HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Are there any other bus services that use it? If not, I guess the next step is demolition. It's only 9 years old.

I don't know what else you could really use it for... a car rental building, maybe? A Winnipeg Transit terminal?

I imagine we might see independent bus companies trying out bits and pieces of the former Greyhound network that seem potentially profitable. Winnipeg-Brandon seems like a good candidate for some kind of service. Not that such operators would necessarily have to use the station at the airport, but they might.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:17 AM

Greyhound was down to one to two trips per day between Brandon and Winnipeg depending on the season. Already competing with them for years has been Brandon Air Shuttle. While it is more expensive, a shared taxi van picks you up/drops you off at your home in Brandon and uses the hotel shuttle area at YWG. Depending on the season they make 3-4 trips per day. While higher end than Greyhound, perhaps they pick up some of the slack.

http://www.brandonairshuttle.com/

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 11:28 AM

Bus are 1/8 full, so Why not change the fleet to smaller buses then these great big Coach liners? In the end I just see this as an opportunity for small independent business person to start a new service, which is a good thing

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:36 PM

^ In the Free Press, an official from Beaver Bus Lines was quoted as saying that the northern routes are profitable, so maybe we'll end up with a regional service that goes up the #6 to the northern cities, and west down #1 to Brandon. It wouldn't be much, but at least there would be something.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:58 PM

You'd think the cargo alone would be profitable on those Northern routes.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:17 PM

I'm going to guess that this will have an impact on New Flyer's motor coach division (MCI) as the buses on the routes being discontinued will be put up for sale to other operators causing the market for new highway buses to dry up a bit.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:57 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I'm going to guess that this will have an impact on New Flyer's motor coach division (MCI) as the buses on the routes being discontinued will be put up for sale to other operators causing the market for new highway buses to dry up a bit.
A lot of MCI's business is in commuter coaches used in the populous areas of the east coast.

A surprisingly large number of used highway coaches end up as motor home conversions.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Are there any other bus services that use it? If not, I guess the next step is demolition. It's only 9 years old.

I don't know what else you could really use it for... a car rental building, maybe? A Winnipeg Transit terminal?
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.90250...7i13312!8i6656

And there it is under construction - 2009.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
A lot of MCI's business is in commuter coaches used in the populous areas of the east coast.

A surprisingly large number of used highway coaches end up as motor home conversions.
Are the Greyhounds that will be disposed of not the same seating configuration as the commuter coaches? I have never been in a commuter coach so I don't have any idea of the seating configuration between a commuter and highway unit.

I guess if you are a minor league sports team you might be able to get a deal on a used highway bus. I have visions of Sam Katz diving the Goldeyes in a "lightly used one owner" Greyhound bus down Hwy75 to play in Fargo to save a few dollars.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:03 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Are the Greyhounds that will be disposed of not the same seating configuration as the commuter coaches? I have never been in a commuter coach so I don't have any idea of the seating configuration between a commuter and highway unit.
I think they are pretty similar.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:30 PM

So does Greyhound own its terminal, or is it leased from the WAA?

The WAA didn't fund the construction of the bus terminal with its MIOP loans, did it?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 9:15 PM
Formerly rypinion

Centrepoint Sold

According to a news release from Artis (https://www.artisreit.com/wp-content...s_071018.pdf):

Quote:
Artis and its partner have entered into an unconditional agreement to sell Centrepoint, a newly constructed 103,446 square foot office building and adjacent 406 stall parkade located in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Artis’ 50% interest of the sale price is $27.3 million, which represents a price per square foot of $527 and a capitalization rate of 6.0%. The transaction is expected to close in the third quarter of this year.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 10:42 PM

I wonder who needs the cash from the sale Artis or Longstreet?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 10:54 PM

Longboat* is a development Corp, could be possible they’re not interested in the management of the building, and this was the plan all along – possibly use funds toward TNS phase 2.

Also possible Artis wants it for 300 Main.

Really both have big projects on the go and could make sense. That’s a pretty good short term profit.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
^ In the Free Press, an official from Beaver Bus Lines was quoted as saying that the northern routes are profitable, so maybe we'll end up with a regional service that goes up the #6 to the northern cities, and west down #1 to Brandon. It wouldn't be much, but at least there would be something.
1, 6, 5/10/16 should be a profitable business. That covers Portage, Brandon, Virden, Neepawa, Dauphin, Thompson and everything in between.

There's one operator (name is escaping me right now, starts with a K) who took on the Selkirk run who also is making a killing in NW Ontario and Southeast Manitoba. I bet they pick up some slack.

Greyhound wants to run long haul I guess. It's hard to believe they can't make a profit between passenger travel and parcels. Many of the clients I work with use it to get to Southern MB and around Southern MB to access services and often when we go to book seats the buses are full. They've drastically cut their routes in recent years. Probably speaks to a crappy operator more than the opportunity.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 1:10 AM

Spent the weekend gaming the Starwood Preferred Guest system to earn status one last time before the merge with Marriott. Hopped back and forth between the two Four Points properties. The one at the airport is now catching up on renovations. A bit odd that there were digital TV channels in the living room and analog in the bedroom, but overall they were nice stays.

The Four Points on Pembina? I know it was mentioned here that the owner is facing some major renovations and I would say that they are definitely needed. Perhaps it was just bad luck that we were surrounded by people with their doors propped open to "party", but we shouldn't have had to look that hard for places to charge devices. When this property became a Four Points I thought it was really good, but not a lot has been updated since then. Things are looking and feeling dated and becoming run down. With the ability to earn status based on "stays" disappearing under Marriott, I don't think we will be back unless things improve.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 3:31 AM

^ I find that a little surprising regarding the Four Points on Pembina. There aren't many decent hotels in south Winnipeg (or ones part of major chains) and I thought that place would be busy with people going to the U of M, sports events, passing through on the Trans-Canada, etc.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 1:53 PM

As I mentioned in the bus thread, New Flyer has just sold 40 electric buses in Quebec to Montreal and Laval. They have basically cornered the market in North America. According to the FP:

"The order for 30 buses from Montreal’s transit authority and 10 from Laval’s transit agency is supported by funding from the provincial and federal governments."

So those cities are utilizing federal and provincial funds to purchase electric buses, yet it it isn't happening in the city where the buses are manufactured, which would be a win-win.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 2:29 PM

I saw in the Freep that Bayer is moving Monsanto's Canadian head office to Calgary.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:
I saw in the Freep that Bayer is moving Monsanto's Canadian head office to Calgary.
That's a bit inaccurate. Bayer bought Monsato in June and is closing the Winnipeg legacy office and keeping the Bayer head office in Calgary. Not so much moving. Either way same result, loss of jobs in Winnipeg.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan