HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 2:57 AM
It's Hammer Time

Airport officials demolish 447 Wing building for future expansion
By Kevin Werner/News Staff

News
Jul 13, 2010
http://www.hamiltonmountainnews.com/news/article/214966

Hamilton International Airport officials say they didn’t need a demolition permit to level a prospective Mount Hope heritage property at the end of May.

Frank Scremin, director of operators for Hamilton International, said since the facility is an airport, and has federal jurisdiction, it provides self-permits for any buildings that need to be removed, including the 447 Wing RCAFA building on Airport Road.

Under the city’s lease arrangement with Tradeport, which operators the facility on behalf of the city, Hamilton still owns the land, but any buildings located on the property are the responsibility of the airport. It allows the airport to issue its own building and demolition permits within the airport lands, officials say.

“We handle our own permit process,” said Scremin.

Scremin said the airport did talk to city building and licensing representatives about the proper procedure and determined that no demolition permit was needed for the building.

City building officials confirmed airport officials inquired about whether the airport needed a demolition permit, and no permit was issued.

“There seems to be shades of gray on the airport,” said John Lane, manager of building inspection and licensing.

Lane said a building inspector had been sent to the airport to review the process.

The concern over the 447 structure is relevant because it was being considered for heritage designation by the city.

The 447 Wing building had been abandoned by the veterans who used it after its lease expired with the airport a few years ago. The airport did not want to renew the lease because it had plans for the land. The veterans that used the building have relocated to a building in Mount Hope.

Hamilton’s Heritage Committee chair, Art French, a member of the Glanbrook Heritage Society, drove past Hamilton International Airport in early June and discovered the 447 Wing RCAFA building had been flattened.

Airport officials confirmed the facility is expanding a hanger and needed the land where the former building stood. Construction is expected to begin later this year, said Karen Medweth, director of marketing for the airport.

The building had been recommended by council to be included in the city’s municipal register of properties of cultural heritage value. The designation was expected to be completed by 2012.

French said while the designation does not prevent the owner of a cultural property from demolishing the building, any demolition permit application allows for a 60-day delay. The extended period allows people time to take photos of the building for historical records.

“This is the same situation as what happened to the Dynes Tavern,” said French. “They file an application, next day its down.”

He contacted airport officials and building staff and was told that the city did not issue a demolition permit, and that one was not required.

In 2007 the owner of the Dynes Tavern, a 160-year-old building, and a symbol of the Beach community, demolished it without a permit. The owner had applied for a demolition permit, but it was held up because of heritage concerns.

French said the delay to demolish the building gives people time to take photos and document the building before it comes down.

“It was under protection of the city,” said French.

Joe Muller, cultural heritage planner with Hamilton, said they were “pursuing the issue” with the building and licensing department.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 11:25 AM

I stumbled upon this interesting article the other day. Sounds like overseas flights may be coming back to YHM in the near future.

Quote:
New Peel Airports chief executive Craig Richmond opens talks on transatlantic routes for Liverpool JLA

Jul 7 2010 by Neil Hodgson, Liverpool Daily Post

IT COULD soon be possible to fly direct from Liverpool John Lennon Airport (JLA) to destinations around the Caribbean and the length and breadth of North and South America.

That is the hope of JLA’s new owner, Vancouver Airport Services (VAS).

The Canada-based airports group plans to use its existing network of 18 airports to develop new long-haul routes that will compete with services from Manchester.

The plans follow a deal last month that saw VAS acquire a 65% stake in Peel Airports, owner of JLA, for a reported £110.5m. Peel Airport’s newly installed chief executive Craig Richmond, who will be based at Liverpool, told LDP Business that talks to persuade airlines to provide services between JLA and VAS’s other airports have already started.

The former Canadian Air Force fighter pilot was previously president and chief executive of VAS’s Nassau airport in the Bahamas, which he sees as an ideal route from Liverpool.

He said: “We can offer something a bit unique to a carrier, where we actually have the airport at both ends.

"For example, we own Liverpool and we own Hamilton, in Ontario. There’s a great market for charter traffic to the UK from Ontario in Canada in the summer and a great market for UK traffic to go to Ontario.

“I haven’t had a chance to talk to my counterpart in Hamilton, who I used to work with in Vancouver, but we have already had preliminary talks with some carriers, and that’s an area where we are really hopeful might bear fruit.

“Unfortunately, it’s probably a little bit late for this year, those tickets have been sold, but it’s something we can work on for the coming year.”

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...2534-26799713/

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 11:37 AM

sounds great,the Liverpool area is a great place to visit.Keep me posted.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 6:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

Cuba flights from Hamilton
Hola Sun Holidays will begin running weekly flights from Hamilton to Cuba Dec. 2

THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR
http://www.thespec.com/living/travel...-from-hamilton

Hola Sun Holidays will begin running weekly flights from Hamilton to Cuba Dec. 22.

The flights to Holguin and Cayo Coco in Cuba will continue until April 21.

The flights are a partnership between Hola Sun and John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport.

Flights start on Dec. 22 and run through to April 21, departing each Wednesday.

Packages start from just $968 per person for a seven-night stay in the Christmas season and include direct flights and accommodation.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 8:51 PM

I do not see an airline listed. Hamilton is not on their web site yet. They are using CUBANA AIRLINES, CANJET and Air Transat. Here is the airports press release.

http://www.flyhi.ca/news-and-media/p...ional-airport/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 4:45 PM

Transat Holidays and Nolitours are using Canjet this winter out of Hamilton and Westjet Holidays is using their planes. I suspect that Hola will use Canjet.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 7:57 PM

Since we seem to only talk about the stadium and everything else seems to be stagnant, I thought I would throw out a couple of prediction out on Hamilton Airport while I was killing some time.
  • WestJet will announce more winter destinations for this winter. I am thinking it will be more Florida destinations.
  • There will be an announcement form Purolator and/or Kelowna Flight Craft about the airport. I use both names, as at time they seem to be one company at times. It will be an expansion of the hanger at the airport and the expansion of the sort facility there. Kelowna has added 5th DC-10 to their operations at Hamilton Airport for their Canada Post contract.
  • There will be another carrier for flights to Great Britain this summer. I am predicting Jet2.com as the airline.
  • Porter will be coming to Hamilton Airport with Ottawa, Montreal, Chicago & New York City in the spring.
Any thoughts? I know you all do!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 10:04 PM

I think your pretty bang out about the Kelowna flightcraft stuff.

I doubt any more westjet stuff will come if anything they will be gone total in the future (@*& holes) and it would be cool if you were right about jet2

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 1:12 AM
It's Hammer Time

Doubt Porter will ever come to YHM. Spoke to a rep from Porter one time and his face couldn't stay straight with "Hamilton" being mentioned.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 1:51 AM

I'm flying to Cuba from Hamilton in January. It'll be interesting to see the airport.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 6:33 PM

I really wish Delta, American or some other US carrier would run a few flights into the airport again so I could actually make use of it. I'd prefer a Star Alliance carrier, but they probably wouldn't want to annoy Air Canada.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 10:22 PM
It's Hammer Time

Good news for Hamilton and bad news for Toronto...

Toronto to lose critical medical evacuation helicopters

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../19/c3777.html

TORONTO, Oct. 19 /CNW/ - The CAW is expressing alarm at the decision by ORNGE to move the Toronto Island Medivac helicopters to the Hamilton International Airport, which will dramatically reduce service to Canada's largest city, the union says.

"The decision to cut the service from Toronto Island Airport means that an important access point to the large highly specialized hospitals downtown Toronto has been significantly changed," said CAW President Ken Lewenza, calling the move "frightening."

"The move of the base to Hamilton could add large amounts of time to the wait for critical care," said Lewenza. "If someone is so ill that they must be sent by Medivac to the hospital, they can certainly not afford to be stuck in a traffic jam.

"We're demanding that ORNGE take safety and the effort to secure life into consideration and immediately reverse this decision," said Lewenza.

The union learned of the change in services during a meeting with the company, but so far ORNGE has not made the decision public.

"Everyone in the Toronto area has seen the orange coloured helicopters flying overhead," said CAW Local 2002 President Leslie Dias. "These helicopters carry people who require high levels of medical care to hospitals in Toronto -hospitals like Sick Children's, St. Michael's and Sunnybrook to receive specialized medical care. There is no doubt that people will suffer as a result of this decision.

Our members provide critical care service to very sick patents in Ontario, this is the highest level of paramedical care in Canada," said Dias.

The 30 ORNGE workers at the Toronto Island Airport are represented by CAW Local 2002. The decision will mean that for the first time in over 30 years there will not be Medivac helicopters in the country's largest city.

The Toronto Island Airport helicopter base employs:

22 full-time Paramedics (ORNGE)

8 part-time Paramedics (ORNGE)

20 full-time Helicopter Pilots (Canadian Helicopters Ltd.)

15 Helicopter Maintenance Engineers (Canadian Helicopters Ltd)

Approximately 71 per cent of the flights out of Toronto Island airport are to locations north and east of Toronto.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 3:40 AM

How Toronto centred thinking. Those people who are taken to Toronto hospitals come from somewhere else. The air ambulances will most likely get there quicker from Hamilton to the scene of a problem and then to Toronto. And lately they seem to be in our area all the time.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 3:41 AM

Ornge you glad air ambulance is coming to Hamilton?Barbara Brown
October 19, 2010

The company that provides air ambulance service in southern Ontario is moving to John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport and pulling up stakes at Toronto Island Airport.

Ornge and its unusual spelling, carries about 20,000 patients annually and operates from bases across the province. Tuesday, Ornge announced the opening next year of a Transport Medicine Centre of Excellence in Hamilton.

Work is expected to begin within months to outfit an existing hangar at Hamilton’s airport for transport medicine.

Since Ornge assumed responsibility for air ambulance service in Ontario in 2006, the organization has been looking to expand, reorganize and become more efficient in order to meet an increasing demand for its services, said a company spokesperson.

Ornge will continue to operate from its current location at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport until the new site is completed. The company said employees were informed of the move last Friday, giving them at least six months’ notice of the relocation. Staffing levels will remain unchanged.

Richard Koroscil, president and CEO of John Munro Airport, said the relocation will mean 60 to 70 jobs coming to the city, including full-time and part-time paramedics, pilots of helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft and maintenance engineers.

“Hamilton’s airport gives them a lot more flexibility and also freedom,” said Koroscil, referring not just to more space, but less congestion in terms of airport traffic.

Koroscil said he’s encouraged to see another major tenant make the move from Toronto to Hamilton’s airport, which can offer tenants lower operating costs, complete airport infrastructure and “lots of capacity and capability to grow their business.”

He cited the recent example of DHL Express (Canada) Ltd., which last year moved its transborder air operations to John Munro, starting with five flights per week to Cincinnati, a major U.S. hub for DHL. Hamilton became the air service’s central Canadian distribution point.

Koroscil said Hamilton’s airport saw a 14 per cent increase in cargo business last year at a time when cargo business was shrinking at other airports.

The new facility will become the second Ornge Transport Medicine Centre of Excellence in Ontario. The first, which opened earlier this month in Thunder Bay, is equipped to handle all three types of medical transport: rotor wing, fixed wing and critical care land units, and also houses the Ornge Academy of Transport Medicine.

bbrown@thespec.com

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
"The move of the base to Hamilton could add large amounts of time to the wait for critical care," said Lewenza. "If someone is so ill that they must be sent by Medivac to the hospital, they can certainly not afford to be stuck in a traffic jam.
Is he aware that helicopters rarely have to wait in traffic?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I'd prefer a Star Alliance carrier,
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
but they probably wouldn't want to annoy Air Canada.
Well, with increasing code-sharing and the UA/CO merger might not make this a problem - but I suspect the real issue is more about BUF being so close by, and taxes being a fraction of what they are ex-Canada. Too bad, really :/

Wish AC would reinstate the Hamilton-Montreal service... I suspect that could attract a fair few customers that could get to YHM way more quickly/easily than YYZ... if they ramp up YUL as more of a hub alongside YYZ, that idea might have some traction. Not holding my breath, though :/

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
  • There will be another carrier for flights to Great Britain this summer. I am predicting Jet2.com as the airline.
Why Jet2? I don't think they do TATL services..

There's a new outfit starting up (http://www.canadaextra.com/) which might be interesting... I would love a half decent carrier to do a direct UK service from Hamilton. Although if AC restarted a feeder route to a hub (YUL, I guess) that'd still be better than dealing with YYZ!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 10:10 AM

Go get em Tiger!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good news, maybe for HI. Start putting out feelers and recruit.

Buttonville airport, which began as a grassy strip in 1963 and morphed into the largest privately owned airport in the country, will be replaced with a vast development billed as a town unto itself.

Condos, retail shops and office space built by real estate giant Cadillac Fairview will replace the floundering airport within the next five years. Officially announced Wednesday, the 170-acre piece of land it occupies in Markham was sold to developers Oct. 7 in a joint real estate venture.

“We are working together to maximize the property for the future,” said Derek Sifton, president of Toronto Airway Ltd., which owns the airport, adding that his company envisions an “innovative, mixed-use development” on the current airport lands.

For some, the deal is a huge opportunity, if done properly, to build up one of the largest tracts of undeveloped land in the GTA. For others, the news raises concerns about where 170,000 flights a year will go — especially corporate jets.

About a half-hour drive from the downtown core, and just east of Hwy 404, Buttonville is on prime land.

“In the area right now there are basically industrial parks and subdivisions,” said Robert Wright, a professor of urban design and planning with the University of Toronto.

Wright added the smart way forward should not be more big-box concept stores and subdivisions, but a development that is pedestrian friendly, incorporating green spaces, education opportunities, and with the latest environmentally friendly building technologies.

“We get one shot at these things and then they last for 50 to 75 years,” he said.

Heath Applebaum, a spokesman for Cadillac Fairview, said the vision for the land, which still has to be rezoned for commercial and residential purposes, is preliminary. “It will be several years before a shovel hits the ground,” he said.

The developer touted buzzwords like “high density,” “mixed use,” and “highest industry standards.”

Cadillac Fairview has $17 billion in assets and is wholly owned by the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan. The company owns 86 properties across North America; in Toronto, its holdings include the Toronto Eaton Centre and Maple Leaf Square.

Neither side would divulge the cost of the deal, but a year ago the undeveloped acreage was believed to be worth between $100 and $150 million.

“We believe this development will revitalize the neighborhood, attracting new business that will generate many new jobs in the community,” Applebaum said.

What springs up on the coveted land remains to be seen.

So does Buttonville’s next move.

Wednesday’s announcement comes 14 months after Sifton spoke of “the eventual demise and close of Buttonville.” An agreement with the Greater Toronto Airport Association that gave the airport $1.5 million a year to cover overflow from Pearson International was cancelled in April 2009.

Requests for financial support from both the federal and provincial governments did not come through.

“There is no secret the last couple years has been tough on all airports, but even more so when you are set up as we were and receive no additional support or incentive from the government” Sifton wrote in a letter to employees.

But, in an interview Wednesday, Sifton said this is not the end of his family business, which has operated Buttonville airport for almost half a century.

The company wants to relocate to the as-yet undeveloped — and highly contentious — Pickering airport lands.

Use of the Pickering Lands as a proposed second international airport in the GTA is an idea that’s been tossed around since the 70s but never materialized. It is still being reviewed by the federal government, which is studying whether existing airports can handle current air traffic capacity.

“Pearson is already too busy. You can only fly smaller planes into the island airport. There’s nowhere else for corporate jets to go,” said one charter pilot at Buttonville, Canada’s 10th busiest airport. The tiny strip also provides emergency services for nearby communities.

“It affects me quite a bit because I run this flight school at this airport and I don’t know where I will run it when the airport closes,” said Gabor Revesz, who runs the DancAir Flight School out of Buttonville. The airport, home to three flight schools, has also become important for recreational flyers as well.

Outside the Pickering opportunity, management has been in discussions with airport management teams at Peterborough and Barrie.

Any decisions are up in the air, so to speak.

With files from Patty Winsa

Buttonville facts

170,000 flights a year

Flying clubs that call Buttonville home

People the airport employs

Local aircrafts housed at Buttonville airport

Acres of land slated for development

The year the airport opened

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 2:40 AM
Hammer'd

Cool. 170 acres of big box awesomeness.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 10:27 AM

Matt the developers of Buttonville have more or less said that the redevelopment will not have a big box element as it is too valuable a property for that kind of development. Stranger things have happened, but this is Cadillac Fairview we're talking about, not Smart Centres. I don't think CF has even one big box in its portfolio, at least not in Ontario.

Last edited by markbarbera; Oct 29, 2010 at 11:33 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure