HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMemphis View Post
There is DEFINITELY something going on with 100 N Main. Normally there is less than 20 windows lit up on this building at night (reflecting it's low occupancy rate) But last night, it was lit up like a CHRISTMAS TREE! Remodeling maybe? New Lease?

[IMG][/IMG]

yesterday was summit day and 100 N. Main is the first site to require it

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 9:54 PM

Quote:
There is DEFINITELY something going on with 100 N Main. Normally there is less than 20 windows lit up on this building at night (reflecting it's low occupancy rate) But last night, it was lit up like a CHRISTMAS TREE! Remodeling maybe? New Lease?

[IMG][/IMG]

Whoa...haven't seen any news articles very recently but something is definitely going on...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 10:27 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
There were a few articles in the summer about the sell of 100 N. Main and the possibilities of a building rehab. The new owners were interested (still might be) in nominating the revolving restaurant at the top on the National Register. I don't know anything, but there could be renovations taking place in there at night. Back during the summer a portion of the tenants were notified that they would need to relocate, and the total percentage of the building that was actually being occupied was at or around 20%. I'm guessing that there are still some tenants around and that there is some work taking place in there after the usual work hours.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 11:57 PM

i really like the sketch of the observation tower and the arrangement of retail shops. this would be well placed near beale st. or near the riverwalk. it seems that i remember a proposal to build an office building in nashville in the form of a guitar. to me, that is not very appealing; however, the neck as a tower is really something that could be played off quite well. this could be a gateway entrance to the bike/pedestrian walk way or cycling area. if not there, then certainly near midtown or on union or poplar at the interstate interchanges. this would certainly be another anchor, for which the city could be branded. immense possibilities. revenue from the tower, revenue from a restaurant or coffee house, magazine, maps of the city, best places to visit, everything memphis, etc.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooper_rebel View Post
Memphis should pursue an MLS team. If done right, I believe that it would be extremely successful. Memphis is in that sweet spot size that the MLS should be targeting. (Mid-sized city with no NFL team)

If the MLS targeted cities like Birmingham, Memphis, OKC, Portland, etc. they would be a lot more successful than competing for people's time in large cities with multiple pro franchises.
The new USFL football league coming back and is expected to probably have a team in Memphis for the 2015 season. Plus the MLS would have to have a new stadium just to have a team in Memphis.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
The new USFL football league coming back and is expected to probably have a team in Memphis for the 2015 season. Plus the MLS would have to have a new stadium just to have a team in Memphis.
I think that would be a possible tenent for a downtown stadium, the problem with that is that most new MLS stadiums are 25 to 30 thousand. It could still be used for additional exhibit space for a convention center. My whole thing about the Liberty Bowl relocating to such a facility it to get it out of late Dec/early Jan weather. It a lower bowl consisted of 30,000 chairback and an upper area of 20,000 bleacher type seats with backs with lots of loge and suite seating in between for a total of around 55,000 with a curtain system to block the upper deck when unused. Fifa has approved of some synthetic surfaces these days. A stadium should still have the ability for the end areas to move in toward the center of the field for large scale basketball events like later rounds of the NCAA like I described earlier. the Liberty Bowl can still host U of M, may be as the U of M grows a west campus with classrooms and such could be incorporated with a fairgrounds development to grow it into somewhat of an on campus facility.

I hadn't heard of the new USFL. Memphis has a tortured history with semi to pro football ventures. It's all pure fantasy on my part, But I'd love for Memphis to land a top notch convention center and stadium to complement Beale St. and the FedEx Forum. I think Memphis could be successful with a resort with an indoor water park like Great Wolf. It's great for mini vacations like those taken during fall breaks or a winter escape. We have gone to Dallas or KC to do this 4 years in a row now, love to throw Memphis in that mix.

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; Nov 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 4:29 PM

I stopped by 100 N main last night because I saw lights on up on the rooftop restaurant. The security gaurd said the new owner was upstiars in the restaurant having a barmitsfa (spelling LOL) and that I could come back tomorrow and talk to him about the remodeling they are doing to the building. The restuarant looked AMAZING lit up last night... And obviously has been remodeled or cleaned up to host a party!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 4:53 PM

ILoveMemphis: Did you speak to the older gentleman that sits at the desk in the lobby? I speak to him whenever I stop in...very nice and informative.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 9:39 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomJ View Post
So what's the deal with the opposite corner from South Junction- is that more apartments as well?
So yeah, last week when I drove by the South Junction Apartments to take those photos I completely overlooked the fact that there's already work being done for the lot you're talking about...the foundation has already been poured and it looks as if framing will begin within the next week or so, if not this week. I should probably pay more attention to my surroundings.

I drove by today I saw the progress its making. I didn't have a chance to take any pictures, but I'll try to get back down there later on this week.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
I think that would be a possible tenent for a downtown stadium, the problem with that is that most new MLS stadiums are 25 to 30 thousand. It could still be used for additional exhibit space for a convention center. My whole thing about the Liberty Bowl relocating to such a facility it to get it out of late Dec/early Jan weather. It a lower bowl consisted of 30,000 chairback and an upper area of 20,000 bleacher type seats with backs with lots of loge and suite seating in between for a total of around 55,000 with a curtain system to block the upper deck when unused. Fifa has approved of some synthetic surfaces these days. A stadium should still have the ability for the end areas to move in toward the center of the field for large scale basketball events like later rounds of the NCAA like I described earlier. the Liberty Bowl can still host U of M, may be as the U of M grows a west campus with classrooms and such could be incorporated with a fairgrounds development to grow it into somewhat of an on campus facility.

I hadn't heard of the new USFL. Memphis has a tortured history with semi to pro football ventures. It's all pure fantasy on my part, But I'd love for Memphis to land a top notch convention center and stadium to complement Beale St. and the FedEx Forum. I think Memphis could be successful with a resort with an indoor water park like Great Wolf. It's great for mini vacations like those taken during fall breaks or a winter escape. We have gone to Dallas or KC to do this 4 years in a row now, love to throw Memphis in that mix.
With Nashville having a NFL franchise, Memphis never will. However, Memphis doesn't need an NFL team to have a specific need for a new stadium. An enclosed stadium similar to the Fargo Dome in North Dakota would be ideal for Memphis. Say 50,000 seating capacity, with upper decks on sideline sides only (like the Pyramid was designed), luxury suites, and other top amenities. Maybe have a large glass atrium in one endzone to allow natural light into the stadium during daytime, and a view of the skyline from inside.

Since the UM has been wanting a better facility, it would be perfect and meet their seating requirements. And it would be ideal for the Southern Heritage Classic and the Liberty Bowl Classic. It could also hold major concert events like NCAA Final Fours, indoor soccer-such as a MLS team, indoor truck & tractor pull events, rodeos, graduations, etc. But it would be mainly used for large size conventions that the CCC cannot hold now.

The city could then scale down the CCC to be a smaller events meeting center and make the dome stadium the main convention facility. That way you're killing two birds with one stone.

Another reason why an indoor stadium/convention center is a great idea is because of the overwhelming cost for a new cc. A new one in Memphis would cost around $500-600 million at least. Whereas an indoor stadium/cc could be built for about $350 million. It does not have to be a retractable roof stadium either. Make it a stationary roof, reducing the construction cost. Another possibility could be to build it like the former RCA Dome in Indianapolis, where the bowl seating was all chairback and the upper deck was all bleachers. This option would reduce the cost even more, to maybe as cheap as $300 million. That's half of what a new cc would cost.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 12:26 AM

Yrsah
Quote:
With Nashville having a NFL franchise, Memphis never will. However, Memphis doesn't need an NFL team to have a specific need for a new stadium. An enclosed stadium similar to the Fargo Dome in North Dakota would be ideal for Memphis. Say 50,000 seating capacity, with upper decks on sideline sides only (like the Pyramid was designed), luxury suites, and other top amenities. Maybe have a large glass atrium in one endzone to allow natural light into the stadium during daytime, and a view of the skyline from inside.

Since the UM has been wanting a better facility, it would be perfect and meet their seating requirements. And it would be ideal for the Southern Heritage Classic and the Liberty Bowl Classic. It could also hold major concert events like NCAA Final Fours, indoor soccer-such as a MLS team, indoor truck & tractor pull events, rodeos, graduations, etc. But it would be mainly used for large size conventions that the CCC cannot hold now.

The city could then scale down the CCC to be a smaller events meeting center and make the dome stadium the main convention facility. That way you're killing two birds with one stone.

Another reason why an indoor stadium/convention center is a great idea is because of the overwhelming cost for a new cc. A new one in Memphis would cost around $500-600 million at least. Whereas an indoor stadium/cc could be built for about $350 million. It does not have to be a retractable roof stadium either. Make it a stationary roof, reducing the construction cost. Another possibility could be to build it like the former RCA Dome in Indianapolis, where the bowl seating was all chairback and the upper deck was all bleachers. This option would reduce the cost even more, to maybe as cheap as $300 million. That's half of what a new cc would cost.
Yeah, that's what I said right down to the bleachers in the top. It's just wishful thinking though on our part. I've sat is some miserable weather conditions over the years while attending Liberty Bowl games. Earhart wants at least 60,000 but the Liberty Bowl lacks premium seating with club amenities and such. The suites they do have are so far up it's ridiculous.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 12:31 AM

i am afraid that i have to disagree w/ huntsvillenative in part. i often see and hear about fedex forum as the best sports and concert venue in the southeast and one of the best in the nation. now, i am no authority on sports venues, but i believe the forum is really architecturally attractive, both inside and out. yet, when a convention center is mentioned, it seems, that citizens and sports fans in general, want an inexpensive convention center. a cc is a good investment for the city for a number of reasons. one reason is revenue from the various conventions that could be brought into the city. of course, the larger the convention the larger the receipts for the city, businesses, etc.

again, if it is worth the investment, and memphis is promoting itself as a city of destination for tourist, conventions, sports enthusiasts, and the like, then the convention center should be built as a quality facility, not on the cheap. we should seek to build a really nice structure, and one that attracts visitors to the structure. i have noticed that other cities have really impressive buildings, and i think memphis should be in that camp. after all, many of those who visit are decision makers for their cities. it hasn't been long ago, where i read that indianapolis is a city that should be compared to memphis and memphis to it, due to city similarity. i have seen several centers that are constructed of aluminum and steel. the form and the color of such facilities are very flattering.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 1:23 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Elkington, Harris Talk of Beale Street Nonprofit
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...eet-nonprofit/

Quote:
The next manager and developer of the Beale Street entertainment district should be a nonprofit entity similar to the Downtown Memphis Commission that focuses on improving the district and planning for its expansion, according to longtime Beale Street developer John Elkington and Memphis City Council member Lee Harris.
Quote:
“I think we need a consistent plan of where we’re going,” Elkington said. “I think when I was involved, one guy made the decisions basically, and that was probably not good. But I got all the criticism, so I guess I got to make the decisions.”

Harris talked of a more cautious approach than when the district was seeking to lease up property, which is now 94 percent occupied.

“I’m not sure that the next manager of that street should be a for-profit corporation,” Harris said. “For-profit operations are going to risk-seek. And I’m not sure this is the time to swing for the fences.”
Quote:
“I don’t think the city ought to be investing in a baseball stadium, and I don’t think the city should do a lot of the things that they do. I see Beale Street as a finished product that has an opportunity to expand and do other things,” Elkington said. “All the things that have made us an attraction are starting to get some hair on them.”

He favors an expansion to the south and the west, toward the Mississippi River, as well as an expansion of the Memphis Cook Convention Center or the construction of a new convention center.

Harris said the city “doesn’t have the capacity” now to finance either option for a convention center.

“I think the immediate priorities that we could actually touch and get something done on right now are hotel rooms,” Harris said. “If you move west down Beale Street, there is property there.”
Quote:
For nearly 20 years, Elkington has talked of a westward and southern expansion that links up with the National Civil Rights Museum, a link that turned up as part of the Wharton administration’s larger Heritage Trails development plan, which has stalled.

Harris foresees a nonprofit entity that includes business leaders and elected leaders guiding the district’s future direction and growth.

“I think we’ve got models – the Downtown Memphis Commission,” he said. “They manage day-to-day operations. They have a dedicated revenue source. But they still come to the City Council and city government at least once a year so we can go over their budget and how they are spending their resources.”

Elkington agrees on a nonprofit group that makes group decisions but doesn’t think direct involvement by elected officials in that body is the way to go.
I think this is a pretty good idea, and its somewhat surprising that there hasn't been a separate body in charge of the planning and future expansion of Beale. There's a lot of potential that hopefully can be taken advantage of with a larger entertainment district and the further tying of that district the the National Civil Rights Museum, etc.

There's also a small mention on the expansion of the Cook Convention Center as well as the idea of a new convention center, which if that ever happens should be located on the south side of downtown.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 1:31 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Overton Square Banner Hints at Music Return
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...-music-return/

Quote:
In the place where the marquee for Lafayette’s Music Room in Overton Square was once anchored, a new banner went up last week by Loeb Properties reading “The Music Is Back.”

Covered over with a blank tarp is another sign above it also by the Overton Square developers that bears a striking resemblance to the old marquee.

Bob Loeb, president of Loeb Properties, has said an announcement is near on what is going in the storied space with wrought iron railing. And the announcement is also clearly some kind of introduction of a live music venue element to a still-forming entertainment district that is now restaurants, bars and theaters with an emphasis on building diversity.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Elkington, Harris Talk of Beale Street Nonprofit
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...eet-nonprofit/

I think this is a pretty good idea, and its somewhat surprising that there hasn't been a separate body in charge of the planning and future expansion of Beale. There's a lot of potential that hopefully can be taken advantage of with a larger entertainment district and the further tying of that district the the National Civil Rights Museum, etc.

There's also a small mention on the expansion of the Cook Convention Center as well as the idea of a new convention center, which if that ever happens should be located on the south side of downtown.
There's no way to expand the CCC except building on top. And that would require ALOT of additional infrastructural developing which would be extremely costly. It would be cheaper to go the route of a new multi-use indoor stadium to replace the aging Liberty Bowl and to take care of the convention issue. Otherwise Memphians will be paying out of the butt for a new CC just to keep pace with Nashville. That's not smart investing.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
Yrsah

Yeah, that's what I said right down to the bleachers in the top. It's just wishful thinking though on our part. I've sat is some miserable weather conditions over the years while attending Liberty Bowl games. Earhart wants at least 60,000 but the Liberty Bowl lacks premium seating with club amenities and such. The suites they do have are so far up it's ridiculous.
Both Ehrhart and SHC CEO Fred Jones have expressed that they would prefer a new stadium but are satisfied with the Liberty Bowl Stadium as long as it's upgraded. But the city is wasting money pumping it into an outdated stadium that lacks amenities and luxury suites close to the field. That's where the money is made. As for the capacity issue, the current seating is only 59,000 since the ADA upgrades were made this year. And there was talk about reconfiguration of the seating to replace bleachers with all chairbacks, but it would be too expensive for a 50+ year old stadium to undergo. It would be more feasible to invest into a new stadium instead. An indoor stadium that operates as a convention center, a la the Alamodome in San Antonio, would be perfect for a city like Memphis and the wisest move.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 5:24 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
There's no way to expand the CCC except building on top. And that would require ALOT of additional infrastructural developing which would be extremely costly. It would be cheaper to go the route of a new multi-use indoor stadium to replace the aging Liberty Bowl and to take care of the convention issue. Otherwise Memphians will be paying out of the butt for a new CC just to keep pace with Nashville. That's not smart investing.
And building a domed stadium without an NFL team with suites purchased by corporate companies is? I don't think expanding the Cook is wise by any means, but convention centers hold conventions, domed stadiums are for football games. That's not saying a stadium can't hold conventions, but if you're in the game to bring conventions to town, don't build an indoor stadium when trying to compete with cities that have built convention centers.

Quote:
Both Ehrhart and SHC CEO Fred Jones have expressed that they would prefer a new stadium but are satisfied with the Liberty Bowl Stadium as long as it's upgraded. But the city is wasting money pumping it into an outdated stadium that lacks amenities and luxury suites close to the field. That's where the money is made. As for the capacity issue, the current seating is only 59,000 since the ADA upgrades were made this year. And there was talk about reconfiguration of the seating to replace bleachers with all chairbacks, but it would be too expensive for a 50+ year old stadium to undergo. It would be more feasible to invest into a new stadium instead. An indoor stadium that operates as a convention center, a la the Alamodome in San Antonio, would be perfect for a city like Memphis and the wisest move.
San Antonio built the Alamo Dome to attract an NFL team, when that fell through they utilized what they already had to hold conventions.

The Liberty Bowl and Southern Heritage Classic as well as Memphis football aren't enough to justify a domed stadium. That's not a knock on any of them, it's just that for a domed stadium that size, you need an NFL team that brings in millions of dollars. The City is pumping money into the Liberty Bowl because they understand the current tenants' needs.

Quote:
A domed stadium, or any new stadium with bleacher seating is an extreme shortcoming. If you're going to spend money, at least make it nice.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
And building a domed stadium without an NFL team with suites purchased by corporate companies is? I don't think expanding the Cook is wise by any means, but convention centers hold conventions, domed stadiums are for football games. That's not saying a stadium can't hold conventions, but if you're in the game to bring conventions to town, don't build an indoor stadium when trying to compete with cities that have built convention centers.

San Antonio built the Alamo Dome to attract an NFL team, when that fell through they utilized what they already had to hold conventions.

The Liberty Bowl and Southern Heritage Classic as well as Memphis football aren't enough to justify a domed stadium. That's not a knock on any of them, it's just that for a domed stadium that size, you need an NFL team that brings in millions of dollars. The City is pumping money into the Liberty Bowl because they understand the current tenants' needs.

A domed stadium, or any new stadium with bleacher seating is an extreme shortcoming. If you're going to spend money, at least make it nice.
It's not just about football. An indoor stadium could be used for so much more that Memphis cannot offer now, which is lost revenue going to Nashville, St Louis, and other cities that can. If Memphis had a nice modernized stadium already, and just needed a new cc, then a nice new attractive cc would be the way to go. Expensive, but needed. But that's not the case. They NEED both.

Here's just an example of what all a multi-purpose facility could be used for.

- Memphis Tigers football (permanent home)
- Southern Heritage Classic
- Liberty Bowl Classic
- Second major bowl game (new stadium would be attractive)
- Possibly relocate the Senior Bowl to Memphis (tourist destination with Graceland, Beale St and Civil Rights Museum to attract)
- MLS franchise (Fastest growing sport in America. Upper deck could be curtained off to reduce seating capacity)
- Conventions: trade shows, indoor flea markets and auctions, Eposes, religious crusades, international care shows and other events that Memphis can't offer now

Memphis by not having a multi-purpose facility now is losing a lot of revenue that the city desperately needs. They need to start thinking outside of the box and stop living in the past.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 5:27 PM

Trevor,

I did not speak with anyone but the security gaurd at the main desk in the lobby. He said they were going to be doing some construction and remodeling, and that the first thing they did was remodel the rooftop restaurant to have parties. And if you drive by at night, you can see nice lighting up there. Again, the building has been MUCH MORE lit up for a few days now, and there are cars there at night working.

LETS HOPE THIS BUILDING gets NEW LIFE! It's our TALLEST TOWER!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Trevor,

I did not speak with anyone but the security gaurd at the main desk in the lobby. He said they were going to be doing some construction and remodeling, and that the first thing they did was remodel the rooftop restaurant to have parties. And if you drive by at night, you can see nice lighting up there. Again, the building has been MUCH MORE lit up for a few days now, and there are cars there at night working.

LETS HOPE THIS BUILDING gets NEW LIFE! It's our TALLEST TOWER!
I know there are restrictions due to the building's historical status, but I really wish the building could receive a facade remodel similar to Indianapolis' One Indiana Square: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Indiana_Square

Wishful thinking, I know. I just wish that our tallest building was more visually appealing. But just having lights on more often should help.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations