HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
Save us Opus-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hopus.
lol I actually thought that too.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Cousins tower on Daquari Factory lot will be 500 feet but two 22 story towers for NS is just a horrendous letdown. The increased density is great but it's getting really frustrating to see cities at a tier below Atlanta like Charlotte, Nashville and Austin building 500 - 800 foot towers while we get our 15th tower in the 20-29 story range in the last 5 years.
15th? More like 30thish....we've built a ton of highrises in the last five years, but almost none of them are notable.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL CTO View Post
Report from 5 minutes ago: The sandbox they moved dirt around in is still sitting empty with no equipment or people on site.

I would love to see this kick off as much as anyone else, but it's not a good look. Especially the fake construction they did, which has been halted for months now.
Yeah to stage a phony construction start for condos at that price point is beyond ok. I would love to see it happen, but after so many false starts - still not holding my breath.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Well there's still Opus........

[N]Opus until I see a crane up and some REAL signs of construction

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
[N]Opus until I see a crane up and some REAL signs of construction
After Skyline in Lindbergh we're gonna need more than a foundation and a couple of floors of parking to believe in Nopus.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
After Skyline in Lindbergh we're gonna need more than a foundation and a couple of floors of parking to believe in Nopus.
I forgot all about Skyline at Lindbergh.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
15th? More like 30thish....we've built a ton of highrises in the last five years, but almost none of them are notable.

Not so sure, "none of then are notable". 3 example stand out:

1) Coda - twin connected towers a la Cousins Ponce & Third
https://codatechsquare.com/construction-cam/

2) NCR towers very striking

3) Proposed Cousins West Peachtree & 8th - 31 stories

Also, once you exclude one time land costs, is it really more cost efficient (and construction safe) to build a single 44 story building rather than twin 22 story towers?

Seems the twin towers do a much better job of filling in land - and especially with Ponce & Third, Cousins needs to accommodate the student housing tower also coming on their Spring / West Peachtree block

Plus, controlling same block contiguous land parcels allows controlled views and pre-empt non-complementary uses by adjacent land owners.

All that said. I bet FARs will increase in the intermediate 2-5 year - and certainly beyond - term as few Midtown and Buckhead parcels remain for development.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
Told you guys Get used to 20-30 floors. Tall towers on suburban-style lots are a thing of the past.

I always thought it was 1 million, I don't remember anyone saying 1.4.
A city fabric of 22 story towers with an activated street life is a much more pleasant experience than a city of BofA or IBM towers that ignores the pedestrian. The tall towers look good from the highway, but don’t add to the joy of urban living.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbgt92 View Post
A city fabric of 22 story towers with an activated street life is a much more pleasant experience than a city of BofA or IBM towers that ignores the pedestrian. The tall towers look good from the highway, but don’t add to the joy of urban living.
Does it have to be either-or ? What are you going to get for the shorter dual towers, a coffee shop ?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Does it have to be either-or ? What are you going to get for the shorter dual towers, a coffee shop ?
Great point. There’s a lot of potential we have already. We just need to activate it’s potential.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 2:12 AM

Midtown Union to begin construction this month?

FWIW, this is what ATL3K states on his Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/cbenderatl/statu...81391111720960

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Agreed, while I concur completely that I'd rather have a dense urban neighborhood filled with 20 story towers and active uses, Midtown is already taking huge strides in that direction. Therefore, I'd love for even just ONE tower (the Norfolk Southern development, for instance) to be a 50 story, 700 foot tower that makes a big mark on the skyline. And that tower doesn't have to have a 1987-style suburban base like Bank of America. Why can't it have active uses like a 23 story tower would?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 12:25 PM

LOL, guys, I'm seriously going to retire from saying this going forward but I'll throw it out there one more time for posterity.

Midtown does not allow 50-story towers unless the tower only takes up 1/5th of the land (and that is a best case which most developments don't satisfy, many are more like 1/6 or even 1/8). Therefore you're looking at a skinny tower on a huge lot that is otherwise full of parking, private plazas, etc. That is how they were done in the 80s, 90s, etc. Now they are doing shorter towers that fill the block, i.e. Hanover which has the mid-rise office portion or NCR with the dual towers.

People here would be complaining endlessly about any design that was that was 50 stories and met the FAR requirement, rightfully so for the most part because it would not be urban. It would also be extremely expensive. We have exactly one developer trying to pull off a 50-story tower right now (Opus)... they have not been able to make it a reality yet due to the price they need to sell the units at, and people are already complaining about its parking pedestal.

If you want a wave of tall towers you're just going to have to wait until developers have gotten interested in Downtown again. My guess is that will be at least 8-10 years from now.

I promise you will never hear this from me again

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 1:51 PM

Not as interested in height as in well designed buildings--

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 3:31 PM

Quote:
I mean specifically in Midtown because the zoning only allows a FAR of ~10. Downtown allows for much more but developers aren't very interested in it at the moment. And no, it will not be increased any time soon. There is no infrastructure improvement going on that would justify that.
I'm sorry, but this is just the kind of officious crap that makes me dismissive of local politics. Does anywhere in this godforsaken city have the proper infrastructure for much more growth?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
Not as interested in height as in well designed buildings--
I'm sure it will look amazing, but unless you're on the block you probably won't see it.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
I'm sorry, but this is just the kind of officious crap that makes me dismissive of local politics. Does anywhere in this godforsaken city have the proper infrastructure for much more growth?
Apparently 4 MARTA rail stations, gridded streets, and a massive interstate isn't enough infrastructure for a tall skyscraper, yet can handle dozens of residential towers in the last 5 years.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:
LOL, guys, I'm seriously going to retire from saying this going forward but I'll throw it out there one more time for posterity.

Midtown does not allow 50-story towers unless the tower only takes up 1/5th of the land (and that is a best case which most developments don't satisfy, many are more like 1/6 or even 1/8). Therefore you're looking at a skinny tower on a huge lot that is otherwise full of parking, private plazas, etc. That is how they were done in the 80s, 90s, etc. Now they are doing shorter towers that fill the block, i.e. Hanover which has the mid-rise office portion or NCR with the dual towers.

People here would be complaining endlessly about any design that was that was 50 stories and met the FAR requirement, rightfully so for the most part because it would not be urban. It would also be extremely expensive. We have exactly one developer trying to pull off a 50-story tower right now (Opus)... they have not been able to make it a reality yet due to the price they need to sell the units at, and people are already complaining about its parking pedestal.

If you want a wave of tall towers you're just going to have to wait until developers have gotten interested in Downtown again. My guess is that will be at least 8-10 years from now.

So, what's stopping Midtown from changing that self-imposed zoning "rule?"

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 7:00 PM

Quote:

What about 1180 Peachtree (King and Spalding)? It doesn't have a huge plaza in front of it.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
What about 1180 Peachtree (King and Spalding)? It doesn't have a huge plaza in front of it.
There is a mid-rise portion on part of the block, as well as a plaza on the non-road long side. There is also pavement around it for the parking garage entry. Finally it isn't as large of a building as its height implies because it has a massive crown on top of it that is at least 5-8 floors tall

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations