HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 8:18 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Indeed. And Telus doesn't seem to be a huge sponsor of many events - I'm sure they are smaller sponsors but do they have a marquee event with their name on it?
they sponsor a PGA Tour event during the summer. i think its only been in Alberta so far.

Quote:
Why aren't BC-CTV or GlobalBC or even CityTV in on anything like that? They were busy showing reruns of the late night talk shows for chrissakes!
Global does the Santa parade, but i do see your point. the TV stations here should be spearheading this idea. maybe we should start an email campaign?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 9:23 PM

yah i was watching king

they had a 7 minute fire works show launched off the space needle it was pretty cool

watch it every year

me and my friends were going to go down to seattle a few years ago fir it but ended up going to portland instead

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 9:33 PM

I like the email campaign idea. Lets do it. Lets also email Telus and the city while we are at it. After all the city needs to pick a venue to host it.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 9:51 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLand View Post
I like the email campaign idea. Lets do it. Lets also email Telus and the city while we are at it. After all the city needs to pick a venue to host it.
agreed, but lets not put all our eggs in the Telus basket. lets email Shaw and a few other Mega-Corporations while we're at it. at least with Shaw they could broadcast it on the local Shaw TV channels....

is there anyone here with any big event planning experience?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 5:25 AM

Off topic somewhat, but it seems like a shame that they are re-opening traffic on granville after the C-line opens. with buses to seymore and howe, I think that we can turn granville to a permanent car-free pedestrian mall from georgia to smithe (robosn still goes thru), and then we can plan for something more substantial downtown wrt festivals.

In all fairness to the VPD, since they had no formal plan for celebrations at georgia and granvile, they did their best to keep people moving. The Stanley Cup riots aren't that distant. At least let's get Vancouver City Center station built before the Chavs get to it...

I remember first night at the central library a few years ago was cancelled due to drunks that crashed the family-freindly events . The one planned at granville island actually was a fizzle - fog even rolled in before midnight, obscuring the small firework display...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 5:28 AM

^ actually, I believe the Granville Island party was canceled due to excess crowds. There were 25,000 people at the tiny island (which is a good indicator for the turnout if a real event were put on).

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post

I remember first night at the central library a few years ago was cancelled due to drunks that crashed the family-freindly events .
But I'm sure other events in the city and in other cities get their fair share of bridge-and-tunnel rowdiness. Any NYE celebration would not be worse or better than any of those events.

Perhaps they're taking their actions on Granville (which by and large are successful) and learning how to apply them better to large crowd scenarios. And when the VPD feel they are able to handle, they may be more willing to police a large central NYE event.

Oh yeah, and I agree with our email idea.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
But I'm sure other events in the city and in other cities get their fair share of bridge-and-tunnel rowdiness. Any NYE celebration would not be worse or better than any of those events.
'First Night' is considered a family-friendly event and alcohol free.That being said, organizers must have been smoking dope when they decided to put a family-oriented event so close to the Granville Entertainment block.

Quote:
^ actually, I believe the Granville Island party was canceled due to excess crowds. There were 25,000 people at the tiny island (which is a good indicator for the turnout if a real event were put on).
If it was that successful, then there would be even more impetus to continue on with it and sponsorship should be easy.

Personally, I went to the one (?2002) on Granville Island and it really was... lame. Aside from the fireworks let-down, the venues were too distantly spaced apart to get critical mass, there wasn't a lot of entertainment that they had planned, and the market, ECIAD and other buildings were closed.

Personally, the first night mis-hits could be resolved by better programming (keep it at the island to deter drunk chavs, and focus on the above!)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 5:17 AM

For New Years we could watch the Hong Kong New Years celebrations on big screens on Robson / Granville
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyDrc5qBaRs&feature=hd

Or the one in Sydney...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7UbL4nfeJE&feature=hd

Last edited by Yume-sama; Jan 4, 2009 at 5:28 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 5:32 AM

^ i saw the Hong Kong one in 2008, this time last year. It was absolutely stunning.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 5:35 AM

I've yet to purposely go anywhere for New Years. I may have to after watching the Sydney celebration.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 6:04 AM
Mac User

With the re-design of Granville I hope more city events downtown will be possible. It would be nice if an out door public event could be put on; especially for 2010 because 2010 is suppose to be our year. Vancouver is a fairly important city internationally so it is pretty sad that the city does nothing for NYE.

I spent NYE in London for 2006 and it was really awesome to see fireworks going off the London Eye. Huge crowds though, I got a partially obstructed view. I don't see why we can't they have fireworks here for NYE??

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 6:30 AM
Cheers!

I can see the re-design of Granville starting a NYE event. Maybe not so much formally, but from word of mouth. It might start off small as soon as next year, when the street is complete. Seems like a no-brainer. Once people see there's a place to go it could grow big.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
^ i saw the Hong Kong one in 2008, this time last year. It was absolutely stunning.
I was there for the 2009 one. Stood right under the IFC2 building. Absolutely incredible, will never forget it.

Vancouver definitely needs to set up SOMETHING.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyaki View Post
I was there for the 2009 one. Stood right under the IFC2 building. Absolutely incredible, will never forget it.

Vancouver definitely needs to set up SOMETHING.
They didn't have the numbers on IFC2 last year....I watched it at Tsim Sha Tsui's waterfront, by the clock tower.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 8:00 PM

New Year's fireworks as seen from Pico dos Barcelos, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal...this is massive.
Video Link

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 12:05 AM

it gets depressing watch cnn on new years eve - they show all the cities around the world as midnight hits

other than seattle - i don't think any other city in our time zone does anything

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 4:06 AM
Mac User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
it gets depressing watch cnn on new years eve - they show all the cities around the world as midnight hits

other than seattle - i don't think any other city in our time zone does anything
Seattle doesn't even do much downtown Seattle is to decentralized to host world a world class New Years Eve. L.A has the same problem and I don't know what San Francisco does, so Vancouver has an opportunity to host the flagship celebrations for our time-zone which is the last major time zone in the world to ring in the new year. But I'm not holding my breath. I would love to see fireworks going off the Lions Gate Bridge and off a barge in False Creek.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 4:43 AM

seattle has a huge fireworks show at the space needle

we don't need bands and entertainment just a kick ass fireworks show like they have

philholden.com

matthewbrowning

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 5:53 AM

*gasp* They copied our Christmas tree on top thingy!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment