HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Is there a story or tradition behind the end of game drum "ceremony" that the team did at centre field with the crowd?
Viking Thunder Clap

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post

Some of you most likely have more insight but, I have no clue just how good this team is. It could place in the bottom half of its group in Qatar or cruise to the quarter finals. It will be lots of fun
It's going to be tough to get past the group stage. But not impossible. We are going to need a bit of luck on friday's draw. I read through the procedures. Here's hoping we are in group A, with the hosts Qatar. Here's why.

Teams will be split up in 4 pots, based on FIFA rankings on March 31. Pot 1 the best 7, + Qatar. Pot 2 the next best 8, pot 3 the next 8, and then finally pot 4 with the 5 lowest ranked teams + the 3 teams in the playoff runs. (UEFA path A playoff, CONCACAF vs OFC and AFC vs CONMEBOL)

We are going to be in pot 3 or 4. It will be known today, as Africa decides their teams today. 3 of the 10 remaining African teams are above us in the rankings, while the rest are below us. 5 teams make it to the World cup from Africa.

So far, 20 teams have qualified, and only 3 are ranked lower than us. The hosts, Saudi Arabia and Ecuador. So it's going to be close, as far as our chances go to make it to pot 3.

Costa Rica should finish 4th in CONCACAF, and they should beat the OFC team during the playoff run (most likely NZ), so they're another team that is below us in the rankings right now.

We are assured that the US, Mexico and Costa Rica will not be in our group, as you cannot have 2 teams from the same confederation in the same group, except for UEFA teams, due to their numbers.

So by the looks of it, any group we draw will be a tough go. Even if we make it to pot 3, we could end up with 3 other teams ranked higher than us, if the draw for a pot 4 team is a UEFA playoff run team from Path A. (ex. Wales), or the 5th South American team. (ex. Peru, Chile or Columbia)

So yeah, Group A should be a bit easier, due to Qatar's seeding in pot 1. Plus let's face it, how awesome would it be to get the opening match against Qatar, and beat their ass to a pulp, in their house !

Edit: Opening match is between A1 (Qatar) and A2, the team from pot 2, so it can't be Canada, unless our rankings go up significantly in 2 days time, and we somehow miraculously make it to pot 2, which I doubt.

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/2ef762...r-Template.pdf

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Mar 29, 2022 at 1:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 1:33 PM
arf

^Yep. It will be tough. Really looking forward to the draw on Friday and you know what, we've played the US and Mexico and Costa Rica all very well in atmosphere's that are very adverse. I like our chances to be competitive in two of the three matches.

It's going to be hot. Even in November. Weather may be our biggest foe.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 1:37 PM
ハルウララ

I saw a mock draw yesterday that drew Canada into a group with Spain, Serbia, and Uruguay. Not ideal.

We'll have a much better picture after Africa and South America qualifying are wrapped up today. Of the teams qualified so far the easiest for Canada to draw would be Qatar, followed by maybe Switzerland, Ecuador, and Saudi Arabia. I think it would be great if Canada were to end up in a group with one top 5 team in the world and then two middling teams that we can give a good run. It is possible for this team to make the knockout round under the right circumstances.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Yes, the OP was bull. Soccer was then and to a large extent still is the "immigrant" sport especially as it get to levels beyond the "daycare" stage.
If by immigrant you mean actual immigrant youths plus those who are first gen to immigrant parents then yes, that was my experience in the 80s to 90s. But many of those kids were still seen as white including Italian and Portuguese. We’d say “that white guy over there” regardless of ethnicity because that was the closest skin colour. Most of my teams if not all were white majority, including high school.

And lots of my peers were born to British or Eastern European immigrant parents. The EE was more so for the Mississauga schools we used to play against. The two Caledon schools back then were naturally way more white than just a majority.

I grew up in Heart Lake, Brampton. Possibly the whitest area of Brampton that wasn’t rural. Well, Peel Village and some parts of Bramalea, Castlemore and Downtown were pretty damn white too. On my street, in the 25 years I was there I can recall two Jamaican families, a white and Indian mixed, one Ecuadorian and one Filipino off the top of my head.

Last edited by megadude; Mar 29, 2022 at 1:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I saw a mock draw yesterday that drew Canada into a group with Spain, Serbia, and Uruguay. Not ideal.

We'll have a much better picture after Africa and South America qualifying are wrapped up today.
South America's top 4 are already decided, and their 5th placed playoff team is more or less irrelevant for Canada, as they can only be Peru, Chile and Columbia, and they are all ranked higher than us.

Africa will decide if we are pot 3 or 4, plus our ranking movement come March 31.

Quote:
Of the teams qualified so far the easiest for Canada to draw would be Qatar, followed by maybe Switzerland, Ecuador, and Saudi Arabia. I think it would be great if Canada were to end up in a group with one top 5 team in the world and then two middling teams that we can give a good run.
That would be ideal, yes.

Switzerland can be a tricky team to beat though. And any team from South America will be a massive challenge for Canada, including Ecuador. If we are not in group A with Qatar, here's hoping we are in pot 3 and draw Saudi Arabia in pot 4. African teams can be tough to beat as well. They are used to playing in high heat (northern African countries) or high humidity conditions (central Africa), which won't help our cause.

Quote:
It is possible for this team to make the knockout round under the right circumstances.
Absolutely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It's going to be hot. Even in November. Weather may be our biggest foe.
Indeed. We will need to perform in 30C weather. (average high for the month of Nov in Qatar).

Qatar, Saudi Arabia and most of the African teams know a thing or two about that, so they have the upper hand. So even if we end up in a group with them in it, it will by no means be easy.

Like I said, it's going to be tough, but not impossible.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Mar 29, 2022 at 2:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 2:11 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
South America's top 4 are already decided, and their 5th placed playoff team is more or less irrelevant for Canada, as they can only be Peru, Chile and Columbia, and they are all ranked higher than us.

Africa will decide if we are pot 3 or 4, plus our ranking movement come March 31.
Sure, but even then i'd like to avoid Peru and Chile if possible!

Africa always seems like a wildcard to me. Sometimes teams like Egypt and Nigeria really show up in matches and sometimes they don't. Obviously we'd prefer if Mali and DR Congo got in but really I don't think it matters too much.

Quote:
Switzerland can be a tricky team to beat though.
Better than drawing France or Belgium.

Quote:
And any team from South America will be a massive challenge for Canada, including Ecuador. If we are not in group A with Qatar, here's hoping we are in pot 3 and draw Saudi Arabia in pot 4. African teams can be tough to beat as well. They are used to playing in high heat/humidity conditions, which won't help our cause.
At the end of the day I think it's best if we get one very good team in our group (France, Brazil, whomever) who will be a great litmus test to see how good we actually are, and then two countries who we should be able to beat, or at least be competitive with.

Sometimes playing in CONCACAF makes it difficult to gauge just how strong our opponents are relative to other confederations. A lot of CONCACAF teams don't really travel outside of the region so it's not like we have a lot of friendlies to go off of to gauge our ability. I think Andorra was playing St. Kitts and Grenada this week? Doesn't tell us a ton. In theory if we're able to beat the US and Mexico then we should be able to beat any country coming out of Asia or Africa, but who really knows. We'll find out on Friday!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 2:50 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
It's going to be tough to get past the group stage. But not impossible. We are going to need a bit of luck on friday's draw. I read through the procedures. Here's hoping we are in group A, with the hosts Qatar. Here's why.

Teams will be split up in 4 pots, based on FIFA rankings on March 31. Pot 1 the best 7, + Qatar. Pot 2 the next best 8, pot 3 the next 8, and then finally pot 4 with the 5 lowest ranked teams + the 3 teams in the playoff runs. (UEFA path A playoff, CONCACAF vs OFC and AFC vs CONMEBOL)

We are going to be in pot 3 or 4. It will be known today, as Africa decides their teams today. 3 of the 10 remaining African teams are above us in the rankings, while the rest are below us. 5 teams make it to the World cup from Africa.

So far, 20 teams have qualified, and only 3 are ranked lower than us. The hosts, Saudi Arabia and Ecuador. So it's going to be close, as far as our chances go to make it to pot 3.

Costa Rica should finish 4th in CONCACAF, and they should beat the OFC team during the playoff run (most likely NZ), so they're another team that is below us in the rankings right now.

We are assured that the US, Mexico and Costa Rica will not be in our group, as you cannot have 2 teams from the same confederation in the same group, except for UEFA teams, due to their numbers.

So by the looks of it, any group we draw will be a tough go. Even if we make it to pot 3, we could end up with 3 other teams ranked higher than us, if the draw for a pot 4 team is a UEFA playoff run team from Path A. (ex. Wales), or the 5th South American team. (ex. Peru, Chile or Columbia)

So yeah, Group A should be a bit easier, due to Qatar's seeding in pot 1. Plus let's face it, how awesome would it be to get the opening match against Qatar, and beat their ass to a pulp, in their house !

Edit: Opening match is between A1 (Qatar) and A2, the team from pot 2, so it can't be Canada, unless our rankings go up significantly in 2 days time, and we somehow miraculously make it to pot 2, which I doubt.

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/2ef762...r-Template.pdf

Wow. Thanks for that.

I was just looking at the rankings. The US and Mexico are ranked roughly 20 places above Canada and near the top 10. Our ranking/points is still in part to the 80th place ranking last year. This team is better than its ranking. To me, It was unknown how much better

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 2:56 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I was just looking at the rankings. The US and Mexico are ranked roughly 20 places above Canada and near the top 10. Our ranking/points is still in part to the 80th place ranking last year. This team is better than its ranking. To me, It was unknown how much better
FIFA Ratings have a bit of lag. I'd recommend checking out the ELO Ratings which are usually a better gauge. On ELO the US is 15, Mexico 19, and Canada 24, which is probably more accurate for today.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 3:51 PM
arf

Quote:

We'll have a much better picture after Africa and South America qualifying are wrapped up today. Of the teams qualified so far the easiest for Canada to draw would be Qatar, followed by maybe Switzerland, Ecuador, and Saudi Arabia. I think it would be great if Canada were to end up in a group with one top 5 team in the world and then two middling teams that we can give a good run. It is possible for this team to make the knockout round under the right circumstances.
Unless some craziness happens in the African qualifying, Canada will more than likely be in Pot D, so all the teams are going to be be top-30 in the world. But we played some of those teams competitively on hostile ground (Mexico, USA) so I like our chances to be competitive through two of the three matches. Who knows, maybe we luck out and draw Argentina or Portugal in the first match and they put up their usual dud of a first match.

Just saw JHikka's post. It would be fortuitous if our ranking can get us into Pot C.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:34 PM

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
FIFA Ratings have a bit of lag. I'd recommend checking out the ELO Ratings which are usually a better gauge. On ELO the US is 15, Mexico 19, and Canada 24, which is probably more accurate for today.
According to ELO, Canada is 23rd, and has jumped by 31 spots in 1 year. The biggest jump of any country in the top 100.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
If by immigrant you mean actual immigrant youths plus those who are first gen to immigrant parents then yes, that was my experience in the 80s to 90s. But many of those kids were still seen as white including Italian and Portuguese. We’d say “that white guy over there” regardless of ethnicity because that was the closest skin colour. Most of my teams if not all were white majority, including high school.

And lots of my peers were born to British or Eastern European immigrant parents. The EE was more so for the Mississauga schools we used to play against. The two Caledon schools back then were naturally way more white than just a majority.

I grew up in Heart Lake, Brampton. Possibly the whitest area of Brampton that wasn’t rural. Well, Peel Village and some parts of Bramalea, Castlemore and Downtown were pretty damn white too. On my street, in the 25 years I was there I can recall two Jamaican families, a white and Indian mixed, one Ecuadorian and one Filipino off the top of my head.
I'm in my mid 50's and play soccer year round. Most of the guys I play with are either born elsewhere or have parents from a soccer nation. Very few 'cradle' canadians at my age playing the game. Most of the guys on my indoor team are from the UK (like me) and we have a common level of banter and cultural reference points. We can make jokes about Status Quo and laugh at them the same way some make jokes about Nickelback and Rush.

I lived in Brampton for a while in the early 90's and recall watching parts of World Cup 1990 at a crummy pub on Hurontario Street about a km or two south of the '4 corners'.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I'm in my mid 50's and play soccer year round. Most of the guys I play with are either born elsewhere or have parents from a soccer nation. Very few 'cradle' canadians at my age playing the game. Most of the guys on my indoor team are from the UK (like me) and we have a common level of banter and cultural reference points. We can make jokes about Status Quo and laugh at them the same way some make jokes about Nickelback and Rush.

I lived in Brampton for a while in the early 90's and recall watching parts of World Cup 1990 at a crummy pub on Hurontario Street about a km or two south of the '4 corners'.
Crummy pub in that area sounds about right.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
and laugh at them the same way some make jokes about Nickelback and Rush
Two words that shouldn't be in the same sentence. And who makes jokes about Rush?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:32 PM

I was googling Brampton soccer in the 80s to look for some youth team pics. Hard to come by. The best I could find was a 2005 U13 team that included Osorio. 17 players, 8 of them potentially white. And yes, like I explained above, I consider Italian and Portuguese white, if we're grouping people into general skin colour. 8/17 in 2005. Imagine what it was like well before then.

If you just google Brampton youth soccer, then it'll show recent teams, which obviously is composed differently. A lot more black and brown kids.

Edit: Found a pic from a Brampton youth team in the 80s. Possibly 9/13 are white.

There's still a Celtic supporters club and Rangers supporters club in Brampton. One of them I used to pass by everyday driving by Bramalea GO Station. Last boss was born in Scotland and came to Brampton as a youngster and played much soccer. Still lives there. There is or was sizeable British, Italian and Portuguese populations.

Also googled Mississauga youth soccer in the 80s and 90s and nothing. Did the same for Toronto and didn't really have anything. There were two youth clubs showing pics, one from East York in 2014 and Etobicoke in 2018. See below.

So yeah, there was quite a white contingent during my time in the 80s and 90s. I mean, just look at Canada's 2000 Gold Cup Squad. So it wasn't a minority's game back then. Immigrant's or first gen born to immigrants? Yes. But a meaningful portion of that would include the British. And this is just the GTA. Now you got guys like Phonsie and David and Kone, etc. from other cities, but go back a couple of decades and that would have been a huge anomaly.

Last edited by megadude; Mar 29, 2022 at 5:42 PM. Reason: unsourced, etc.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:35 PM
ハルウララ

Aside from the pictures being unsourced can we try to keep away from some weird navel gazing-ey discussion re: the ethnicity of youth clubs in GTA? Thanks everyone. Perhaps the Sports in Canadian culture thread would be a better spot to count the ethnicity of athletes, if that's your sort of thing.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:43 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:44 PM

There are reports coming out that Edmonton's mayor received a letter from the Kenny Gov that they will be joining in to support our WC bid.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
How long before Herdman gets a club job back home? Can totally see Championship sides wanting to hire him. Really a Premier League team should give him a try but 99% of the time they go for the safe hire. Though safe is relative because you get former players who have name recognition that coached a reserve or lower division team for like 1-2 years suddenly hoisted up into the big job. And Lord knows how many big name coaches with good track records have also failed spectacularly on occasion.

Herdman is short in stature but oozes charisma like Klopp. He gets guys, and gals, to buy in. He'd be a better option than some hires from big EPL teams in the past but it would probably be beneficial for him to go to a decent Championship team and learn the ropes more at club football and hopefully do well and take it from there.

Of course, I'm sure there's other national teams watching too. I want him to win a Gold Cup first though!

How likely will it be for him to be HC at home in four years? CSA will have to shell out some dough unless he has some big buyout clause in his contract.
I believe Herdman is under contract until the end of the 2026 world cup. Not sure what's all involved to break that beforehand, but I can almost guarantee he's gone after that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada