HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:47 PM

I thought the Saskatoon airport addition was essentially suppose to double the current space. From that overhead shot, the footprint of the new construction looks to be about 1/3 to 1/2 of the existing building. Was I mistaken or is there additional construction that is yet to take place?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 6:52 PM

Here's some info for you taken from airport website:

Expansion Facts:

Construction will begin early in 2012 with completion in summer of 2014. No construction disruption will be experienced until after the coming winter charter program.
The new Terminal will feature a pier design and offer eight bridgeable gates along with three ground-load positions.
The expansion will include opportunity for a variety of food, beverage and retail services as well as a Business Lounge. The expanded services will primarily be post-security.
Existing terminal is 139,000 square feet - new building area will be 266,670 square feet.
Increased seating capacity is a primary focus and will incorporate comfortable seating areas, business stations, a fireplace and children’s play areas.
The expansion will be funded through the current Airport revenues including the AIF fund.

The expansion focuses primarily on the post security area adding just under 130,000 square feet on two floors. “It’s a big project”, comments President & CEO Bill Restall. “…bigger than our last expansion in 2001. In essence, we are doubling the size of the building,…post security is where we have focused our efforts in order to deliver a positive customer experience.”

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Here's some info for you taken from airport website:

Expansion Facts:

Construction will begin early in 2012 with completion in summer of 2014. No construction disruption will be experienced until after the coming winter charter program.
The new Terminal will feature a pier design and offer eight bridgeable gates along with three ground-load positions.
The expansion will include opportunity for a variety of food, beverage and retail services as well as a Business Lounge. The expanded services will primarily be post-security.
Existing terminal is 139,000 square feet - new building area will be 266,670 square feet.
Increased seating capacity is a primary focus and will incorporate comfortable seating areas, business stations, a fireplace and children’s play areas.
The expansion will be funded through the current Airport revenues including the AIF fund.

The expansion focuses primarily on the post security area adding just under 130,000 square feet on two floors. “It’s a big project”, comments President & CEO Bill Restall. “…bigger than our last expansion in 2001. In essence, we are doubling the size of the building,…post security is where we have focused our efforts in order to deliver a positive customer experience.”
It looks deceptive because the addition is two stories and most of the existing building is one story.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 12:09 AM

Look at the renderings again. That pier is just part of the addition. The rest runs the entire length of the airport. They're just doing it in phases I'd imagine.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 4:08 AM

Looks like the airport has a new website www.yxe.ca. The link to the web cam pointed at the construction site appears to have disappeared.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
Look at the renderings again. That pier is just part of the addition. The rest runs the entire length of the airport. They're just doing it in phases I'd imagine.
Thanks....that does clarify the footprint and size. I had not noticed that the addition ran along the entire length of airport! Looking forward to this being completed. I certainly hope there is improved restaurant service...an actual sitdown restaurant chain would be a nice addition.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 4:53 AM
ConstructionPete

September Passenger Traffic Shows 7% increase YTD at YXE

September passenger activity at the Saskatoon International Airport was up 6.5% from last September, resulting in 12 consecutive months of more than 100,000 passengers. After only 9 months, passenger traffic is only a few short of the 1 million mark for the year to date.
Growth is due to strong increases in domestic traffic (up 6%) and transborder traffic (up 8%). The sun destination season is also expected to be strong.

Passenger Statistics and Growth Rates

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 10:21 AM

Dam could hit 1.4 million this year.....

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Thanks....that does clarify the footprint and size. I had not noticed that the addition ran along the entire length of airport! Looking forward to this being completed. I certainly hope there is improved restaurant service...an actual sitdown restaurant chain would be a nice addition.
Some interesting information here, http://yxe.ca/Portals/0/YXE%20FB%20RFP%20121217.pdf including that yes, there will be a full serve restaurant/bar post security, with almost 2000 square feet given over to it. Also interesting is an estimated opening date of Oct 1, 2013.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 5:04 AM

Anyone have any pictures and updates on the Regina International Airport expansion?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Anyone have any pictures and updates on the Regina International Airport expansion?
The interior renos are - basically - completed; Just a few cosmetic touches remain. (I have photos; however, I'm not clear as to how to post them on here.)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
The interior renos are - basically - completed; Just a few cosmetic touches remain. (I have photos; however, I'm not clear as to how to post them on here.)
That render up above is beautiful! Is any actual expansion at YQR planned? YXE is being basically doubled in size, and YQR gets renos. Unfortunately, that sounds about par for the course.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 6:11 PM

[img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/803/dscn0445q.jpg]
[img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/846/dscn0443q.jpg]

Herer are a couple of shots of the ticket counter renos at YQR. I hope these upload alright.

Last edited by SkydivePilot; Jan 6, 2013 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrlvr View Post
That render up above is beautiful! Is any actual expansion at YQR planned? YXE is being basically doubled in size, and YQR gets renos. Unfortunately, that sounds about par for the course.
Any tips on uploading photos? (What a pain in the ass!)

With regards to Regina's airport terminal, the interior space at Regina's ATB is now being utilized to its absolute full potential. During November of '11, I had a conversation of the person of the highest authority. He/she stated to me that the Regina ATB will be expanded in about 5 years. (Hence that conversation.)

Our ATBs have leap-frogged each-other throughout their respective histories with respect to expansion/development.

1939: Regina had it's first ice cream shop-looking "formal" airport terminal building. During 1955, Saskatoon had its first "formal" ATB. (At that time, larger than Regina's.)

1960: Saw the completion of a brand new ATB at YQR which was then larger than YXE's.

1975: Saw an expansion of YXE which was to be larger than YQR 'til 1986 where Regina was to then have the larger ATB.

2000: YXE had a brand new control tower.

2002-03: The expanded YXE terminal became larger than YQR.

2003-05: YQR was to equal YXE with regards to floor space.

Soon: YXE's ATB will once again be larger than YQR for the next few years.

2017(?): One of two expansion proposals [insofar] for YQR to be decided upon. Believe me, either one will be impressive!!! I'm not at liberty to say more than I already have here.

Last edited by SkydivePilot; Jan 6, 2013 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 11:28 PM

[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img405/4014/dscn0263tx.jpg]

Here is a two-year-old photo of my diorama depicting Regina Airport during the 1950s. Enjoy!

Last edited by SkydivePilot; Jan 5, 2013 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 11:32 PM

[img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/5/dscn0089x.jpg]
[img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/687/dscn0140z.jpg]
[img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/441/dscn0213x.jpg]

Here are 3 somewhat dated photos of of my diorama depicting Regina's airport during the '70s - early '80s. Enjoy!

Last edited by SkydivePilot; Jan 5, 2013 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 11:52 PM

[img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/10/dscn0326t.jpg]
[img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/829/dscn0275f.jpg]
[img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/580/dscn0273ry.jpg]
[img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/233/dscn0271a.jpg]

Here are a few pics [taken during 2010-11] of my largest diorama depicting the present-day Regina International Airport.

It was not as-of-yet completed in these pics.

Enjoy!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 12:02 AM

All of these displays are still [since February] on display inside the Regina ATB at the south end of the main floor. The present-day diorama is a LIT display via LEDs! During the renovations of this year though, some of the lights were compromised due to vibrations when crews used jackhammer-type scrapers in order to remove the old tiles off the floor.

None of these dioramas were completed when these shots were taken; however, they were at least fit for display purposes at various locales around the city.

I reckon that they'll be on display in the Regina ATB --- 'til at least the end of spring.

Happy viewing!

Last edited by SkydivePilot; Jan 6, 2013 at 12:23 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 3:36 PM

Very impressive SkyDivePilot!

Will be interesting to hear some more details about YQR long term expansion. Would they ever consider a longer runway or possibly another runway?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 5:22 PM

`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jun 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan