HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's worth noting that that Mother Canada statue was not intended as a Statue of Liberty type of monument.

It's a war memorial dedicated to Canadians who died in European wars.

I know, and it would have made sense had this been something built after WWI.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
1. Americans are better at mythmaking and telling their own stories. (Even if those stories end up oversimplified.)
It's an open question whether we want to go down the path of the extortionate myth making of the United States, and truth be told, many European countries.

Consider the evolution of Canada and it's bringing colonies such as British Columbia into the fold compared to the United States' by contrast deranged flirtations with manifest destiny.

There is knowing and respecting our history, and there is the irrational adoration of events.

Truth be told, on many levels, Canada fulfils the promise of a new world country without the old world baggage much better than the United States. And part of that is our more sensible, rational, and decidedly "new world" approach to our own history.

Why isn't Pier 21 more well known? Part of it is because of the culture of who we are and who we became as a people. And that's OK.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 11:50 PM

Pier 21 and Ellis Island also fall into the typical Euro-centric narrative of our history. As if immigration via the Pacific happened too late/is not anywhere near as important as Euro immigration to commemorate.

I'm currently working with a group that is trying to get some recognition of the importance of Pacific-based immigration in Canada's history.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Well, it's probably just me being weird, and not a generalized reputation. But when I point out that Franco-Ontarians generally have a keen eagerness to have cross-Canada knowledge, most people who know them will agree.

Anglophones in Ottawa/Eastern Ontario tend to be like this as well, but they're usually lacking in knowledge of the Québécois/francophone side of things.

Typical Franco-Ontarians actually aren't that good IMO in terms of their knowledge of francophone culture, but they at least have a grasp of some of the basics and aren't totally clueless.

I don't think there is any group in the country that has a better grasp of Canada across its geography, languages, diversity, etc. (Though Anglo-Quebecers are starting to get close now that they're more in tune with francophone Québécois culture.)
I agree that both Franco-Ontarians and Anglo-Quebecers who travel tend to have an excellent grasp of Canada as a whole. And I should add those who speak French and English very well. That is what I have experienced with friends, family and meeting others while travelling.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 5:38 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
None of the Canadian equivalents to any thing in the US are ever as well known. With the possible exceptions of Niagara Falls and the Rockies.
With one possible exception. Tim Hortons vs Dunkin Donuts.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 2:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post
Pier 21 and Ellis Island also fall into the typical Euro-centric narrative of our history. As if immigration via the Pacific happened too late/is not anywhere near as important as Euro immigration to commemorate.

I'm currently working with a group that is trying to get some recognition of the importance of Pacific-based immigration in Canada's history.
You're correct of course.

What I find interesting though is while this one-sided focus is criticised on both sides of the border, in the U.S. it doesn't translate into a reticence to play up the imagery of Ellis Island, the Mayflower Pilgrims, Thanksgiving, etc.

It's all still there.

Same goes for Australia where only a tiny minority of people would have a convict ancestor today, but that aspect of history still gets a lot of traction. People complain about it but they don't get anywhere - it's still a big part of Australian lore.

Last edited by Acajack; Dec 5, 2017 at 4:39 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada