HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark2 View Post
This morning, snowy mountains

Wow, really shows the difference from 5- 10 years ago. This angle looked the same for many years and it was getting boring.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 2:32 AM

Quote:
This morning, snowy mountains

Wait, who photoshopped Vancouver's skyline onto DTLA's?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 6:30 PM

Quote:
erhaps the first architectural casualties of the great recession. Not to make anyone cry by opening up old but still sore wounds but... now that the Pereira tumor on the times building isn't being preserved, anybody else agree that Onni should ditch the glass generic boxes it plans to build and instead should dust these off, put their own little modern spin on them and make all of us very happy ? I think these would fit a whole lot better next to the Times building than those glass boxes. Doesn't have to be identical or as tall but defined windows would be nice for a change.
I also agree too much glass will make things bland plus I love the art deco like design of that 90s proposal-build it!!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I think these would fit a whole lot better next to the Times building than those glass boxes. Doesn't have to be identical or as tall but defined windows would be nice for a change.
There is no context for such buildings here. A single low-rise building in a certain style does not suffice.

For Stern, the context for his Manhattan apartment towers are the pre-war New York apartment homes.

See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0RA1tkVlFQ

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 7:44 PM
them bones

Quote:

Perhaps the first architectural casualties of the great recession. Not to make anyone cry by opening up old but still sore wounds but... now that the Pereira tumor on the times building isn't being preserved, anybody else agree that Onni should ditch the glass generic boxes it plans to build and instead should dust these off, put their own little modern spin on them and make all of us very happy ? I think these would fit a whole lot better next to the Times building than those glass boxes. Doesn't have to be identical or as tall but defined windows would be nice for a change.
Ugghh...no. They were heinously proportioned and poorly designed in 2006 and they haven’t gotten any better. I have no problem with Shop or RAMSA, Pelli or others being contextual, but these awful things were always vile and absolutely don’t belong in downtown LA.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 9:01 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

those are awesome!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Ugghh...no. They were heinously proportioned and poorly designed in 2006 and they haven’t gotten any better. I have no problem with Shop or RAMSA, Pelli or others being contextual, but these awful things were always vile and absolutely don’t belong in downtown LA.
To each his own, I guess. I think skylines are more interesting with a variety of architectural styles, so I don't really see how something can categorically "not belong" in DTLA. Also, I'm not sure what the concerns are regarding "proportions," skyscrapers are tall.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Art deco has a long and proud history in L.A.--Eastern Columbia Bldg, Richfield Tower (torn down), Bullocks Mid Wishire, Wiltern tower just to name a few. This neo-deco twin tower proposal (or something like it) that Caligrad reminds us of would fit right in to the Times Mirror parcel. L.A. would probably have had a few 20 and 30 story art decos/neo classical towers in the pre-depression era if not for the 150 foot height limit that existed until the late 1950s. Better late than never. Build the neo decos Onn please

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 10, 2018 at 8:34 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 8:28 AM

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 9:24 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post
There is no context for such buildings here. A single low-rise building in a certain style does not suffice.

For Stern, the context for his Manhattan apartment towers are the pre-war New York apartment homes.

See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0RA1tkVlFQ
"There is no context for such buildings here"

The grandfather of LAs skyline, City Hall literally across the street, is giving you a mean side eye right now lol. Hell half of the civic center and most of the Broadway corridor would disagree. Take away the height and these types of buildings can be seen all over LA from Long Beach to Santa Monica and they actually look pretty cool sitting next to palm trees.

This ideology is what got LA stuck in architectural limbo in the first place. "IT doesn't fit in LA, there's no context for it". I'm guilty of this as well. People complain about the uniformity of LAs skyline where bunker hill is stuck in the 80s-90s while South Park has turned into glass boxes covered in billboards.

"Ugh we are tired of the glass boxes" yet, when something different gets proposed, we all grab a pitchfork.

But I agree with Colemonkee. Onni cant be trusted with stuff like this since they've even started to value engineer their Vancouver transplants. But since LA is severely lacking high-rises from every decade pre 80s, a little diversity wont hurt. Will only enhance.

Quote:
So what exactly is your beef with them ? yeah they scream faux Palmer but that's why I said a "more modern spin to them" and "doesn't have to be identical or as tall but defined windows would be nice". Yeah, Onni cant be trusted with anything that's neighboring Art Deco but something similar to these next to the times building would be nice. But I agree. RAMSA would do a project like this justice.

Last edited by caligrad; Dec 11, 2018 at 8:57 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 3:42 AM

Sunset was stunning this afternoon! Took this near the 6th st bridge.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 5:16 AM

^ Now this one is an awesome angle from a bit NE of downtown (not too far from the old general hospital which was also art deco)-great pic!!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 5:30 PM

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 5:35 PM

^ Thanks Cesar! The sooner they tear down the old Hooters and start construction on the two new towers there, the better. That graffiti on the vacated building is getting pretty bad.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 7:41 PM

^^^ I wonder what is taking them sooo long with the hooters building. Tear it down and start before somebody changes their mind.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
^^^ I wonder what is taking them sooo long with the hooters building. Tear it down and start before somebody changes their mind.
And Cambria, they fenced off the lot and then crickets....for almost a year...in fact, it is back to public parking again.

Last edited by WonderlandPark2; Dec 12, 2018 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:23 AM

^^^

Quote:
Related is supposed to be this Fall. And perhaps Cambria, don't know whats holding that one up.
A year ? i don't think its been fenced off that long lol it was supposed to break ground in August. Even you said that back in July lol.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:44 AM

Nice video, Cesar. Loving the holiday colors on the Wilshire Grand.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
^^^

A year ? i don't think its been fenced off that long lol it was supposed to break ground in August. Even you said that back in July lol.
Yes, about at year. It has been fenced off that long. Here is the April Streetview of the site (closest to a year ago I could find).

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
It has been fenced off that long. Here is the April Streetview of the site (closest to a year ago I could find).
^ That street is one of the major sore points of dtla. lots of ppl's first impression of the hood is based on corridors like that.

bad enough there's a huge homeless emcampment under the fwy overpass a few hundred yards from that location, but that major street in dt hasn't even seen a basic upgrade like this:

onto betters aspects of a revived dtla:

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations