HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 7:41 AM

^Yeah, that Richard Rogers plan was wicked awesome. A mini St. Louis arch with a cable-stayed bridge hanging from it.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 7:45 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Toronto Star/Feb 01, 2007 04:30 AM
Martin Knelman
Entertainment Columnist
Massive Change was the name of Bruce Mau's controversial museum show about new frontiers in the creative world and how design is shaping human destiny. Now Toronto's design guru is planning a massive change of a more personal nature. He's heading for Chicago, the Star has learned, where his firm Bruce Mau Design will open an office before the end of June.

The reason: greater business opportunities, because the high-end corporate clients Mau attracts are far more likely to be based in the United States than Canada, giving him a chance to spread his gospel that design is not just an add-on but a crucial part of creating identity for a building or an institution. It's thanks to Mau's impact that graphics and logos have climbed to the top of the creative chain.

So what can Chicago offer that Toronto does not?

A presence in the U.S. increases the opportunity, says Mau's business partner, Miles Nadal.

Sources say there are other factors that make Chicago attractive. Increasingly since 9/11 high-end clients and partners prefer not to cross the border for a meeting. And Mau was seduced when Chicago, unlike his hometown, embraced Massive Change during its run at Chicago's Museum of Contemporary Art last year.

"The light went on for both of us when we saw how everyone in Chicago, including the mayor, the artists and senior management teams, embraced Bruce," Nadal recalls. "I don't think Bruce has been given as much recognition in Toronto as he deserves."

Mau first made his mark with cutting-edge designs and memorable logos but he wasn't content to stop there. He has also had a huge impact as a lecturer who writes books, and even mounts museum shows to illustrate his points. Not perhaps since communications oracle Marshall McLuhan has a Torontonian loomed so large in the arena of cultural-theory gurus with an international following.

"We want to be in the place where the greatest talent lives," say Nadal, chief executive officer of MDC Partners, who three years ago bought a controlling interest in Bruce Mau Design.

Still, over the past two decades while working and living in Toronto, Mau has managed to attract top creative collaborators, including two of the world's top architects, Frank Gehry and Rem Koolhaas of the Netherlands. And his list of clients has included Indigo Books & Music, Roots Canada, the Art Gallery of Ontario, movie mogul Barry Diller and the New York Jets football team.

"Our philosophy is to help our partners grow," Nadal said yesterday. "Bruce and his firm are already global leaders. But the opportunity is 20-fold greater if you have a presence in the United States. And U.S. budgets tend to be 10 to 20 times greater than those of comparable Canadian firms."

Mau and his wife, Aiyemobisi Williams, have told friends they are shopping for a house in Chicago and looking for schools for their three children. Williams, though not nearly as well known as her husband, is also well known in Toronto arts circles. She recently joined the board of The Walrus magazine.

Increasingly in recent years, Mau has spent much of his time in airports and on the road meeting clients, mostly in the U.S. This week he was in Michigan and New York City, and unavailable for comment.

According to Joanne Balles Crosbie, president of Bruce Mau Design, the idea of moving his family to Chicago is under consideration but has not been finalized. And the firm will keep its Toronto office (on Spadina near King) open even if Mau does not reside here.

"This is an expansion, not an exodus or a mass exodus," Crosbie says. "Bruce's presence will still be felt here."

Maybe, but the way things are going it seems likely that Bruce Mau's Toronto era is coming to a close, and his Chicago surge is about to unfold.

"Bruce is one of Canada's great treasures," says Heather Reisman, president of Indigo. "He's brilliant, caring, optimistic, visionary and passionate. It seems to ever be the case that Canadians must go abroad before being full appreciated. Fortunately in this case I believe he is moving but not leaving."

Matthew Teitelbaum, president of the Art Gallery of Ontario, is of two minds. "I'm never thrilled when an important cultural leader goes south of the border, because people like Bruce help create the public conversation in Toronto. But the reality is that it is a fluid world with people moving in both directions across the border. And Bruce is responding to a clear opportunity to have a larger presence beyond this city."

It remains to be seen how massive a loss that will represent for Toronto.

Mau's impact widespread
Here is a selection of designs from Bruce Mau Design’s portfolio since the firm was established in 1985:

* Art Gallery of Ontario logo.

* The New York Jets football team hired Mau to design the graphics and communications program for a flashy New York Sports and Convention Centre and stadium, working with blue-chip architects Kohn Pedersen Fox.

* Updated signage for the home-grown clothing and leather goods retailer Roots Canada; redesigned its flagship store on Bloor St.

* S,M,L,XL, a sweeping architectural monograph — 1,376 pages with 2,000- plus illustrations — on the studio of Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas and the impact of architecture on contemporary society, sharing authorship with Koolhaas.

* Created the logo, signage and in-store graphics for the Indigo Books & Music chain.

* Seattle Public Library with Rem Koolhaas.

* Signage for the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles and the Museum of Modern Art (MoMa) in New York.

SOURCE: BRUCE MAU DESIGN/STAR LIBRARY

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 9:28 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^ Wow! This is fairly big news - I had heard rumors that he was going to be moving but now to have confirmation - this is pretty exciting!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 6:15 AM
Registered

^ Yeah, just great! Welcome, Bruce!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ If I recall, the city claims the existing bridge's slope does not meet ADA standards (this should be checked independently). In any case, it's not a cause for tearing anything down. Do you throw out your heirloom china because it doesn't fit in new the china cabinets?

In this scenario, they should build a new underpass for ADA standards, and rehab the existing bridge. They also could build anew, as you suggest.

Come to think of it, this was the Richard Rogers plan more or less. How foolish of them not to select this great architect.
There is plenty of traffic in that area to support both bridge and tunnel.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 9:06 PM

Did anyone go to the Friends of Downtown luncheon yesterday where they discussed the central area action plan? If so, was anything interesting discussed? I missed it because I was at the Chicago Loop Alliance annual meeting/luncheon.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Did anyone go to the Friends of Downtown luncheon yesterday where they discussed the central area action plan? If so, was anything interesting discussed? I missed it because I was at the Chicago Loop Alliance annual meeting/luncheon.
Victor, Shawn and myself were all there. I know Victor was taking notes, but I haven't noticed him posting since early yesterday....

There was alot interesting discussed, including long range mass transit options/plans, projected numbers of residential/commercial buildings, along with the sites that are expected to build on.

If you have something specific, ask away and I'll do what I can, I don't take notes, so it will be whatever I can pull off the top of my head.

Hopefully one of the other two will post.

SSDD

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 10:33 PM

Thanks headcase. Out of the things you mentioned, I would be interested in hearing about the sites that are being planned and what is being planned for them, and the projected demographics and/or overall development picture...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 4:53 AM
The City

Did they talk about building heights and density?

Also, what were some of these long range transit plans?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 8:42 AM

Trib article that shows some promising signs of emergent pro-TOD candidates in the aldermanic elections:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed
Rivals seeking notch in the Bungalow Belt
2 incumbents defending development in their wards

By Dan Mihalopoulos
Tribune staff reporter
Published February 2, 2007

The bungalow-lined streets of the Northwest and Southwest Sides are among the city's most popular for families, but two veteran aldermen in those areas face tough campaigns from challengers who say development is coming too slow to the tranquil neighborhoods.

City Council incumbents Virginia Rugai (19th) and Patrick Levar (45th) are strong allies of Mayor Richard Daley and are supported by two of the few Democratic ward organizations that remain vibrant. Yet both are opposed by candidates from within their own political organizations.

Terry Boyke, a former top aide to Levar, blames the alderman for vacant lots near Milwaukee and Lawrence Avenues, once a popular shopping destination.

Boyke was a lifelong precinct worker with the 45th Ward Democrats and was on Levar's staff for eight years before quitting last summer. Levar speaks of Boyke's defection as a personal betrayal.

"I treated Terry like he was a member of the family," Levar said. "He told me he was leaving to become a developer and a builder. We had a party for him and gave him Cubs stuff."

Boyke soon began running to unseat his old boss. He said Levar told him that he plans to bequeath his job to his eldest son, which the alderman denies.

Boyke said Levar doesn't work hard enough, citing as one example that the alderman has only attended a handful of more than 40 Police and Fire Committee meetings at City Hall in the last four years.

"Is that the kind of dedication that you want in your local public official?" Boyke asked.

The incumbent counters that he is "just a neighborhood guy" who focuses most intently on local issues and would rather be in his ward than at City Hall. His proudest accomplishments include new streetlights near the ward's Catholic churches and a Jewel grocery store at the faded Six Corners shopping area, where Milwaukee, Cicero Avenue and Irving Park Road cross.

Levar said he is in discussions with Starbucks for the chain's first outlet in the ward, on Cicero.

He defended his 2005 decision to oppose a condominium and commercial project near the Jefferson Park CTA terminal, saying he always defers to residents within 250 to 300 feet of a proposed development.

"This is the Bungalow Belt," said Levar, who wore a Bears cap and sweatshirt to an interview at a diner on Milwaukee this week. "This is a great place to raise a family."

Boyke said the neighborhood should offer more pedestrian-friendly amenities near the CTA train and bus stations, which are used by thousands of commuters each weekday.

"We have to give them a reason to stay," he said. "We are not a destination. We are a place to pass through."

Boyke said he envisions the area near the Jefferson Park CTA terminal becoming more like the nearby Lincoln Square neighborhood, where condos and shops have sprouted near train stops.

Also opposing Levar are real estate agents Anna Klocek and Robert A. Bank.

Across Chicago, in the 19th Ward, Rugai's opponents do not dispute that the Beverly and Mt. Greenwood neighborhoods are popular with families. But they say Rugai has not done enough to encourage development near the ward's eight Metra stations and along Western Avenue and 95th Street.

Rugai points to the first, newly opened Starbucks in Beverly and other projects as signs of progress.

"It takes more time than we all would like, but it's happening," she said.

Challenger John Somerville is a third-generation Democratic precinct captain in the ward, with close ties to Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart. One of Somerville's brothers testified during last year's City Hall corruption trial, alleging he owed his city promotion to doing political work for the Daley machine.
Somerville, an assistant Cook County state's attorney, acknowledged that the ward is "real stable and a great community."

"The tougher challenge is getting to the next level, like the Bulls did after their first [NBA] championship," he said. "You know it can be done because you see it happening in other places in the city."

Somerville's campaign fliers feature photos of boarded-up buildings in the ward. "Is this Ginger Rugai's idea of good development?" the ads read, using the alderman's nickname.

Rugai countered that the photos are of buildings owned by a local property owner who backs Somerville.

Rugai's other re-election foe is Timothy Sheehan, a real estate agent and political neophyte who is relying largely on members of his large family who live in the ward. Sheehan also could benefit from voters who confuse him with former sheriff Michael Sheahan and his politically powerful, Southwest Side clan.

Sheehan said he realized that there was a thirst for change in the ward when he saw Somerville win 41 percent of the vote against Rugai four years ago.

"There is a building boom throughout the city and in nearby suburbs, which are reinventing themselves around train hubs," Sheehan said. "Let the marketplace come in."

The 19th Ward is a bastion of South Side Irish political power, perhaps second in influence only to the Daley family's Bridgeport base.

Rugai was an aide to state Sen. Jeremiah Joyce, a Southwest Side Democrat and top mayoral strategist, before she became alderman in 1991. Her daughter and the mayor's eldest daughter are friends.

The alderman rebuts her rivals by noting the recent construction of a Borders bookstore, a Panera Bread restaurant and a Chipotle Mexican Grill near 95th and Western. The intersection is slated to get a new Starbucks, a Jamba Juice and a Potbelly Sandwich Works shop in the fall.

"This community has changed for the better in the past 16 years and there is more to come," she said. "The housing values have never been higher, and that doesn't happen by luck."

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 9:07 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Great article...Boyke is absolutely right. Outside of downtown the immediate Jefferson Park station area should be one of the most dense in the city given its transit access and interconnectedness. I hope he succeeds.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 4:20 AM
Registered

People are talking about the McDonalds over at State / Chicago now in the Boom Rundown thread. I figured I'd try to move the conversation over here rather than continue it there...

I have a burning question about the history of that McDonalds. I hope someone can help me.

Specifically, I remember Natarus around 2000 declaring that the land now occupied by the McDonalds was a terrible eyesore. The whole 1/4 block, from the corner all the way to the edge of Loyola's tower, was going to be a city park. The city did manage to acquire the small, existing McDonalds, the Burger King (competition for McDonalds), a vacant lot, and maybe one other small retail building. The building at the far east was unable to be acquired for some reason.

Then, the next thing I knew, there is a new McDonalds being built on that site. Furthermore, the city "park" is a tiny spot only one or two lots wide. And, icing on the cake, the "park" is fenced and gated, and basically serving as a seating area for the privately-owned McDonalds!

So my question is, what the hell happened? Was this as nasty a deal as it appears to me (kill McDonalds' competition and finance it with city money, then build a pocket park for their semi-exclusive use)? I think the McDonalds is larger and now has a drive-thru when it didn't before. Someone please correct me with the real history!!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 5:00 AM
The City

^ This odd grip-hold McDonald's has on Chicago's city govt just perplexes me.

McDonald's has its HQ in Oak Brook. What the hell?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 5:05 AM

^ What I wouldn't do for a Carl's Jr. in Chicago.

Now, what about the SE corner of Chicago/State? Wasn't there mention in the last couple years of that church doing a larger, or mixed-use, building there?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 6:23 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ This odd grip-hold McDonald's has on Chicago's city govt just perplexes me.

McDonald's has its HQ in Oak Brook. What the hell?
They still give a lot of money to city institutions even though they are based in Oak Brook.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 12:47 AM
Registered

Some great news from the Landmarks front... The following buildings / districts are in various stages of becoming official landmarks:

1. The Metropolitan Community Church at 41st and King Drive!! This is fantastic because some of you will remember the outrageous proposal to tear this building down several years ago, which was countered by strong community activity to save it.

2. Home Bank and Trust Building, 1200 N. Ashland Avenue. Rumor has it that Walgreens coveted this great, Classical / Art Deco limestone bank for its next suburbanized crap development. Praise to the city and the alderman for stepping in to prevent this from happening.

3. The Ukrainian Village Extension (actually, this would be the second one I believe) is moving forward. The rough boundaries are Thomas St. on the north, Rice St. to the south, Leavitt St. to the east, and Western Av. on the west. This might make UK Village the largest protected area in the city.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post

2. Home Bank and Trust Building, 1200 N. Ashland Avenue. Rumor has it that Walgreens coveted this great, Classical / Art Deco limestone bank for its next suburbanized crap development. Praise to the city and the alderman for stepping in to prevent this from happening.

3. The Ukrainian Village Extension (actually, this would be the second one I believe) is moving forward. The rough boundaries are Thomas St. on the north, Rice St. to the south, Leavitt St. to the east, and Western Av. on the west. This might make UK Village the largest protected area in the city.
#2 -- Is that the bank on the NW corner of Division and Ashland? I assume it is, every once in a while I loose my mind. I took the time to look it up, it is. Great building.

3# -- That would put my current residence in the protected area.

SSDD

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 3:44 AM
The City

Referring to the article posted above by Hoju:

That Patrick Levar guy seems like such a shmuck. Hopefully he gets ousted

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Referring to the article posted above by Hoju:

That Patrick Levar guy seems like such a shmuck. Hopefully he gets ousted
He won't. The other 3 will split around 60% and Levar will carry 40%. This plays out over and over in Chicago. I'm starting to think that if an incumbent is challenged by only one candidate, he just gets another candidate to run against him to split the challenger vote.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 6:52 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
He won't. The other 3 will split around 60% and Levar will carry 40%. This plays out over and over in Chicago. I'm starting to think that if an incumbent is challenged by only one candidate, he just gets another candidate to run against him to split the challenger vote.
^ Isn't there a run-off election when that happens?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development