HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 5:34 AM
Fourth and Main

116 W4TH Building:
The drawings show it rising 14 floors above Third Street, with underground parking (accessed from Third Street) and an interesting park space. The park would have an amphitheatre and a dirigible, 50 feet in diameter, made from display screens. The residential/retail high-rise would be constructed from modular units and have two terraced levels with outdoor seating. This architect also worked on two other projects we followed on this thread: AirType Headquarters and The Glade @ West End. Two very well designed projects. I actually like these modern designs. This should be something interesting to discuss, as we wait for finalized Merschel Plaza plans.

Credit: William M. Marion, LEED AP

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 5:38 AM
Fourth and Main

1880 Cupid's Park Theatre Renovation:
Cupid's Park Theatre will be renovated for its 137th anniversary this year. The theater was built in 1880 and was designed by architect Jule Körner. Renovations will be completed in early March. Cupid's Park Theatre is recognized as the first in-home theater in America. The original gaslight fixtures have been up-fitted for electric bulbs. The cupid-themed murals by Caesar Milch, a German artist, will be preserved. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. I will try to post updates on this project, if we can find any. Yes, this will appear on our P&C list.

Credit: tripadvisor.com

Murals by Caesar Milch and pre-electrification gas light fixtures:

Credit: StevenMBeard

We have a growing list of new proposals. I'll try to post them, this week, if I can. I think this project may have started construction, so I'll list it as construction.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 6:48 AM
Fourth and Main

The Journal, which owns JournalNow, Monthly, Relish, and The News & Record, has told us not to use any of their images. If you have any of their images in your posts, please remove them. I think they charge for use of their images? This thread is a free service to the community to share what is happening "visually" with those who don't live in this city. That includes people who have moved-away and still love this city, once attended school here, or maybe they are thinking of investing here, or moving here for work or school and want to follow proposals & construction in this city or the school they are considering. Yes, this is for people who don't live here. I freely give my time to assemble this each week and don't make any money from this and don't charge anyone for it. I don't live in this city and I'm dependent on others for the images used here. This is actually how I keep up with what is happening and I share it with others, so they can, too. Photographing these projects is the one thing I can't do and need your help with. Without the generosity of the photographers, this thread wouldn't exist. Until last week, everyone who has seen their photographs here has supported this effort, including one of the indie newspapers. This is actually great advertising and I love sharing local businesses on this thread. Thank you to all who allow me to use your photography. You are the reason this exists. If you would like to see your construction project or images here, but don't want to post, you can use Instagram and tag your images with the name of the city.

Projects & Construction:

Shah Basketball Complex:
The Basketball Player Development Center is now called the Shah Basketball Complex. Mit Shah is CEO of Noble Investment Group and a part owner of the NBA’s Atlanta Hawks. The Shah Basketball Complex, the Sutton Sports Performance Center, and the Miller Center hydrotherapy will be completed in summer 2018. If you would like to donate to Wake Will, to help support some of these projects, you can do so here: https://secure.www.wfu.edu/giving

Credit: WFU

Strength & Conditioning:

Hydrotherapy, RPX Zero Gravity Chairs, Cryochamber:

I love the Heritage Room!

NoTra Mixed-use Building:
The windows are installed and workers are preparing to install the cladding. I like the design of this building. I've heard, from a very good source, a co-working space may lease an entire floor of this building. A great use for this "modern design" building.

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Kimpton's Cardinal Hotel & Residences:
The Kimpton Cardinal Hotel was named a Four Diamond hotel by AAA Carolinas.

Credit: paulabendfeldt

1794 Boy's School Restoration:
Construction has started on this project. Yes, we can add this project to our construction list! Workers will restore this 223 year-old building into a museum on public education in Winston-Salem and a space for teacher workshops.

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

Corpening Plaza Renovation:
A $137,000 city contract to Miraje Reconstruction and Development will pay for replacing the brackets that hold the precast panels, behind the waterfall, in place. The replacement brackets will be stainless steel. They want to finish the waterfall, so they can turn it on in the Spring. Once that phase is completed, they will work on the other panels and investigate settling issues.

Credit: hawkeyeglobal336

Frogman Interactive Headquarters:
Creative tech company Frogman Interactive will lease the second floor space, overlooking Bookmarks, in Fourth Street's Nash Building. The space is already under construction.

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)
Steel has arrived at the site, along with a crane. I'm guessing they are preparing to start construction on the top floor expansion? Workers have started removing the brick from the north facade for the glass windows. And speaking of windows, workers are finishing work on the windows, by adding the glass to the now restored original steel windows. This project is moving fast.

This person, visiting from Arkansas, seemed impressed with the IQ District:

Credit: jasnelson

Workers are installing glass in the restored steel windows:

Credit: muzzyhasan

Aerial View: (Notice the steel and crane! You can also see where the top floor will be expanded to the north)

Credit: Isaiah Clonch

Credit: Isaiah Clonch

Credit: blazzle

Credit: sweetlikeasong

It appears as if the city's IQ District hosted a large tech conference, attracting several out-of-state visitors?

AFAS Center for the Arts:

Convention Center Renovation:

Credit: twin_city_quarter

Most Popular Cities:
Winston-Salem is among the top 4 favorite cities in the state on Public Policy Polling's "North Carolina Culture Poll." Wilmington and Asheville also made the top 4. The poll was taken of North Carolina residents only. Winston-Salem's ranking is credited to its vibrant downtown, great museums, recreational facilities, great universities, Old Salem Landmark District, and great restaurants. It was also said that Winston-Salem has established itself as a foodie city.

Bookmarks Headquarters & Downtown Bookstore:
It appears as if the back wall, in the breezeway, will remain in place? Everything Viator Design & Construction does is usually very impressive. It's great to see their name connected to this project!

The gray steel beams are new:

Credit: viatordesignandconstruction

Wise Man Brewing - Brewery, Office Space, & Music Venue:
This is our last construction update on this project. You can see workers finishing construction on the brewery. Yes, it is open, if you would like to try their beer and see this amazing space. Later this week, I'll try to post a big photography post to show the finished brewery. I will miss posting updates on this project. It was a fun adaptive-reuse project to follow.

Soft Opening:

Credit: brewchoice

Beer Garden: (You can see the Art Deco bridge and surrounding warehouses through the beautiful new metalwork)

Credit: bg_cnc_fab

New Jobs - Columbiana Hi Tech:
Columbiana Hi Tech is preparing to double the size of their headquarters to 200,000 square feet, to prepare for rapid growth in the nuclear power industry.

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:
WSNC, from the WSTB Forum, is reporting "Walls are going up!"

Pouring the foundation:

Credit: DWSP

607 North Trade Building:

Openings for the windows and door:

Credit: jlrdistrict

Off-Subject:

Wake Forest University Engineering Chair:
Wake Forest University has appointed Olga Pierrakos as chair of the Department of Engineering, which is based in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. She is one of only a few women heading departments of engineering at institutions across the United States. Pierrakos currently serves as Program Director of the Division of Undergraduate Education at the National Science Foundation (NSF) in the Directorate of Education and Human Resources. At the NSF, she manages a $100 million portfolio to strengthen science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education at two and four-year colleges and universities by improving curricula, instruction, infrastructure, advancing research and knowledge, diversity of students and faculty, and efforts of institutional transformation. Her primary focus is on managing a portfolio of investments in engineering education and engineering education research.

Random Photographs:

Hanging Rock / Winston-Salem's Sauratown Mountains:

Credit: Richard Hill1

Credit: vincerabil

Credit: brandievalenzuela

One of the tech company offices in downtown's IQ District:

Credit: hollypavlika

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 5:29 AM
Fourth and Main

There are so many new proposals and completions, I'm starting to fall behind. I want to post them separately, a day apart. That would prevent them from becoming lost in a sea of weekly updates and other proposals/completions. It also helps to reduce the number of photographs-per-page on a thread with few replies. The city's boom is reaching the point where I can't keep up. I'll try to post another tomorrow.

Vade Mecum Springs:
The last standing Victorian mountain spring resort in the Winston-Salem metro will receive $2.1 million in bond money from the state. It's among the last of its kind in North Carolina and the state is looking for ideas on how to adaptively-reuse or restore the property. Friends of the Sauratown Mountains offered tours, last weekend, and sought ideas from the estimated 300 visitors taking the tour. They would like to reopen the hotel and cabins and open a restaurant in the hotel. They may reopen it as a wedding and event center, to raise additional restoration money. Yes, it's close to moving forward and ready to appear on our proposed & construction list! Did you know it was once a circus animal breeding ground? The circus owner removed the animals after he was bitten by a lion. It also sold bottled water from the healing springs, when it opened in the 1800s. People thought it could cure anything. N.C. State University owned it at one time. It has a very interesting history. OBS Landscape is among the firms working on the project and they will present a master plan in September.

It appears to be in great shape. It's very intact and should be an easy restoration for the State. It could become another tourist attract for the Winston-Salem area? This is located in Hanging Rock State Park, which is shown in the "Random Photographs" section of the post above.

Credit: aphotobyashley

You could actually play indoor basketball in this room, at one time:

Credit: edrabin

So, this is what it was like to stay in a resort hotel in the 1800s?

Credit: N.C. Parks

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 6:04 AM
Fourth and Main

Are you waiting for something...

Your wait is over!

Wise Man Brewing - Brewery, Office Space, & Music Venue: Built!
After 16 months, this project is now completed and open! And WOW it's popular! This was an adaptive-reuse project that converted the abandoned and partially collapsed 1929 Angelo Brothers Warehouse into a brewery and taproom with "for lease" office space on the top floor. Another project that proves, even with a collapsed roof and floors, you can still renovate and reuse the building! Wise Man Brewing will offer a wide variety of beers in the taproom. The first five beers include a cream ale, tropical stout, milkshake IPA, triple IPA, and dry-hopped IPA. The brewery has 16 taps and plans to offer 16 different Wise Man beers, but they currently only have 5 beers (as of yesterday), since brewing just started. They are temporarily offering other N.C., beers & ciders in the other 11 taps, until they are needed for new Wise Man brews. In Yes! Weekly, Sam Victory said “What inspired us to start our own brewery was a love of innovation and experimentation. We plan on constantly designing new beers and tweaking old recipes so that our customers always have something new and exciting to try. Founder Jason Morehead said "The challenge was to retain the existing character of the building while breathing new life into the space. We did this by repurposing many of the original building materials during the project.” You can see examples of this in the "wall of windows" that uses old windows from the building to separate the brewing space from the taproom, along with old windows from the building that display the beer menu, and a central light feature made from the building's former security bars. You can expect food trucks (today's food truck is Street Provisions), Geeks Who Drink Monday night trivia (Starting Feb 20), Tuesday yogammunity (starting Feb 21), game areas, and live music. Be sure to visit when you can.

I would like to thank Wise Man Brewing and the people who worked on the project for providing so many great updates. It was fun following this project and there were so many great craftsmen and interesting installations involved. This is a beautiful space! I'm sure many of this thread's readers will visit this business! Thank you again for providing updates!

#CityOfAdaptiveReuse #AuthenticCity

Credit: lizalunavita

Credit: Wise Man Brewing

Polished concrete bar:

Credit: brandon_m_ore

All of the wood framing was recycled from the building's collapsed roof:

Credit: jonlowder13

The taproom has a 37 foot (11.3 metre) polished concrete bar and a 30 foot (9.2 metre) common table, made from a single tree:

Credit: mdbeverly

These windows, separating the brewery from the tap room, are the building's original windows:

Credit: camelcitynightlife

These are empty kegs from opening night!

The Beer Garden:

Credit: janeeannk

The next craft brewery construction project in downtown Winston-Salem should be Fiddlin' Fish Brewing Company, which is currently seeking permits at Big Winston Warehouse, in the downtown Arts District. Fiddlin' Fish is halfway through the permitting review process, as of Monday. I'm guessing they will start construction on their craft brewery in March or April?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 6:31 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
Thank you to the photographers and local businesses who make this thread possible.

An update from forum member RoedigerHouse at the WSTB Forum. Workers are installing the cladding on the south facade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoedigerHouse @ WSTB Forum
Progress as of 05 February 2017:
Twin City Lofts Condominiums:
This project was scheduled for completion in January. It is nowhere near completed. Completion was pushed-back a few more months, while they completely redesigned the project. Due to demand for larger and more upscale units than what was originally proposed, they have reduced the number of condominiums and increased the size of the units. Most of them are purchased, including a full-floor penthouse on the sixth floor. If you want to know if any units are still available, you can call (336) 575-7262. They have also decided to divide the retail space into three smaller retail spaces. It was once a large department store. With the success they had, with this project, I'm guessing we will see another proposal from GEMCAP in the near future? I love the interiors. These are beautiful condominiums.

Credit: yadkinriverkeepernc

The local Business Journal shared 21 photographs of the project and more details in a story. Visit their website to see all of the images and read all of the details. I'll only share a few images that I decreased the size of.

Sites for 20+ Storey Buildings:
According to Smart Growth, the City of Winston-Salem has researched and published a list of sites that are perfect for skyscrapers with 20 or more floors. This information is now available to anyone interested in building high-rises in downtown. Usually, the city doesn't do something like this unless they had a request for the information. That has people talking and asking who is proposing it and where? There are hints, like maybe 27 storeys and mixed-use/residential. It could be PMC Property Group, which is in the process of buying two development sites, including one shown on the high-rise list. They build high-rise apartments and mixed-use. That is just a guess from me, though. Since the city also included height information for existing skyscrapers, it has some asking if we could see a new tallest? I guess we will see what happens.

This is a much larger project than I thought. They are restoring the original 223 year-old building and reconstructing two outdoor structures that once stood at the site. We now have renderings of these structures.

Credit: Old Salem Museums & Gardens

A nice rendering of the entire project:

Outlines of the two new reconstruction projects behind the school:

Interior progress update:

Exterior with construction fence around original 1794 building:

Mission Pizza Napoletana Facade Renovation:
The owner of Mission Pizza Napoletana is reporting the business will have a facade renovation. No details at this time, but work has started.

This building was constructed in 1919 and was once an Oldsmobile & Franklin dealership & repair shop. It was an expansion of the two-storey car dealership building, from 1916, behind it. It later became a Western Auto. Sadly, it has sat abandoned in recent years. It's great to see someone renovating it into two new restaurants. If you would like to learn about the building's history, you can read about it Fam's North Carolina Room Blog. Did you know the Crossfit Building, behind this structure, was designed of solid concrete, with a car elevator, so workers could repair cars on the second floor?

An update on the new roof they are building (the old roof was 98 years old and at risk for collapsing):

Credit: Fam / North Carolina Room

I'm now guessing, from the holes in the wall, they may destroy and paint-over the mural:

They should consider restoring the mural. It looks interesting, with the windows and doors cut into it. Some of the south's most famous blues musicians played along the streets of Winston-Salem's Arts District in the 1920s, 30s, and 40s, when this part of downtown was one of the southeast's major centers of agricultural trade and filled with people. There were so many people, wagons, trucks, etc., you couldn't move in the crowd. And street music filled the air.

Fam also included this interesting photograph from 1911 and said he tell this story, connected to the building, in the near future:

If you're looking at the pennant on the car: "50-15 Winston-Salem" was a goal in 1910 to reach 50,000 people in Winston-Salem by 1915, to become one of the nation's largest cities. This was during the time when Winston-Salem became North Carolina's largest and dominate city and one of the south's top three industrial centers.

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
The site is now closed and they have permits. We are waiting for the official ground breaking, to start construction on this project and add it to our construction list.

Workers are now adding the red paint:

Credit: art_nouveau_ws

Wake Forest University:
Wake Forest University made the 2017 Princeton Review "Colleges That Pay You Back" list.

Morris Building: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)

It appears as if they have boarded the windows:

Credit: jtc3k

Workers cleaning & repairing the brick:

Credit: delbertnuckles

Cutting brick on north wall for new windows: (also note steel on site & brick repair and repointing)

Credit: innovationquarter

Credit: wb256

Credit: wb256

Credit: emilypalcsak

Credit: brittanybutterworthphoto

A look at the cut in the brick wall for a new wall of windows:

Credit: kkcharley

A local radio station photographs the crane installing steel for new floors:

Credit: 987simon

Credit: wingsoverwinston

Credit: theallynetwork

West End Station:
The project has applied for permits and will cost $40 million.

Reboot Arcade Bar:
Remember this project, to open Liberty Street's second barcade? They had a zoning issue and may not open until the end of this month. The owner has enough classic arcade games to open two barcades, so he can rotate the machines (to make any needed repairs).

This image is from January 13. It's sad to see the colorful building painted black & blue. Reboot should be a great addition to Liberty Street, which is becoming the hot street for development, right now.

Credit: Reboot Arcade

Quarry Park:
According to Fox 8, vandals did $70,000 in damage to the park construction site and construction equipment, a week or two ago. In good news, it appears as if the City of Winston-Salem will ask voters to approve bonds next year, which could include the second phase of Quarry Park!

Credit: Fox 8

This will become a massive city park. Look at the size of it.

This photographer does amazing work:

Credit: wayupmedia

Alternative Transportation:

Bike Share:
The IQ District is surveying people on the future bike share. I'm thinking they may sponsor it? It's moving a step closer to happening. Right now, Winston-Salem has a few free bike shares, largely used to advertise commercial real estate companies or as neighborhood amenities. I would like to see a larger city-wide bike share.

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)
According to the city, a bridge over Fourth Street is currently being installed. An older railroad bridge, over Seventh Street, will be removed today and a new bridge will replace it tomorrow or Thursday.

These new bridges will have color-changing LED lights:

Credit: turner.christy

Credit: turner.christy

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:
During a meeting, to discuss city priorities, city leaders discussed ensuring Union Station can accommodate as many travel modes as possible, including rail, bus, bicycle, and pedestrians.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: victoriamajor88

I wish someone would restore this building to its original appearance (Artists use it as a rentable photography studio):

Credit: 3cs_signs

Credit: thisissk8

Credit: stevewaiksnoris

Credit: 3cs_signs

I love these creative/tech company workplaces in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District:

Credit: archi_transformation

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 6:13 AM
Fourth and Main

901 North Trade:
Work is now starting on this project, which will convert the former E.G. Forrest produce warehouses, on the far north end of downtown, into retail/restaurant/entertainment space. Perkins / East Coast Capital is the developer. I haven't heard a GC or an architect connected to the project? I waited for renderings and more details, but didn't find any. This entire multi-block area was a Produce District, on the north end of downtown. Over the past few years, it has become part of a Downtown Entertainment District. I'm guessing Combs Wholesale Produce is the last produce company operating in the district? They have been there since the 1930s. Projects like these should reduce the number of large trucks driving through downtown at all hours of the day. #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

Have you seen what Pittsburgh is doing at their Strip District Produce Terminal? It would be awesome to see something like that in Winston-Salem's Produce District.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 1:30 PM

Planning for the Future

Quote:
The City-County Planning Board staff has identified 14 sites in the downtown Winston-Salem core as potential sites for future high-rise buildings.

The listing was done to help developers who might request information about building high-rises, officials said. The listing also recommends putting such buildings in downtown.

Paul Norby, director of city-county planning and development services, said that the information on the potential high-rise sites is similar to development atlases created by planners that cover the rest of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County.

Norby said that planners have a variety of atlases that show, for example, some sites for people interested in industrial development, or multi-family development or commercial development.

The information is to let developers know “here are sites that are already zoned or are adopted land-use plans recommended for those uses,” Norby said.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 7:00 AM
Fourth and Main

There is talk a developer asked for that information and the city made it for that developer. It could be Lennar Multifamily Communities, Grubb Properties, a Triangle-area developer, or maybe PMC Property Group, which is in the process of buying one of those sites. It's something exciting to follow, over the next few months.

Projects & Construction:
Thank you to the photographers, architects, and local businesses who make this thread possible.

West End Station:
I found a better rendering from the architect. It shows the other side (Green Street side) of the building, which we haven't seen on this thread. The project is now shown with 229 residential units, two courtyards (including a pool), and parking under the building. Construction will begin in Summer 2017.

Credit: Axiom Architecture

Best Places to Live:
U.S. News & World Report ranked Winston-Salem the 37th best place to live in the United States and the best place to live in the Triad. U.S. News ranked 100 cities using surveys from local residents, data from the U.S. Census Bureau, FBI, and the Bureau of Labor and Statistics. It also considered its past rankings for “Best High Schools” and “Best Hospitals.” Austin was #1, followed by Denver, San Jose and Washington D.C.,.

1802 Vierling House Restoration:
We haven't seen an update on this project in a long time! It's a conversion of a 215 year-old house into a local museum of science and medicine.

Credit: southernreverie

Center for Design Innovation:
Yes, it's built, but I wanted to share the sign installation from Friday. The sign was installed on a part of the building known as "The Cube," which is a large-scale experimental space. The Cube is an audio, visual, and computational 'building as instrument' that supports research and creative productions in areas such as immersive performance, data visualization, 3D cinema, augmented reality, and motion capture.

Credit: WFIQ

You can see the 34-storey Wells Fargo Center in the bottom left corner:

Credit: WFIQ

Maya Angelou Hall:
The reason I couldn't find many photographs or any information on the opening is due to the ribbon-cutting ceremony being held on February 17. Well over a month after it was completed. If you are a student or professor and would like to attend, it starts at 3 p.m.,. Angelou’s grandson, Elliott Jones, will speak. Legendary singer and songwriter Valerie Ashford Simpson will perform a musical tribute.

Ten trucks of concrete poured the floor for the southern expansion of the convention center on Friday.

411 West Fourth / Chamber Building:

Triad Semiconductor Expanding - New Tech Jobs:
Triad Semiconductor is raising money and preparing to create more jobs, as their products outperform the company's expectations in virtual reality gaming. They are expecting to double their revenue this year. Their Winston-Salem headquarters employs mostly design and engineering workers. The company recently appeared on Inc. Magazine's list of the nation's fastest growing companies.

Credit: shreddyroosevelt

Credit: dorothy.a.milligan

Workers have started excavation for the reconstruction of the Piazza and the Woodshed, that were built in 1798 and demolished in 1885. Work on the reconstructions is temporarily delayed, due to finding a small trash pit that was located in what was the Woodshed. An archaeologist is digging and finding coins from the mid-1800s, bottles, old pencils, writing slates, and more. These two reconstructed spaces will provide additional space for visitor education and engagement. The original 1794 public school building, to be restored, was for students between 6 and 14 years-old.

Credit: willpartin

Credit: aish.warrior

Brick repair and repointing:

Credit: stlockwood

Credit: detroitdowdy

Credit: astronautcrew

Credit: salsbufr

Credit: rosebaf

Kaleideum Science Museum:
The merged SciWorks and Children's Museum will be called Kaleideum, which is a combination of the words kaleidoscope & museum. The name is projected on the former bank building, on Third Street, they will expand and convert into their new downtown museum. It appears as if Gensler and STITCH Design Shop will be the architects for this project.

Former bank building they will expand and convert into their new downtown museum:

New Downtown Bookstore:
Are you ready for a third downtown Winston-Salem bookstore? Bright Leaf Books will open at 229 West Fifth Street, in March. The bookstore will stock new and used literary fiction and scholarly titles, periodicals, small gifts, and fine writing supplies. "Downtown Winston-Salem is a diverse and vibrant neighborhood, and a prime location for a new bookstore," Samuel Puliafito said. "We look forward to engaging with the area and providing a literary refuge in the heart of downtown." Puliafito has been a lifelong book collector and a part-time online bookseller. He received the T. Kimball Brooker Prize for Undergraduate Book Collecting from the University of Chicago and is a member of the Caxton Club.

Completion is now set for May. A majority of the units are pre-sold. There seems to be a large number of out-of-state executives buying them.

Credit: Linville | Team Partners

Plaza Building & Galleria:
This is a very rare update on the Plaza Building project! The last photographic update on this construction project was Jun 7, 2016! Though it is one of the biggest construction projects in the city and is being constructed as the headquarters for one of the city's three Fortune 500 companies, it seems impossible to find updates on this project! I'm still excited about plans to add retail spaces and a water feature. I wish we had renderings of the water feature and other changes.

Construction on the Plaza Building's new skybridge:

Credit: RAI_News

Bridge installation:

Credit: stimmelpa

High Line View (beautiful Cor-Ten Steel):

Remember the Third Street entry plaza, with former coal yard light tower & Long Branch Trail bike ramp access:

Credit: curiousartist

I think they kept the coal yard sign? I see it to the left of the trail sign, above.

Future Light Rail Transportation (LRT) Line, fenced-off until needed:

Credit: curiousartist

Off-Subject:

New Downtown Mural:
This is on the side of the old Miller's Department Store Building.

Credit: dennis_wells_art

Random Photographs:

Bank of America Building:

Credit: astudioartist

An older image from Spring 2013:

Credit: brynhafephotography

Credit: skylerbrownphoto

Credit: willowsbistro

Happy Valenties Day:

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 6:37 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
Thank you to the photographers, universities, and local businesses who make this thread possible.

WSSU Residence Hall:
I should've posted this on Friday. I'll make it the lead project on this update! The latest proposal is a new 5-storey unnamed residence hall, to be constructed on the WSSU campus. The new building will replace Dillard Hall. Demolition has started on Dillard Hall. The architect is Lord Aeck Sargent and the building will have 282 beds, 9 advisor beds, and 2 apartments. Completion is set for August 2018. If you are a professor or student at Winston-Salem State University, you can register here at SSP and help keep the thread up-to-date on this project.

Credit: WSSU

This is on the main level:

Credit: spark_by_design

Quarry Park:

Credit: simplyamazing26

Choreographic Institute:
The Choreographic Institute will open in Winston-Salem this summer. It will be led by Helen Pickett, Ethan Stiefel, and Susan Jaffe. The institute will open with two programs: the Choreographic Development Residency for emerging choreographers of exceptional promise and the Choreographic Professional Residency for contemporary ballet choreographers of exceptional talent. Jaffe and Stiefel will work with eight professional dancers who will be in residence in Winston-Salem. Pickett will mentor two contemporary dance and two contemporary ballet choreographers in the creation of new dance works to be performed in downtown Winston-Salem's Stevens Center for the Performing Arts.

Reboot Arcade Bar:

Painting murals inside Liberty Street's second barcade:

Credit: surly82

Clean Energy Headquarters:
It appears as if a clean energy headquarters "could" be moving to Winston-Salem's Downtown Arts District, on Trade Street? I'm still trying to confirm the location. This company builds and operates renewable energy power plants in multiple states.

You can see the city's tallest and second tallest skyscrapers in this photograph (Left side of photograph):

Credit: winstonwatchman

International Design Awards:
Fifth Letter won a HOW International Design Award in Signage & Environmental Graphics for their work at their downtown Winston-Salem headquarters (803 North Trade Street Building / Downtown Arts District). Very awesome!

418 North Marshall Street:
We have a rendering of the courtyard and a description of the project, which will reuse the former Journal Complex. They are currently seeking proposals from artists to provide art for different spaces in the development. If you're interested, check with the Arts Council for more details. On the subject of the building, it will be redeveloped as a mixed-use project, with restaurants, entertainment, and design/office space for creative companies. At least two creative tenants appear to have leased space.

Proposed:

Credit: Arts Council

Currently:

Credit: davidedwardjohnson

Credit: leonardrydenburrrealestate

Alley view:

Credit: carls51

Aviation College:
Architecture firm Walter Robbs was hired to help plan this project and will assist in site selection for the first 100,000 square foot building. After the site is selected, the college will seek bids from architects to design the look and layout of the campus.

Breakthrough Co-Work Space:
Downtown's IQ District will soon have a new co-working space. It's called Breakthrough and will be located at 111 North Chestnut Street, on the second floor. The space will have a fitness center, a meeting room, training room, personal trainer, zoo passes, on-site dry cleaning, chamber membership, classes, and more. The opening is scheduled for March 6. Construction has already started. If you're interested in the co-work space, call Matthew McKeown: (336) 406-4305 Breakthrough Co-work has 101 spaces available.

Credit: Breakthrough Co-Work

Credit: Breakthrough Co-Work

The Porch Kitchen and Cantina is in lease talks to open a "new concept" in one of the two restaurant spaces on the building's eastern side. There is also talk of a Maker Space and there was a page for it, but it's shown as a place holder. It's also worth noting a big crawler crane is now on the site and I'm guessing it will be used to construct the addition to the top floor? Are you ready to see steel rise at the site?

Big Crawler Crane:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtws @ WSTB Forum
Big Crawler Crane from Winston-Salem's High Line:

Credit: clarkdotbrad

Credit: shaunstripling_

Replacing the temporary plywood cap:

Credit: hughjeffner909

Repointing:

Credit: dariawestervelt

Credit: jeremythorne

Same crane, at night:

Credit: muzzyhasan

Credit: tilly0044

Credit: lifeannotations

U.S. Olympic Cycling Training Center:
Business NC is reporting the center's Community Olympic Development Program was approved by the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC) and is now up-and-running.

Credit: bookmarksnc

8 North Carolina Chocolates to Try Right Now:
Two downtown Winston-Salem chocolate makers are on the "8 North Carolina Chocolates to Try Right Now" list from a food writer at the Wilmington Star-News. Black Mountain Chocolate, at 732 N. Trade Street, is cited for its factory experience as well as its taste: "A worthy destination for anyone passing through Winston-Salem, this chocolatier offers self-guided and guided tours of its facility to witness the magic of beans transforming into everyone's favorite sweet." Brasstown Fine Artisan Chocolate, located at 1151 Canal Drive, was also on the list: "Beans from Belize, the Dominican Republic and other Latin American locales are mixed with natural cane sugar, organic cacao butter and powdered whole milk at this Winston-Salem confectioner's facility."

Fiddlin' Fish Brewing Company:
They have permits and this project is now starting construction!

Credit: Fiddlin' Fish Brewing Co.

Workers are clearing the space:

Credit: itsjustjordan_13

Reclaimed heart of pine from a Trade Street building constructed in 1912. This will become a table:

Credit: clarkdotbrad

Off-Subject:

Historic Windows:
Etched in a window of the Single Brothers' House, built in the 1760s: "Van N. Zevely was sick the 29th day of November 1803" Yes, this piece of glass is that old!

Random Photographs:

Credit: dorothy.a.milligan

Filming a movie at Mill 800 Apartments:

Credit: clarkhuntleyivers

Credit: hmbien

A really nice view:

Credit: heatherdoll

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 5:41 AM
Fourth and Main

Seasons at Water's Edge:
Some of this is from the architect's artist statement: "Introducing contemporary West Coast design to the East Coast." TCA, a Los Angeles-based architect, introduces a development that celebrates the ever changing dynamics of Winston-Salem's four seasons. It boasts opportunities for views and pedestrian connectivity to the water for both residents and visitors. Traditional building materials are used in timeless forms and a focus is placed on blurring the lines between indoor and outdoor spaces. Each retail and residential component has its own unique identity, yet is complimentary to the context of the community. Seasons at Water’s Edge is a destination experience where residents and visitors enjoy a unique vibrant community with a refreshing encounter with nature. Completion is set for Late 2018. The development will have 102,000 square feet of retail and around 615,000 square feet of residential. The development is also designed for bicycles, with neighborhood bike path access to Winston-Salem's bike routes. Separated bicycle paths will connect everything in the development. It appears as if the developer is from the Los Angeles area and is buying an older development on a lake, near a City of Winston-Salem-owned golf course, to demolish it and replace it? It's not too far from downtown. It's also near an under-construction grade separated bike highway to downtown. They have talked about the city's tech boom, so this is another development attracted by it.

I'll look for more renderings and may try to make another post on this proposal before the next weekly update.

Credit: TCA Architects

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 6:58 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
Someone from the planning department was interviewed in one of the local newspapers about downtown development. He said we can expect mixed-use high-rise building proposals. And this is someone who would know what to expect next for downtown. As was said before, they wouldn't make that list of suitable high-rise sites if they didn't have interest from someone. At least two newspapers have published articles telling us to also expect big retail announcements in the next few months. We have many reasons to be excited about development news in 2017.

Thank you to the photographers, universities, and local businesses who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. We have a massive update this week and a large number of images to be thankful for. I'm currently learning more about a new downtown mixed-use project and "maybe" I can share on SSP it later this week?

A nice reminder of how beautiful the water garden is:

Credit: glorytn

Workers have installed new sod:

Credit: bennyboy827

Frogman Interactive Headquarters:
This is an older photograph of the creative company's adaptive-reuse headquarters project. They are renovating a 1928 building. #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

Credit: Frogman Interactive

Herbalife Innovation Center Expansion:
Herbalife now employs more than 1,000 people in Winston-Salem. This is 42% of the company's United States employees. Winston-Salem also has roughly half of the company's headquarters operations. Some employees relocated to Winston-Salem from the Los Angeles area for the science/research and headquarters jobs. CEO Michael Johnson described the building as a center of commerce and innovation. He has selected Winston-Salem to host the Herbalife Nutrition Distributor Conference, which will bring 3,000 distributors from around the world to Winston-Salem to see the building.

Does anyone know if the building expansion is completed? It was expected to double the company's employment, with headquarters jobs and tech jobs. It appears as if employment has doubled? Maybe the grand opening is set for the day of the distributor conference?

It appears as if the big crawler crane is constructing interior floors? When the interior floors are complete, I'm guessing they will start work on the top floor expansion?

Credit: HuWomack

Credit: lizcharlotta

Credit: edmcneal

Repointing:

Credit: wayupmedia

Credit: halfway_south

Manufacturing Job Growth:
Winston-Salem ranks 1st in North Carolina and 17th in the United States in manufacturing job growth between 2011 and 2016, with 15.1% growth. Louisville was ranked 1st in the nation, with 27.2% growth, followed by Nashville, with 27% growth.

Mission Pizza Napoletana Facade Renovation: Built!
A Sunday night view of the completed exterior renovation at Mission Pizza Napoletana. Be sure to visit and enjoy a pizza. This is in the downtown Arts District.

Yes, that is a walk-up window on the sidewalk:

Credit: missionpizzaws

The project will have an all-day restaurant and a retail tenant. Both spaces should have signed leases by the middle of next month. Demolition is completed on the basement and main-level. The office space should be ready by December. They are working to open-up the space and use as much glass as possible. This should flood the space with natural light. The office space is designed for creative/tech companies and includes a collaborative common area. They will create larger windows for the restaurant, along with a second kitchen in the basement. GEMCAP is the general contractor.

The architect provides a look at the creative/tech company office space:

Growing Number of Renters:
According to research from Abodo, 40.2% of Winston-Salem residents live in apartments (rent). This number is growing, as we clearly see with the large number of apartments discussed on this thread. These apartments are also mostly in the downtown area. The national average is 36.4% of people renting apartments and that number is rising. So, Winston-Salem is above average. The renters are younger and often between 25 and 34 years old. Winston-Salem's downtown apartment vacancy rate is around 4%, as of January 2017.

Reynolds Athletic Complex:
We haven't seen an update on this project in a long time! I'm sure there are several readers who are waiting for this to open. Workers are renovating this 1950s building into a modern athletic complex.

"Workers drill a test hole for new pilings that will reach sixty feet down to bedrock."

Demolition and expansion of an old swimming pool from the 1950s:

I find the pool demolition interesting. They are demolishing original 1950s seating and an original 1950s pool.

This is the same swimming pool from last month: (notice the few remaining original 1950s recessed lights on the far right ceiling)

American Planning Association - Great Rehabilitation:
The Kimpton Cardinal Hotel, in downtown Winston-Salem, was recognized by the APA as a Great Historic Rehabilitation.

This appears to be from a magazine?

Credit: thecardinalws

If you're interested in buying, call (336) 779-9200 From what I've heard, these are selling fast, so call as soon as possible.

I enlarged it, to show more detail:

The model condominium now has furniture and window treatments:

Credit: Movoto

Credit: film_brilliant

Credit: leonardrydenburrrealestate

These two are recent (from Sunday):

Credit: Leonard Ryden Burr Real Estate

Credit: Leonard Ryden Burr Real Estate

It's small, but aerials provide a nice view of this project:

1802 Vierling House Restoration:

Credit: humblechristine

Salem Lake Marina:

Credit: Nic

Reboot Arcade Bar:
The circuitry is created using painters tape. The walls are now ready for paint.

This brewery will have large industrial windows, originally from the Nissen Wagon Works, allowing visitors in the taproom to look into the brewing area. It will also have roll-up glass doors and some of the spools you see will become tables. Construction will be completed around August and the brewery is expected to open in Fall 2017, with 16 beer taps and a selection of wines. Look for live music at the new brewery.

Credit: Fiddlin' Fish Brewing

Removing the windows from the historic Nissen Wagon Works factory to reuse at Fiddlin' Fish Brewing Co.,.

Credit: Fiddlin' Fish Brewing

Hotel Indigo:
Work has slowed-down while they piece together a deal that will significantly expand this project. I think they want to build Hotel Indigo and the Staybridge Suites / Piedmont Federal Office Building together, since they may demolish the back side and cover it with the new building? They also appear to want the two hotels to share a valet / luggage drop-off area?

Credit: piercerkh

Quarry Park:

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Volcanic rock cliffs:

This is the restroom building:

Credit: xanadi

Credit: Jon Fullerton

Credit: Jon Fullerton

Credit: roedigerhouse

Credit: wsambassadors

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: blackhorsestudio

One of my favorites posted in this thread:

Credit: wesr101

Credit: roedigerhouse

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 6:17 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
Thank you to the photographers and local businesses who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen.

And we lead this week with the biggest story. I was too busy to make a mid-week post and I apologize for that.

National Sports Media Association Headquarters & Hall of Fame:
WBTV is reporting: The National Sports Media Association will move their headquarters to Winston-Salem. Since the 1950s, the National Sports Media Association has honored the best in national sports media and the best in sports media from each state. The headquarters move will be completed next month and Winston-Salem will host their national awards ceremony June 25-26, which will bring the nation's best sports reporters and several sports stars to Winston-Salem. Mayor Allen Joines said "We are so honored that this prestigious organization has chosen Winston-Salem for its new corporate headquarters and home to the annual Hall of Fame and Awards gala weekend." The National Sports Media Hall of Fame is also moving to Winston-Salem. They have not disclosed the building they selected. This sounds like something that would move to downtown?

A good look at the convention center expansion:

Credit: twincityhive

Credit: linvilleteam

Raining at the construction site of this adaptive reuse project:

Credit: sam_stone

Workers are removing sections of the old concrete floor and installing new plumbing.

Credit: sir_hunter_

Credit: misterdjjd

Credit: chazzviolin

Credit: vinniemessina

The O'Hanlon:

I can tell they are currently renovating floors 3-6:

Credit: art_nouveau_ws

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: createyrcty

Credit: film_brilliant

Central on 5th:

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

Credit: peaceisworthfightingfor

Credit: _nishamary

HammerHead has joined the list of companies working on this project.

Credit: hammerhead_built

Quarry Park:

Reboot Arcade Bar:

Painting is completed:

Did they turn the water back on in the water garden? Maybe for testing? I see water in the reflecting pond? I also see the precast waterfall panels on the ground?

Credit: heatherdoll

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: jimmytheink

Did you know: Winston-Salem has the most National Historic Landmarks:

Credit: Bill Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by National Park Service
National Historic Landmarks (NHLs) are nationally significant historic places designated by the Secretary of the Interior because they possess exceptional value or quality in illustrating or interpreting the heritage of the United States.

Of over 85,000 places listed on the country's National Register of Historic Places, only some 2,500 are recognized as National Historic Landmarks.

Credit: vargmoder

Credit: ellienore

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 5:39 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
Thank you to the photographers and local businesses who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen.

It is very rare to find any photographs of this office/retail/condominium project! I think this project is completed or waiting on a CO? When I hear it is officially completed and "if" I can find enough photographs, I'll try to post a completion post for this project. I'm really surprised by the low number of photographs. This is a nice addition to the Downtown Arts District. I noticed the yellow was sadly missing. Maybe they haven't installed the yellow artwork and that could be the finishing step? I guess we will see what happens?

Our first look at the back side of this building:

Credit: FON

Hotel Indigo:
I doubt this will be completed in September 2017, as the developers said last year. I'm guessing it "could" be completed around the start of the Spring 2018 International Home Furnishings Market?

Credit: beautifulidiotclothing

Reboot Arcade Bar:
Workers moved arcade games into the space on Sunday afternoon. This project isn't on our first page "Proposed & Construction" list, but I will post a few updates on it, as I find them.

Depot District:
Bull City Ciderworks will buy their property in the Depot District and acquire an adjacent property for expansion. Depot District is the adaptive reuse of an 18 acre former furniture factory complex into a mixed-use TOD (Transit Oriented Development) around an Amtrack station.

National Black Theatre Hall of Fame and Museum:

Credit: Jim Babb

Bailey Power Plant Building 23-1: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)
Architects are now working on ideas for the smokestacks. Anything STITCH Design Shop does is awesome, so if they create an idea for these smokestacks, I'm prepared for something amazing.

This week, we have a few inside views. If you're interested in touring a unit or buying, call: (336) 779-9602

Credit: Twin City Lofts

Credit: Twin City Lofts

Central on 5th:
Deedee Morrison of Birmingham, AL., was selected as the artist for a new sculpture in the Reading Garden. Morrison’s proposal is for an 8 foot tall (nearly 2.5 metres tall) stainless steel book on a Cor-ten steel easel. The text will be cut out of the face of the pages and the sculpture will be lit from within so that the lettering of the text will be illuminated at night and spill light into the area surrounding the sculpture.

Artist's Website: http://www.deedeemorrisonsculpture.com

BB&T Financial Center:
The Piedmont Club will close this weekend. BB&T has decided not to sublease space in their building for the fine dining club. This will allow the banking and insurance company to expand in their headquarters tower. The club opened in the building in 1987. BB&T is one of Winston-Salem's three Fortune 500 headquarters and is now the only tenant in their downtown headquarters tower.

Linville | Team Partners was selected to lease the Bailey Power Plant development's first phase. If you're interested in leasing in this office/retail/entertainment complex, call (336) 724-1715

A look inside the smokestacks:

A rare look at the inside:

Credit: Susan Smith

Credit: carlin_cas

Credit: dan_hansen_

The Good Morning Show, on News 2, was at the construction site:

Credit: News 2

Credit: News 2

Workers are installing the corrugated metal decking on the new floors:

Credit: dwood0322

Credit: mattlankford1

Credit: librarianbyday17

Credit: nell.perry

Completed "on ramp" for the Long Branch bike & walking path:

Credit: seegarsfence

I love the use of Cor-ten Steel in new projects in Winston-Salem.

Elevated path:

Credit: donnyadonai

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

This fireplace is in a Victorian home in Winston-Salem's West End:

Credit: Air B&B

Credit: the_detailed_muse

Credit: librarianbyday17

Yes, this 183-acre wildlife preserve is inside the city limits and is part of a National Landmark District:

Credit: bowlingalleylawyer

Businesses around Canal Street:

Credit: theporchws

Streamline Art Moderne Airport Terminal, by Chicago architect Howard Cheney:

Credit: clemens.beier

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 5:43 AM
Fourth and Main

Instead of posting construction photographs of several projects that receive no replies/interest from the forum, why don't we just post the latest news, like other threads. It's easier on me. If you have construction photographs and would like to share your construction photographs on this thread, please do so.

500 West Fifth Street:
After several developers fought for this building, we now finally have a winner. No surprise, it includes tech company jobs! Flow will move their headquarters to this 21-storey tower. Flow will consolidate their offices from the Carolinas and Virginia into the space, creating 225 new jobs in downtown Winston-Salem. Flow said the building will have 600 total employees. A new headquarters in downtown is always great news! Flow would like for this to become a city commons for tech entrepreneurs who want to start a business. The renovated building will have retail/restaurant spaces and Flow will create a 35,000 square foot incubator space called Winston Starts, for area college/university students interested in starting new tech companies. Construction could begin as soon as April, with completion scheduled for September 2017 (5 months of construction). This will be a great renovation of this building. There is also talk of renovating the skyscraper's former cafeteria space into a space that is open to the entire community. Very awesome! For those who don't know: Flow offers a monthly subscription service through a phone app that provides an alternative to car ownership or leasing. About the building: This skyscraper was originally the Integon Life Insurance headquarters (Integon Tower) when it opened in May 1980. This will be a major renovation, bringing it back to Class A status.

It's a beautiful skyscraper, from California architect Welton Becket Associates, with mountain views!

Credit: shadowknoll

Link Apartments Downtown:
Grubb Properties has proposed their third new apartment development for downtown Winston-Salem, as they seek to take the lead as the top apartment developer in downtown Winston-Salem. Link Apartments Downtown will be located on Fourth Street's Restaurant Row, at 501 West Fourth Street. The building will have 11,500 square feet of retail/restaurant spaces, 82 parking spaces under the building, electric vehicle charging stations, a bike commuter center (including a place to lock-up your bike and a place to work on it), and 240 apartments. The cost: $48 million. To build this, the Security Life & Trust Building, built in 1951, will have to be demolished, at a cost of $1.65 million. Don't be too concerned. The Security Life & Trust Building was North Carolina's first modernist office building, but it was renovated beyond recognition in a 1960s reclad, when all of the windows were removed, except for the stairwells. Yes, it's now an ugly windowless box.

Possibly an old 2015 rendering for the site?

Credit: Grubb Properties Fund V

This could be a 2015 design for the site? The 2015 design was for 200 apartments and 11,500 square feet of retail in a 6-storey building that would cost around $24 million. The $48 million project should be at least 7 floors and some reports are saying this could reach 10 floors, but we shall see what happens. I do agree, that isn't a $48 million building with a nearly $40 million property value. It looks like the $24 million 2015 proposal. The architecture firm BB+M's numbers seem to show whatever is proposed here will have to be at least 7 floors. Construction is expected to begin in the next 12 months.

A 1967 view of the 1951 Security Life & Trust Building to be demolished:

Credit: Winston Time Traveler

Fifth Street Park:
We could see a new downtown park at Fifth & Poplar. Not many details at this time, but it is something we can follow over the next few weeks. This is something I just heard about on Monday. A developer will build it and I don't think there is any city/county involvement in the park space?

Last edited by Matthew; Mar 21, 2017 at 11:55 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:00 AM
Fourth and Main

Someone contacted me and gave a good reason to continue posting the photographic updates, so I made a fast update to post. If I continue posting these updates, I should merge some of the new proposals and completions into the main weekly post. I'm often behind on posting them individually. There are a few new proposals I still haven't posted.

Projects & Construction:

Credit: Jim Pica

"We poured a fresh concrete slab today! This 6" slab will support the weight of our brewing equipment. We're another step closer to serving Fiddlin' Fish beers in downtown Winston-Salem!"

Credit: fiddlinfishbrewing

David F. Couch Ballpark: Built!
An amazing renovation of a 1956 Carolina League ballpark into a modern college ballpark. I guess this is an adaptive reuse project, converting a minor league ballpark into a college ballpark? The official name is Gene Hooks Field at David F. Couch Ballpark.

Credit: Patrick McCarren

Credit: Mark Ragsdale

Central on 5th:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Thomasville Furniture Factory Adaptive Reuse:

Credit: jsilkstonephotos

Immigrants Are Welcome Here:
Winston-Salem's programs to help immigrants won first place from the National League of Cities' City Culture Diversity Awards.

Credit: WFU News

The Cambridge Innovation Center's Venture Café will open in October 2017 in Bailey Power Plant.

Credit: shootyourpassion

Wake Forest University Soccer Renovations:
Wake Forest University has broken ground on millions in renovations to their soccer facilities. Yes, this is under construction! The fields will be leveled with new sod, four kicking walls will be integrated into an existing brick wall, new lighting, new goals, a new fence, new netting, a new field audio system, a new windscreen, and a state-of-the-art irrigation system will be installed. The press box will also be renovated to accommodate the ACC Network, including new HVAC. I.L. Long Construction is the General Contractor for this project. The new Bermuda grass will be golf-course quality.

Completed renovation of 1969 underground tunnel:

Herbalife Innovation Center Expansion: Built!

Credit: sandracano1111

Wise Man Brewing - Brewery, Office Space, & Music Venue:
Will this project reappear on our construction list, soon? Since their opening in January, Wise Man has been overwhelmed! They struggle to keep up with the demand for their beer and are already expanding. They have accelerated their growth plans, hired more people, and ordered more fermentation tanks! They are currently working on plans to package and distribute their beer throughout the region. As their way of saying thank you to downtown Winston-Salem, they will hold a large party this Saturday, at noon, with live music. This will also be the first time the brewery will have only its beers on tap, with 14 different Wise Man beers to try.

All of the breweries in downtown Winston-Salem are extremely popular, with large crowds. If you're thinking of opening a brewery, downtown Winston-Salem is a great location for it. This brewery is already struggling to make enough beer to keep up with high demand and they have only been open for two months!

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: samdog_07

The O'Hanlon:

Our first look inside:

Bike Share:
Winston-Salem's bike share is ready to begin construction. The city will pay nothing for the bike share. It's 100% paid for, through advertising, and USA Cycling's National Cycling Center (on Liberty Street in downtown Winston-Salem) will build the bike share and be in charge of it. They already have the advertisers in place. The NCC has a contract with Zagster, which they said is the biggest bike share in the nation. The NCC will begin docking station installation when they have final permission from the city to install the docking stations on city property. Winston-Salem's bike share would start with 50 bikes (10 stations in the downtown area with 5 bikes at each station) and expand outward with more bikes in areas with high demand. The bikes can be rented with an app on your smart phone or a card, for those without smart phones. There are daily, monthly, and annual plans. The city could vote on the project next month. If approved, construction will be completed on the bike share in May 2017. This will replace a collection of smaller free bike shares around the city. Winston-Salem will have North Carolina's second bike share system.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

All of these buildings are 88-127 years old! I didn't know about this small outdoor space:

Eye doctor's (optometric) office in downtown Winston-Salem:

West End Neighborhood:

Credit: mandamcc23

Brookstown Neighborhood:

Credit: kylecaudle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Angelou
“Cambridge, Massachusetts, seemed to have all I wanted: history, universities, a mixture of races, great bookstores, churches and places to party on Saturday night.

“Only Winston-Salem, North Carolina, with all the same assets, vied with Cambridge … Winston-Salem is in the Piedmont; it is literally at the foot of the mountains. The mountains that lean over us are the Great Smokies and the Blue Ridge … I fell for the soft singing accent of the natives …”

—The late poet, actress, and professor Maya Angelou

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:37 PM

I've always thought that WS has a nice mix of swish and grit.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:31 PM

I look forward to your weekly updates, Matthew. Please continue to post.

Here is a first look at a "Deaconized" LJVM Coliseum!

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2017/1/...-joel-coliseum

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2017/1/...-joel-coliseum

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 5:28 AM
Fourth and Main

Winston-Salem is a northern post-industrial city in North Carolina. Tech companies and millennials' love of authentic cities with an older building stock has created a nice construction boom.

Wow, the coliseum upgrades look great! Thank you for sharing those renderings.

Projects & Construction:

500 West Fifth Street:
It's now official: They have final approval. The developer of this project will begin acquisition of the 21-storey tower this week and construction is expected to begin next month. It will become a tech hub, with offices and ground-level retail.

Credit: grace.norris

640 West Fourth Hotel:
dtws at the WSTB Forum reported seeing a survey crew on the site last week.

West End Marketplace Apartments:
This developer is back with a 144 apartment (100 two bedroom apartments and 44 one bedroom units) proposal, built around a parking deck. It will have 26 bicycle parking spaces. This is located near BB&T Ballpark.

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Winkler Bakery Project?
Could we see a new proposal for the second floor of the 217 year-old Winkler Bakery? Old Salem shared this, with the photograph below: "Second floor of Winkler Bakery. Something special coming soon..." Winkler Bakery is the oldest working bakery in the United States. So, what do you think they may open on the second floor? A restaurant is my guess? It could be a museum on baking? Maybe Moravian cooking classes? We will have to wait and see...

Credit: oldsaleminc

Salem Lake Marina:
Yes, this is inside the city limits, near downtown!

An older photograph:

Credit: sokunhourn

This building will open on May 6. Yes, just a little over five weeks from now. It will have a jewelry store on the ground floor. STITCH Design Shop has selected the office space, on the top floor, as their new headquarters/office. Neil Craver, from the NBC-TV show American Ninja Warrior, could also join the list of people in this building?

I love this building!

The back-lit Polycarbonate panels are now glowing at night:

Wherehouse Art Hotel Expansion:
The last office tenant will move out of the building in May, which will allow for further hotel expansion.

They are building nice spaces at this hotel:

Credit: _wherehouse_art_hotel_

Reboot Arcade Bar: Built!
Winston-Salem now has three of these "barcades." This is the second barcade on Liberty Street. Yes, it's now completed and open!

The new bar, with color-changing lights, is in place:

Credit: Reboot

Machines are in place:

Credit: Reboot

It's open:

Credit: reid_camelcity

Credit: dr.lenabobeena

Architect Magazine recently wrote about the construction work at the 615,000 square foot Plaza Building and provided a few rare photographs of the interior work. This is the largest construction project in downtown Winston-Salem, however we haven't seen many photographs of it. We usually only see photographs of the pedestrian bridge. For those who don't know: They are converting an old concrete box data center into a modern Fortune 500 headquarters. On the interior, they are creating open "urban loft inspired" spaces, filled with natural light, designed for collaboration and well-being. Workers have sit/stand desks and there are some walking desks for exercise. Each floor also has mother suites for nursing mothers and quiet rooms. The building has the latest in technology, focused on touch control. This is the 8th company in the nation to have Ideation technology. Artifacts from the company's history are used in decorating the space and wood was recycled from the company's industrial buildings in Tennessee. Construction should be completed in August 2017.

I didn't post all of the photographs. You can visit the magazine to see more photographs.

Credit: Architect

Population Growth in Winston-Salem:
Winston-Salem's tech boom is generating more and more growth! Forsyth County (Winston-Salem) had the highest "net positive domestic migration" in the Triad. It's great to see more people from other states discovering Winston-Salem as a great place to move to. It is a great place to live and a great place to move your business to.

The Winston-Salem Metro Area has moved-up three places to #83 among the nation's largest metro areas. That is impressive and there isn't much growth in the suburban counties. Most of the growth is in the city of Winston-Salem. 85% of the metro area population growth was in Forsyth County, which is mostly Winston-Salem. Both Forsyth County and the Winston-Salem Metro Area attracted more new residents in 2016 than they did in 2015. Again, this increasing growth is likely due to the tech boom.

Credit: bekind_nc

Smiling Dog Brewery:
Are you ready for another brewery! The owner of Cin Cin Burger Bar is starting the process of opening a new brewery called Smiling Dog Brewing Co.,. We should have more details, soon.

Credit: good.vibe.tribe528

View from Winston-Salem's High Line elevated bike path:

Credit: soy_dianita

Credit: colleencocob

Steel frame rising: (Notice the temporary stairs to the roof are now removed)

Credit: twincityroses

Quarry Park:

The BOOM Observation Pier:

Central on 5th:

Credit: afflowera

Light Rail:
Yes, we do have a major update on this project! Work on this project is about 8 years away. Mark Kirstner said the negotiations with Norfolk Southern, for use of the rail line, are a long-term process. The light rail route will connect all of the region's major engineering schools, the airport, and Winston-Salem's medical centers with the IQ District in downtown Winston-Salem. The regional transportation authority completed a study, a few months ago, estimating this as a $320 million project.

Imagine walking from your downtown office, university, apartment, or condo to a light rail station, near Third Street in downtown Winston-Salem, and taking a light rail train to the airport. They are already working to make this a reality! And the rail stop on Third Street will have bicycle and walking paths radiating outward in multiple directions, connecting to different neighborhoods and attractions! Wow!

Credit: playswithglitter

East-West Expressway Bike & Pedestrian Path:
The construction start on this project was moved-up by one year, to save money and avoid any issues constructing a bicycle fly-over ramp. A 2018 bond referendum will likely pay the city's match.

Peters Creek Parkway Bike Path:
Plans are now showing a new bike path along Peters Creek Parkway, connecting the East-West Expressway Bike & Pedestrian Path project to Forsyth Technical College.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art:

Credit: seccacontempart

Credit: ejlnc

Credit: paolaaqm

Credit: abby.nico

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 5:41 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

This under construction hotel will have a nice skyline view:

Credit: its_pronounced_hawryluk

Credit: charliecounselman

This project will be completed next month! It's already appearing in national publications.

An older photograph:

Credit: caseypirate

Regenerative Medicine:
The Armed Forces Institute for Regenerative Medicine, which has nearly 500 scientists at their headquarters in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District, is partnering with the U.S. Army Medical Research & Material Command to apply advanced manufacturing to regenerative medicine. They will develop standardized bioinks to print tissues and organs and have a standardized cell culture media to support cell growth. Dr. Anthony Atala said “The goal is to stop making these systems by hand one at a time, but to automate the process, so we can scale it up and make the process more affordable so we can get it to patients faster. ...how can we manufacture these tissues on a large scale and provide these tissues to patients all over the country and all over the world.” Retired Army Maj. Gen. Lester Martinez-Lopez said “We are going to speed up the production process. It’s about delivering (organs & tissues) to that soldier, sailor, airman, and Marine. That’s a big deal.” This is expected to create possibly hundreds more biotech jobs in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. The mayor is expecting a large number of jobs from this. This sounds exciting!

Tenants will begin moving-in at the end of this month.

Credit: AFAS Group

Credit: jhkerans17

Interior view:

Credit: sherryrosemedia

Renderings of STITCH Design Shop's new headquarters/studio on the top floor:

STITCH Design Shop is awesome! I think they are also hiring, if you're interested.

Quarry Park:

Credit: mabe855

Easter Creek Partners Headquarters:
This building should open in late July. It will become the headquarters for an LGBT-owned development company that is moving to Winston-Salem. It also has office and retail space for other tenants. Duke University has signed a lease for a large percentage of the office space. I'm guessing it's now fully leased, though I'm not really sure? Duke University will be hiring when they move into the new space.

Most Beautiful College:
Travel + Leisure has named Wake Forest University the most beautiful college in North Carolina.

Central on 5th:

Please tell me this will light-up at night:

Credit: fcpubliclibrary

Credit: sarahstocktonhowell

Credit: gingerlyn2

Brand Finance U.S. 500:
Nearly half of the North Carolina based brands on Brand Finance U.S. 500 are headquartered in Winston-Salem! The most of any city in the state. Very impressive!

Hotel Indigo:
They have secured financing for Phase II of the project. We also have a rendering!

Credit: archSTUDIO7

Credit: justin.hazzard

Credit: tanthonyimages

The O'Hanlon:
Sunnyside did this amazing elevator ceiling, if you're interested in hiring them for your project. I think the elevator cabs are original to the 1915 building, but the ceilings needed to be replaced?

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

Credit: jesseg

Credit: jesseg

Testing floor stain products:

We finally have renderings and this is a beautiful space for creative & tech companies:

Vios Expanding:
Vios, headquartered in downtown Winston-Salem, has nearly doubled their downtown workforce in the past year and they plan to more than double their number of downtown workers again by the end of the year. They are currently raising money to work on new plant-based products.

The new steel should top-out this month!

Credit: doberti4

Workers install glass in the south facing windows:

Credit: 1950rusty

Credit: winstonsalemrenovations

Credit: Eric Steinbicker

Credit: yo_gabbiegabbie

Credit: Ari Salkin

Credit: Ari Salkin

Davie Medical Center Expansion: Built!
This project is now completed.

Credit

Breakthrough Co-Work Space: Built!
This project is now completed and open for you to tour and join.

Credit: wsbreakthrough

Some of the color-changing lights are now turned-on.

Credit: shirelleve

Passageway Park:
Our first photographic construction update on this project! The entire passageway is closed for the start of demolition. New Restoration was selected as the General Contractor for phase one of two phases. The budget for this project was increased by $70,000. No city or county money is involved in this project.

Credit: nycfa0814

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: andreaderflinger

Credit: palminpassing

Yes, RiverRun International Film Festival is this week and the state's largest food truck festival is this Saturday at Burke and Fourth streets!

Credit: breakfastqueen

Credit: k_manthey

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations