and filter rain water to use for the building's toilets is housed on the roof. The only break in the tower's glass front is at the base, where it peels back to accomodate the doubly-high entrance atrium at the corner of 42nd and 6th.

The doubly-high entrance atrium at the corner of 42nd and 6th.

The façade folds and bends as it rises, creating an elegant massing even as it soars to a height of 1,200 feet.

The tower is the second tallest in New York.

The bend in the façade is obvious even from up close.

The large air exchanges by the building's rear on 42nd Street not only filter incoming air, they also clean the building's exhaust.

The tower's spire contains a wind turbine that provides energy.

A closer look at the spire.

The wood underside of the entrance atrium.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 6:30 PM

Decent building but I hate the spire. It looks like a antenna instead of an architectural spire.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 5:06 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
Decent building but I hate the spire. It looks like a antenna instead of an architectural spire.
Agree, and it is way too tall! But I guess the lighting scheme makes up for it.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 7:14 PM

Well, I might as well share the photos I took of the building when I was in New York in May. Here you go!

Bank of America Tower by brenGT2, on Flickr

Obscured Giant by brenGT2, on Flickr

Giant Reflective Facets by brenGT2, on Flickr

Pierced Crystal by brenGT2, on Flickr

Three Spires by brenGT2, on Flickr

North View from ESB, Floor 102 by brenGT2, on Flickr

Enjoy!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 7:04 AM

DSC_0454 by calibratedzeus, on Flickr

DSC_0449 by calibratedzeus, on Flickr

DSC_0439 by calibratedzeus, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 11:46 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Wish it was a supertall by roof top. Would of been the first in Midtown since the ESB.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Wish it was a supertall by roof top. Would of been the first in Midtown since the ESB.
That would have been nice, but it is within 12 meters. I call that close enough.
Visually, I don't think it would have made much of a difference.

The above pictures are fantastic btw.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 12:34 PM
Architect Curmudgeon

What is the three faced clock tower in the background with the globe on top/
Not seen that before.
"God damn modern architect's and their Brtualism, and 'realism' and damn concrete boxes. Why I remember back when buildings had STYLE back when you would have real ARTISTS working away both inside and out!
"Um, aren't you like barely 30?"
"Thats not the point you damn whipper snapper!"

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 12:41 PM
don't *meddle*...

That's the famous Paramount Building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture