HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
personally, i dont trust multinational corporations....they will pull the plug in a heartbeat given a better opportunity....its happened here in winnipeg many times.

smaller markets have a difficult time competing no matter how good the economy is....there is way less security being a subsidiary than a true head office.

do you really believe they will run their NA operations from regina forever?....as soon as they get a foothold in the US that market will be split off....or the NA operations will be run form there instead.
Our premier basicly said as much in the media - companies promise the moon and we have no way of holding them to it a few years down the road.
Oddly, I think we have a better chance of retaining a subsidiary than a headquarters. We lose our headquarters because the people living here make the decisions and make the big cash but can't find enough ways to spend it here so they move (they are humans after all). Thats basically what happened with Bill Doyle at PCS and Mayo with Viterra. Imagine making an ungodly amount of money and the closest Bentley dealer being 1000km+ away - horror!
But if you are a managing director at a subsidiary - you can't up and move the office - you have to beg and threaten to quit and hope they don't call your bluff.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 2:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptBo36UWX2E
one of the funniest things i've heard in while..

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 4:09 PM

Best places for jobs Canada

http://money.ca.msn.com/savings-debt...laces-for-jobs

i dont think jobs wil be leaving the province anytime soon. many more to come. Dont be surprised if it includes head office jobs.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 10:51 PM
I am a typical

If mining in Manitoba is anything like mining in Northern Ontario, Wabowden will be the next Winkler.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 11:32 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
If mining in Manitoba is anything like mining in Northern Ontario, Wabowden will be the next Winkler.
most of the people the people that work at the mine are from outa province damn near impossible to find reliable local workers and none of the locals want to work ot that are working there

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 4:54 AM

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...088/story.html

Western potash one step close to developing its milestone project near regina.

One thing that i still find odd is that they say this mine is 35km south east of regina, which is near kronua. Then there is this document form sk gov website talking about vale potash's proposed mine near kronua 35km out. That just seems way to close for two multiy billion dollar projects, to be right beside each other?

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/ea2011-043

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 1:20 PM

[QUOTE=Dougler306;5653427]http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...088/story.html

Western potash one step close to developing its milestone project near regina.

One thing that i still find odd is that they say this mine is 35km south east of regina, which is near kronua. Then there is this document form sk gov website talking about vale potash's proposed mine near kronua 35km out. That just seems way to close for two multiy billion dollar projects, to be right beside each other?

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/ea2011-043[/QUOTE

both Rio Tinto at Sedley and Western Potash at Lajord are adjacent to Vale. There is no reason the can't be beside each other as it allows them to share infrastructure such as rail, roads, power, gas and water.

Last edited by Stormer; Apr 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 1:28 PM

K+S is way further along than Western. Construction starts in June!

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...370/story.html

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:36 AM
I am a typical

1ajs spent most of the day "pushing muck with a lance".

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:37 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

a 8 foot one at that... down a grizly into a crusher 12 hrs of it so tired

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:40 AM
I am a typical

Mining is such a manly profession. I spent 8 hours today printing labels for a Chinese restaurant, with a 30 minute break in the afternoon to design a Yellowpages advertisement.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:40 AM

Pure speculation on my part but I believe western has no intentions of mining one tonne of potash. Rio Tinto and Vale have the technical expertise and the capital to actually do a mine - Western has neither. I believe they are trying to build value on paper with the ultimate goal of being bought out by someone with the means to do the job. You don't have to dig a hole to make money - which is the goal.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 1:57 AM

Regina outpaces the rest of the country

Just came across this article in the Globe & Mail online today....nice to see Regina get some national recognition for posting great economic #s in 2011:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle2393672/

by Paul Waldie
Globe & Mail
April 5, 2012

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 5:32 PM

Sask. construction activity up 16% in Feb.

Leader-Post staff April 9, 2012

nice picture of the dtown core

Read more: http://www.leaderpost.com/business/S...#ixzz1reyVJvRB

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:57 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

:
got mine in the mail today...just ordered two more for when i ruin the first one in the laundry.

it is a beauty.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:42 PM

Katepwa Lake 'acceptable' water source for Vale proposal
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:00 PM

A quiet stretch of farmland just east of Regina could soon be a hub of industrial activity.

Vale Potash Canada Limited is exploring the option of building a new solution mine between Kronau and White City.

“Potentially there will be 300 operators to operate the project,” said Vale Project Manager Will Longworth. “It’s going to take peak workforce of 2,000 people to construct the project.”

It’s the type of development that local politicians work very hard to attract, and it’s a project the RM of Edenwold feels can be a financial anchor for years to come.

“It’ll mean development, it’ll mean jobs, it’ll mean economic progress,” said Reeve Mitch Huber. “We feel as a council if we can do it right we’ll all prosper and it should be good for the area.”

Before the project can move forward, it needs to meet environmental requirements. The company is in the process of an environmental impact assessment, gathering baseline data.

“You have a scope of the project, how you want to develop the project,” said Longworth. “Then you look at all the potential environmental effects and demonstrate how you’re going to manage those.”

The biggest concern is the amount of water required to operate the mine. Vale says it’s preferred source is Katepwa Lake, an option a soon to be released report from the Saskatchewan Watershed Authority says could be sustainable.

“With supplementation from Lake Diefenbaker, there will be only minor impacts on hydrology,” said Dale Hjertaas, Executive Director of Policy and Communications with the Watershed Authority. “It looks like it would be acceptable to take water from Katepwa Lake.”

The company will still need to conduct a number of community consultations to learn what concerns surrounding communities have, a process Longworth says Vale is committed to.

"We want to operate sustainably, and obviously that involves buy-in from the community. This project is only going to be successful if we have that community support.”

Longworth says if all the concerns can be addressed, the company intends to make a final decision on the project by late 2013.

© Shaw Media Inc., 2012. All rights reserved.

Read it on Global News: Global Regina | Katepwa Lake 'acceptable' water source for Vale proposal

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:55 PM

this is potentially a $3-4 billion dollar project.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 8:07 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
got mine in the mail today...just ordered two more for when i ruin the first one in the laundry.

it is a beauty.
Just an FYI, use promo code "PW30" to get 30% off your order...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 8:09 PM
surely you agree with me

BAH! ^

typical engineer...they dont tell you critical pieces of information until there is nothing you can do about it except put a plant in front of your exposed cross bracing.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 8:34 PM
the first stamp is free

^ yeah, I guess that was a bit late. Although in my defense I just ordered a t-shirt from there after seeing your post above, and when it came time to checkout, I googled for promo codes and that one came up, and surprisingly it worked.

Oh, and hide that cross bracing inside the wall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan