HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 12:22 AM

steveve's Old and New World Trade Center Models

I've seen a lot of these World Trade Center models around, and thought I'd share mine. It's less colourful/not printed compared to some of the forum-member-built models,

Scale wise, 1 World Trade Center measures a little over 10 inches.

*** And to anyone interested, I started out by building a much more expansive model that covers most of the downtown core of my city, Toronto:

http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.ph...nto-city-model

Here are some photos

Around March 29, 2011:

***this ended up being destroyed (the buildings salvaged of course), and placed on the newer, bigger base.

Around April 25, 2011

May 5, 2011

*Transportation hub is not yet built and the roofs of some of the World Financial Center (WFC 2, the circular one, is hard to do, but i've seen some people use polystyrene balls as the dome, i'll get to it soon, )

And, of course,.... the Wedge of Light!!!!

And I couldn't leave out the former World Trade Center.

Feel free to give me feedback and/or references/info that could help me out.... and check out the link to my Toronto City Model as well!!!

Cheers,
steveve

Last edited by steveve; May 6, 2011 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 4:50 PM
Back to Basics

Steveve, your work is absolutely stunning as usual. Your skill is refined and your attention to detail is impeccable. Any architectural firm will be happy to snap you up when you graduate!

A Question: On the second, larger version of the original WTC model, you have some new buildings that were not extant pre-2001, like the new 7WTC and Goldman Sachs and 30 Park Place (which I believe is not even built yet and still on hold)... Why is that?

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
A Question: On the second, larger version of the original WTC model, you have some new buildings that were not extant pre-2001, like the new 7WTC and Goldman Sachs and 30 Park Place (which I believe is not even built yet and still on hold)... Why is that?
right! there is only one model and i have to swap the old and new WTC, that's why you see newer buildings on the model (they are glued down),

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 8:49 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
right! there is only one model and i have to swap the old and new WTC, that's why you see newer buildings on the model (they are glued down),
OK cool, I understand... Too bad they can't do that at the real site. Many people still wish they just rebuilt the original twins instead of the new towers.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 9:16 PM

I think someone would rebuild the Twin Towers just not at the World Trade Center. Though it's possible like somewhere in Brooklyn, or Jersey City.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
OK cool, I understand... Too bad they can't do that at the real site. Many people still wish they just rebuilt the original twins instead of the new towers.
to me, i wouldn't feel at all safe rebuilding something looking like the originals, even though it would be physiological, it's too easy picturing what happened on that day, and how close new twins would look to the old.

the new world trade center will be spectacular, though they may feel like outsiders, the same was said about the original WTC when they were built.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 7:44 PM

this project wrapped up about 3 weeks ago, I'd like to expand it, but the map i'm using as a template doesn't go that far,

I used this map:
*If anyone knows where to find a larger (more expansive, geographically/area wise) please post a link!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 8:01 PM

Love seeing 99 Church peeking between WTC 1 & 2. Nice work.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 11:19 PM

2WTC's diamonds look perfect! Is this all cardboard? This is awesome stuff, man.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamatzu View Post
2WTC's diamonds look perfect! Is this all cardboard? This is awesome stuff, man.
yup, all cardboard!

And photos comparing the old and new World Trade Centers to the financial district of Toronto. NOTE: the scale of the World Trade Center models is slightly smaller than that of TO's. So yes, these towers are slightly bigger than they already shown in these photos. (a little under 1/2cm taller, not a huge difference, but still, HUGE!)
*So yeah, just picture the Manhattan buildings a wee bit taller than they are in photo... yes, they're HUGE!

I call these TorontoHattan:

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 12:52 AM
Sydney

Hey nice! Where do you get the information about the height for your models?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art