HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 3:48 PM

Its good to see the city has a back bone and has not set a horrible precedent.

Now the by laws need to be amended and they need to start charging Onni a fine for leaving the units empty and and un attractive for so long. They need to force Onni to either rent them out at any cost or improve the way the empty units look. Say put some Marine themed displays in the windows.

The fine should then increase with time. Its a good by law to have and makes sense, similar by laws are already in place that are meant to protect the community. You don't get to leave units empty and ugly for ever, make a effort to make sure they are rented or attractive. Will not be difficult to meet the requirements to avoid a fine and liven up the neighbourhood.

Dont kid your self Onni is trying extra hard to keep those units empty and as ugly as possible to inflict as much harm on the community as they can to try and force them to heed to their demands. The city has the tools to put a stop to this.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 7:14 PM

Its not a bylaw infraction to have an empty retail space - just look at some condo projects in downtown Vancouver (or even Robson St.). Their penalty is the carrying cost of the empty space. It may be that they factored in the cost of carrying unrentable retail space when they built the project in the first place (i.e. recouped the construction costs through condo profits).

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 6:46 PM

The City of Richmond are being malicious and predatory - intentionally maintaining the obsolete zoning in order to force Onni to walk-away from the project. Good on Onni for pushing-forward and highlighting the absurdity.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
the city cant just "get over it" or give up. that would set a terrible precedent and once you start that ball rolling, good luck stopping it. developers will line up knowing the city has no back bone and can be pushed around. starts with marine only businesses, but where would it end?
Just get over it and think for the sake of the local residents already.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomReaper View Post
The City of Richmond are being malicious and predatory - intentionally maintaining the obsolete zoning in order to force Onni to walk-away from the project. Good on Onni for pushing-forward and highlighting the absurdity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
but is Onni doing this on purpose? i.e. are they charging over the top rents so that no marine business goes in there and thereby saying "oh look, see? empty lets change the zoning so we can make more money." i am sure if the rent prices for those spaces went down, then businesses would open up in there.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Its not a bylaw infraction to have an empty retail space - just look at some condo projects in downtown Vancouver (or even Robson St.). Their penalty is the carrying cost of the empty space. It may be that they factored in the cost of carrying unrentable retail space when they built the project in the first place (i.e. recouped the construction costs through condo profits).
Nailed it. A little-known secret in the industry, created in response to civic demands for ground floor retail everywhere, even if there's zero market need for it: you load the retail development costs onto the residential units. Why should the developer bear the cost of something uneconomic?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
What makes you think the local residents want it? Given that ONNI planned a grocery store in one CRU (an incredible waste of a riverfront site) the last thing many residents would want is the increased traffic at this peripheral site.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Nailed it. A little-known secret in the industry, created in response to civic demands for ground floor retail everywhere, even if there's zero market need for it: you load the retail development costs onto the residential units. Why should the developer bear the cost of something uneconomic?
Ditto for other community amenities included in a project.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 11:37 PM
Dahvie Fan

No one had mentioned how exactly this is "hurting" the community. Because Onni can't lease those units out to a subway, hair salon, and dentist office? Boohoo. You made your bed Onni now sleep in it

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Can you please provide information on this development: developer/building name/website? Thanks!
Sorry this took me a while to get back. From what I understand the owner developed the building and is living in one of the units (usually a good sign). You can find them listed on rew.ca (not cheap but what is these days!)

[IMG]Chatham by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
What makes you think the local residents want it? Given that ONNI planned a grocery store in one CRU (an incredible waste of a riverfront site) the last thing many residents would want is the increased traffic at this peripheral site.
Your comment makes me laugh.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Your comment makes me laugh.
How so?

Do you even know the area?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 7:23 PM

Quote:
How so?

Do you even know the area?
And I suppose you know all the residents living in those Onni buildings, and the fact that they all hate to have the convenience of doing grocery shopping downstairs, and fear hoards of people coming to their riverfront boardwalk huh?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 7:26 PM

Thank you @whatnext!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 8:12 PM

i was there a few weeks ago on a friday night and there were a lot of homeless looking people hanging out in the empty retail area doorways with all their gear like you see on granville street. Not many people walking around and it was only 9 pm.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
And I suppose you know all the residents living in those Onni buildings, and the fact that they all hate to have the convenience of doing grocery shopping downstairs, and fear hoards of people coming to their riverfront boardwalk huh?
No, I don't know "all" the residents of Imperial Landing, but I know a few. If you knew the area you'd realize it is basically the end of the road (literally). The worst place to put a grocery store. No resident is thrilled at the prospect of the semi-trucks required to service a grocery store navigating the fairly narrow streets in the wee hours. Add to that the area immediately west is often very congested in the summer months with pedestrian and vehicles.

There is already one grocery store in Steveston and another planned for the Roderick Living development a couple blocks away. Putting another on the riverfront is stupid.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 6:17 AM

yea, looking at the spots it doesn't seem like one would be big enough for a grocery store, maybe a 7-11 or small convenience store.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 6:29 AM

Quote:
If I lived there I would kill to have a grocery store there!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 7:27 PM

Quote:
No, I don't know "all" the residents of Imperial Landing, but I know a few. If you knew the area you'd realize it is basically the end of the road (literally). The worst place to put a grocery store. No resident is thrilled at the prospect of the semi-trucks required to service a grocery store navigating the fairly narrow streets in the wee hours. Add to that the area immediately west is often very congested in the summer months with pedestrian and vehicles.

There is already one grocery store in Steveston and another planned for the Roderick Living development a couple blocks away. Putting another on the riverfront is stupid.
The people bought those units from ONNI knowing full well there would be CRUs downstairs. You mean they would prefer "marine-related" shops to grocery stores? I would love seeing a few greasy boat motor mechanic businesses setting up shop over there, testing those oh-so-sweet units by grunting them to a purrfect-pitch hum. I'm sure those residents you know would be thrilled and elated! Who wants the convenience of a neighbourhood grocery store when we can get some exciting marine-related shops eh?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 1:44 AM

as the world turns

http://www.richmond-news.com/news/ci...fer-1.23101834

City rejects Onni's compensation offer

"“(Maritime use zoning) would have been an amazing, amazing opportunity,” said Coun. Carol Day.
“What we’ve lost here is a marina, a community with a vibe, viable businesses that could contribute to the village of Steveston…we lost probably the most special harbour site improvement on the West Coast of Canada."

No. No one cares about maritime use zoning at all. Those are not viable businesses and would have pretty much no benefit to people walking around Steveston.

"Roston said he will recommend a different consultant to the city staff to revisit the assessment."

Must be taking a book out of the NDP handbook. When one consultant doesn't give you the answer you are looking for, keep hiring one until they do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley