HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Will you be living downtown?
Downtown or SoCo !

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 6:07 PM

Wow what an amazing building. Super jealous of you guys

Austin is one of the cities I'm interested in moving to (From San Jose) but it's tough for me since I've lived in California my whole life and all of my family members are here. I'm very interested in visiting sometime in the future though!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 7:20 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

The developers of 600 Guadalupe are not messing around. The site plan was filed last week.

LINK

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 3:05 AM

One of the Gensler architects working on the 600 Guadalupe project posted an Instagram video of the model. Here's a still from the video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BX6Kq1qD4i7/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 6:43 PM

Here are some photos of a model for 600 Guadalupe.

https://www.instagram.com/blume_george/

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 11:37 PM

We've been hiding this Homewood Suites Hotel disaster in the Austin sub-forum, but I'll go ahead and share it with everyone else. It's been topped out for a few months, but fortunately the facade is not in place yet.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jenn-weyand-23652715

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 11:59 PM
Ascension

Straight Outta 1986. Yikes.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 12:37 AM

I don't know why, but I don't completely hate it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
We've been hiding this Homewood Suites Hotel disaster in the Austin sub-forum, but I'll go ahead and share it with everyone else. It's been topped out for a few months, but fortunately the facade is not in place yet.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jenn-weyand-23652715
eeew!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 6:07 PM
クラブトクヨ

Come on Austin, we got this right?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/?node=17044620011

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 2:15 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Not sure what locations they're considering, but in my finite mind, Austin could be a great fit to their business culture. It certainly would be a huge win for Austin and the whole metro area.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 12:45 AM

This 79 acre project being referred to as "Project Catalyst" just SE of Downtown and adjacent to Oracle's U/C corporate campus, just happened to be marketed as a corporate campus opportunity prior to the Amazon HQ2 announcement. It's a freaking city unto itself and could easily be home to 50K workers.

https://vimeo.com/182609285

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 10:43 PM
on the south side

Surely they would include "light rail" from the airport up Riverside into downtown in the proposal. The one major item Austin is totally lacking on Amazon's "checklist" for the potential location, is mass transit.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 2:29 PM

I hate to break it to everyone but there is zero chance Amazon picks Austin. They are going to DC. They own the Washington Post; Bezos apparently recently bought a $20M+ house in the DC area; and he is interested in getting more involved in politics / national policy. This "competition" is designed for one purpose, and one purpose only: to pressure DC into giving as much public money as possible to Amazon to "lure" Amazon to where its already going. It's really an unfortunate fact of life that local governments around the country are falling all over themselves to give taxpayer money to companies who don't need it.

All that said, I love the tech district concept -- with or without Amazon. Very nicely done.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 5:10 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc1264 View Post
I hate to break it to everyone but there is zero chance Amazon picks Austin. They are going to DC. They own the Washington Post; Bezos apparently recently bought a $20M+ house in the DC area; and he is interested in getting more involved in politics / national policy. This "competition" is designed for one purpose, and one purpose only: to pressure DC into giving as much public money as possible to Amazon to "lure" Amazon to where its already going. It's really an unfortunate fact of life that local governments around the country are falling all over themselves to give taxpayer money to companies who don't need it.

All that said, I love the tech district concept -- with or without Amazon. Very nicely done.
Bezos bought a house in DC. Same neighborhood as Ivanka Trump and the Obama's.

-sb

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:48 AM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc1264 View Post

Bezos bought the Washington Post for 250 million.

He then bought Whole Foods in Austin for 13.7 billion.

Seems like a much bigger investment in one city over the other..... but when you are worth 83 billion I think neither investment will mean too much when deciding Amazon's 2nd headquarter.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:16 AM
Rundberg & I35

In recent years Whole Foods did buy and piece together several nice chunks of real estate in downtown Austin... most of which have yet to be redeveloped. A very attractive opportunity for Amazon.....

Last edited by East7thStreet; Sep 13, 2017 at 5:22 AM. Reason: Duplicate

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
Bezos bought the Washington Post for 250 million.

He then bought Whole Foods in Austin for 13.7 billion.

Seems like a much bigger investment in one city over the other..... but when you are worth 83 billion I think neither investment will mean too much when deciding Amazon's 2nd headquarter.
Exactly. The Washington Post in DC is a tiny investment compared to the Whole Foods acquisition in Austin.

Also, Bezos personally bought the Washington Post. Not Amazon. However, Amazon now has a very real $13.7B division in Austin.

I do agree that Amazon has already chosen a city, and their RFP is simply a way of finding the max incentives that a city will offer -- to make the chosen city match it. There is no way of really knowing what city that is, but I think if Vegas actually gave odds on it, the favorite would be Austin.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:56 PM

The real estate Whole Foods purchased for a corporate campus was two blocks IIRC across from their HQ on Lamar. That was when they were flying high in ~2014. They still own that real estate as far as I know. But it's not zoned for high-rises, and I doubt the City of Austin would grant a zoning variance for high-rise construction on the West side of Lamar - even for Amazon.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 7:07 PM

DC is too expensive. Not a whole lot of space left. I agree with the New York times that Denver is Amazon's pick since it's the ONLY city that fits every criteria they gave. However if they do choose Austin there is plenty of places to choose from. Whole Foods properties, Austin American Statesman, Domain Area, This new Riverside project Catalyst etc. If only the darn non-visionary voters of Austin had voted YES on light-rail once in the last 20yrs we'd have this cat in the bag.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations