HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 5:06 AM

^^ My Gawd That's frigg'n hideous!!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfargo90 View Post

Are you talking about this? In my honest but personal opinion, this has got to be the ugliest piece of architecture I've ever seen, and I would gladly allow Sioux Falls to beat us vertically... to the world's ugliest skyline. We are very fortunate to have companies such as Kilbourne Group that are incredibly thoughtful and tasteful in their design processes.

Yes, I was also hoping to see Block 9 at least be taller than the state capitol (and maybe it will), but I'm sure that they'll at least make it taller than the Radisson, and at least with that we will no longer have to say that the anchor tenant of our tallest building is a hotel.

In addition, there is no doubt that the development of the Block 9 project, as well as the many others taking place now will bring a significant boost to the residential and workforce population downtown, which along with additional parking structures and flood protection measures, is sure to bring increasingly larger developments over time.

I'm perfectly content with things taking their sweet time, as long as we continue to make sound design choices that keep the classy vibe that is second-to-none in downtown Fargo! One colossal, grotesque development could take that away from us.

BTW, I have been following this thread for quite some time and finally decided to register and put in my two cents.
I don't mind the design at all...not what I would have gone with but at least it's something different and not your typical square/rectangle design...

Any who, I do think your right about the Block 9 project attracting future developments...

Sidetrack, Any news on Bismarck's downtown plans? Saw a while back that they were planning some serious renovations to revitalize the core of their city...I'm talking bigger than Fargo and Sioux Falls put together...but I haven't heard anything about it for quite some time, maybe they are taking their time with it considering the size of the project...

BTW, welome to this board! Glad you signed up finally, this board goes quite some time without any action so more the merrier...and also welcome to jayman4426 for taking the leap as well.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 6:11 AM

^^^ Ya.... good design.... maybe for Dubai!

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:03 AM

Downtown Fargo tower moves forward...

Quote:
On 3-2 vote, Fargo leaders approve $15.5 million in tax breaks for downtown tower
By Adrian Glass-Moore 5/23/2016 Fargo Forum

FARGO - The Fargo City Commission on Monday approved an estimated $15.5 million in property tax exemptions and a loan to help the developers of a downtown high-rise despite opposition from two city commissioners.

The centerpiece of the $98 million Block 9 project is an 18-story tower to house a hotel, offices and condominiums. The project also includes construction of a parking garage and the renovation of the plaza on the east side of Broadway between Second and Third Avenues north.
http://www.inforum.com/news/4039210-...downtown-tower

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:58 PM

Found this video of another Kilbourne development in downtown. Looks like they'll be getting started with construction soon...

Video Link

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:16 PM

South Fargo development breaking ground soon...

Prominent Fargo developer says new $30 million project to be 'cream puff of them all'
By Ryan Johnson 5/24/2016 Fargo Forum

Quote:
FARGO—A new restaurant, shops and a seven-story condominium complex will be coming soon to a new development in southwest Fargo.

Veterans Square, a $30 million planned development on the northeast corner of the intersection of 40th Avenue South and Veterans Boulevard, could start to go up soon, said Kelly Parrett, broker and director of sales for Lexstar Realty, who said final plans were delivered late last week.

Lexstar's CEO and President Robert Leslie said in an interview last month that the company bought the property in 2015.

The project includes four retail buildings—three multi-tenant structures and a standalone building that could house a restaurant—in addition to a separate seven-story condo building that will offer 29 "upper-end" units ranging from 2,500 to 2,800 square feet, Leslie said.
http://www.inforum.com/news/4039976-...-puff-them-all

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:34 AM

Wow, excited for these new projects...finally Burgum's plans are coming to fruition even though it has been scaled down some, which was a disappointment, but still impressed with it...I didn't know about Lexstar's plans for South Fargo...that's great news! Thanks for posting BigTicket!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 3:03 AM

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 3:09 AM

http://www.inforum.com/news/4165477-...j62D3eoUI.link

Sorry double post...I don't know how to delete posts.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 5:07 PM

How do we re-open this thread?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:58 PM

WEST FARGO—Less than two years after opening, the Rustad Recreation Center here will soon double in size, adding an indoor playground and turf playing field.

The West Fargo Park District is planning a $7.68 million expansion of the Rustad Center at 601 26th Ave. E. by adding 55,095 square feet of space to the southwestern side of the building that opened in August 2016.

The expansion will add a second gymnasium, indoor turf field with batting cages, two new classrooms and a dedicated arts and crafts room.

Executive Director Barb Erbstoesser said it has become clear with the popularity of the Rustad Center and park district programs that more space was needed.

"The attendance for our programs has just gone through the roof since Rustad opened," said Erbstoesser, who celebrated 30 years with the district in February. "We are really excited about this. Rustad has been well loved by the community and we are excited to see what the future brings."

Recreation Manager Lance Belisle said the 70-yard by 35-yard turf field will be used for flag football, soccer, lacrosse and other sports, and it will be available for private rental.

Erbstoesser said the district looked at available amenities around the metro from pools to weight rooms and found indoor turf space to be the least common.

"There's really nothing else like what this will be in the area," she said.

The expansion will allow one of the current gym spaces to be turned into an indoor playground, which will have equipment for young children.

"What you would see outside on a playground is what you'll see inside," said Justin Germundson, park district business manager.

Erbstoesser said the district has found few opportunities for children 2 to 5 years old in the community, but a new indoor space would give young children and parents a place to visit year-round.

As part of the project, the current four-lane track on the upper floor will be extended.

"The walking track is probably the most-used amenity here," Erbstoesser said.

The existing inside lane is currently 11 laps per mile and will change to 8 laps per mile, while the existing outside lane is currently 10 laps per mile and will change to 7.4 laps per mile, said Jim Cole, project manager for Zerr Berg Architects.

The Park Board approved the project at a special meeting on Monday, March 26.

Germundson said the project will be paid for without raising the district levy as older bonds the district has passed will be paid off in the next few districts, allowing the district to use current bond funds.

After construction is finished and playground equipment is purchased, Germundson expects the project's total cost to be around $8.1 million, which is still below initial estimates of the project.

"The first time you came to us, the number thrown at us was almost $11 million," Board Member Todd Rheault said.

The current 44,612-square-foot building houses the relocated park district administrative office, includes two basketball courts, four volleyball courts, a one-tenth mile track, pickleball courts, a youth gym, a lobby for gatherings, outdoor patio space, spaces for meetings and events, concessions, retractable bleachers and bathrooms with showers.

The Rustad Recreation Center is free to the public with no memberships, though some specific classes and sports leagues require fees. It was named after Oscar and Martha Rustad, who donated the land for the building.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 2:23 AM
somewhere in-between

^If that's an article (and it seems like it is) you need to cite the source, and only quote a few sentences. Also should be citing the photo source. There are guidelines at the bottom of the page for how to do both.

Last edited by deja vu; Apr 1, 2018 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 12:26 AM

The Block 9 tower project in downtown Fargo has finally topped out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH5JJko9kYg

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 2:42 AM

It's to bad they couldn't make it at least 10-15 feet taller so it could overtake the state capitol as tallest building in the state. Either way though this is great for Fargo. Does anyone have any current skyline photos?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 11:52 PM

Anyone know where I can find recent projects for North and South Dakota? Tried to find a thread for Sioux Falls but couldnt even find one

Last edited by skizzo; Nov 9, 2023 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 12:04 AM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest