HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 8:29 AM

Petition: Bring the NBA back to Vancouver

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 5:10 PM

I'm down for season tickets if and when it happens, but I won't hold my breath.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 5:35 PM

We need to get this movement going!

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 5:39 PM

Awesome idea, I'm in.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 6:52 AM

With Steve Nash and his recent injuries, I wonder if once he does retire, he'll be a part of why the NBA does make it's eventual return to this beautiful city.

Could there be an Aquilini and Nash effort to bringing an NBA franchise back to Van?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 7:06 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

As if it weren't bad enough if the NBA came back, but Aquilini as the owner too?

You do know that Nash has a business/personal relationship with Kerfoot and there was some tension with Aquilini during the MLS expansion process. I'd be pretty shocked if the two formed a relationship.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
As if it weren't bad enough if the NBA came back, but Aquilini as the owner too?

You do know that Nash has a business/personal relationship with Kerfoot and there was some tension with Aquilini during the MLS expansion process. I'd be pretty shocked if the two formed a relationship.
Yeah. Was just wondering, cause there was an article in the VS, that said that Nash wouldn't rule out being a part of an ownership team bringing the NBA back to Van. I'd love it for pro basketball to come to the city. Why not? I've always been an encourager for more pro sports in the city - and not just hockey - especially when the team isn't doing so well right now, would be nice to have other pro sports here in THIS city to talk about.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 7:32 PM

Lokk at Toronto. Americans who end up playing in Canada will lay down, so the Raptors have virtually no chance to win a championship. Why would we want that here again? Bring MLB.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Lokk at Toronto. Americans who end up playing in Canada will lay down, so the Raptors have virtually no chance to win a championship. Why would we want that here again? Bring MLB.
I think perspective on players is slowly changing, and the cultural landscape is changing too. When the Grizz came to town back in '95, a lot of the players were ignorant beyond the USA. Now, you've got a league where more and more international players from all over the world are coming and playing in the best basketball league in the world.

I know that NBA players had their attitude issues, but if given the chance to return, I think many would love to play and live here. Personally, I've always been supportive of this city to have more pro sports teams - we've got three (kind of) - NHL, MLS, CFL. Would love to add the NBA to that list, and maybe down the road (far down the road) - the MLB. Wouldn't that be fantastic to have that many sports franchises in our city, and to enjoy pro sports year round? That'd be cool.

Sometimes I envy Toronto. I know a lot of their teams haven't been very good, but at least they've got sports to discuss (their own teams) - Blue Jays in the Summer, Raptors/Leafs in the winter seasons, CFL talk too (for CFL fans in that city).

Personally, I'd welcome the NBA back, if Nash would be a part of a team that would bring it back. I think if the league is coming back, it'll be because of Nash being involved. He believes in this city, and it's market.

Edit: I think the NBA is a lot closer in returning than MLB coming into this market. Can't see MLB for a long, long, long time.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 7:17 AM
More Towers

Exactly, Nash will just spend more time on the Whitecaps and Team Canada

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 8:19 PM
See ya down under, mates

Yeah player attitudes ruined any desire I have to have NBA back. So concerned with taxes/endorsements/celebrity, like they don't still make enough for their grandchildren to spend to their heart's content without ever working.

In the NHL you rarely see that garbage with players, even in Edmonton/Winnipeg.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 8:20 PM

Baseball please.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 1:27 AM
See ya down under, mates

Small market teams in baseball never win anything. Do we really want that?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 1:31 AM

wouldn't another stadium need to be built to house an MLB team?

NBA is definitely on the radar but I don't think it will happen any time soon.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
wouldn't another stadium need to be built to house an MLB team?

NBA is definitely on the radar but I don't think it will happen any time soon.
Previous to the reno BC Place was designed to accommodate a baseball diamond.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 1:33 AM
More Towers

Americans actually like to watch baseball, most people in Vancouver could care less.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 6:44 AM

Would love to see MLB come to the city - I guess it's not happening soon, but 20-25 years into the future? I could possibly see it happening, especially if the owners of the single A Canadians continue to cultivate fan support, and interest. I can see Vancouver getting eventually double A baseball here in this city - surely we can support that.

I find it difficult to believe that the owners of the Canadians doesn't believe Triple A baseball would work, when it has been in the city for 22 years as someone posted here, and flourished. Either that statement was made in ignorance, or the owner has no idea what he's talking about.

As for the NBA. I love hockey. I love pro ball. I'd love to cheer on for another pro basketball team here in VAN. I'm hoping that Nash and his contacts, make it happen, once he retires from playing in the NBA. He'd be a great GM for a new franchise here. Pro ball can flourish here, I believe it can. When we had the worse team in the NBA for six seasons here, people kept on coming out, not because they were stupid, but because they were fans, and they believed that better days were ahead.

Again, I think NBA WILL eventually make it's return to Van with Nash spearheading that. MLB, I'm not so certain, simply because you'll need an owner(s) who would also be willing to build a brand new stadium....who would be willing to do that?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 7:18 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

*l* I can't believe some are implying that the owner of the Cs doesn't know the numbers. Anyways enjoy, let me know when we get a Triple A team, we can have a SSP:meet and I'll buy everyone that shows up a hotdog.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 5:18 PM
More Towers

Are there any other sports leagues that we want to bring to Vancouver that will never ever come?

Let's see lots of people play tennis in Vancouver, we need an ATP event. Umm, I saw some people sailing so an America's Cup stop. And finally I see lots of people driving every day so an F1 event down at the old Concord Pacific site near Expo. Yes, for Meggs I will bring a real bicycle race to the city. Tour De France: Vancouver Edition.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
Are there any other sports leagues that we want to bring to Vancouver that will never ever come?

Let's see lots of people play tennis in Vancouver, we need an ATP event. Umm, I saw some people sailing so an America's Cup stop. And finally I see lots of people driving every day so an F1 event down at the old Concord Pacific site near Expo. Yes, for Meggs I will bring a real bicycle race to the city. Tour De France: Vancouver Edition.
Would love for an ATP tour to be here in Van, too. How great would that be?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation