HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 7, 2006, 3:11 PM
Me?!?

Steelton needs this so, so bad...

STEELTON

Officials to reveal plan to make Front Street a hub

Friday, April 07, 2006
BY DIANA FISHLOCK
Of The Patriot-News

Steelton officials today will unveil an ambitious, comprehensive plan for revitalizing its downtown and bringing new life, jobs and money to the borough.

The plan, called "The New Steelton," is intended to attract developers and businesses along Front Street from Trewick to Locust streets. The goal is to create a vibrant, pedestrian-friendly downtown of residences, stores, restaurants and office buildings.

"I want to imagine that when you come to Steelton, you won't recognize it," said Borough Council President Michael Kovach. "This is big time for us."

The 10-year, $8 million plan also includes housing developments and a public plaza, aiming to bring millions of dollars in investments and make Front Street the borough's hub. Some renovation and construction is scheduled to begin this spring.

Officials hope an eight-acre business park along the west side of Front Street will bring more than 500 jobs. They expect 19 buildings to be available for renovation.

"The borough has invested already $20 million by purchasing land, improving parks, improving sewer systems," said Mayor Thomas Acri. "Now we're going to replace water lines on Front Street to get ready for businesses going in."

Steelton, once bustling when the steel mill thrived on Front Street, has struggled as the steel industry faded.

A team comprised of borough officials, engineers and real estate developers looks to transform the downtown, envisioning continuity in the architecture, design, color and landscaping.

The team presented the plan to a group of about 100 developers, lenders and Realtors yesterday and planned to hold a news conference at borough hall this morning to reveal the plan to the public.

One of the developers involved with the project is Thomas Powers, who helped develop the TecPort Business Center in Swatara Twp. Powers opened the real estate development company Powers & Associates in Harrisburg last year. His firm focuses on rehabilitating blighted and underutilized urban areas.

"I see a lot of potential in Steelton. It's right in the middle of a thriving region all around it," said David Black, president and CEO of the Harrisburg Regional Chamber.

Steelton is near the resurgent Harrisburg, the Cameron Street corridor, Harrisburg International Airport and rapidly growing Swatara Twp., Black said.

"It's strategically located and obviously we're running out of other open space to develop, so people are looking to invest in traditional downtown," he said.

"I don't think we'll see large office buildings like we do in downtown Harrisburg," Black said. But, he added, "I think we'll see real possibilities in Steelton."

Borough officials have been getting $2.6 million in public funds, making plans and working to revitalize the borough bit by bit since George Hartwick was mayor in 1998, said Michael Musser II, borough secretary. Hartwick is now a Dauphin County Commissioner.

Borough officials will work with developers to help them through the process, including securing state grants and low-interest loans, Musser said.

Instead of getting hamstrung over permits and regulations, Steelton officials want to help developers, Kovach said.

"We put together a new department that is going to fast-track any agency that comes in here, whatever they need to get the job done," he said. "Instead of waiting months for meetings, we're going to expedite them. We will hold extra meetings, helping with zoning, water hookups; we're there to support the developers' needs and cut out all the red tape."

Plans are in place to resurface Front Street and install curbs and street lights, Kovach said.

"All we need is private investment to step in," he said. "With state, county and federal government, we'll make this dream come true."

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 5:31 PM
Me?!?

My only beef is this is a 10-year plan; I'd like to see it move a little quicker...

Locals hope Steelton will get on a roll

Saturday, April 08, 2006
BY DIANA FISHLOCK
Of The Patriot-News

Robert Weidner can relate to Steelton.

The borough is trying to rebuild itself, to bounce back to its former glory, trying to turn empty storefronts into bustling businesses.

Weidner and his partner, George Bailey, came to Steelton to start their firm, IEQ Engineering, three years ago. As their business has grown from two people to eight, they've seen the borough improve, they said.

"We're trying to do the same thing. George and I are trying to build and get going in the community," Weidner said yesterday.

He and Bailey said they feel hopeful and excited about plans borough officials unveiled yesterday to update and improve its downtown.

The officials said they hope to entice private developers to invest in Steelton and build an 8-acre business park, creating 500 jobs and building demand for restaurants and shops. Their $8 million, 10-year plan -- dubbed "The New Steelton" -- calls for making Front Street the borough's hub.

The plan includes beautification: new trees, a grand plaza, street lights, benches and bus shelters in a pedestrian-friendly area of shops, offices and residences.

Steelton officials have secured grants for projects to improve the borough over the past several years, and are counting on private investment and developers to follow.

Down the street from borough hall, Bailey and his employees have noticed a gradual improvement in the borough, he said.

When they started on Front Street three years ago, they found a mix of tattoo parlors and empty stores, he said. Now there's a wedding and doll business next door, a fried chicken restaurant nearby and another restaurant opening across Front Street.

Borough officials said they hope the slow upgrade will become a building boom, as enthusiasm and momentum take hold and developers snatch up demolished lots and buildings that can be renovated.

At Roller's Pizza & Subs on Front Street, Jeff Varner, 20, stopped in for lunch.

Varner, who is majoring in business management at Harrisburg Area Community College, said he would like to see a gym and a sporting goods store, along with more businesses and restaurants.

"Right now there's not a lot going on in Steelton. When you drive through, there's not a lot that stands out," Varner said.

The plan for Steelton's revival is great, said Roller's Pizza owner Jose Chacon. "It would mean a lot more business. Right now this town has so many vacancies as far as businesses," he said.

He envisions downtown offices and a steel museum.

Up the hill on Swatara Street, Harold Decker was fixing a door on the home where he was born. These days, he rents it out, along with other properties. He has lived in Steelton for all his 73 years, he said, and he'd like to see it thrive again.

He'd like to see fast-food restaurants, a grocery store and no empty houses, he said. "It wouldn't hurt to have a nice, sit-down restaurant, one that's not really high class, but middle class, where you could take your family," he said.

Bailey's stepdaughter and office manager, Nichole Wazelle, said businesses coming in probably will catch Steelton's small-town charm, just as their company did. Friendliness and customer service are big in Steelton, she said. People at the post office know her by name and local restaurants ask how she is doing, Wazelle said.

She sees many people driving through Steelton on their way to Middletown or Harrisburg. If the borough spruced up, people would stop to look around more, she said.

"We wanted to come to Steelton," she said. "We're anxious that it gets off the ground."

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 11:28 PM
joining the rail club

^ steelton definately needs this. i'm glad to see the borough finally turning a corner. everytime i've been through the town, i thought it needed a facelift.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2006, 2:10 AM
Me?!?

My g/f and I went to an Imax movie at the Whitaker Center this evening, and I must give (even more) props to DT HBG for all that it has to offer for a place its size. The first showing was sold out so we had to purchase tickets for the next showing. We arrived super early and watched as the theatre filled to capacity for ANOTHER sold out show! The next showing, yep you guessed it, SOLD OUT!!! While that was going on they were holding a murder/mystery dinner in the performance theatre....

There was an art showing a block away and an event at the Capitol, people everywhere even though the weather was awful...keep up the good work, Harrisburg!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2006, 3:42 AM
Me?!?

I HIGHLY suggest you take a look at this narrative about HBG's nightlife/downtown:

http://floor-9.com/wp/2006/04/09/dow...sburg/#more-88

When you are done poke around the site a little bit to see what else it has to offer!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2006, 1:12 PM
Me?!?

Can you believe those idiots were just throwing this stuff away?!?

City finds home for 260 years of history

Documents from trash preserved as treasures

Monday, April 10, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed has spent millions in public dollars acquiring historical artifacts.

He's built a museum to the Civil War and proposed one to the Wild West, attracting attention and controversy.

But Reed's biggest contribution to city history might be what he rescued from the trash -- and plans to fashion into a public archives.

It was six months into Reed's first term in the early 1980s, and city government was moving from the old city hall, now an apartment building on Walnut Street, to the current City Government Center on Market Square.

Instead of packing up and shipping all those dusty old city records and log books, some dating to the 1700s, workers were merely throwing them away, until Reed caught sight of this from his office window.

The freshly minted mayor did everything short of Dumpster-diving to save the historical records.

"There were all these old records from the basement," Reed recalled. "It was all the old stuff from when we were a borough in 1791. I took one look at it and said, 'We are not throwing this stuff away.'"

With that gut reaction, Reed started what would become the Harrisburg archives, a vast, growing collection of documents and artifacts.

City officials and American Studies interns from Penn State Harrisburg have been combing the collection, preparing it for public display, perhaps later this year.

The collection, insured for millions, is kept at a location that city officials, citing security reasons, do not want disclosed until the archives are opened to the public.

There are numerous personal letters and pieces of business correspondence. Box after box of old photos, political buttons, books and scrapbooks. And volume after volume of city records detailing crimes, deaths, property transfers, tax assessments and a raft of local ordinances and resolutions.

"This is a gold mine, a treasure trove," Michael Barton, American studies professor at Penn State Harrisburg and an author of books on city history, said of the collection. "It is very important to Harrisburg and to researchers. It's absolutely incredible when you think a lot of this was in a Dumpster."

Barton said the value of a complete set of city records -- some dating to 1740, when Harrisburg was laid out, but most from the 1800s -- is the ability to glimpse history's impact on people's lives in a more personal way.

Among the trends Barton and his students are eager to track are race and class relations, including Harrisburg's role in the Underground Railroad; urbanization and modernization; and health scares, such as the 1918 influenza epidemic that claimed more than 400 lives in Harrisburg.

For genealogy buffs, there are shelves full of birth and obstetrics logs, Barton added.

Barton is most interested in records from Harrisburg's old Eighth Ward, a hard-scrabble immigrant section once located behind the state Capitol but razed to make room for expansion of the Capitol complex in the early 1900s.

"It was supposed to be the rowdiest place in the state, aside from Philadelphia," said Barton, who has written one book on the neighborhood and its demise.

All those documents and records must be painstakingly organized, read and cataloged.

For two years, a rotating group of more than a half-dozen American studies students from Penn State Harrisburg has been assembling Harrisburg's history in a nondescript, no-frills storage room.

Michele Garcia has been at it the longest, spending much of the past year on the project and planning to continue her work as a graduate student.

She said she is so familiar with long-dead city clerks that she can recognize their penmanship.

Garcia's long hours have paid off academically. The detailed information on Harrisburg's race relations at the time of the Underground Railroad formed the foundation for a paper on the city's registration and tracking requirements for minorities.

She focused on the so-called Free Persons of Color Ordinance, which was on Harrisburg's books from 1821 to 1831. It ordered blacks to register with the city as a means of tracking them and was similar to laws in other towns, including Lancaster.

But Garcia found that Harrisburg did little in the way of enforcement and was gaining a reputation as a receptive place for blacks migrating from Maryland and other parts of the South.

The cataloging will culminate in public access to the city archives, including a staffed reading and research room.

"There are very few cities with an archives," said Susan Hartman, a local government adviser with the state archives. "Other than Philadelphia, I can't think of another city that has one."

And Harrisburg's collection goes beyond the documents.

Using nontax city funds, Reed has amassed an extensive array of artifacts. The items include American Indian artifacts and personal items from U.S. presidents, including Teddy Roosevelt, Dwight D. Eisenhower and Lyndon B. Johnson.

Other pieces are closer to home, including a cigar table and mold from the Broad Street Market; beer kegs from Graupner's Brewery; and more recent mementos, such as the hard hat that Reed wore at the 1995 groundbreaking for the Penn National Insurance tower.

City spokesman Randy King said the Penn State interns plan to finish cataloging the paper documents before turning to the artifacts.

"There's still a lot of work to do," he said.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2006, 11:46 PM
joining the rail club

^ that's incredible...i can't believe these idiots were going to just throw this stuff away. mad props to Reed for saving them and for encouraging the city to local univ. students to catalog this stuff and hopefully set up a city archives.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 1:18 AM

The more I hear about Reed, the more I like him.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 1:35 PM
Me?!?

Well now comes the moment of truth and let's see if the as*holes in the fed. gov't decide to destroy some of Harrisburg's history (the choice in bold, which is getting a huge protest thankfully). PLEASE go to the meeting and/or site and let your opinion known!

U.S. completes draft on courthouse project

Tuesday, April 11, 2006
BY REGGIE SHEFFIELD
Of The Patriot-News

The U.S. General Services Administration has completed a draft of an environmental study on three sites under consideration for a federal courthouse in Harrisburg.

The draft is necessary for the project to proceed. The study points out some pros and cons but reaches no conclusions.

The GSA will hold a public hearing on the federal courthouse project from 6 to 8 p.m. April 18 at the Benjamin Franklin Elementary School at 1205 N. Sixth St., Harrisburg.

The courthouse would replace the Ronald Reagan Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse on Walnut Street, which was built in 1966.

Sites for the new courthouse under consideration include:

-A 6.4-acre site at Sixth and Basin streets, occupied by the two Jackson-Lick Apartment towers and the Jackson-Lick municipal swimming pool.

-A 6-acre site at Sixth and Verbeke streets that includes the Cumberland Court Apartments and the Quaker Meeting House.

-A 3.6-acre site at Third and Forster streets that includes 40 homes and businesses.

REGGIE SHEFFIELD: 255-8170 or rsheffield@patriot-news.com

ON THE WEB

The draft report on the sites being considered for the federal courthouse is at http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/con...asic.jsp&P=3PB

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 1:43 PM
Me?!?

Harrisburg's "Jungle", no doubt about it...

Hall Manor crime breeds despair, determination

Project residents face daily life of violence

Tuesday, April 11, 2006
BY TOM BOWMAN
Of The Patriot-News

Even a streetwise resident such as Nelson -- who grew up on Chicago's North Side -- worries about crime in Hall Manor.

"It's bad here at nighttime," said Nelson, who moved from northern New Jersey. "You don't want to be out at night."

Hall Manor, the city's largest public housing project, at South 17th and Hanover streets, has been the scene of numerous crimes. Residents of its 540 apartments -- in 54 buildings spread over 43 acres -- report gunshots, drug dealing and scare tactics as routine occurrences.

One October day in 2004, in daylight, a shooter fired six times, killing the driver of a car and wounding his two passengers. With the driver slumped over the wheel, the car slammed into a school bus. Twenty crying and confused children climbed out of the back door of the bus.

Last month, at 9 on a Wednesday night, Alfred Pierce, 35, was fatally shot in the stomach between rows 40 and 41. Police said Pierce and the man who killed him were heroin dealers.

A memorial marks the spot where Pierce was shot. But Cassandra Hunter, 19, who lived in Row 40 with her 7-month-old son, Shamell, doesn't need a memorial to remember the shooting.

"Ever since the bullet went through my window, I haven't been back there since," Hunter said.

Hunter left home minutes before Pierce was shot. When she returned, she found a .45 caliber bullet in her apartment. Since that night, she has stayed with her mother across town, afraid to return home.

Fearing for her safety and that of her son, Hunter asked the Harrisburg Housing Authority to move her to another of its seven housing projects. All the agency could offer was a move to Row 53 in Hall Manor.

"It's a little better," Hunter said. "I'm upset because I couldn't move any place else. But it's the best I can take because there's nothing else they can give me."

Some say things were better and safer when Hall Manor had a police substation. The five city police officers assigned to the substation made drug arrests, ticketed cars and had vehicles towed.

"That worked very, very well," said Dena Dupert, the housing authority's director of housing.

For several years, federal money was available for the substation and a drug-elimination program. Five years ago, that money was cut off and the substation closed, Dupert said.

Police Chief Charles Kellar said he wants to reopen the Hall Manor station.

"It was better when we had a constant presence down there," Kellar said. "That was a definite help. We've noticed a definite difference since we don't have that."

Kellar plans to ask the housing authority to help pay for the substation.

"I'm going to be working on that in the next month or so, try to get funding for that," Kellar said.

Low incomes, high crime:

Poverty and unemployment are almost as rampant in Hall Manor as drug sales.

To be eligible for public housing, a family of three can earn no more than $37,750 a year. The average household income in Hall Manor is $9,244, substantially lower than the $26,920 average in Harrisburg. The average family size at Hall Manor is three people.

The $9,244 is well below the federal poverty level of $16,090 for a family of three.

Hall Manor's unemployment rate was a whopping 83 percent last year and 75 percent in 2004, compared with 3.6 percent in the Carlisle-Harrisburg-Lebanon region.

Harrisburg police did not supply statistics on Hall Manor crime, so it could not be compared with crime in the rest of the city. But an anecdotal look at crime in the project shows that drug sales, specifically heroin sales, are routine.

Federal authorities indicted 29 people in August on heroin and criminal conspiracy charges after a raid at Hall Manor. Among them was Richard Soto, a community activist and founder of the Just 4 The Kidz Outreach Center that he ran from a city-owned building on North 18th Street near his Hall Manor home.

When police made the arrests in August, they said, they found about $1,000 worth of heroin packaged for sale in a desk at the outreach center, which was boarded up after the raid.

The Rev. R. Mim Harvey, founder of the Stop The Violence Help Center, 1678 S. Cameron St., said that when she drove a friend to Hall Manor to pick up belongings, a young man tried to sell her drugs.

"The young kid walked right up to my car with the drugs in his hand, mumbled something," Harvey said. "He didn't know me. I said, 'Get away from my car.'"

To change the drug culture and lessen crime, residents will have to get involved, Harvey and others say.

"Even though those people there are afraid, somebody still is going to have to step up to the plate and say, 'Yes, they're out here on my corner where my children play,' and they are going to have to call the cops," Harvey said.

Nelson, who moved here several months ago and refused to give his last name, said he has called police several times.

"The cops are good here. You call them and they come," he said. "At 3 o'clock in the morning I see them drive through. I'm good with that."

Harvey said she wants to set up a crime watch in Hall Manor.

"I know that is unheard of in a project, but we are going to have to do that even if they have a number to call and they don't give their name," Harvey said.

Mike Consiglio, a Dauphin County drug crimes prosecutor, said he would like to see the open-air drug trade in Hall Manor closed down so that addicts would be forced to go inside houses to buy drugs.

Open-air drug markets are a "public blight," Consiglio said, adding that they breed violence and a perception that dealing drugs is normal and permissible.

By watching drug dealers on the street, young people learn the drug trade, Consiglio said. Many times, they know more about selling drugs than about holding a legal job, he added.

"Some of these guys understand the rules and etiquette of selling drugs and dealing with police," Consiglio said. "But they don't understand the etiquette of working at a fast-food place, that you have to show up for work on time, that you have to wash your hands."

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 1:49 PM
Me?!?

A sign that DT has turned a corner for sure. RIP adult bookstore!

Building that housed adult bookstore goes on market

Tuesday, April 11, 2006
BY DAVID DeKOK
Of The Patriot-News

A Harrisburg landmark -- of a sort -- has closed, and the building that housed it is for sale or lease.

Rural Book and News Center, which was about as rural as the Statue of Liberty, offered "adult and popular magazines, novelties and videos," according to the sign on the building at 315 Market St. It was the last of around a half-dozen adult bookstores and theaters that were in downtown Harrisburg a quarter-century ago.

The store opened on July 30, 1981, and closed in late 2004, although no one interviewed for this story was certain of the exact date. With its blackened windows, it was difficult to tell while walking by whether the store was open.

Over the years, the store was in the news for both armed robberies and vice arrests.

In 1991, then-Attorney General Ernie Preate Jr., who could probably see the store's neon sign from his offices in Strawberry Square, obtained a court order to shut it down as a public health nuisance.

Preate's complaint identified the president of the business as C.B. DeBoer of Cleveland.

State corporation records show the current president of the business to be John Bordone of 1202 Arch St., Philadelphia. No phone number was available for that address.

Bordone's name surfaces in an appeal heard in 1996 by the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on federal charges against Cleveland lawyer Jerry B. Kraig. Kraig had been convicted of helping to conceal the assets of Reuben Sturman, who owned a chain of adult bookstores.

Sturman, of Cleveland, was convicted of 16 counts of tax evasion in what was once described as one of the largest tax-evasion cases ever brought by the Internal Revenue Service.

The appellate decision rejecting Kraig's appeal says Bordone, an employee of Sturman, testified about his participation between 1988 and 1991 in the scheme to hide his boss' assets from the IRS, including buying adult bookstores that supposedly were owned by a third party but actually by Sturman.

The building at 315 Market St. is owned by the estate of Stanley D. Adler Jr., who was once a prominent real estate developer in central Pennsylvania. Adler acquired it in 1978, according to a complaint filed against him in 1991 by Preate. Efforts to reach a representative of the Adler family for comment were unsuccessful.

David Rudy, a commercial real estate agent who works in the office of Bill Gladstone at NAI-CIR in Wormleysburg, has the listing. He called it "a rehab type of buy," saying the upper two floors of the building are in particular need of work.

Preate sued Adler and other members of his family as the owners of the building after Preate's agents observed men engaged in sexual acts in some of the 19 viewing booths at the back of Rural Book and News Center. Films cited in the complaint include "Cabana Boys" and "Raunchy Redhead."

The complaint is a period piece from an era when the public was terrified of AIDS, far more so than today. It refers to AIDS as a "uniformly fatal disease" that has "swept into the heterosexual population." It warns that Dauphin County had the second-highest rate of AIDS infection in the state.

City vice officers arrested seven men in the store in 1999 after observing them in sexual activities. That was the last time the store was in the news.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2006, 12:07 AM
joining the rail club

^ glad that place is shut down.

on the federal courthouse site proposals...i don't like any of them. two out of the three choose to move it out of DT and the third site, although in DT, will demolish parts of a historic residential district. i just can't believe that the GSA can't find a better permanant location for the courthouse. there are several parcels of land vacant in DT that could be used for such a worthy project and what about all the area being cleared for the southern gateway project? i just don't get it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2006, 2:17 AM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
I'd rather they put the new courthouse up on 6th street, it will encourage more devolopment to move north on the northern gateway.

As for why they won't go for the southern gateway, well, I think they want to build the new building sooner, and the southern gateway project looks to be at least 10 years from starting.

To go into more detail on the southern gateway, it's not just one project (change 3rd street). To begin with, I doubt you will see new ramps on I-83 until the I-83 bridge area is completely rebuilt (it makes little sense to add ramps when you will soon have to rebuild the entire bridge area). According to the last estimate I read, the I-83 Bridge project is looking somewhere in excess of $600 million.

Even if the ramps were rebuilt, that would still leave the expansion of 3rd street, which may or may not be too difficult. Some versions of the plan require Paxson street to be raised up as well. After that, they you begin work on the actual real estate that you can now access. None of these steps are cheap, or fast. I fear that 10 years may be far too short of a time before this gets off the ground

Old Posted Apr 12, 2006, 1:40 PM
Me?!?

/\
Sadly, I agree.

As for the fed. bldg., I think the best spot is on 6th St. because:
  • I have always viewed that area as the government side of town due to all of the state buildings already there. If you look at DT, take the Capitol and then go North to Forster and you can almsot draw a line between the business side of town and the gov't side. In a way I like this because it gives the town what I call a "DC divide". Putting the fed. bldg. there will add even more to the gov't side.
  • Much of the housing in that area on 6th has been/is being totally redone and new development is popping up. IMO this bldg. would speed that process up beyond belief, and I feel (am hoping) it pushs further northward because much of 6th St. needs some SERIOUS help. I grew up on 6th, and it keeps getting worse and worse and I hate seeing this happen. Also, 6th St. has A LOT of empty parcels on it thanks to the demolishing of unsafe structures many moons ago, and again, HOUSING POTENTIAL (especially for federal workers who want to be close to work)!
I plan on attending the meeting and letting my feelings be known. If the feds end up taking all of those beautiful old rowhomes with the businesses in them that do HBG so well and have for decades, I promise you, that will be the final straw for me (although I think Bush and Co. have successfully destroyed any caring about the gov't I had years ago LOL).

More good news for DT!

NEWS INFORMATION FROM THE OFFICE OF MAYOR STEPHEN R. REED
City of Harrisburg
King City Government Center
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1678
Telephone: 717.255.3040
FOR IMMEDIATE USE
10 April 2006

DISTINCTIVE NEW “HAYDN’S ON PINE” & MAXINE’S MARTINI LOUNGE ADDS TO RESTAURANT ROW OFFERINGS

Mayor Stephen R. Reed today conducted official dedication ceremonies for the new Haydn’s on Pine and Maxine’s Martini Lounge at 215 Pine Street in the heart of downtown’s Restaurant Row district. The distinctive new restaurant and lounge occupy the site of the former Parev restaurant and Tuesday Club.

Reed said Haydn’s on Pine and Maxine’s Martini Lounge are owned and operated by Terry Lee and Stewart Hanford, who have long operated the highly successful Haydn Zugs restaurant near Lancaster. The new Haydn’s on Pine, located on the first floor, occupies 4,500 sq. ft. and provides luxurious fine dining for up to 195 guests, and also features the signature Harvey Taylor Bar. The second floor-based Maxine’s Martini Lounge occupies an additional 4,500 sq. ft. with seating for 150. A 3,000 sq. ft. lower level provides additional private dining and meeting space. The complex also has two separate kitchens.

The Mayor said Lee and Hanford undertook an extensive interior design and renovation effort of the site costing in excess of $1 million. Windows were opened to provide more natural light and the previously open kitchen area has been closed off. New interior decorations now provide a rich and inviting atmosphere.

Reed said Haydn’s on Pine is amongst the finest dining experiences in the city and midstate, and features an array of steaks, seafood and other specialities, including a $50 baked potato served with caviar. A wine list with more than 200 selections is also available.

“Hadyn’s on Pine has quickly become a signature attraction for downtown,” said the Mayor, “and offers one of the most distinctive dining experiences in the entire region. Its luxurious interior is combined with 5-star service, an outstanding menu and wine list, and many years of successful experience by its owners and operators, all of which combine for a perfect recipe of success.”

The Mayor said Maxine’s Martini Lounge, on the 2nd floor above the restaurant, has an extensive martini list and also offers delectable ‘tapas’, or appetizers.

Reed said Haydn’s on Pine and Maxine’s Martini Lounge provide new full and part time employment for 60. The dining and entertainment complex also offers 5 private dining rooms for special functions.

Haydn’s on Pine is open weekdays from 11:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m., and 4:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. on Saturdays, with advance reservations always suggested. Maxine’s Martini Lounge is open Mondays through Saturdays from 4:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. Contact Haydn’s on Pine at (717) 909.5161.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2006, 12:10 PM
Me?!?

VERY interesting because it shows just how powerful DT has become. Also, I wonder if the zoning change is a precursor to something bigger...

Catalano's sold to friend, but its family stays in charge

Thursday, April 13, 2006
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Catalano's Lounge and Restaurant in Wormleysburg, with its view of the Susquehanna River and Harrisburg, has an elegant if slightly old-fashioned feel.

Photographs of celebrities who visited the landmark Italian restaurant at the base of the Market Street Bridge are prominently displayed.

But in recent years, as new and trendier restaurants have opened across the bridge along Harrisburg's Restaurant Row, Catalano's has fallen on tough times.

On Monday, the Catalano family sold the establishment, although they said the restaurant will remain open and under the family's continued management.

The buyer is a friend of the family who is helping them pay off about $2 million in debt with the sale, Grace Catalano, who founded the restaurant with her late husband, Vince, in 1977, said Monday night.

"We can buy it back," she said. "Catalano's is staying in business."

Ann Catalano, Grace's daughter-in-law, said yesterday that the restaurant has been "struggling for the last couple of years" because of competition from restaurants opening in downtown Harrisburg.

"We've been hit very hard," she said.

Ann Catalano called it a "temporary sale" until things improve.

A few weeks ago, Ann Catalano told The Patriot-News that her family plans to add a coffee shop to the restaurant. The shop will be open in the mornings. They also are looking at ways to give the restaurant a more casual atmosphere, she said.

Coakley's Restaurant & Pub in nearby New Cumberland is more casual and caters to a different clientele but also experienced a brief downturn as Harrisburg's Restaurant Row burgeoned.

"We're doing good. Actually, we're above last year in sales. Initially, when downtown Harrisburg got started we really felt the pinch for probably four to five months," Coakley's general manager Karen Blazina said yesterday. "We're fortunate because a lot of our customers here are from the New Cumberland, Lewisberry and York side" and don't want to go the extra few miles into the city.

"Catalano's customer base is more of the suit-and-tie senator, congressman-type of clientele," Blazina said. New places in Harrisburg, such as Haydn's on Pine, are competing for those customers, she said.

In addition to competition, Catalano's has had to contend with flood damage over the years. A 28-foot flood wall was installed and the restaurant underwent a makeover after massive ice chunks and rising waters damaged it in January 1996.

Front Water L.P., of Suite 500, 1000 N. Front St. in Wormleysburg, is the new owner, borough officials said.

The name on the office at that address is RVG Management & Development Co., which was founded in 1973 by Robert V. Gothier Sr., who is listed on the company's Web site as the president. A woman at RVG said yesterday afternoon that no one was available to talk about the sale.

On Tuesday night, Borough Council unanimously approved an agreement among Front Water, Grace Catalano and the borough. The agreement allows for the land parcels at 461 S. Front St., which is Catalano's, and 449 S. Front St., where the Catalanos operate Angelina's Restaurant and Sports Bar, to be consolidated into one parcel within a year.

The Catalanos built too close to the property line when they extended the deck, and consolidating the properties into one parcel solves the zoning violation, borough Manager Gary W. Berresford said.

Catalano's, where dinners range in price from about $16 to $32, remains a favorite in surveys. In last year's Patriot-News Readers Restaurant Poll, it ranked third overall and third for fine dining.

"As far as the public goes, we need business. We want people to come see us," Grace Catalano said. "We need the business so we can buy this back."

HARRISBURG

Amendments would limit smoking ban

Thursday, April 13, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Two Harrisburg City Council members want to take some of the air out of a proposed smoking ban for municipal buildings and parks.

Calling the ban overly broad, Public Safety Committee Chairwoman Patty Kim said last night she would offer an amendment that would exempt public parks such as City Island and Riverfront Park, but would keep the ban for city playgrounds.

Meanwhile, council President Vera Jean White said she would like to see a three-year phase-in period to give smokers, especially city workers, time to adjust. As written, the bill would go into effect 60 days after adoption.

"Smoking is an addiction," White said. "We should give people some time to deal with this."

The ideas for changing the proposed smoking ordinance were floated last night during a second public hearing on the bill, which again received strong support from pro-health and anti-smoking groups.

The final version of the ordinance will be determined Tuesday, when votes are scheduled on proposed amendments, as well as the final bill.

Some form of the smoking ban is expected to pass, leaving it up to Mayor Stephen R. Reed, a smoker, to decide whether to veto the measure.

Reed and many of his staff light up at their desks and in their offices within the administration wing on the second floor of City Hall.

Reed has defended his right to smoke at work, and has said the same option is extended to other city employees who work in offices where there is no interaction with the public.

As proposed, the bill would ban smoking in all city-owned buildings, parks and playgrounds, as well as city-owned vehicles. Violators would face a summary citation and a minimum $50 fine.

The bill's author, Gloria Martin-Roberts, pointed out that the ban would not extend to city sidewalks and streets, even though they, too, are "outdoor public places owned by the city," as defined in the ordinance.

"We are not going to give people tickets for smoking on the sidewalk," she said, adding that the bill's wording would be changed to reflect this distinction.

Martin-Roberts defended the ban for public parks, saying health conditions such as asthma are widespread among children and there's no guarantee smoke dissipates enough in the outdoors to be benign.

Resident Michelle McIntyre-Brewer said her 10-month-old daughter, who was born with a severe heart defect, is a virtual prisoner in her home because the little girl can't tolerate any smoke.

"I can't go to City Island with my daughter," she said. "I don't think that's fair. I should have the right to go out to a baseball game."

The ban would not extend to privately run restaurants, bars and other such public places in the city, but it would encourage those places to adopt no-smoking policies.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2006, 2:13 PM
Me?!?

Lots of articles about our growth today. Like most growth in today's America, it's a total double-edged sword:

PA - Home-building Fees Sought to Ease Growth

Demand for homes continues in region

Sunday, April 16, 2006
BY DAN MILLER
Of The Patriot-News

Winding Hills. Stone Creek. North Ridge. The Preserve. Forest Ridge.

Everywhere you look in central Pennsylvania, a housing development is being built. Who is moving into all those new houses, and who is buying the existing homes being sold?

Many of the houses are sold to people who already live in the area, with families changing addresses as they need more space.

Home-ownership rates nationally are hovering at historic highs, which means people who once rented now own. And that trend has been helped by historically low interest rates, which, at just over 6 percent for a 30-year mortgage, are still much lower than a generation ago.

In addition, as planning experts point out, the midstate is north and west of some of the hottest housing markets in the country -- Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New Jersey. Those distances might seem like long commutes for many midstaters. But some people from those urban areas find they can get their castle on a larger piece of land in the midstate at a much lower price than where they live now.

Another factor is the aging population. Older people are among the fastest-growing groups buying homes in this area, observers said. These so-called "empty nesters" -- whether from the midstate or elsewhere -- are abandoning larger houses because their kids left home.

"They are downsizing, literally, in droves," said Nelson Keener, vice president of the new-homes division at Coldwell Banker Homesale Services Group. "Tens of thousands of people are going to turn 60 in the next 10 years. They are buying a lot of the new homes."

Many empty nesters seek out new housing developments marketed to people 55 and older. Such developments usually feature arrangements in which lawn maintenance, snow removal and other chores are handled for the residents.

In other cases, developers are building housing that "self-discriminates" against anyone younger than 55.

"I've had builders tell me they are looking for property where they can put semidetached, first-level bedroom master suites," Keener said. "You'll never see a sign that says 55-plus, but because of the style of the house, it is designed to interest and meet the needs of that couple."

Some new developments are big enough to be marketed to many demographic groups. That's the case with Winding Hills, being developed in Upper Allen Twp.

Winding Hills offers a neighborhood-type mix, with townhouses ranging from $190,000 to $240,000. The houses are clustered among traditional single-family homes and single-floor patio houses. On the other end of the development, houses start in the $650,000 range and go up to $1 million.

John Yarnall, principal of Shaffer & Son Inc., estimated that 60 percent of the buyers of houses built by his company already live in this area. Shaffer & Son does most of its building in the Hershey and Hummelstown area, including developments such as Deer Run and Stone Creek in Derry Twp.

"Most of the people we are dealing with are all rooted in this area, and the majority of them have lived here all of their life," Yarnall said. "Everybody always thinks that everybody is living in a home, so all the new ones must be built for new people. But a lot of people still rent."

However, that pool of potential buyers keeps getting smaller. The home-ownership rate nationally has been increasing, reaching nearly 69 percent by the end of last year. In 1980, the rate was about 65 percent.

In Pennsylvania, the home-ownership rate is even higher -- 76.8 percent in 2004, according to the Pennsylvania State Data Center. That means less than a quarter of people rent.

Yarnall said several of his houses are sold to people who had moved away but are coming back, including the empty nesters who want smaller houses.

Only a small percentage are buyers who are new to the area, such as people lured here by jobs. Transplants often buy existing homes, Yarnall said. They don't have enough time to wait for a new house to be built.

Growth from the south:

Craig Zumbrun, executive director of the South Central Assembly for Effective Governance, monitors the growth trends. His group addresses regional issues such as housing and transportation.

The midstate market for new housing is largely being influenced by what is going on in Maryland and northern Virginia, Zumbrun said.

To curb development, some communities in Maryland have levied impact fees, which essentially are taxes on new houses. Communities also have imposed moratoriums that prohibit new building for environmental reasons. In addition, large blocks of land are set aside for preservation.

That means supplies of homes are more limited, pushing housing costs even higher in areas where prices already far outpace prices in the midstate. For decades, builders and residents alike have looked north of the Mason-Dixon Line for housing, often commuting long distances to their jobs.

On top of that, retired people from the Washington, D.C., area are moving into Franklin County and east to mid-Cumberland County, Zumbrun said. Pennsylvania doesn't tax their pension benefits, yet the retirees still can maintain their ties to Maryland.

York and southern York County are experiencing "a lot of push" from people relocating from the Baltimore area, Zumbrun said. Baltimore County restricts growth in its northern tier. So, for decades now, builders and residents have been driving up Interstate 83 and over the state line into southern York County. As land becomes unavailable and expensive there, house prices have been soaring, causing developers to look father north off the interstate.

Next door to York County is Adams County, which is north of Route 15 from Maryland. It now is the fastest-growing county in the state, with annual growth rates of 7 percent in each of the last three years, Zumbrun added.

Nationally known builders are looking to Pennsylvania because they can build large subdivisions easier and at much lower costs than in Maryland and northern Virginia, Zumbrun said. The result can be runaway growth.

"We get into a tax crisis on the local government level, such as in southern York County," Zumbrun said. "Three or four big subdivisions get approved and then you need a new elementary school. Who pays for it? The local people."

It was that sort of situation that led politicians in Maryland to approve impact fees, which local governments in Pennsylvania might consider. Real estate agents and builders often fight such efforts because it makes it harder for them to sell houses, Zumbrun said.

Meanwhile, Lebanon and eastern Dauphin counties are experiencing growth pushed by expansion west from the Philadelphia and Reading areas. Zumbrun said growth in the city of Lebanon is being fueled by what he described as an explosion of entrepreneurial development by the Hispanic community.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2006, 2:18 PM
Me?!?

Housing deals found in older communities

Sunday, April 16, 2006
BY DAN MILLER
Of The Patriot-News

Older boroughs and communities such as Carlisle and New Cumberland are becoming a source of housing for people who can't afford to buy in new developments.

That's according to Christopher Gulotta, executive director of the Cumberland County Housing Authority. Census data show an increasing percentage of younger people moving into the older communities, as senior citizens die or move into nursing homes, Gulotta said.

The supply of housing in these areas is adequate for now, he said. He's not sure that will be the case if the midstate's population continues to grow.

The prices already are increasing -- by 30 percent since 2000, Gulotta said. Ten years ago, newly renovated homes in the Pitt Street area of Carlisle sold for $45,000. Now, the same kind of homes on West North Street a block away are commanding prices of $80,000 to $95,000, he explained.

Interest rates still are relatively low, so houses in Carlisle and similar communities are selling quickly, often within a week.

"For the most part, if you have a stable job and can put yourself in affordable housing, it is sometimes cheaper to own than to rent," Gulotta said. That trend has kept apartment rents from rising dramatically, at least in Carlisle.

Nationwide, the home-ownership rate is 69 percent, which means that about 30 percent rent. In Pennsylvania, it is a much higher 76.8 percent.

Dave Loughery is director of fund development for the Lancaster Housing Development Corp., a nonprofit company that works to increase the supply of affordable rental housing in Lancaster, Dauphin, Berks, York, Lebanon and Chester counties. He said the supply of rental housing is not keeping pace with demand.

Loughery cited a recent report by the Lancaster County Planning Commission that found the county will need 700 to 800 new units of affordable rental housing each year to keep pace with demand.

Tax credits offered by the federal government for low-income housing provide leverage that nonprofit agencies can use to attract investment from the private sector. But the number of credits being made available by the government has remained flat in recent years, Loughery said.

The region is overdue for a comprehensive housing plan and strategy, said Craig Zumbrun, executive director of the South Central Assembly for Effective Governance. At the same time, he said, a positive trend is the increasing interest of builders in developing housing in Harrisburg and other urban areas.

Some builders also are incorporating affordable housing in new developments, a trend that Zumbrun said needs to be encouraged. But first-time buyers born in the area are getting squeezed out of the market, he said.

Prices of homes continue to rise, area data show

Sunday, April 16, 2006
BY DAN MILLER
Of The Patriot-News

House prices in central Pennsylvania are still increasing.

The average sale price of houses in Cumberland, Dauphin, Perry and northern York counties grew by 2.4 percent in the first three months of 2006, according to Central Penn Multi-List, a service that monitors home-sales trends.

One quarter does not a year make. But the rate of increase is one of the smallest jumps since 2002.

The average sale price in the first three months of 2002 dropped by 2.6 percent. Yet that year ended strong, with a 5 percent overall gain from the previous year.

Since then, midstate home prices have continued to climb just about every quarter.

So far this year, the Lebanon County housing market has one of the best showings. The average sale price in Lebanon, as reported by Keystone Multi-List Inc., was $159,022 in the first quarter. That is a 3.2 percent increase from the average price at the end of 2005.

The Campbelltown area in Lebanon County is a hot market, said Ted Stefan, an associate broker and general manager at Brownstone Real Estate in Derry Twp.

Taxes are relatively low, Stefan noted. Local officials also seem "more friendly" to approving new housing, he added.

Houses still seem to be selling at about the same rate. Last year, houses were on the market an average of 47 days in the area covered by Central Penn Multi-List. So far this year, the average number of market days is 54. But that is consistent with the number of market days reported by Central Penn for the first quarter in each of the past several years.

The second quarter usually is the busiest of the year and a better indicator than the first quarter for what kind of year it will be in the local housing market, said Fred Humphrey, president of the Greater Harrisburg Association of Realtors.

Humphrey also keeps looking for signs of any slowdown in the higher-end housing market, meaning homes that sell for $350,000 or more. A slowdown at the high end could be the first sign of a tapering off in the overall market.

Midstate real estate agents and brokers like to point out that the housing market here doesn't mirror the tumultuous trends in other places, especially the hot markets nationwide. The rate of appreciation in California and Florida, for example, was much more dramatic than here, so a downward trend in those areas will be sharper, local observers say.

"We don't see that shortfall that the rest of the country is talking about. As of yet we're still booming," Humphrey said.

Figures early this year bear that out.

The Florida Association of Realtors has reported a 20 percent drop in sales of existing single-family homes.

The California association reported a 15 percent drop in February compared to the same month in 2005.

In Washington, D.C., sales are off nearly 19 percent.

Locally, at least one builder says he isn't concerned.

"I predicted three years ago that we would have a downturn. It didn't happen," said Mike Greene, owner of The Homestead Group Inc. and developer of Winding Hills, a 980-unit housing development being built in Upper Allen Twp.

"Harrisburg is typically the last market to experience" a downturn, he said. "We don't have those peaks and valleys."

Greene expects continued appreciation in home values.

The midstate has about 2,200 homes available on the market, he said. The average is 3,000, so "supply is still not up to par," even with all the new homes being built, Greene said.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2006, 2:19 PM
Me?!?

Winding Hills

25% of homes in development sold to people moving to area

Sunday, April 16, 2006
BY DAN MILLER
Of The Patriot-News

About 32 single-family houses have been sold in the past year at Winding Hills, a sprawling development in Upper Allen Twp.

And 24 of those houses went to buyers who already lived in the area, said K.C. Wenger, a spokeswoman for the development. The remaining eight were sold to people from outside the midstate.

Last December, Paul and Andrea Reisser moved from the Mechanicsburg area into a larger, two-story house in Winding Hills.

Reisser, 49, said the house they had built in Silver Spring Twp. 18 years ago was starting to "nickel and dime us to death." A new roof and other improvements were needed, so the Reissers figured it made more sense to put the money into a new home.

Mike Greene is owner of The Homestead Group Inc. and the developer of Winding Hills. He has built other midstate developments, including Victoria Glen and Floribunda in East Pennsboro Twp. and Fairwinds and Turnberry in Hampden Twp.

Winding Hills ultimately will total 980 units spread over 380 acres. It is his biggest development, dwarfing the 350 units in Floribunda.

"The difference between this and the others I've done is the scope," Greene said. "This community has 120 acres of open space. That's the size of a big golf course. A big development is 120 acres all by itself."

Greene said the size of Winding Hills gives him options to provide a greater variety of housing styles to suit the needs of many buyers. His previous developments mostly were limited to single-family homes.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2006, 1:12 PM
Me?!?

HIGHSPIRE

Plan aims 'to save life' of borough, re-invent it

Monday, April 17, 2006
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News

Highspire officials are drawing up a blueprint for the future.

The Highspire Borough Comprehensive Plan is "a road map on where Highspire is going and how it will get there," said Frank Chlebnikow of Rettew of Camp Hill, planning consultant and project manager.

Comprehensive plans are used to obtain federal and state grants. Highspire's plan, funded in part by a Community Development Block Grant, is being crafted by a task force with input from residents and advice from Rettew planners.

"We need a comprehensive plan to save the life of this town," said Councilwoman April Miller, a member of the task force. "We have a funny town. It's conservative. People are set in their ways."

Highspire "is in a great position to re-invent itself," Chlebnikow said. "Highspire doesn't have to follow Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or even Harrisburg. It's independent of big cities. It can plan and develop its own vision."

Highspire was laid out in 1814 by two German settlers and incorporated as a borough in 1904.

The municipality has 2,720 residents, 87 percent of them white, with a median age of 37.4 and a median household income of $32,083, according to the 2000 census. Ten percent of the borough's residents live below the poverty level.

Mayor John Horner said the landlocked borough continues to attract businesses.

He said it offers well-built, affordable housing and a "warm, friendly atmosphere with several special community events."

Chlebnikow said the task force, which began work in January, is in its first phase: surveying residents and analyzing the natural environment, population statistics, economic base, existing land use, housing, transportation and community facilities. The second phase will include public participation and goal development.

The third and fourth phases will involve plan development and implementation.

Chlebnikow said the process usually takes 15 months.

A May 24 meeting has been scheduled to get input from borough residents.

"We want to get feedback from the residents on how they want to see the borough develop and what their vision for Highspire is," he said.

Chlebnikow called Highspire an "accessible" community with its proximity to Interstate 283.

"There are opportunities to redevelop the downtown here, not with a big shopping center but with small specialty shops," he said. "This borough provides lots of housing opportunities for many people with different incomes."

MARY KLAUS: 255-8113 or mklaus@patriot-news.com

MEETING

WHAT: Public hearing on Highspire's comprehensive plan. WHEN: 5 to 9 p.m. May 24. WHERE: Highspire United Methodist Church. INFORMATION: Contact Borough Manager John McHale at 939-3303 or Frank Chlebnikow at 697-3551. E-mail Chlebnikow at fxc@ rettew.com.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2006, 1:20 AM
joining the rail club

^ great articles on all the growth occuring in the area. thanks Dave!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations