HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 1:40 AM

Very interesting post Flyingwedge. Thanks for your research.

A bit more about Kathy Marlowe.

detail / originally posted by MichaelRyerson

She was born Kathy Maslowski in 1934. Throughout the 1950s Marlowe modeled for many local promotional campaigns. At one time or another she was.....

“Miss Be Our Guest at the Movies”

“Miss Chinchilla”

“Miss Get the Dent Out of Your Fenders”

“Miss Lawnseed”

“Queen of Western Linens”

“Miss Nightmare”

“Miss Traveling Saleslady”

“Miss Green Stamps”

“Miss Golf Brand”

“Miss Hollywood Stars”

“Miss Date of the Month”

“Meet Me at the Fair Queen”

“Miss Hot Tomato”

“Miss Long White Potato”

and appropriately, "Miss Everything."

In 1957 she appeared as an uncredited model in The Garment Jungle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kathy-Marlow...8AAOSwj85YNjwS

The eBay seller says that's her in the middle. (I agree)

In this scene from 'The Garment Jungle', I believe that's Kathy Marlowe (or it might be Joanne Barnes, another uncredited model) on the right.

https://sharethefiles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76452

For some reason the view outside the window made me think of Los Angeles, so I checked IMDB.

Although 'The Garment Jungle' takes place in New York City some scenes were, in fact, filmed in the garment district of Los Angeles.

IMDB

Does anyone remember this film? (To be honest I've never seen it)

---------------------------------------

In 1958 Marlowe FINALLY starred in a film. It was an “Adults Only” exploitation film noir called Girl with an Itch'.

https://bizarrela.com/2016/09/kathy-marlowe/

I wasn't sure this photo was from 'Girl with an Itch', until I noticed she's wearing the same dress on the poster.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Girl-With-an-...QAAOSwvihY~eqm

Ad for the uncensored "Adults Only" version.

scene from 'Girl with an Itch'

I'd itch too, look at all that straw.

Link to an article (2014) on Kathy's life in Newport Beach. (she's been married for 52 years!)
http://www.newportbeachmagazine.com/...ts-grand-dame/

List of "Miss" titles from...
https://bizarrela.com/2016/09/kathy-marlowe/

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 28, 2017 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 6:22 AM

Mystery Drive-In

Here is another from the LA Daily News archive at UCLA. The caption says: "Two drive-in restaurant waitresses leaving work, Los Angeles, 1937"

OK, but what drive-in?

I think this is looking east across Western Ave. at Olympic. The city directories aren't very helpful, but there is the following 1956 building permit:

www.ladbs.org

BRR posted a list of McDonnell's Drive-Ins back in 2013, but 1001 S. Western wasn't on it. MartinTurnbull earlier this year posted the following:

...which shows the manager and a car hop for the McDonnell's at Wilshire and Robertson. The women's hats in both pictures look a little different, but they are both worn at a jaunty, borderline precarious angle. I wonder if that was the style for McDonnell's.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

The Hollywood Knickerbocker Hotel broke ground yesterday (Wed.) for its new Sun and Cabana Club to be constructed adjoining the hotel. [June 8, 1955]

For some reason photographs of the pool area ('Sun & Cabana Club') are few and far between.

Here's the first one I found...it's a bit blurry.

postmarked 1961 / www.cardcow.com

I'm pretty sure that's Ivar Avenue on the far side of that wall on the left.

below: The pool area is gone, but I believe it used to be where this one story building with an inflatable roof is today.

gsv

hmm...there isn't a pool inside that building, is there....?
Here are the aerial views from 1964 and 1972. I believe that the 1964 view shows the pool. The area appears to be covered by a roof by 1972, but I have no idea if the pool is underneath. The 1954 view just shows a parking lot, which is consistent with groundbreaking in 1955.

Historic Aerials

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The Hollywood Knickerbocker Hotel broke ground yesterday (Wed.) for its new Sun and Cabana Club to be constructed adjoining the hotel. [June 8, 1955]

For some reason photographs of the pool area ('Sun & Cabana Club') are few and far between.

Knickerbocker's new facilities opening, 1956

"Southern California dignitaries and beauties helped open the Knickerbocker's new facilities Thursday afternoon, including the new outdoor swimming pool. Left to right are: Lorne Pratt, executive secretary of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce; Lois Cole, Allyn Parsons wearing Cole of California swim suits (with head dresses!); and L. Ray Dieterich, General Manager of the Knickerbocker Hotel". Frankly, I prefer my mid-50s 'starlets' with a bit more meat on the bone. But that's just me. Do my eyes deceive me but is that the back of a bill board looming over the new 'Sun and Cabana Club' pool area? For that matter, looking at these four I'm struck with how perfectly they all capture the un-ironic dorkdom of 50s advertising photo ops. Where's Jack Carson when you need him? All in all a great shot.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 12:37 PM

Dino's

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Was this the image you wanted? Send me a PM if you'd like help posting images.

Pinterest
Yes, that's the image.
Would love for you to instruct me how to post these things. I've read the instructions but still can't seem to pull it off.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustifer View Post
Yes, that's the image.
Would love for you to instruct me how to post these things. I've read the instructions but still can't seem to pull it off.

Really wanted to find the actual awning from the show. Looked all over EBay, Warner Bros. Website, etc. No such luck. I don't know what I'd do with it if I found it, but I waaaaant it....

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Here are the aerial views from 1964 and 1972. I believe that the 1964 view shows the pool. The area appears to be covered by a roof by 1972, but I have no idea if the pool is underneath. The 1954 view just shows a parking lot, which is consistent with groundbreaking in 1955.

Historic Aerials
Thanks for the vintage aerials Hoss! I'm relieved I had the correct spot for the pool area.

I almost changed my initial post to place the pool further back on the parking lot (closer to the old Palace Theater)

The reason I thought this...is because of the wall on the right side of MR's photograph. (shown below, right of red arrow)

Isn't this the back corner of the Palace Theater?

originally posted by MichaelRyerson

If it is the Palace Theater they're breaking ground in the wrong spot, right?

They should be 60 or 70 feet due west...closer to Ivar.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 28, 2017 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 8:25 PM

Here's a trailer for GIRL WITH AN ITCH starring Kathy Marlowe. The older man is played by Robert Armstrong aka Carl Denham from KING KONG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD5suRxD-a4

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 8:30 PM

Well since we're going to go this direction here's

Bonnie Logan picking her way through traffic at Sunset and Vine...

Bonnie Logan crossing Sunset at Vine Street, ca.1961

Bonnie Logan southbound crossing Sunset Boulevard at Vine Street in about 1961

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 8:41 PM

Here's Bonnie two years earlier in 1959.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...19530ba98c.jpg

Is that Julius Shulman lying on the sidewalk?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 28, 2017 at 11:08 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 9:18 PM

I've got a small office photoset from Julius Shulman to finish the week (and he wasn't lying on the sidewalk to take these ). It's "Job 1346: Holmes & Narver, Holmes & Narver Office Building, 1952".

I think this is a reverse view looking back towards the door.

Both from Getty Research Institute

The 1956 CD lists Holmes & Narver Inc, Engineers at 828 S Figueroa Street (as well as the 5th floor of 751 S Figueroa Street). The building is long gone, but I've drawn a blank trying to work out which building it was.

Here's a glimpse of one of their designs:
Mike Ortega and Bob Ward had been washing windows on the 21st floor of One Park Plaza, an building located at 3250 Wilshire Boulevard, when a steel side cable on their scaffold slipped, causing it to drop to a 45-degree angle. Luckily both men were attached by a safety line to the roof of the building and only fell a short distance. City firemen rescued the men by knocking out a tempered glass window, pulling them to safety. Though visibly shaken, neither man was hurt. Photograph dated May 31, 1984. One Park Plaza was designed by Holmes & Narver and completed in 1972.

LAPL

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 10:42 PM

Diamond Bob and the Palms at the Plaza Hotel, Hollywood

Quote:
For comparison, here is the pool area of the nearby Hollywood Plaza Hotel during the same time period.

ebay

Pool or no pool, it's great all those trees are still there. -especially for the elderly tenants.
----
update:

here's the link to t2's post from 2012: (it covers much more than the Hollywood Plaza palms)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=11094
I updated that post e_r. Diamond Bob's palms look great:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
As of February 2017, the palms are still there and now 116 years old (here seen from Ivar):

gsv
(These aren't Diamond Bob's only famous palms)

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 29, 2017 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 11:25 PM

MR, I couldn't help notice the 'diamond'-like designs on the wall behind the diving board.

detail/ full photo here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=41485

It turns out, the same abstract-'diamond' design was also on the outside of the pool wall facing Ivar.

detail

Here's the complete postcard. [early 1960s]

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...0961d1fb4d.jpg

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 28, 2017 at 11:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 1:31 AM

Okay, one more Knickerbocker post and I'll call it an evening.

Ten years after Houdini's death, a seance was held on the roof of the Knickerbocker Hotel by his wife Bess. [1936]

Here's a spooky pic of the event (I don't see Bess )

UPI photo http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2014...ni-seance.html

"The location shifted from the proposed mountaintop to the roof of the Hollywood Knickerbocker Hotel on Ivar Street.
There was also talk of a national radio hookup to broadcast the seance live, but it's unclear if this happened."

The preparations

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2014...ni-seance.html

The invite.

"Golden invitations were sent to some 300 guests and reporters."

On October 31, 1936....

"Bess checked into a suite at the Knickerbocker. The night was uncommonly cold -- "most of the invited guests were as numb as though they'd been dead
as long as Houdini" -- and some of the attendees "had the foresight to prepare for the occasion by stopping in at the Knickerbocker cocktail bar."

"The rooftop had been carpeted for the event and bleachers set-up for the public and reporters. The seance table was set near the edge of the roof with the HOLLYWOODLAND sign visible behind Bess and her manager, Ed Saint, who sat side by side in two large chairs. On the table before them were the famous Mirror Handcuffs interlocked with another pair of cuffs, a bell, and a spirit trumpet. Between them sat "The Houdini Shrine" with a light bulb that burned red above a portrait
of the great magician. All lights on the roof were then extinguished except the ruby light over the shrine.

waiting.......waiting.........w a i t i n g...............

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2014...ni-seance.html

alas, Houdini didn't show up. (he was dead)

----

"It was then that it began to rain. The rain lasted just long enough to drench those left on the rooftop."

No doubt they all bee-lined it back to the bar! lol

the Knickerbocker bar around the time of the seance

just picture it full of wet people.

The Houdini seance was mentioned once before on NLA (no seance pics), back on page 13 in 2009.
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...&postcount=253

Excerpts from 'Wild About Harry" http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2014...ni-seance.html

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 29, 2017 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 1:44 AM

Quote:

Here's the first one I found...it's a bit blurry.

postmarked 1961 / www.cardcow.com

I'm pretty sure that's Ivar Avenue on the far side of that wall on the left.

below: The pool area is gone, but I believe it used to be where this one story building with an inflatable roof is today.

gsv

hmm...there isn't a pool inside that building, is there....?

google_earth / NORTH is at top

And here's the second image of the Knickerbocker pool area.

I believe we're looking north and slightly east, right?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/487936940854794606/ sorry for the blurriness.

--------

For comparison, here is the pool area of the nearby Hollywood Plaza Hotel during the same time period.

ebay

I'm pretty sure the Hollywood Plaza is now a retirement home (like the Knickerbocker) so they probably tookthe pool out...

but it's difficult to tell for all the palm trees.

Pool or no pool, it's great all those trees are still there. -especially for the elderly tenants.
----
update:

here's the link to t2's post from 2012: (it covers much more than the Hollywood Plaza palms)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=11094

__
I remember the three major Hollywood hotel pools well: The Roosevelt, The Knickerbocker and the Plaza. And one more: The Lido. The Roosevelt pool was always the most fun, with the Tropicana poolside bar within reach, The Knickerbocker lacked ambiance and almost seemed like an afterthought to a beautiful hotel. The Plaza pool was very inviting. One could dine at the Westerner restaurant inside the hotel, operated by Carl Ferraro, who featured his famous Blood and Sand cocktail. The Lido pool was also a great feature of the hotel. It was right off the lobby, where Carl Ferraro also operated a hotel dining room. Of course, today, there is a parking lot on the site of the former pool. Carl Ferraro, no longer with us, went on to operate The Dresden Room. Tempus fugit, folks.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 2:41 AM

Don't even get me started on the Westerner. I would have loved to have seen the Cinnabar in that space:

Quote:
The Cinnabar caught, and has held, my attention like few other spaces. A magical place. Maybe that it only existed for nine months has something to do with it.

In 1936 one hundred thousand dollars was spent wisely and intelligently to remodel the former Pig 'n Whistle into the gorgeous art deco Cinnabar Restaurant. It was created by G. Albert Landsburgh, the renowned theater architect and designer of theater interiors. A.E. Heinsbergen Studios did the mural work. The Cinnabar was meant to complement the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel's Cine-Grill (both hotels were then owned by the same firm). In 1937, after what seems like the lifespan of a soap bubble, the beautiful Cinnabar dream-space was gutted for the "It Cafe".

paradiseleased

MartinTurnbull
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
...a timeline of the various incarnations of the restaurant space:

• 1925 to 1928 - Klemtner’s Blue Plate Café
• 1928 – 1931 - Pig ‘N Whistle Café
• 1931 to 1936 – Russian Eagle Café before it moved to the Sunset Strip.
• Dec 17, 1936 to Sept 1937 – Cinnabar
• Sept 1937 – It Café (owned by Clara Bow for about a year, then changed management and was taken over by Phil Selznick - David O. Selznick’s uncle)
• 1944 – Les Comiques
• 1952 - Westerner Lounge-Grill
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
I am referring to the pool at the Lido on Wilcox. It is now a parking lot.
I did not know the Lido ever was a hotel

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 29, 2017 at 4:54 AM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 2:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I remember the three major Hollywood hotel pools well: The Roosevelt, The Knickerbocker and the Plaza. And one more: The Lido. The Roosevelt pool was always the most fun, with the Tropicana poolside bar within reach, The Knickerbocker lacked ambiance and almost seemed like an afterthought to a beautiful hotel. The Plaza pool was very inviting. One could dine at the Westerner restaurant inside the hotel, operated by Carl Ferraro, who featured his famous Blood and Sand cocktail. The Lido pool was also a great feature of the hotel. It was right off the lobby, where Carl Ferraro also operated a hotel dining room. Of course, today, there is a parking lot on the site of the former pool. Carl Ferraro, no longer with us, went on to operate The Dresden Room. Tempus fugit, folks.
At the Roosevelt bar Lido you could always get their famous "Skip & Go Naked" drink. Here's the recipe....make it any way you like,,,,even as a non-alcohol punch.
A similar drink is often called a "Shandy".

Ingredients....
2 cans frozen lemonade concentrate (pink or raspberry is best!)
1 (750 ml) bottle of vodka
5-6 light beers [or near-beer], depending on taste
Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher or drink dispenser and stir. Serve over ice. Enjoy!

Oh BTW, I don't drink...[used to though]. What with my drinking-bar posts I'not advocating drinking....most all drinks can be made Roy Rogers style.

eisforeat

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Ten years after Houdini's death, a seance was held on the roof of the Knickerbocker Hotel by his wife Bess. [1936]

Here's a spooky pic of the event (I don't see Bess )

UPI photo http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2014...ni-seance.html

"The location shifted from the proposed mountaintop to the roof of the Hollywood Knickerbocker Hotel on Ivar Street.
There was also talk of a national radio hookup to broadcast the seance live, but it's unclear if this happened."

And just a few miles away on the Paramount Lot, and roughly a decade and a half later, another attempt to recapture the Houdini magic occurred. George Steven's Houdini was released in 1953.

Even with a net, hanging around still looks dangerous.

Keep the smelling salts handy!

[S]Ton[e]y Curtis
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/b2263c76e7b9d95b_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/5506a3914b647a8f_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/93c5838ee4ee4353_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/bcab176e1ef74afb_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/32693de0aa2a43c0_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/8a28b56f432442b0_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/63f8c33b3a18debd_large

Hi De Ho
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/89415a6959f0ffd5_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/500b1000cd7b2c57_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/632c26c4b3c641e3_large

Last edited by BifRayRock; Apr 29, 2017 at 3:36 AM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 3:35 AM

Quote:

It is not noirish and decidedly not part of the traditional noir era, but the Roosevelt's pool has a little something extra: a David Hockney attention grabber.

http://blog.intheswim.com/wp-content...os-angeles.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...d46929a8f9.jpg

Ann Margrock and Stoney Curtis (According to Honorary Mayor, the late Johnny Grant, If they didn't go swimming at the Roosevelt, they should have.)
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv...clxyo1_400.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrAjx4jNwXo

Here is Hockney with the BMW 850, he decorated. The former May Co. on Wilshire is in the background, suggesting that the location was east of the no longer existent May Co Parking structure.

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/54834e4e699f64cc_large

http://waterandpower.org/7%20Histori...953.jpghttp://
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=31170

Last edited by BifRayRock; Apr 29, 2017 at 3:57 AM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 3:51 AM

Quote:

Nah, check it out, the site of the Hollywood Plaza Hotel pool is not parking lot.
I am referring to the pool at the Lido on Wilcox. It is now a parking lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos