HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
TGI Friday's will be gone, (thank goodness) replaced with local fare restaurant and JAR adding a "executive lounge".
Would be nice if they replaced the TGI Friday's on the transborder side too with something that has slightly better food options.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 4:38 PM

Just as a PSA, I thought I'd point out that Delta Airlines continues its unusual habit of dirt-cheap, oddly unpublicized selloffs to Asia from Winnipeg. Best deal as of now is Winnipeg-Hong Kong for $566 all in. I even saw it at under $500 a few months ago, but this is still pretty good. There are other destinations too. Oddly, the sale prices are lowest from Winnipeg and the Sask airports... Minneapolis, Vancouver and Toronto all cost substantially more even though you actually go through Minneapolis en route from Winnipeg.

If anyone is in the mood for some Asian tropical warmth this winter, this is a pretty good way to do it

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Would be nice if they replaced the TGI Friday's on the transborder side too with something that has slightly better food options.
they are all the food is being redone right now at the airport

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 6:14 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Just as a PSA, I thought I'd point out that Delta Airlines continues its unusual habit of dirt-cheap, oddly unpublicized selloffs to Asia from Winnipeg.
It seems to be just China from what I can see.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 6:38 AM
Heart of the Continent

It's also worth noting that at current, for same dates, Air Canada is actually cheaper to Hong Kong.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 10:55 PM

Some alarming news coming from our western neighbours...

First the Sask airports lost United service to Chicago, now I see in the Sask airports thread they're losing service to Denver. I know Edmonton either lost (or is losing) service to Newark too.

So far Winnipeg has been unaffected by United service cuts, but I'm getting a bit nervous. Having good United service to Chicago and Denver provides an excellent and very price-efficient alternative for US and international destinations. Fingers crossed that they keep the two destinations on offer...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 3:15 PM

The number of times the Winnipeg-Chicago flights get cancelled is another sign to be concerned over. If the traffic was there we would be hearing a lot more about those cancelled flights. I know last winter it was a common occurrence as it was "too cold" here for the planes to operate safely.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The number of times the Winnipeg-Chicago flights get cancelled is another sign to be concerned over. If the traffic was there we would be hearing a lot more about those cancelled flights. I know last winter it was a common occurrence as it was "too cold" here for the planes to operate safely.
The traffic is definitely there. Whenever I take a UA flight to or from Denver or Chicago, it's always full or just about full with no more than a couple of empty seats. Granted the planes are very small regional jets, but still, no one can say these birds are flying half empty.

As annoying as the cancelled flight thing was last winter, United was also able to effectively manage it by putting people on other airlines. I was only hit by United cancellations once and I ended up on a Delta flight instead. I got to Chicago with a slight delay by virtue of having to connect in Minneapolis. I got an upgrade and a bunch of miles out of the deal so I wasn't complaining

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 7:02 PM

What are the chances regarding the loss of United service in Sask airports, that booking a flight with United simply offers the option for the Sask travellers to connect via Winnipeg?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
What are the chances regarding the loss of United service in Sask airports, that booking a flight with United simply offers the option for the Sask travellers to connect via Winnipeg?
Purely anecdotal I know, but it appears to me that there are more Sask people on the Chicago flights since the directs to Regina and Saskatoon were terminated last fall. I'd say the extra passengers being fed from Sask will probably help in the short term, but if United is in the mood to get rid of long-ish transborder regional jet flights, then there are no guarantees for Winnipeg service.

From a travel cost perspective, losing United would really hurt. They don't have a huge presence in Winnipeg but they make a big difference.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:21 AM

Last winter was definitely a huge issue for UA. Most of the issues last year were because of the E135 and E145s that Expressjet operates for UA. They never had those issues with the CRJs that Skywest operates. This winter they are using mainly Skywest again and its working better - Of course the weather sure helps as well.

A few rumors I have heard is a direct flight to Dallas is in the works. Possibly American Airlines. Also some talk of a direct flight to Manila. Both would be good gets for YWG.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 4:28 PM
Heart of the Continent

I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever get any new flights. Atlanta really made sense, but not even that went through.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:36 PM
ILYR

Positive news for Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport

Total 2015 passenger numbers are now available from www.waa.ca http://www.waa.ca/uploads/ck/files/H...Jan%202015.pdf

2015 saw a 5.3% over the previous year:
2015: 3669797
2014: 3483898

2015 was also the highest passenger numbers ever!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
Positive news for Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport

Total 2015 passenger numbers are now available from www.waa.ca http://www.waa.ca/uploads/ck/files/H...Jan%202015.pdf

2015 saw a 5.3% over the previous year:
2015: 3669797
2014: 3483898

2015 was also the highest passenger numbers ever!
Is anybody else convinced that the past two winters have had more of an affect on passenger numbers than anything?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:10 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Is anybody else convinced that the past two winters have had more of an affect on passenger numbers than anything?
I'm not convinced that is the main driver. While the type of winter certainly dictates how much winter travel goes on, I read a study that showed that people who travel for winter vacations do so regardless of the weather. I take a winter vacation almost every year- but honestly, this year I found a flight from Winnipeg- Honolulu for $550 at the end of February. It changed my plans, for sure- but it was happening regardless. I think business is still the main driver in changes in numbers and I would attribute it more to Winnipeg's growing economy and the fact that Winnipeg still serves as a main centre for MB-SK initiatives. I know quite a few people in the banking sector who represent both MB and SK interests and they do a lot of travel to Regina, Saskatoon and head offices in Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I'm not convinced that is the main driver. While the type of winter certainly dictates how much winter travel goes on, I read a study that showed that people who travel for winter vacations do so regardless of the weather. I take a winter vacation almost every year- but honestly, this year I found a flight from Winnipeg- Honolulu for $550 at the end of February. It changed my plans, for sure- but it was happening regardless. I think business is still the main driver in changes in numbers and I would attribute it more to Winnipeg's growing economy and the fact that Winnipeg still serves as a main centre for MB-SK initiatives. I know quite a few people in the banking sector who represent both MB and SK interests and they do a lot of travel to Regina, Saskatoon and head offices in Toronto.
Yeah, maybe. But just anecdotally speaking also, I'm not going to headed anywhere this year in large part because the weather is just not nearly as unbearable. In fact, the last two years winter vacations for us were both last minute and driven largely by the endlessly cold winters.

Either way, I'd expect a dip in traffic. Far fewer people heading to the oil patch through Manitoba. I think it's pretty unlikely that Winnipeg has suddenly turned into a hub where it hasn't been for the last 40 years.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:40 PM

2015? This year is only one month old and has had 3 million visitors? I'm assuming you got the years mixed up.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:42 PM

So in the summer there are zero international flights??? I find that misleading.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:50 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Yeah, maybe. But just anecdotally speaking also, I'm not going to headed anywhere this year in large part because the weather is just not nearly as unbearable. In fact, the last two years winter vacations for us were both last minute and driven largely by the endlessly cold winters.

Either way, I'd expect a dip in traffic. Far fewer people heading to the oil patch through Manitoba. I think it's pretty unlikely that Winnipeg has suddenly turned into a hub where it hasn't been for the last 40 years.
I agree to a certain extent, but Winnipeg has become a financial hub of sorts again after all of the banking industries pulled out. Winnipeg tends to be the hub for MB and SK. I know of three people who all went into new positions with the "big" banks that were created from positions that did not currently exist. And from what they have told me, Winnipeg is now the hub for a lot of SK initiatives. It's just one example of where the landscape in Winnipeg has changed..

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 10:01 PM

I'm not sure that weather is the strongest predictor of winter leisure travel. This year, more people I know are traveling to sun spots than I can ever remember. Several people I know are traveling twice to sunny destinations. I can't figure out why, but it sure can't be the weather. Personally, I've never once taken a spur of the moment winter trip because of a cold snap. I'm sure people do, but I don't think you can attribute the bump in traffic last year to entirely to the weather.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan