HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 10:34 PM

The Surrey City Centre boundary extends from 96th in the South to 112th in the North:

http://www.surrey.ca/files/CityCentreBoundary.pdf

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 5:31 AM

Besides, aren't these towers being built exactly on 108 Ave?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 6:50 AM

The Buttjes website says the SkyTrain guideway bisects the site - so it must be south of 105a Ave.
The Bosa website shows Bosa developing the parcels south of 105 Ave.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 4:56 PM

This is the property here.. it's just North of Gateway Station.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:26 PM

Skytrain bisects the site but won't bisect the development. Based on the renders posted here and that I've seen, the actual build project will take place on the west side of the Skytrain line so both towers and associated townhouses will face University Drive.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:35 PM

Yeah it's clear from the aerial that there isn't enough space for a tower between the Skytrain and King George Blvd. Although it doesn't show it on the map I posted, the site also includes the small triangular lot across University Dr. (So University Dr. bisects the site as well).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
This is the property here.. it's just North of Gateway Station.
Thanks!

That IS far up there...
But good to see it's not another low-rise.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 11:30 PM

It's very close to Gateway Station though, 2 min walk, so not out of place or too far North. I know of properties even further North of this along the King George bend where developers are interested in doing towers as well.

Increased density along the King George corridor between 108 and the Pattullo Bridge would do a lot to bridge the gap between Surrey City Centre and New West, as well as perceptions as you enter Surrey on Skytrain.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 1:37 AM

Great if that lot gets developed, but have I understood correctly that this area is one of the least desirable areas to live in Central Surrey? I remember reading that a lot of crack heads live in the area, but perhaps I am mistaken...

Hopefully new development would help to clean up such.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 2:03 AM

Crack heads live there because it's a giant undeveloped parcel of land. Once it gets developed and occupied by people who care about their area, it should clean up.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Great if that lot gets developed, but have I understood correctly that this area is one of the least desirable areas to live in Central Surrey? I remember reading that a lot of crack heads live in the area, but perhaps I am mistaken...

I think the new development will help clean it up. I'm not familiar with the area but depending on the quality of the units, these things will probably rent for a higher price than these drug addicts can afford (pushing them out). There's already decent apartments and condos located right beside Gateway station so to me, it looks like the gentrification process has already begun.

And with Civic Centre going up, the demographics are definitely going to be in the middle of a change.

But where these gentrifying projects are pushing these drug addicts to, is a question for the future.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 2:28 AM

i moved here over 20 years ago and was told that area was going to built up like mad. I think that area has been bought and sold or traded. Give it another 20 years they may squeeze all the scum out of walley.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:34 AM

I've always wondered if this piece of land will see some action. Aside from the aforementioned crack heads and the occasional squatters camping on it, it's actually a good location. Close to transit and another niche for whalley to grow. Heck, even the cul-de-sac has already been pre-made. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 9:55 AM

The views of the mountains will be breathtaking. Better than anything in New West

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 8:16 PM

PS - I remember in the 1990s when Intrawest built the Observatory and Cornerstone (the towers on the NW corner of 108th & University) that there were supposed to be 4 towers, not just the 3 that were built. There was supposed to be a twin to the single one there (2 of each design).
Not sure who owns the parcel now, but I wonder if that site will get built out?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
It's very close to Gateway Station though, 2 min walk, so not out of place or too far North. I know of properties even further North of this along the King George bend where developers are interested in doing towers as well.

Increased density along the King George corridor between 108 and the Pattullo Bridge would do a lot to bridge the gap between Surrey City Centre and New West, as well as perceptions as you enter Surrey on Skytrain.
Yah the perception once you cross the bridge from New West is that you're entering an industrial wasteland. You pretty much are too until you get up the hill.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post

It is. A lot of issues in that stretch from just beyond 108th (more like around 112th) to maybe 105th is that there are a lot of empty lots and poor lighting. So it just attracts the undesirables. You go across the street from this project and you have for example, a brand new hotel and townhouse complex, then right beside them 2 open lots with dumped garbage, couches, and furniture.

And then you have the road lanes which are narrow, no sidewalks, ditches, etc. still. Definitely a lot of work still needing to be done.

This project though gets rid of the largest empty lot right around Gateway so there's that but it will still take a number of years.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
i moved here over 20 years ago and was told that area was going to built up like mad. I think that area has been bought and sold or traded. Give it another 20 years they may squeeze all the scum out of walley.
The name "Gateway" came from that project probably 20 years ago by Intrawest which would have seen several dozen highrises built including office towers. The three older towers + Station Square were really phase 1 of that project before it lost steam and died.

All the other plots were sold off to other people and much of it has just sat. We then saw the lowrises start to be built up but Surrey really wants more towers around there not just lowrise buildings.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
PS - I remember in the 1990s when Intrawest built the Observatory and Cornerstone (the towers on the NW corner of 108th & University) that there were supposed to be 4 towers, not just the 3 that were built. There was supposed to be a twin to the single one there (2 of each design).
Not sure who owns the parcel now, but I wonder if that site will get built out?
Looks like there was an application to rezone that remaining parcel in 2007 to permit a 28 Story tower, but it never went anywhere. It will probably come back around at some point, but now that it's a new developer.. not sure if it would be branded Observatory 2.

https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Develo...ar=07&seq=0393

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Yah the perception once you cross the bridge from New West is that you're entering an industrial wasteland. You pretty much are too until you get up the hill.
There is a long-range plan to clean up that area which includes mixed-use residential, retail, business park, and commercial.. but it will likely be 50+ years before it's actualized. The moving of the rec centre and future stadium over the next couple of decades will be key in catalyzing it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley