HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
And your point? Should we be focussing on and comparing the citizenship of players from all teams in the NHL? I don't understand why a couple of posters are making this a thing?
JHikka constantly defends fringe US NHL franchises.....I think he may be a closet American (!!) after this last post.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 4:11 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
This still doesn't negate the fact that all of the Jets best players, save for Scheifele, are not Canadian: Laine, Ehlers, Hellebuyck, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Connor, Trouba....Canadian birthplace Paul Statsny grew up and played all of his minor and junior hockey in the US.
The Jets became the first truly international North American club team in 1974, back when the NHL’s idea of a great team was the all-Canadian “Broad Street Bullies” and their endless bench-clearing brawls. Being international and multicultural is nothing new for Winnipeg, of all places!

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 8:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
JHikka constantly defends fringe US NHL franchises.....I think he may be a closet American (!!) after this last post.
I think he's Gary Bettman!

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 10:02 PM

Hey....the conference finals are on tonight.

Go Jets....you can do it.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
And your point? Should we be focussing on and comparing the citizenship of players from all teams in the NHL? I don't understand why a couple of posters are making this a thing?
His point is that because the Jets don't have as much Canadian players there is no point for Canadians outside Winnipeg to cheer for them. He doesn't like the term "Canada's team".

I personally would love to see a Canadian team (the Jets are based in Winnipeg which is in Canada) bring the Stanley Cup back to a Canadian city since it has been so long. Though personally I would would rather the Leafs be the team that does it.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 12:42 AM

The cup comes to many Canadian cities every year.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
The cup comes to many Canadian cities every year.
Fine. I'd like to see a Canadian based team win the cup. Winnipeg is a Canadian based team

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 1:39 AM

I understand your argument. But because I have my own team I can't cheer for someone else's.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 5:40 AM
BANNED

Wooooooooooo Game 1 in the Bag for the Jets. We were by far the better team today.

I expect more from Vegas in the upcoming game than what they displayed on the ice tonight, and will make this series a tough one for us. But I still think we take the WCF.

GO JETS GO!!

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 12:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
It's not so much that he's defending fringe US teams. JHikka understands the business of the NHL.

#1 - it is a business
#2 - overall, there is more growth potential in the US than in Canada (both in terms of number of teams and in terms of revenue)
#3 - An NHL of more than 36 teams is unlikely. It dilutes the talent pool and there would be too many mouths (corporate owners) to feed from advertising and broadcast rights.
#4 - Given this, and given the fact that there is more growth potential in the US, of the "potential" five additional franchises the NHL might be able to support, four would likely be in the US.
#5 - Of the potential additional Canadian franchise, it would either be a second CTA team or a team in Quebec City. Again, there is probably more upside (in terms of business revenue) of having a second GTA team.
#6 - Hockey may be Canada's game, but the NHL is a large business empire run out of NYC, and the owners are more interested in profit and expanding the visibility of the game (to increase profit) than they are in any Canadian nationalism. This is not an anti-Canadian sentiment; it's just business. The Canadian market is mostly tapped out. Sorry Canada, but them's the breaks........
#7 - THE NHL IS A BUSINESS (repeated for emphasis). The owners are primarily interested in two things. Increasing revenue streams especially via lucrative US broadcasting deals and increasing the valuation of each of their individual franchises. Winning the Stanley Cup would be terrific, but nobody wants to go bankrupt doing it.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It's not so much that he's defending fringe US teams. JHikka understands the business of the NHL.

#1 - it is a business
#2 - overall, there is more growth potential in the US than in Canada (both in terms of number of teams and in terms of revenue)
#3 - An NHL of more than 36 teams is unlikely. It dilutes the talent pool and there would be too many mouths (corporate owners) to feed from advertising and broadcast rights.
#4 - Given this, and given the fact that there is more growth potential in the US, of the "potential" five additional franchises the NHL might be able to support, four would likely be in the US.
#5 - Of the potential additional Canadian franchise, it would either be a second CTA team or a team in Quebec City. Again, there is probably more upside (in terms of business revenue) of having a second GTA team.
#6 - Hockey may be Canada's game, but the NHL is a large business empire run out of NYC, and the owners are more interested in profit and expanding the visibility of the game (to increase profit) than they are in any Canadian nationalism. This is not an anti-Canadian sentiment; it's just business. The Canadian market is mostly tapped out. Sorry Canada, but them's the breaks........
#7 - THE NHL IS A BUSINESS (repeated for emphasis). The owners are primarily interested in two things. Increasing revenue streams especially via lucrative US broadcasting deals and increasing the valuation of each of their individual franchises. Winning the Stanley Cup would be terrific, but nobody wants to go bankrupt doing it.
You’re right, but as a business Arizona needs to be able to survive on their own (ie at least break even) and it’s doubtful that will ever be the case. If that team were relocated to QC it would turn a profit or at least remain solvent. The common refrain is that Canada is tapped out, but at the same time US based franchises are struggling financially. In reality there is little room for growth either in the US or Canada. Add Seattle and relocate AZ to QC and call it a day.
The NHL doesn’t need to have more than 32 teams.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 1:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The only way QC gets a franchise is through a relocation. It is possible. It just depends on whether the Board of Governors are willing to give up on a US city and region (and the potential revenue stream from that region).

When the Thrashers relocated from Atlanta to Winnipeg (as the Jets), the NHL basically abandoned a large swath of the southeastern US. In part this was realism. Of all the regions of the US, this region is likely the one most opaque to hockey. The southeast is football country. All other sports are communist.

I think the NHL wants to keep a team in Phoenix (and likely establish a new one in Houston) because this is a fast growing (and wealthy) area of the country, and they want to maintain a critical mass of teams in the area to ignite rivalries.

Bettman isn't going to give up on Phoenix until the bitter end. Phoenix may in fact become the petard upon which Bettman finally gets hoisted......

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 4:21 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

The only way QC gets a franchise is through a relocation. It is possible. It just depends on whether the Board of Governors are willing to give up on a US city and region (and the potential revenue stream from that region).

When the Thrashers relocated from Atlanta to Winnipeg (as the Jets), the NHL basically abandoned a large swath of the southeastern US. In part this was realism. Of all the regions of the US, this region is likely the one most opaque to hockey. The southeast is football country. All other sports are communist.

I think the NHL wants to keep a team in Phoenix (and likely establish a new one in Houston) because this is a fast growing (and wealthy) area of the country, and they want to maintain a critical mass of teams in the area to ignite rivalries.

Bettman isn't going to give up on Phoenix until the bitter end. Phoenix may in fact become the petard upon which Bettman finally gets hoisted......
It wants the major TV markets covered. I can’t see the US owners voting for yet another obscure Canadian city that has little upside revenue-wise and which can only inhibit the attainment of the goal of being a marketable major league sports property south of the border, similar to the NBA. But maybe the Nords can fluke their way back in, the way Winnipeg did (twice, really).

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 7:25 PM

The Jets seemed to have their way with Vegas last night. But like many have said, I do not believe they played their best. Yes they are a skilled puck possession team, but they need to put the puck on the net more than they attempted last night. And how did Wheels miss tucking that one away!

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:
You’re right, but as a business Arizona needs to be able to survive on their own (ie at least break even) and it’s doubtful that will ever be the case. If that team were relocated to QC it would turn a profit or at least remain solvent. The common refrain is that Canada is tapped out, but at the same time US based franchises are struggling financially. In reality there is little room for growth either in the US or Canada. Add Seattle and relocate AZ to QC and call it a day.
The NHL doesn’t need to have more than 32 teams.
Even if some of these U.S. based teams aren’t doing so well, they do increase hockey enrollment in that city and state. As a business you want to have the best product possible for your customers, and having teams in non traditional markets increases the talent pool the league has to draw from. Auston Mathews being an obvious example ( grew up in Arizona).

If current trends continue, the U.S. will pass Canada in about 10 years as the country producing the most NHL players. That means the quality of play and skill on the ice will have increased. The game will have improved even more and you have a chance to draw in more fans.

Another thing, Americans like to see American athletes being superstars and heroes. With a league that is mostly Americans, you’re going to capture more American fans.

For those reasons I think it’s important to keep expanding into places like Texas, Nevada, and Seattle.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/.../USHockey.aspx

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.busi...s-2028-2017-11

Last edited by logan5; May 13, 2018 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 9:07 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
My point is they're not Canada's team - they're Winnipeg's team.

Quote:
You're free to offer constructive criticism to counter mine if you like rather than trying to take personal stabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think he's Gary Bettman!
I'm not but that would be something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It wants the major TV markets covered. I can’t see the US owners voting for yet another obscure Canadian city that has little upside revenue-wise and which can only inhibit the attainment of the goal of being a marketable major league sports property south of the border, similar to the NBA.
Ding ding ding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
If current trends continue, the U.S. will pass Canada in about 10 years as the country producing the most NHL players. That means the quality of play and skill on the ice will have increased. The game will have improved even more and you have a chance to draw in more fans.
I've been posting numbers related to this train of thought in another thread:

Proportion of NHL players by Canadian nationality, at least one game played, by season:
1997-1998: 61%
2002-2003: 55%
2007-2008: 51%
2012-2013: 53%
2017-2018: 46%

The decline in Canadian players is essentially being eaten up by American players.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
My point is they're not Canada's team - they're Winnipeg's team.
I never said that they were Canada's team. Why throw that back on me? However, they are the only Canadian based team left in the playoffs. If anyone thinks that it would be a good thing to have the Stanley Cup won by a Canadian based team (first time since 1993) then they only have one team to cheer for in these playoffs. By the way, I think that is a good thing that the best hockey players in the world aspire to play in the NHL. It makes the league better overall. Not to many Canadian players on the Blue Jays either yet many Canadians seem quite fond of them.

I also support NHL teams in the Southern US as that is a vehicle to grow the game. I have my doubts that Austin Matthews would have ever become a dominant NHLer if the team in Arizona did not exist.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:

You're free to offer constructive criticism to counter mine if you like rather than trying to take personal stabs. :shrug
I was unaware that calling someone an American was “taking a personal stab”.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post

Another thing, Americans like to see American athletes being superstars and heroes. With a league that is mostly Americans, you’re going to capture more American fans.
Actually, I don’t think most Americans care where athletes are from. Case in point is MLB and NBA. This is actually more of a Canadian thing.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 11:08 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I was unaware that calling someone an American was “taking a personal stab”.

Keep things on topic. This thread is about the NHL - not my nationality.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada