HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

30 Park Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 11:20 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2007/robert-...tive-manhattan

Robert A.M. Stern, A Conservative in Manhattan
Robert A.M. Stern, the well-initialled dean of the Yale School of Architecture, doesn’t apologize for his chauffeur’s room at 15 CPW, his suede loafers, his fondness for the past or his designing for George W. Bush.

by Max Abelson
October 23, 2007

Location: In 1999, The Times reported that you didn’t go south much from your Upper East Side apartment. You said, ‘Going downtown doesn’t fit into my schedule.’ When did that change?

Mr. Stern: Sometimes I say things and then I get in trouble with the press! Our offices have been on 34th Street since 1995, but I think I meant I didn’t tend to go downtown to restaurants.

Yet the developer Larry Silverstein just hired you to build the condo-hotel tower at 99 Church Street near Ground Zero. His architects usually design modern, glassy boxes. That’s not your style, so what will your 60 stories at Church look like?

[Office] buildings tend to be bulky. Let’s face it: They tend to look like a lot of Americans, who should slim down. … I have in mind to make a very classic, not classical or gothic, but classic tower that takes its place among the amazing towers of lower Manhattan’s skyline.

Last week, Mr. Silverstein’s daughter said, ‘I realized there are just no grand Park Avenue apartments downtown, and I’d like to create that.’ Is that what you’ll do?

I would compare it to certain uptown, Upper East Side places like the Sherry-Netherland or the Pierre.

Do you have, to use a Yale phrase, ‘anxiety of influence’?

Well, anxiety of influence, if you know that phrase, means that young poets, Harold Bloom said, would always try to camouflage as much as possible whom they were stealing from. Keeping in mind that T.S. Eliot said a bad poet borrows and a good poet steals, I go with T.S. Eliot. And I’ve gotten over the anxiety of influence.

Your new Fifteen Central Park West condo has done around $2 billion in sales, and Denzel Washington and Sting and one of the Google founders are reportedly buying there. Do you take pride in the fact that you build for the elite?

I take pride that we really got to the upper end of the market, absolutely! It’s not the only kind of architecture I undertake—at the same time we were doing Fifteen Central Park West, we were also working for the Robin Hood Foundation on the Excellence Charter School [in Bedford-Stuyvesant], which is an equally successful project.

Is Rosario Candela, the godhead of 1920’s high-end uptown design, overrated?

I think he was not the most brilliant designer of the builders; I sometimes think he is falsely credited with the exterior expression of the buildings, which he often worked with other architects in collaboration. But he was a genius at putting together intricate plans.

Is Fifteen Central Park West the best-designed building on Central Park West?

How can I answer that—of course it’s the best new building on Central Park West, in my opinion, and I think it’s as good as any of them.

Whose idea was Fifteen Central Park West’s private residents’ dining room, and chauffeur’s waiting room?

Will Zeckendorf takes an incredible—well they [developers Arthur and William Lie Zeckendorf] both do—incredible, detailed, obsessive interest.

So the chauffeur’s room wasn’t your idea. Did you ever think, ‘No!’?

No, I didn’t. … In a building like that, instead of having all the black-car drivers wandering around in the streets, which is a difficult area, they can park their cars and come in and sit down. I think it’s kind of humane and nice. Always, and this is the important part, the references were: ‘740 Park Avenue has something like this, 834 Fifth Avenue has …’ I’m talking about the amenities, so our building learned not only aesthetically but functionally from all the best buildings before. You might say, ‘Well, why would anyone move into Fifteen when they could move into, let’s say, 740 Park?’ Seven-forty’s a great building, but … [Buyers] want to be with their children in what you call a family room, and then they want a formal dining room also.

Do you have an apartment there?

No, I can’t afford that. I’m an architect—don’t be silly!

Big real estate developers like Related weren’t always patrons of architecture. Now designers like Jean Nouvel, Richard Meier and you are doing giant towers. Are developers lucky to have star architects, or are architects lucky to have these developers?

It’s a mutually beneficial world. There has been a significant sea change in the relationship between the development community and architecture. … People come to talk to me and say, ‘I’ve taken an apartment in the Jean Nouvel building.’ They don’t say ‘the Rudin building’ or ‘the Related building,’ they say ‘the Stern building’ or ‘the Meier building.’

At the Yale School of Architecture, where you’re the dean, do students enter dreaming real estate dreams? Talking about Trump more than Le Corbusier?

I wouldn’t say they’re talking more about Trump than Le Corbusier, but they’re talking about real estate and architecture. … Edward Bass—the Bass family, Yale donors—he gave us an endowment to bring developers into the advance studios, and that’s proven to be incredibly successful.

You’ve written five books on the city’s architectural history, up to New York 2000. What would the sixth look like?

It would be an amazing story, because for the first time in a long time, but not the first time ever, we would have great stuff to show, as opposed to some parts of New York 1960 or New York 2000 [that] are visually dreary.

You’re working for Related in its bid to develop the Hudson rail yards. Would you be designing the News Corporation headquarters that Related wants to build?

We’re working on residential parts. … Oh, my God, it’s an amazing project, it’s a defining project. Since Battery Park City there’s been nothing at this scale, and this scale vastly exceeds Battery Park City.

You’re also designing George W. Bush’s presidential library at Southern Methodist University. What was your meeting at the Crawford ranch like?

I’m very flattered to have been asked; it’s one of those defining jobs in an architect’s life, without question. George W. Bush is the twice-elected president of the United States of America—I’m not going to get to work for one of those again. We had a lovely lunch, and we chatted, and it was informal, and I’d met the president a couple times before … and he’s an amazing guy.

Does he have aesthetic taste and an appreciation for style and design?

I think he’s intensely interested in design, and Mrs. Bush very definitely has excellent taste, and in any case they have a fantastic house.

Do you think of yourself as conservative architecturally?

Yeah. I am a conservative. In that sense I suppose I’m an appropriate architect for W. Bush’s library. Forgetting politics, I do believe that architecture is a conversation across time. While every young architect and every young generation of architects thinks they have to break the mold, you cannot really create coherent cities, or campuses for that matter like Yale, if every building is the representative of its own unique moment and its own self-invented set of principles and language.

I notice you’re wearing suede loafers, which I find funny, because when you became the dean of Yale’s architecture school, the editor of Architecture Magazine called you …

‘Gucci-loafered party dean!’

No, it was ‘the suede-loafered sultan of suburban retrotecture.’ So you’re suburban, too rooted in the past and too conservative?

All those things, I am what I am, and I am what I do.

Do you wish you were 17 again and a badass revolutionary?

No, no! I was very revolutionary as a student, in the sense that I was a leading proponent of what’s called postmodernism. … Modernists thought they had triumphed above style, beyond style, and they had killed off the past forever, and that it was a closed door. My revolution was that the door was not closed.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 1:31 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Well, so long as it's the caliber of his Comcast Center in Philly...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 6:03 PM

I'm only seeing red x's....any chance these renderings can be reposted??

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 6:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekski99 View Post
I'm only seeing red x's....any chance these renderings can be reposted??
Those weren't his renderings. Nice though.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 3:14 PM
New Yorker for life

NOVEMBER 25, 2007

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 11:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 12:00 AM
World Machine

This should be moved to the NY section.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 8:28 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.cityrealty.com/new_develo...r?noteid=21682

Demolition proceeds at 99 Church Street

03-JAN-08

An official of Silverstein Properties told the financial district committee of Community Board 1 last night that it has finished "internal demolition" at the 11-story, 99 Church Street, which is just to the west of the Woolworth Building overlooking City Hall Park, and expects to complete "asbestos abatement" in the building this week and start "external demolition" next week.

The official, Richard McKinley, development manager for the project, told the committee that its three-stage approach was different from the delayed demolition that at 130 Liberty Street, which was damaged and "compromised" in the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. The 99 Church Street building was not "compromised" in the attacks, according to Mr. McKinley, and the controversial demolition at 130 Liberty Street was an "all-at-once" demolition rather than a "three-stage" one.

Mr. McKinley assured the committee that the developer will carefully heed noise regulations during construction, an issue of substantial concern to the board.

He said construction of the new tower will begin in June.

Silverstein Properties acquired the 11-story office building at 99 Church Street in November, 2006, with the California State Teachers' Retirement System (CalSTRS) from Moody's Corporation for $170 million and Moody's has relocated its corporate headquarters to Silverstein Properties' 7 World Trade Center nearby.

The new building at 99 Church Street will include residential condominiums and a "five-star" hotel and occupancy is anticipated for early 2011.

Silverstein Properties announced October 15, 2007 that it has selected Robert A. M. Stern to design its planned mixed-use tower at 99 Church Street between Barclay Street and Park Place.

Larry A. Silverstein, the president and CEO of Silverstein Properties, said then that he was "delighted to welcome Robert A. M. Stern Architects to the roster of world-class architects - David Childs, Lord Norman Foster, Fumihiko Maki and Lord Richard Rogers - who are working with us to transform the landscape downtown while at the same time honoring its rich architecture heritage." Mr. Silverstein is building major skyscrapers nearby at Ground Zero.

Mr. Stern is the Dean of the Yale School of Architecture, the co-author of a monumental five-volume series on the history of New York City architecture and the architect of numerous luxury residential high-rise buildings in Manhattan including the limestone-clad 15 Central Park West.

No renderings or details of Mr. Stern's design have been released yet, but Dara McQuillan, marketing and communications director for Silverstein Properties, said that the design should be ready in about a month.

Last August, a rendering by Costas Kondylis appeared on the WiredNewYork.com and Curbed.com websites of a skyscraper with a flared top at the Silverstein site, which is on the same block as the great Woolworth Building. Mr. McQuillan said that that rendering is not what is being planned.

The Moody's building was erected in 1951 and contained about 300,000 square feet of office space.

curbed.com

Stern Readying Replacement as 99 Church Street Falls

The old 11-story Moody's building at 99 Church Street used to look like that, but now it looks like that. The funeral shroud is up because WTC developer Larry Silverstein is knocking the building down and replacing it with a Robert A.M. Stern-designed 60-story hotel/condo tower. We still say it should be replaced with this, but whatevs. CityRealty has an update on the process, and apparently internal demolition of the building is complete. Asbestos abatement is going on this week, and next week the structure should start coming down. Fun, but when do we get to see the fresh goods? Well, according to a Silverstein mouthpiece, Stern's design will be ready in about a month. Will the 15 Central Park West magic extend downtown? TBD!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 9:07 PM
World Machine

Not too far away then until we see some construction.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 9:13 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Ha, I like the flagpoles sticking out. As if they couldn't remove them when they put up the screening.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 10:53 PM
Urban Explorer

Are there renderings for this tower? Everything that people posted in previous pages (say that 3 times fast) seems to not be showing up.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 11:10 PM
World Machine

It would of been nice if they could have incorporated the design of the tower with the building (like what happened with Hearst).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 12:44 AM

Nice old building, was never an eyesore, but its time has come. It had a good run, but I ain't sad to see this one go, nor am I sad about losing the back view of Woolworth (which, in my opinion, has always looked awkward standing on its own).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 8:59 AM

Fix the title please. 99 Church Street will have at least 68 hotel/condo floors, and maybe over 70 floors in total. This information was put up several months ago at lowermanhattan.info.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 12:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
Are there renderings for this tower? Everything that people posted in previous pages (say that 3 times fast) seems to not be showing up.
From the article:

Quote:
No renderings or details of Mr. Stern's design have been released yet, but Dara McQuillan, marketing and communications director for Silverstein Properties, said that the design should be ready in about a month.
Also:

Quote:
An official of Silverstein Properties told the financial district committee of Community Board 1 last night that it has finished "internal demolition" at the 11-story, 99 Church Street, and expects to complete "asbestos abatement" in the building this week and start "external demolition" next week.

...construction of the new tower will begin in June.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 11:30 PM
Frigidus Maximus

downtownexpress.com

Jan. 11 - 17, 2008

Mixed Use

By Patrick Hedlund

Smooth demo

Demolition began this week on the 50-year-old building at 99 Church St., where developer Larry Silverstein will begin construction on a luxury hotel-condo this summer, representatives from Silverstein Properties reported last week.

Following the end of asbestos abatement last Friday, Silverstein vice president of operations Bill Dacunto said crews began external deconstruction at the 11-story, non-landmarked property this week as the final phase of the demolition process a block from the World Trade Center site.

“Anyone who lives and works Downtown, you’ve heard the horror stories about the other two nightmare demo jobs that are going on,” said Dara McQuillan, Silverstein’s spokesperson, referring to the haunted former Deutsche Bank building and Fiterman Hall across from the W.T.C. McQuillan assured receptive Community Board 1 members last week that they won’t have to pray about Church.

He did not comment on the size of the new project at the site, which he confirmed would be designed by Bob Stern with construction to begin in June of this year.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 1:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
“Anyone who lives and works Downtown, you’ve heard the horror stories about the other two nightmare demo jobs that are going on,” said Dara McQuillan, Silverstein’s spokesperson, referring to the haunted former Deutsche Bank building and Fiterman Hall
Haunted? Not the best choice in words.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 7:47 PM
low-riding

Wait, what ever happened to those renders that came out months ago? Not valid? old proposal?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 10:12 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
Wait, what ever happened to those renders that came out months ago? Not valid? old proposal?
Invalid. We should see a design sometime next month:

Quote:

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 5:45 PM

^ Forget next month, how about next Tuesday?

From curbed:

Quote:
Stern's Church Riseth —At a Downtown Alliance breakfast on Tuesday, developer Larry Silverstein will unveil starchitect Robert A.M. Stern's design for the planned 60-story condo-hotel project at 99 Church Street in Lower Manhattan. Before phoning in a favor with the Downtown Alliance to snag an invite, please note that the breakfast will be webcast live. Still, what fun is a new Stern design without the accompanying runny eggs and rock-hard pancakes?
...and from the NY Observer:

Quote:
Silverstein to Unveil Stern's 99 Church Design
by Tom Acitelli | January 25, 2008

Larry Silverstein.

We got an email from Silverstein Properties early this morning. Developer Larry Silverstein will unveil this coming Tuesday Robert A.M. Stern's design for the condo-hotel project at 99 Church Street in Lower Manhattan. The unveiling will come as part of a breakfast presentation hosted by the Alliance for Downtown New York.

The Church Street project will rise 66 stories and include 175 luxury hotel rooms and 143 condos. Mr. Silverstein is also expected at the breakfast to give an update of the World Trade Center rebuilding.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive