HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 12:19 AM

The spire actually looks fitting in that west view.

Last edited by IluvATX; Dec 3, 2014 at 2:42 AM. Reason: Correction

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 12:35 AM
Meh

That's actually the west side.

Here's the view from the southeast. Notice the spire is on the west side of the tower.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 12:50 AM

Just FYI regarding the billboards, my neighbor is an architect for Gensler and he was saying a few weeks ago that the billboards are outdated and do not represent the final design.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

Here's the view from the southeast. Notice the spire is on the west side of the tower.
I guess the best views will be from the West and maybe the North.

I really don't see the point of the "spire"-- what does it add??

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

I'm aware of where the spire is. I just meant the second photo.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:39 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd1076 View Post
Just FYI regarding the billboards, my neighbor is an architect for Gensler and he was saying a few weeks ago that the billboards are outdated and do not represent the final design.
Yes, we know. We've known for about two months now.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post

For the record, "we" didn't all know.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:59 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxdweller View Post
For the record, "we" didn't all know.
Where have you been for the last two months with all the comments about how awful the latest design is?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 9:48 AM

Quote:

My bad. It appeared to me that there was some confusion on the previous page regarding the billboards.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 5:18 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I know that façades of buildings can be changed anytime. My specific question regarded whether it's common for changes to occur during construction? You would think that they would have everything finalized by the time construction starts.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 5:21 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're looking at. Those latest renderings are identical to the previously released set to my eye.
It looked like the base was a little different but it's probably the angle. I guess it is from the same set of the most recent renderings.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 9:35 PM
Honored Member

What's the prognosis for the big dirt lot directly across Cesar Chavez from the Fairmont? Is it one of the spots that is already slated for a specific project?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
What's the prognosis for the big dirt lot directly across Cesar Chavez from the Fairmont? Is it one of the spots that is already slated for a specific project?
Oh that? That's slated to become an 800 room hotel with convention center space below. It will be a narrow but long tower set at the edge of a block-spanning podium. IHOP will feature prominently in the design. 12 floors of parking. And a spire.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
The last thing I remember reading about the site you're asking about was March of last year.

Two major sites in downtown Austin about to sell
Jan Buchholz
Austin Business Journal
March 29, 2013

Quote:
Two prominent sites of raw land in downtown Austin are under contract, further constricting a tight real estate landscape and confirming what many observers already knew: The Central Business District is one of the most attractive markets in the country.

The southwest and the southeast corners of Cesar Chavez and Red River streets are under contract to two different parties, according to the sellers, Robert Knight and Perry Lorenz.

The two longtime friends and business associates have a third property under contract on the northeast quadrant of the same intersection to the east of the Neal Kocurek Memorial Austin Convention Center. On that site, Manchester Texas Financial Group LLC is planning to execute a long-term land lease and build the 50-story Fairmont Austin hotel. No date is set for that agreement to be signed, but the hotel is scheduled to open in summer 2016.

Though the potential buyers of the other two properties remain confidential, Knight said that one buyer group is local and the second is from California.
The southwest corner is where the three buildings comprising Waller Center will go up. I don't know if the southeast corner (the site I think you're asking about) ever got sold.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
The last thing I remember reading about the site you're asking about was March of last year.

Two major sites in downtown Austin about to sell
Jan Buchholz
Austin Business Journal
March 29, 2013

The southwest corner is where the three buildings comprising Waller Center will go up. I don't know if the southeast corner (the site I think you're asking about) ever got sold.
There ain't squat going up in the SE part of downtown..The high rise hibernation has begun. Sad

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 11:00 AM
BANNED

I suspect (with the way this project has been progressing) that the final design will be a 360X360X360 off-white stucco cube with no windows with a flagpole on top flying a huge flag with a big gaudy "F" on it!
Well, there's still Waller Place!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 1:11 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
There ain't squat going up in the SE part of downtown..The high rise hibernation has begun. Sad
Except for Fairmont...

And have you heard something we haven't about Waller and 99 Trinity?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Except for Fairmont...

And have you heard something we haven't about Waller and 99 Trinity?
Is anything happening??? These two projects have been discussed for several years and nothing has progressed other than talk.I would love to be contradicted but, as of yet, NOTHING IS BEING BUILT..
Take a panorama of DT now and see if much changes in the next several years..Other than projects U/C ,I fear little change will be seen...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 8:23 PM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Is anything happening??? These two projects have been discussed for several years and nothing has progressed other than talk.I would love to be contradicted but, as of yet, NOTHING IS BEING BUILT..
Take a panorama of DT now and see if much changes in the next several years..Other than projects U/C ,I fear little change will be seen...
Fairmont, Millenium, and the Van Zandt hotel are under construction right now. 7 More highrises are in the planning and permitting phase in this area. With all that has happened on Rainey Street these last few years this is probably one of the biggest transformations of a 3 block neighborhood in the entire nation. It's mind blowing to see the difference that has already taken place and even more impressive to see what is about to come.

You are being overly pessimistic by even your own standards here.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 10:44 PM
Meh

Quote:
They're going through the development review process. Even after the Fairmont was approved 2 years ago, it took a while, but it's finally moving forward now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin