HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
The doctors are really being jerks by making her feel guilty. There is a good chance that a helmet would not have made much of a difference at all. They are only designed to protect heads from simple falls, not collisions with motor vehicles. Sure, they can stop scraps and cuts but their effectiveness at preventing severe brain damage in collisions with motor vehicles is really questionable.

Anyway, seems like more to blame is the poor visibility due to parked cars near the intersection. "There’s a stop sign there, but the parked cars on Quebec can obscure the view for even rule-abiding cyclists." The city really needs to ban parking near intersection for the the safety of pedestrians, cyclists and motorists.
I trust the doctor's opinion far, far more than yours.

And as you read the article, I can't see how even you would fail to comprehend the tragic accident had nothing to do with parked vehicles and sightlines and everything to do with the bicyclist blowing through a stop sign. You do realize Stop signs apply to cyclists?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Please actually do some research before posting. There is much stronger evidence supporting helmet use for children. Their skulls are more vulnerable to injuries.
Well, perhaps some parents have thought it through to that extent, but I doubt that's the reason most of them have their kids wear helmets.

> As well, children have trouble judging speed of vehicles and are also more likely to fall off bicycles.

Exactly - kids can't be trusted to ride as safely - that's my whole point.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 5:42 PM

It is also a well known and documented fact that helmet use increases reckless behavior, which results in increased accidents, accidents that result in injuries to the rider and other people. I am yet to see a conclusive study that shows helmet use reduces serious injuries and deaths overall, I would be happy for someone to point me to one.

Wouldn't be surprised for one second if helmet use resulted in increased deaths and injuries overall do to increased reckless behavior. I am not talking by the way about the effectiveness of helmets in a crash.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
I crossed Quebec on 8th Ave a couple of times, didn't seem to be any worse than any other intersection.
I know the intersection well-cars do go fast on Quebec St but sightlines for cyclists are fine in both directions-that is not an issue.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 7:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I trust the doctor's opinion far, far more than yours.

And as you read the article, I can't see how even you would fail to comprehend the tragic accident had nothing to do with parked vehicles and sightlines and everything to do with the bicyclist blowing through a stop sign. You do realize Stop signs apply to cyclists?
Please stop misrepresenting what people are saying. I never said that the tragic accident had nothing to do with blowing a stop sign. Obviously it did. I was merely repeating the point in the article regarding the poor sightlines which is a problem at intersections around the city especially when large vehicles like vans or SUVs are parked near the corner. It is pretty obvious that they are a hazard to everyone on the road.

And regarding the doctors, please read comments carefully. The point I was making is that it was really inappropriate and insensitive for them to make her feel guilty. They have no business making claims that are impossible to prove that will not change the outcome one little bit. Kinda like commenting to a woman regarding on all the fatty food she served her husband after he died of a heart attack blaming her for her husband's death. They should just have kept their mouths shut.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 6:12 PM

Surrey to introduce it's first neighbourhood cycling route on local roads between Ocean Park and Semiahmoo Mall.

http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/9797.aspx

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Surrey to introduce it's first neighbourhood cycling route on local roads between Ocean Park and Semiahmoo Mall.

http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/9797.aspx
Excellent. Hopefully more of these routes come in soon. I have identified quite a few possibilities.

tybuilding local bike routes

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 11:29 PM
loafing in lotusland

Not sure if this has been posted before, but this is a nice video highlighting the new pedestrian bridges over the #1 and #99:
Video Link

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 4:41 AM

Open houses for the Comox-Helmcken Greenway are coming up, starting this weekend - with plans to build in Fall, 2012. From Price Tags:

Saturday, September 17 - Open House and Walking Tour

Open House: 9 am - 2 pm
Comox Street at Nelson Park
Walking Tours (both tours will end at Nelson Park): 10 am - 12 noon
Tour 1: starts at 10 am at the Comox Street cul-de-sac, west of Chilco Street near Stanley Park
Tour 2: starts at 10 am at the Roundhouse Community Centre Plaza, Drake Street

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 3:39 PM

Perhaps I'm running a little slow this morning, but, after looking at the various links and transportation plans, etc, I'm left a little puzzled as to exactly what a "greenway" is. What are they proposing to change?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
Perhaps I'm running a little slow this morning, but, after looking at the various links and transportation plans, etc, I'm left a little puzzled as to exactly what a "greenway" is. What are they proposing to change?
From: http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/streets/greenways/faq.htm
Quote:
1. What is a Greenway?
Greenways are “green” paths for pedestrians and cyclists. They can be waterfront promenades, urban walks, environmental demonstration trails, heritage walks, and nature trails. Their purpose is to expand the opportunities for urban recreation, to provide alternate ways to move through the city, and to enhance the experience of nature and city life.
My guess is that, at least on the Comox side, they'll widen/repave the sidewalk on one side of the street so that it can be used by both bicycles and pedestrians, much as Burnaby has done along Moscrop street. But that's just a guess - we'll have to wait for the plans to be sure.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 6:54 PM

Awesome!!!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Not sure if this has been posted before, but this is a nice video highlighting the new pedestrian bridges over the #1 and #99:
Video Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nhtA...layer_embedded" target="_blank">Video Link
Video from 2009 about the announcement of these featured projects. North creek bridge is also complete.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
From: http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/streets/greenways/faq.htm

My guess is that, at least on the Comox side, they'll widen/repave the sidewalk on one side of the street so that it can be used by both bicycles and pedestrians, much as Burnaby has done along Moscrop street. But that's just a guess - we'll have to wait for the plans to be sure.
Thanks for the response. It seems like kind of a catch all plan to make things "greener", whatever that is, depending on the circumstances.

Comox is actually kind of nice now, with some old trees. I hope the "green" plan doesn't detract from that.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 5:10 PM

New Surrey Bike Trails

I have some pictures of the new bike infrastructure in Surrey:

Tynhead Park

New Highway 1 bridge - South Approach

West view

Golden Ears Way

Golden Ears bridge bike on ramp

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 5:55 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
Hmmm, which bike lane should I use? The one that's within feet of speeding cars, or the nice wide divided one that runs safely way to the side?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 6:35 PM

Quote:
I have some pictures of the new bike infrastructure in Surrey:
Very nice, thanks for posting!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Very nice, thanks for posting!
Yes the only thing I don't like on the bike path was the intersection crossings where cyclists have to dismount. Why on why can we not design dismounts out of intersections. Bike paths in the Netherlands do not require dismounts at intersections. Surely dismounts can be taken out. When riding on a nice path like this I don't want to get have to walk my bike on each intersection.

The rest of the pathway system is awesome though.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 7:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yes the only thing I don't like on the bike path was the intersection crossings where cyclists have to dismount. Why on why can we not design dismounts out of intersections. Bike paths in the Netherlands do not require dismounts at intersections. Surely dismounts can be taken out. When riding on a nice path like this I don't want to get have to walk my bike on each intersection.

The rest of the pathway system is awesome though.
Yeah, the dismounts are a bit ridiculous. While the path design is fine, they really blew the intersection design. A four metre path to a two metre curb cut with the signal pole in the centre? Really.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the dismounts are a bit ridiculous. While the path design is fine, they really blew the intersection design. A four metre path to a two metre curb cut with the signal pole in the centre? Really.
Yup it seems traffic engineers really "cut corners" when it comes to dismounts and curb islands. Google Street View at 192nd

But the pathway with intersection difficulties is better than no pathway for attracting people like myself on a relaxing recreational ride or new commuters.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure