HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 4:27 PM

About how tall do you think this building will be?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 4:00 AM

I'd guess around 210'-225'?

15 foot first floor, 12 for the rest totals out to 207. Dunno if those estimates make any sense at all, haha.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 9:24 PM
Everywhere all at once

Wow, that rendering is sick-ASS!!! Not your average dorm building, that's for sure. Some lucky students will be living there in one more school year.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 8:18 AM

Nice shape, but something tells me the facade will end up not looking anywhere near as cool as it does in these renderings:

And the site. The tennis courts will be replaced by new ones going up behind the 7-11.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 8:22 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I am more than a little skeptical about how well the building will turn out: Erdy-McHenry also built the Edge on Avenue North, and that building's usually considered the dormitory of last resort. I refuse to dorm in the Edge: I'd rather commute.

They also designed that Hancock Square place over by Liberties Walk, which I'm also apprehensive of. It's a brand new building, but the concrete's already cracking.

Does anybody know who's developing? I know Blatstein developed the two aforementioned projects and they certainly seem like more than a few corners were cut.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 5:02 AM

hammersklavier, what make the Edge so bad?

Looking at pictures of that one, it's quite similar to another Erdy-McHenry dorm at Drexel - the Race Street Dorm. In the birds-eye view above it's located just out of frame at the lower left.

Renderings:

The finished product:

And a couple pics from Flickr user The Plaz:

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 7:26 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Few Temple students like the Edge. The pictures don't tell the whole story: when you look at it, the end wall concrete changes color randomly in panels which, of course, makes it seem cheap. I've known people who lived there and from all I've heard, it's a boring place, with bare concrete floors, walls, ceilings, leaky toilets, and random F-- You's carved into the stairwell concrete--concrete that, as I've said before, it seems the developer or contractors or whatever were so cheap that they couldn't even make sure the concrete was the same shade (although I do realize that as a building rises, different mixes are needed, lighter and lighter in consistency) and what is, architecturally speaking, the most important feature!...

It's one of those loathings that takes time to develop, but for me, the Edge eminates an aura of cheapness, as if the building was going to fall apart any day now. And I do not trust Bart Blatstein (although I do wonder if Erdy-McHenry by different developers is less...atrocious).

BTW, here's what other Temple students say on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...q%3Dthe%2Bedge and, I'm sorry, I forgot how to hyperlink shorter links.

EDIT: What Erdy-McHenry says about the Drexel Dormitory: http://www.em-arc.com/projects/34rh.html

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Last edited by hammersklavier; Aug 18, 2008 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 4:01 PM
Realtor

Should have an impact on the skyline

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 7:23 PM

My my students are pickey these days. They eschew living in dorms because concrete is the wrong shade. No wonder the cost of a college education is so enormous today. Schools are too busy appealing to the aesthetic whims of 19 year olds and not concentrating on the important stuff: academics.

I didn't go to school THAT long ago (late 90s), but we were lucky if our dorms had central A/C and laundry in the building. Fitness Centers were just a future fad at that point.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 8:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
No wonder the cost of a college education is so enormous today. Schools are too busy appealing to the aesthetic whims of 19 year olds and not concentrating on the important stuff: academics.
That was a pretty naive comment, especially from a college educator...yikes! It's hard to increase the quality of your professors, students, and facilities if those prospects choose other, academically compatible institutions in more attractive locales. I know Penn State is strongly committed to maxing-out its already beautiful campus in order to retain great professors and recruit good students. The result...more students applied to Penn State last year than any other institution of higher learning in the country. (Source: I just saw Graham Spanier's state of the university address the other day.) The first few minutes speak to the importance of a well-planned campus for all of those interested in development immediately following some introductory statistics. I was up in State College all last week and the place is booming...the infrastructure is so good that it reminded me of California, and it keeps changing big time not every year, but every quarter.

Some quotes from the video link:

"Our greatest strength is found in our common purpose…as one university committed to excellence in teaching, research, and service. This core mission has remained the same since our founding, even as our campuses have undergone an unprecedented physical transformation. We have added seven million square feet to our campuses since 1995. Even more importantly, we have rewritten some of the fundamental notions about campus planning so that each new project not only improves the physical appearance of campus, it enhances the way students live, learn, and experience campus life." - Graham Spanier, President of Penn State

"It’s absolutely undeniable, I believe, that any curriculum is in part judged by the quality of the facility in which the curriculum is being taught. At Penn State we are preserving, adapting, and reusing our historic buildings and landscapes. We are paying equal attention to creating state-of-the-art new facilities that will take us well into the 21st century. And we are putting them together in a campus landscape, that creates a single standard and symbol of Penn State’s respect for the past, commitment to the future on a campus that is attractive and welcoming in bringing our alumni back decade after decade because it’s such a truly wonderful place to be. Faculty, staff, visitors, alumni frequently comment on how attractive the campus is, and how impressed they are with the commitment to making the campus more attractive, to make it more student centered, to make it more recognizable, to make it more memorable. I mean there is so much value in doing the right thing and doing it well." - Gordon Turow, Director of Campus Planning and Design

"When we began our master planning process a decade ago, our goal was to develop model student-centered campuses – with a pedestrian-oriented core, sustainable buildings, open green space, and an emphasis on efficient land use. We made a commitment to preserve the historic heritage of Penn State while embracing the uniqueness of each campus. We also urgently needed to bring our facilities up to a level that could support Penn State’s $700 million research enterprise, which ranks as one of the largest in the world.
" - Graham Spanier

Last edited by Don098; Sep 22, 2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Added some quotes from the transcript

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 1:28 PM
Realtor

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 1:49 PM
Realtor

from today

Somewhat hard to make out but I noticed the building popping up from 76 the other day. With about 10 more floors to go, it will certainly be noticeable on the UC skyline.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 4:42 PM
Realtor

Not sure how many floors left. From today

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 7:19 PM

Quite contemporary looking for a dormitory; usually they look like low-income housing projects. Nice to see that one educational institution is committed to not following the archetypal mode for dorm design--looks good.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 4:40 PM
Realtor

Sorry for phone pic quality- From today- in the distance

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 7:51 PM
Resident Jackass

Thanks Lincoln!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 10:06 PM
BeenThere,DoneThat

I was by here Saturday. I have been watching it go up from across the river and wondering WTF. I am not crazy about the industrial skin they are planning, glass would be better.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 4:51 PM

Wow, lookin good - thanks for the updates.

Drexel is really tearing up the campus, for the better. From what i remember last time I was through the area, they bought up the space behind 7-11 and put in nice new tennis courts, had been getting the land ready along market & 34th for their rec center expansion and doing prep work for something (no idea what???) halfway down 33rd b/t market & chestnut on the east side.

Good for them - if only that college of media arts & design building weren't so hideous... i mean... its the ART & DESIGN building... yeesh.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanChris View Post
Wow, lookin good - thanks for the updates.

Drexel is really tearing up the campus, for the better. From what i remember last time I was through the area, they bought up the space behind 7-11 and put in nice new tennis courts, had been getting the land ready along market & 34th for their rec center expansion and doing prep work for something (no idea what???) halfway down 33rd b/t market & chestnut on the east side.

Good for them - if only that college of media arts & design building weren't so hideous... i mean... its the ART & DESIGN building... yeesh.
The construction going on at 33rd, between Chestnut and Market is for the new Integrated Science Building.

http://www.drexel.edu/coas/bioscienc...enderings.html

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 5:43 PM
The Doctor Is In

Welcome to the Space Olympics

Space Luge.

Is totally cancelled.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive