HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 9:09 PM

So guess no one has been listening considering they have been talking about this project being environmentally forward thinking since its inception...and now everyone is surprised? That was a huge selling point when this idea was fist being floated: that it would be world leading in innovation... So don't act surprised please NOW...you should have been paying attention from the start

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 9:36 PM
Change is good

there is being environmentally forward thinking, and there is going way overboard. Before we start going about designing a bunch of shit that going to get cut when the accountants see the cost, lets look at a more realistic approach.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 10:31 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortroad View Post
I think they are using the suction word liberally, I think the main idea of the suction is to have a negative pressure to reduce smell. I would guess they have augers and conveyors
If that's the case, I wonder what the cost of energy is for operating the belts and augers. To wit, a household only gets their garbage picked up once every week and once every two weeks during winter. Multi-residential bins are once every week with the appropriate size of bin. All of this is done by wheel.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 12:34 AM
Community Guy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
there is being environmentally forward thinking, and there is going way overboard. Before we start going about designing a bunch of shit that going to get cut when the accountants see the cost, lets look at a more realistic approach.
Ok, go on then mr. Expert consultant.

Also, we need to consider value, net cost and life cycle costing. Perhaps conventional accounting also needs innovation.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
100% disagree. We have an opportunity here to do something different, something innovative, something leading edge. This was always a goal for this redevelopment. We want this to incorporate ideas, concepts and applications that are as much about viability and practicality as they are about pushing the envelope. This is about what could or can be...

If you want traditional, go to griesbach.
As long as the cost of these things are covered by the community (and not through a revenue redirect away from city general revenues like tax increment financing) I am fine with all this.

Co-Gen heat and electricity is likely close in costs to traditional setups, Calgary built a similar thing in the east village in Calgary, but with natural gas. I could see the Royal Alex and NAIT eventually tieing into the larger airport lands heat system when their invidual heat plants require replacement.

Not having garbage trucks isn't just about garbage, it is about streets. Streets can be much smaller, as long as the fire department is willing to budge on road requirements.

None of the things are even very leading edge. Japan uses the vac system for garbage in some developments, co-gen heat and power is common in Scadinavia.

When the developers talked about carbon neutral, I was worried impractical, expensive solar panels were going to be mandated. As long as the agrihoods don't lead to 'towers in a park' it isn't too 'hippy', lots of people who like to garden keep houses just for that reason.

It will be interesting to see if this community can be built without outsized subsidy (since we know what new suburbs are costing the city, could apply that amount to the airport lands).

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 3:54 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
I wonder what the cost of energy is for operating the belts and augers.
Without prejudice to anything else I have ever said on the subject...

Garbage trucks at their best get about three miles per gallon. The short coming with systems like this is outside of institutional settings... people are fundamentally assholes and will toss anything from dead hookers to household appliances into these systems which tend get jammed along the way.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 1:45 PM
DRINK

Thats why I have a wood chipper handy.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Thats why I have a wood chipper handy.
and a blender...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 4:50 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...st-flight.html

Quote:
Scheduled flights end quietly at City Centre Airport
The last scheduled flight will leave the City Centre Airport on June 29.

Northern Air, which flies to Peace River, is moving to the Edmonton International Airport after it's licence expires at the end of the month.

"We're hopeful that our customer base will still follow us out there," said Rob King president of Northern Air, the only scheduled carrier left at the airport.

King supported the long-standing battle to save the airport, but said the fight is over.

"For those that are fighting that, it's an uphill battle," he said. "But nonetheless, they have fought and I don't know how successful they'll be. I wish them luck."

More than a half-dozen businesses will make the same move later this year, said Traci Bednard, spokesperson for Edmonton International Airport.

"We have the services and we do have the space available," she said. "These are still our tenants, they're business partners to us. So, we want to support their success."

Canadian Helicopters and STARS air ambulance will move later this year.

Still, other firms including charter airlines, airplane repair shops and hangars say they won't move until the downtown airport closes for good, which could be as early as 2014.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 9:12 PM

Airport backers lose latest court fight

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...746/story.html

EDMONTON - Envision Edmonton has lost another round in its fight to have its petition accepted for a plebiscite on closing the City Centre Airport.

In a decision released Wednesday, the Alberta Court of Appeal unanimously upheld a lower-court ruling last year that the petition was filed too late to force a public vote on the airport’s future

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 9:24 PM

"And now his failure is complete" - Darth Vader, on Charles Allard

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 9:51 PM

lol.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
lol.
Even Katz knew it was dead...that is why he invested at EIA. You would think the dimwits on life support would have figured that out. But most have tunnel vision...a real narrow tunnel. And they have been given PLENTY OF NOTICE to adjust to the change. Tax Payers owe them NOTHING that they can not win through the courts (sue us).

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 11:45 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

As for the article about the name in today's Journal I think I remember reading earlier today, either Wardfield (like Mayfield) or Blatchford Field/Park.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 2:00 AM
HVAC guru

I like the idea of naming the site with respect to its history, but Blatchford Park just sounds so.... blah.

I assume this is going to end up being the name of the area, in the same way all our other areas have been given names ?

I think Envision is running out of gas. Those businesses will get their fair compensation for the lease breakage, maybe a little more than they've already been offered but it's not a show-stopper by any means. I think though it's a little unfair to be essentially calling them stupid when all they're doing is trying to protect their business interests. No one here knows the intricacies of what the move to EIA or other locations entails for those companies

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 2:22 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I like the idea of naming the site with respect to its history, but Blatchford Park just sounds so.... blah.

I assume this is going to end up being the name of the area, in the same way all our other areas have been given names ?

I think Envision is running out of gas. Those businesses will get their fair compensation for the lease breakage, maybe a little more than they've already been offered but it's not a show-stopper by any means. I think though it's a little unfair to be essentially calling them stupid when all they're doing is trying to protect their business interests. No one here knows the intricacies of what the move to EIA or other locations entails for those companies
Except you rarely hear them discuss how it will impact THEIR business. They fabricate a narrative about how it is a hidden gem for all business in the city and of course the Stars issue. I could atleast respect them fighting for their business, infact I would probably be supporting them saying the city needs to offer them significant compensation....but after their dirty tricks....the only thing the city should be helping them with is buying plywood to board up their buildings.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 3:13 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Except you rarely hear them discuss how it will impact THEIR business. They fabricate a narrative about how it is a hidden gem for all business in the city and of course the Stars issue. I could atleast respect them fighting for their business, infact I would probably be supporting them saying the city needs to offer them significant compensation....but after their dirty tricks....the only thing the city should be helping them with is buying plywood to board up their buildings.
This. Exactly this.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 3:40 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Oh I agree Envision has been very disingenuous. But that is a separate issue from the individual businesses that need to relocate. Envision =/= CCA businesses.

Of course why let logic get in the way of a good ol' fashioned witch hunt !

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 9:27 PM

With all the arena talk, this kind of got overshadowed:

Quote:
Council gets first glimpse at City Centre Airport community
1:25pm
Scott Johnston
7/17/2012

Details are emerging on how the new thirty thousand resident community being built on the City Centre Airport lands will be self contained.

The community will have a park and a lake, not unlike Hawerlak. Earth will be moved to create a large hill that will be part amphitheatre, but really a wind shield to create a micro climate. Garbage will be picked up underground and compacted and used for bio energy. Pipes, several kilometers into the ground will bring geo thermal heat to the surface. One byproduct, they'll melt the snow.

"I love all the sustainability things, those are pretty exciting," said Mayor Stephen Mandel to reporters following the meeting.
http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1740357

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 10:50 PM

Linda Sloan voted against this (bottom of the CHED article). What a dim wit...who are the people that vote for her?? I mean really - do they know how she is a stumbling block to anything good that is happening in Edmonton?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton