HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio
My brother in law was with the 187th for 10 years.... nice to see them getting some new digs...
I have a brother who has been with the 187th for about the same amount of time, and he's been waiting for this day for a long time.
He also told me that at one time the national guard was to get possession of the airport's terminal along US 80, while a new terminal for the airport was going to be built on the other side of the runways where the new control tower has already been built. It was to connect with the Outer Loop, which would run along the southside of the airport's property.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 3:14 PM
Capitol Heights

I'm watching the original train tracks from the Lighting Route getting ripped today up as a part of the "historical renovation". It makes me sick. They even ripped up the original stone pavers which were still there under 6 layers of asphalt. Sorry to rant - I'd love to see the tracks preserved and exposed for people to see and appreciate.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 9:01 PM

Ahah....an imposter.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 1:29 PM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapHitez
I'm watching the original train tracks from the Lighting Route getting ripped today up as a part of the "historical renovation". It makes me sick. They even ripped up the original stone pavers which were still there under 6 layers of asphalt. Sorry to rant - I'd love to see the tracks preserved and exposed for people to see and appreciate.
I thought about that, but after looking at it yesterday, I noticed that there is about a 6" to 1' height difference between the rail bed and the current surrounding asphalt streets, too big to over come with a smooth transition.

I would love to get one or two of those original pavers though... I wonder who to talk too.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 1:30 PM
Witty comment fail

After months and months of delays, they are moving some serious dirt on the BPS and High Point Centre. 'Official' ground breaking yesterday.

Quote:
Ceremony celebrates Bass shop construction

By Marty Roney
Montgomery Advertiser

PRATTVILLE -- Bass Pro Shops pulled out all the stops in announcing its arrival Thursday. The NASCAR Bass Pro Shop car roared in to deliver the shovels for the groundbreaking.

"I didn't know stock cars had trunks," Prattville Mayor Jim Byard said with a laugh.

About 500 people attended the ceremony that included a live country band and an invitation-only catfish lunch. Bass Pro Shops is building a 130,000-square-
foot Outdoor World Store, which it plans to open in August 2007. It will create 250 to 300 jobs.

"I can't wait until they open, I'm going to spend all my money here," said Tom Woodman of Prattville. "I wish they could open the doors today. I've been to the stores in Atlanta and Nashville (Tenn.), and it's just unbelievable what they have to offer. This is going to be great for Prattville to have something like this in town."

Part museum, art gallery, education, conservation and entertainment center, the store will include a large aquarium stocked with local game fish and mounted fish and game animals found in the region.

The Prattville store will include the 6,800-square-
foot Islamorada Fish Company Restaurant that will serve fresh seafood. A large boat showroom will feature Tracker, Nitro, Tahoe and Mako boats, built by Tracker Marine Group, the world's largest manufacturer of fishing boats. "Bass Pro Shops visitors will be able to purchase most everything they need for fishing, hunting, camping and outdoors activities," said Jim Hagale, president of the company. "We will also have free workshops for families, so they can make their time outdoors more enjoyable."

The effort to land the outdoor retailer took more than two years and went through a few twists along the way. Byard told the crowd about waiting for Bass Pro founder Johnny Morris for a meeting at the proposed store site. The mayor was pressed for time because he was expected to meet his pregnant wife, Beverly, for a doctor's appointment.

"I called Larry Puckett and asked where they were. Larry said they were at Sonic," Byard said. " 'Johnny wanted a limeade.' When they pulled up Johnny shook my hand, gave me my cherry limeade and said 'Here, take this. You have some where you need to be.' It wasn't too long that they announced they were coming to Prattville. We hadn't signed any deals, but we had a handshake and a limeade. That tells you what kind of folks we are dealing with, when a handshake carries more weight than a signed paper."

Morris said Prattville was an easy choice because Ray Scott lives just a few miles away in neighboring Lowndes County. Scott is founder of the Bass Anglers Sportsman Society, the nation's largest bass fishing organization. When Morris was younger, he fished B.A.S.S. tournaments in the Springfield, Mo., area.

He began selling fishing lures from a table in his father's liquor store, and from that beginning he built what is now the nation's largest outdoors retailer, according to Sporting Goods Business magazine. Bass Pro Shops operates 27 stores in 17 states and Canada, according to the company's Web site. Each year, the stores bring in 78 million visitors, the site said. Another 31 stores are either announced or under construction.

"This area is home to bass fishing for many people in America," Morris said. "Ray will never get enough credit for what he has done for fishing in this country. We're glad to be here."

Scott caught his love of bass fishing when he was 7. His father was a member of Bridge Creek Fishing Club, about 10 miles north of Prattville.

"I would fish below the dam, using crickets to catch those little bream," he said. "One time my cork went under and shot to the other side of the pool. It was a bass about 7 inches long. It just caught me on fire for bass fishing. There's no telling what I would have done with my life if I hadn't caught that little bitty bass.

"So you see, mayor, we've come full circle. It all started right up the road here in Autauga County."

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 2:09 PM
Capitol Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio
I would love to get one or two of those original pavers though... I wonder who to talk too.
Do what I did. Walk into the construction site and pick one up!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2006, 2:33 PM

Pics of the development are great. I see it from ground level every day, but the view from above explains some things. Some questions, though.

I see the pool going in on the top of the parking structure. Will there be any connection between the structures, or will guest have to go across the greenspace, up the parking garage and then to the pool and spa?

And I see that Danny Clements is at work on the old Bruno's in Atlanta Crossing. Anyone know what's happening there?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2006, 4:03 AM

Welcome to the forum, rbp!

Not exactly sure about the connectivity of the two structures, but I'm sure there will be some way to get between the two without being exposed to the elements.

I wish I knew what's going on with the old Bruno's building in Atlanta Crossing, but hopefully this will be the location of Freddie B's, which has not revealed where their location will be as of yet.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 9:02 PM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
City awarded building grant
Montgomery Advertiser

To give Montgomery's downtown a facelift, city officials will use grant money to help pay for the operation.

The city applied for and received a $493,614 grant from the U.S. Small Business Association, specifically designated to make improvements on the facades of downtown buildings.

By unburdening business owners of the cost of exterior improvements, more money can be invested into maintenance and interior work, said Ken Groves, director of Montgomery's Department of Planning and Development.

BTW, the for sale sign is out of the City Federal building.... don't know if it sold or the sign just fell down

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 9:30 PM
Midtown Montgomery

What are some examples of the buildings mentioned above that will get the facelift?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 12:34 AM

Have y'all heard rumours that the Regions building next to Court Square is for sale?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 12:39 AM

That would not be surprising seeing as Regions merged with AmSouth.
They are probably consolidating equipment in either B'ham or in the RSA tower.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 3:31 AM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz
What are some examples of the buildings mentioned above that will get the facelift?
no idea... it may be used as incentive money to get people interested in buying some of the stuff on 100 dexter.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 3:32 AM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Heights
Have y'all heard rumours that the Regions building next to Court Square is for sale?
no... and considering that that building connects directly to 2 other Regions buildings.... I wouldn't be sure of that.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoots71
That would not be surprising seeing as Regions merged with AmSouth.
They are probably consolidating equipment in either B'ham or in the RSA tower.
But with only part of two floors in the tower, they'd have to move almost everything to Birmingham. Don't they have several older buildings downtown that they're using as storage?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 1:24 PM

The old Union Bank Building should be for sale. Regions Technology is located in most of the building and technology will be located in the AmSouth facility on Lakeshore Dr. in Bham. Most of technology will be gone by the start of summer 2007.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 2:20 PM
Gump Watcher

Regions

Without giving away company secrets, look for several downtown bank buildings (including other banks) to become vacant in the next 24-30 months...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 4:12 PM
Witty comment fail

hurray for mergers.... grumble grumble.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2006, 6:29 AM
Dutch Biscuit fan

Hi there,

I am new on this site. I discovered this site by accident. I was searching on the net for pictures of the Montgomery Biscuits and Riverwalk Stadium.

Interesting pictures.

There is a lot going on in Montgomery. But IMO the concrete buildings don't fit in next to the old buildings from the late 1800's /early 1900's.

But on the other hands, when I see the desolated buildings, it is clear to me that something has to happen.

Once agaiin, intersting site.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2006, 1:17 PM
Witty comment fail

Welcome to the site! I replied to your PM... don't really have anymore Riverwalk pics right now though

I'm curious as to how you've become a Biscuits fan? Are you a transplanted local or perhaps a participant in the Air War College exchange program from Maxwell A.F.B.?

Anyway, welcome and enjoy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast