HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 6:47 AM
Hindrance to Development

Where did you see a historic locomotive on display in the renderings? Haven't heard anything about that--the closest source of historic locomotives is more focused on displaying large numbers of them in and around the Railroad Technology Museum across the tracks.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
This project is far from being a "white elephant."

On another subject, does anyone know if there are plans to display a historic locomotive as shown in the renderings?
Here is the rendering he is referring to. http://sacramentovalleystation.com/?attachment_id=774

No, the locomotive will not be in the lobby area.

On another note, I pulled the permit today for temp power with the city. Ground breaking ceremony is tomorrow, with mobilization mid/late October. I'll be at the ceremony tomorrow, might post pics if anyone cares.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 1:28 AM
Hindrance to Development

Okay, didn't see that--looks more like it is intended to suggest a supergraphic, not a locomotive inside the building. Maybe the supergraphics planned for the two-story "office" structure that is going inside the former restaurant? That was supposed to have railroad-related images on its exterior that would be visible from the outside. In that case, it's in the wrong window.

Might make it to the groundbreaking tomorrow.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 3:41 PM
Hindrance to Development

Just caught the end of the event at the depot--was at a streetcar presentation earlier that morning (short version: federal match is in good shape, expect streetcars to be running around 2017-2018 from West Sacramento city hall to 19th and K) but it was a full house at the Depot. fouroheight68, what did you think of the event?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 10:50 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Just caught the end of the event at the depot--was at a streetcar presentation earlier that morning (short version: federal match is in good shape, expect streetcars to be running around 2017-2018 from West Sacramento city hall to 19th and K)

That's awesome news.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Just caught the end of the event at the depot--was at a streetcar presentation earlier that morning (short version: federal match is in good shape, expect streetcars to be running around 2017-2018 from West Sacramento city hall to 19th and K) but it was a full house at the Depot. fouroheight68, what did you think of the event?
Was a nice event, some good coverage for my company as well (Rudolph & Sletten). Regarding the previous question of the train image through the windows - those graphics have been removed (although the renderings at the event still showed them).

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 7:00 PM

The Sacramento Biz Journal has a nice article out on the project http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...r.html?ana=lnk

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Meh. In the end it will still a white elephant. At least a private developer could have incorporated it into a larger development. What good will it be once the new depot is built?
Could the public market and sundry shops come into being then? Win-win. The old depot that is no longer functional for modern transport is preserved and put too good use, and the new depot is built.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Could the public market and sundry shops come into being then? Win-win. The old depot that is no longer functional for modern transport is preserved and put too good use, and the new depot is built.
That is exactly the plan. The city owned depot is being restored, however Amtrak plans on building their own depot closer to the tracks in subsequent phases. Then, the old depot will be converted to office lofts/public market.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Could be ... But wasn't another part of the railyards slated for a permanent public market? Not sure what they should do with it permanent now that the money has been allocated to rehab it. A public market would ok but I like the plan to put into one of the old rail yard sheds better. I think a hotel/residence tower next to it would be a good thing and they could incorporate the depot.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Could be ... But wasn't another part of the railyards slated for a permanent public market? Not sure what they should do with it now that the money has been allocated to rehab it. A public market would ok but I like the plan to put into one of the old rail yard sheds better. I think a hotel/residence tower next to depot would be a good thing and they could incorporate the depot into that as public space. The waiting hall would make a great lobby.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:37 AM
Hindrance to Development

There isn't really any reason why the old depot wouldn't be "functional for modern transport" any more than Los Angeles union station is--they are similar distances from the tracks, it becomes more an issue of programming more uses (transit and otherwise) between the main entrance of the building and the tracks. It becomes a grand entrance to the depot complex instead of the whole station, with multiple transit uses in between. Los Angeles is even in the process of opening up their currently underground path between the depot and the tracks--so it will more closely resemble Sacramento's model! As Los Angeles has done around its transit center, there is a lot of opportunity for new development, including hotels and residential or office.

The West Sacramento/Midtown streetcar line will most likely run directly in front of the depot, suggesting that it will still be the drop-off point for those riding streetcar, and when light rail is reoriented north the path between the depot and the tracks can be straightened out. The Amtrak office/ticketing facility planned for the historic depot is planned to be present for the next 20 or so years, so it's not like they will be moving out anytime soon.

Using a Shops building as a new passenger depot would be kind of impractical; they're in the wrong place, with more limited access to the tracks (a staircase instead of a ramp, the access tunnels come out in the wrong place) and the building closest to the access tunnel, the Blacksmith Shop, doesn't have an entrance on the side facing the tracks, and the Paint Shop is almost as far from the tracks as the existing depot.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 5:31 PM

Quote:
There isn't really any reason why the old depot wouldn't be "functional for modern transport" any more than Los Angeles union station is--they are similar distances from the tracks, it becomes more an issue of programming more uses (transit and otherwise) between the main entrance of the building and the tracks. It becomes a grand entrance to the depot complex instead of the whole station, with multiple transit uses in between. Los Angeles is even in the process of opening up their currently underground path between the depot and the tracks--so it will more closely resemble Sacramento's model! As Los Angeles has done around its transit center, there is a lot of opportunity for new development, including hotels and residential or office.

The West Sacramento/Midtown streetcar line will most likely run directly in front of the depot, suggesting that it will still be the drop-off point for those riding streetcar, and when light rail is reoriented north the path between the depot and the tracks can be straightened out. The Amtrak office/ticketing facility planned for the historic depot is planned to be present for the next 20 or so years, so it's not like they will be moving out anytime soon.

Using a Shops building as a new passenger depot would be kind of impractical; they're in the wrong place, with more limited access to the tracks (a staircase instead of a ramp, the access tunnels come out in the wrong place) and the building closest to the access tunnel, the Blacksmith Shop, doesn't have an entrance on the side facing the tracks, and the Paint Shop is almost as far from the tracks as the existing depot.
@ wburg Who was suggesting the Shops become the new depot? That's not what I said. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I just favor a public market in Shops area, as originally proposed, over one in the old depot as someone suggested. The way the old depot is designed it does not lend itself well IMO to converting it into a public market. It's not at all like the Ferry Building in San Francisco.

I understand your arguments in favor of retaining the old depot for transportation purposes. On the surface it makes a lot sense. However, the comparison with LA's Union Station is interesting because I do not find that area very inviting. So I'm not sure LA should be our model. Isn't most of newer development mostly government(ish) and boring? I do not recall any hotel adjacent to Union Station.

According to the plan, the new Sacramento intermodal transit station would pretty much render the old depot useless/redundant, so it seems to me like a lot of wasted building and land just to preserve its historical context. Now if the parking lots that surrounds the old depot were turned into a public market & gathering space that might work. Maybe the old depot could become an annex of the convention center, similar to what is being proposed in San Diego?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 5:40 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
@ wburg Who was suggesting the Shops become the new depot? That's not what I said. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I just favor a public market in Shops area, as originally proposed, over one in the old depot as someone suggested. The way the old depot is designed it does not lend itself well IMO to converting it into a public market. It's not at all like the Ferry Building in San Francisco.
Okay, I misinterpreted what you wrote about a public market in the Shops and thought you meant moving the depot to the Shops. I'm in full agreement that one of the Shops buildings, probably the Paint Shop, are a better choice for a large Public Market type space.

Quote:
I understand your arguments in favor of retaining the old depot for transportation purposes. On the surface it makes a lot sense. However, the comparison with LA's Union Station is interesting because I do not find that area very inviting. So I'm not sure LA should be our model. Isn't most of newer development mostly government(ish) and boring? I do not recall any hotel adjacent to Union Station.
Have you seen some of the latest plans for LA's Union Station? They include turning the front parking lot into more of a public plaza, and elevating the currently underground passageway to the trains into an open, covered walkway--a bit like the second and third phase plans for our own depot that have been around for a while. There isn't a hotel adjacent to Union Station, but there is multi-unit housing (not sure if it is apartment or condo) just north of the station. I like the idea of a hotel in the vicinity of the depot; I suggested using the upper level of the depot as a boutique hotel (calling it the "Foamer" as it would be a natural place to stay for railroad fans visiting CSRM, with great views of UP and Amtrak trains going by and the historic Shops) but they didn't like the idea as much.

Quote:
According to the plan, the new Sacramento intermodal transit station would pretty much render the old depot useless/redundant, so it seems to me like a lot of wasted building and land just to preserve its historical context. Now if the parking lots that surrounds the old depot were turned into a public market & gathering space that might work. Maybe the old depot could become an annex of the convention center, similar to what is being proposed in San Diego?
I don't see the plans the same way--they don't render the depot useless or redundant, they position it as the grand entrance to a much larger, expanded intermodal facility, just as Los Angeles Union Station is. The current plan involves moving Amtrak's business facilities from the eastern half of the station to the old restaurant space on the western half, with the ground floor offices converted to commercial, retail and restaurant spaces to serve travelers, in the same way that an airport has shops and restaurants to serve passnegers. LA Union Station's grand entrance hall is mostly a waiting area with commercial spaces, the Amtrak ticketing facility is way in the back and the trains themselves are a long walk down a tunnel, with local buses at the farthest end and the Red Line downstairs. The historic depot is a grand entrance, with current and future uses, but just because the tickets and baggage areas are in the back doesn't mean the 1930s era station is obsolete for transit uses.

I sometimes think that folks here don't think big enough when it comes to our train station. A little "Amshack" facility next to the relocated tracks simply does not suffice for the level of passengers Sacramento receives. We're the seventh-busiest Amtrak depot in the country, the second busiest west of Chicago. The fourth and fifth busiest commuter lines, the Capitol Corridor and the San Joaquin meet here--combined, they carry as many as the Pacific Surfliner, whose hub is at LA Union Station. That's before planned expansion of both of those lines (with the proposed third line to Roseville and increased CC and SJ runs) may push us closer to Los Angeles' numbers--or maybe past them. Add to that Gold Line and Green Line light rail trains, once Light Rail is reoriented north and service starts to the Railyards stop, streetcar service (which will drop off passengers at the historic depot), Amtrak buses and local buses, taxicabs (plus Lyft and Uber) and you have a huge mixture of transit uses all coming together, not in a single building, but an entire transit-connected district that will need a lot of space so these different modes don't step all over themselves. Plus, there is plenty of room left over for the ancillary buildings that are useful to an intermodal depot: restaurants, convenience stores, rental car offices, newsstands, travel bureaus and visitor information centers, hotels, and even parking structures to hold rental cars and make room to convert the surface parking lots to public plaza space. And I like LA Union Station's inclusion of housing--I certainly wouldn't mind a condo at the depot with views out onto the Shops and the river from a higher altitude!

Speaking of which, last time I was at LA Union Station, I dropped off my rental car and walked up to the depot only to discover a big public festival going on in the existing public plaza adjacent to the depot entrance! Made the wait for my train a bit more interesting, especially since an information booth had been set up in front of the rental-car garage access door! LA realizes they need more space if they want to put on big public events at the depot and are making plans for it. It's time for people to stop assuming that Sacramento only needs a little Amshack, when what we need is a grand central station--with the historic depot as its beautiful public entrance, leading to a mixture of transit modes, uses and commercial activities beyond. We ain't no whistle stop, people.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 12:19 AM

@ wburg Have I seen some of the latest plans for LA's Union Station? No, but they are just future plans right? You made it seem like the area around the station had developed into this vibrant mix-use urban neighborhood and that's just bogus. I lived in LA for 10 years (mostly in the older neighborhoods closer to downtown) and I frequently caught the train down to San Diego to visit my family. So I'm pretty familiar with (Union Station).

LA's station is configured that way because they designed it that way from the beginning. I guess they had good reason - large number of tracks, alignment and orientation, accommodating the automobile, wishing to highlight LA's great climate, as opposed to the gritty stations back east? I don't know. But it's not at all the same thing here in Sacramento. But you keep saying it is. Is not the plan to build a whole new depot north of the old one? You call it "Amshack" but will not the new intermodal facility have a drop off, ticketing booths, waiting area, retail/cafe space, etc? The plans I saw were pretty nice. Granted they were a few years ago and this city loves to value engineer proposals down to crap.

I'm glad you're infatuated with L.A.'s Union Station. And I understand that as a historian you probably would not only want to preserve the building but also maintain it's original purpose as much as possible. I get that. What I don't get is how you possibly imagine the old depot will be anything other than a "grand" pass-through (if even that) once the new station is built? I'd rather see it repurposed into something more than the latest Paragary venture and offices for Amtrak employees (who cares?). OK keep the old waiting area a public right-of-way but let's try and incorporate the old depot into something else like a hotel. Let's not waste the opportunity here. I'm big on historical preservation, but not so much on historical reenactments. That's all I'm saying and going to say on that.

Last edited by ozone; Oct 18, 2014 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 4:05 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
@ wburg Have I seen some of the latest plans for LA's Union Station? No, but they are just future plans right? You made it seem like the area around the station had developed into this vibrant mix-use urban neighborhood and that's just bogus. I lived in LA for 10 years (mostly in the older neighborhoods closer to downtown) and I frequently caught the train down to San Diego to visit my family. So I'm pretty familiar with (Union Station).
Ozone, when is the last time you were at Union Station or downtown LA? They have just about tripled the population of their downtown in the past decade or so, so yes, downtown LA in general is becoming a much more vibrant and mixed-use neighborhood, and you just haven't been there to see it. I get down to LA once or twice a year, usually via Union Station and downtown, and have seen a lot of positive change even from those visits. In between those visits I follow a lot of downtown LA development, and see the sort of things they are doing. One of those changes was the recently built housing just north of the station, which I mentioned. So maybe my idea of "vibrant" is different from yours, but my last visit to Union Station and the nearby Pueblo de Los Angeles was quite enjoyable, there were events going on around the old Pueblo in addition to in a public plaza alongside Union Station proper.
Quote:
LA's station is configured that way because they designed it that way from the beginning. I guess they had good reason - large number of tracks, alignment and orientation, accommodating the automobile, wishing to highlight LA's great climate, as opposed to the gritty stations back east? I don't know.
Clearly you don't. LA's station has access to the track via an underground tunnel, so it certainly doesn't highlight LA's great climate--it's pretty much the same way that train stations in other cities with worse climates connect the passengers to the trains, either via overhead catwalks or underground tunnels. Sacramento's Southern Pacific depot used underground tunnels, much like the Los Angeles depot did a decade later. Alignment and orientation were also similar, with multiple tracks in parallel behind the depot, and a parking lot and streetcar access in front. The main difference was the difference in size between LA and Sacramento in the 1930s:1.2 million vs about 100,000, plus it was a union station with multiple railroads, while Sacramento had 3 different train stations (one for SP, one for WP, one for the electric interurbans.) But that's another story.
Quote:
But it's not at all the same thing here in Sacramento. But you keep saying it is.
We're the closest station in the western United States to Los Angeles in terms of size and total traffic: they get 1.7 million a year, we get 1.2 million. The next busiest are San Diego, with around 700,000, Portland and Seattle with around 650,000. So yes, the kind of station we are shooting for is more along the lines of LA Union Station than the smaller, more modest passenger facilities in those cities. Our two commuter trains carry as many passengers as LA's commuter train when added together, plus they are preparing for major expansion which means an increase in traffic that will move us closer to their numbers. Their union station rehab plans don't include a lot of increase in train capacity--while we have room for growth in that respect that they don't.

Quote:
Is not the plan to build a whole new depot north of the old one? You call it "Amshack" but will not the new intermodal facility have a drop off, ticketing booths, waiting area, retail/cafe space, etc? The plans I saw were pretty nice. Granted they were a few years ago and this city loves to value engineer proposals down to crap.
No, is not the plan. Plan is to turn the entire area into a larger intermodal complex. And no, the new Amtrak facility won't have its own drop off space--there will not be road access (for cars) north of the historic depot. The larger complex, which includes most of the space between the tracks and the historic depot entrance, will include all of those things, in addition to the other transportation functions like buses, light rail, and streetcar. That's what makes it an "intermodal" depot. Trying to shoehorn everything into a small building close to the tracks would be a very, very tight fit--but, fortunately, there is lots of room.

Quote:
I'm glad you're infatuated with L.A.'s Union Station. And I understand that as a historian you probably would not only want to preserve the building but also maintain it's original purpose as much as possible. I get that. What I don't get is how you possibly imagine the old depot will be anything other than a "grand" pass-through (if even that) once the new station is built? I'd rather see it repurposed into something more than the latest Paragary venture and offices for Amtrak employees (who cares?). OK keep the old waiting area a public right-of-way but let's try and incorporate the old depot into something else like a hotel. Let's not waste the opportunity here. I'm big on historical preservation, but not so much on historical reenactments. That's all I'm saying and going to say on that.
I'm not sure what being a historian has to do with wanting to preserve a building's original purpose--some of my favorite buildings are used for very different uses than their original purposes--it's called "adaptive reuse" and I'm a big fan of it (aka "new uses in old buildings") What I don't like is buildings that become vacant because some opportunist is waiting for an "opportunity" that might come someday, but in the meantime lets a building sit and rot.

This also has nothing to do with reenactment. It's about building a bigger, more expansive transportation facility that requires the large amount of space that is now available between the relocated tracks and the historic depot. As the second busiest train station on this half of the country, with a lot of potential for traffic increase in the near future, we have to provide space for the transportation uses we expect, not just what we have now. What happens when hordes of visitors are trying to pile through Sacramento on train, light rail and bus on the way to or from Republic FC games in the Railyards, Kings games on K Street, or a future TBD Fest on the West Sacramento waterfront? How can we accommodate more commuters from Roseville, Rocklin, Auburn and Elk Grove on higher-frequency commuter trains unless we have a transportation complex that can handle more than a little box next to the tracks?

And you have things backwards--the Amtrak offices are temporarily located in the old depot restaurant space, then they will move into a new building closer to the tracks, which you refer to as the "intermodal depot" but really, the intermodal depot is a combination all of the above, roughly bounded by 5th Street, I Street, and the tracks. And there will certainly be room for a hotel in that complex too--I'm not sure how having the historic depot as part of the complex would prevent that. As to who runs a future restaurant, Paragary is getting on in years, I imagine if a new restaurant or two opens up in the Depot, it would more likely involve someone like Zoellin, Thiemann, Touhy, Ngo or Pechal. Maybe you haven't been keeping up on Sacramento restaurants either?

I'm not sure on what you consider "historic[al] preservation," Ozone. If you mean assuming that Sacramento is a small town and will never need expanded, big-city facilities for things like rail transit, you use a very different definition than I do.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 4:26 AM

Quote:

I sometimes think that folks here don't think big enough when it comes to our train station. A little "Amshack" facility next to the relocated tracks simply does not suffice for the level of passengers Sacramento receives. We're the seventh-busiest Amtrak depot in the country, the second busiest west of Chicago. The fourth and fifth busiest commuter lines, the Capitol Corridor and the San Joaquin meet here--combined, they carry as many as the Pacific Surfliner, whose hub is at LA Union Station. That's before planned expansion of both of those lines (with the proposed third line to Roseville and increased CC and SJ runs) may push us closer to Los Angeles' numbers--or maybe past them. Add to that Gold Line and Green Line light rail trains, once Light Rail is reoriented north and service starts to the Railyards stop, streetcar service (which will drop off passengers at the historic depot), Amtrak buses and local buses, taxicabs (plus Lyft and Uber) and you have a huge mixture of transit uses all coming together, not in a single building, but an entire transit-connected district that will need a lot of space so these different modes don't step all over themselves. Plus, there is plenty of room left over for the ancillary buildings that are useful to an intermodal depot: restaurants, convenience stores, rental car offices, newsstands, travel bureaus and visitor information centers, hotels, and even parking structures to hold rental cars and make room to convert the surface parking lots to public plaza space. And I like LA Union Station's inclusion of housing--I certainly wouldn't mind a condo at the depot with views out onto the Shops and the river from a higher altitude!
With Metrolink at LA union station it makes it a very busy place in which Sac will never achieve. Metrolink alone carrys more than amtrak at LAUS.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 4:59 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web View Post
With Metrolink at LA union station it makes it a very busy place in which Sac will never achieve. Metrolink alone carrys more than amtrak at LAUS.
To the Wikipedia!

Metrolink daily ridership: 42,265

Sacramento RT Light Rail daily ridership: 46,100

Sure, it would be nice if we had heavy commuter rail along the lines of Metrolink or Metra, but we haven't quite reached that point yet. I figure if Capitol Corridor between Placer and Sacramento takes off (and maybe Davis, especially once the food-study campus is built in the Railyards) it might call for something a bit more along those lines--perhaps even something suitable for commuter runs to the north, including Marysville/Yuba City/Chico, but also North Natomas and environs?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 5:24 PM

Quote:
To the Wikipedia!

Metrolink daily ridership: 42,265

Sacramento RT Light Rail daily ridership: 46,100

Sure, it would be nice if we had heavy commuter rail along the lines of Metrolink or Metra, but we haven't quite reached that point yet. I figure if Capitol Corridor between Placer and Sacramento takes off (and maybe Davis, especially once the food-study campus is built in the Railyards) it might call for something a bit more along those lines--perhaps even something suitable for commuter runs to the north, including Marysville/Yuba City/Chico, but also North Natomas and environs?
gold line is comparison to sac RT.......and not all sac RT goes to sac station.....
true not all metrolink does either but I would say 75-80%

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 7:18 PM
Hindrance to Development

Considering our metro area is a tenth the size of theirs, I'd still say we're doing all right in that department--with a lot of room for growth of transit use. Once again, they're planning for a transit center that will meet the needs of the next 20-30-50 years, not just something adequate for what we need today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area