HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
This may be a dumb question, but what will they do with the void in the floorplates when it's time for the tower crane to come down? Wouldn't it make sense to build the tower crane in an elevator shaft?
A video of the internal climbing crane
Video Link

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
A video of the internal climbing crane
Video Link
That certainly makes the most sense but for a building such as Gr333n and I believe even WPE the first section of the tower crane is poured into a concrete base. So I take it that's just left in there. Seems like a waste.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
That certainly makes the most sense but for a building such as Gr333n and I believe even WPE the first section of the tower crane is poured into a concrete base. So I take it that's just left in there. Seems like a waste.
It's not really a waste as those footings a lot of the time are a part of the footings for columns or other parts of the structure. If you look closely at the picture you posted of Gr333n you can see the rebar in the corners for columns. And on WPE the base is a part of one of the footings of the larger columns (there's a picture somewhere on this thread). For tower crane footings on the outside of a building, yeah the footing is demolished after the crane is dismantled, and I guess that is a waste, yeah, but I imagine the steel/concrete is recycled so it's not that bad.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
It's not really a waste as those footings a lot of the time are a part of the footings for columns or other parts of the structure. If you look closely at the picture you posted of Gr333n you can see the rebar in the corners for columns. And on WPE the base is a part of one of the footings of the larger columns (there's a picture somewhere on this thread). For tower crane footings on the outside of a building, yeah the footing is demolished after the crane is dismantled, and I guess that is a waste, yeah, but I imagine the steel/concrete is recycled so it's not that bad.
Just the stubs are left in - in the photo below (of Wolf Point East) the concrete will rise to just above the re-bar, notice the plastic wrapped around the bolts so that even the last section can be removed. This is standing on legs that are 5-8' tall - well deep in the matt now.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
^ Really no way of prettying up that building, short of a complete recladding or full scale demolition, none of which are happening anytime soon.

I'll take the dead baby blue over the Taco Bell vomit taupe. At least its a change of scenery
My studio did the renderings for this buildings current and future renovations and there were many many options studied. IMO it is unfortunate this is what they ended up doing with the exterior.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 9:22 AM
Chicago

May 18, 2018

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 11:50 PM

Nice pics solar...they have been busy!

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 1:53 PM

In the last photo, what are the caissons outside the sheet pile wall for? Future river walk?

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
In the last photo, what are the caissons outside the sheet pile wall for? Future river walk?
I hesitate to call these private stretches RiverWalk - but yes.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 3:49 PM

Hope the site doesn't flood today.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Hope the site doesn't flood today.
River is not rising at this time.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
I hesitate to call these private stretches RiverWalk - but yes.
Harryc, are these areas blocked off from public access? I know some forumers were concerned about access to the small park in front of River Point during construction but I was able to walk around there easily at day and at night after the building was finished (there were even a couple of homeless camped out.)

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Harryc, are these areas blocked off from public access? I know some forumers were concerned about access to the small park in front of River Point during construction but I was able to walk around there easily at day and at night after the building was finished (there were even a couple of homeless camped out.)
They have not been blocked off, yet. (AFAIK)

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:28 AM
Chicago

May 24, 2018

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:21 PM

As some article said a while ago, it's not a matter of if someone is going to die on the river, but when. Wayyy too much traffic and too many ways to get hurt, like those kayaks are cool and all, but you don't need to be getting as close as possible to an active construction site like that, you never know when a board or something will go overboard and hit you in the head, knock you out of the kayak and you drown.

I have a cottage on a big river in Wisconsin and that can be challenging to navigate with the amount of big (i.e. cabin crusisers, house boats, and cigarette boats) up there. I got to drive a pontoon down here last summer and I can tell you the Chicago River is the hardest waterway to navigate I've ever seen. Those sight seeing boats move quickly and aggressively, you have people drinking everywhere including people who don't know how to operate a boat. There's actually cross currents all over the river where you will suddenly start getting pushed sideways with no warning into the middle of the river because there is some outflow under the waterline from a drain or something. On top of all of that you have human powered craft like kayaks everywhere. It's only a matter of time before something happens.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 10:07 PM
BANNED

^Oh don’t be such a worry wart.

Interesting fact: Those cross currents aren’t created by drains. It’s discharge water coming from a neighboring building’s cooling system. Many buildings utilized this ingenuitive design, called deep water source cooling, until it was banned by some nerds at the EPA a decade or two ago. The last new tower to employ this was Trump Tower, which was, interestingly, granted use of the river after the ban. I guess they had some deal-maker who pulled a few strings.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Oh don’t be such a worry wart.

Interesting fact: Those cross currents aren’t created by drains. It’s discharge water coming from a neighboring building’s cooling system. Many buildings utilized this ingenuitive design, called deep water source cooling, until it was banned by some nerds at the EPA a decade or two ago. The last new tower to employ this was Trump Tower, which was, interestingly, granted use of the river after the ban. I guess they had some deal-maker who pulled a few strings.
This comment is one of 4 results if you search for "deep water source cooling" and trump tower. So I guess it is as accurate as you would expect.

If you are talking about using the river to cool the condensers, sure. But that isn't exactly uncommon.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 3:36 AM

May 16

May 23

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 5:48 AM

I love watching rebar going skyward.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 3:00 AM
Chicago

May 30, 2018

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive