HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 5:19 AM
I am a typical

The old Fort William Clinic moved from downtown Fort William to that location last summer. They decided to keep the name because old people complained about change. It used to be located on McKellar Street, across from/behind Centennial Square.

Genivar built a nearly identical building in Innova Park to house their offices, which also moved out of Fort William (they were previously in the TBT Engineering building on Syndicate).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 5:53 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I figured they'd moved, but wasn't sure.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 1:07 AM

Happy New Year to all....is anyone aware of any townhome projects on the books...I am aware of the Terra Vista development but are there any others scheduled for the coming year? We are looking to downsize and a townhome would be perfect. Thanks in advance.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhere View Post
Happy New Year to all....is anyone aware of any townhome projects on the books...I am aware of the Terra Vista development but are there any others scheduled for the coming year? We are looking to downsize and a townhome would be perfect. Thanks in advance.
I think some townhouses just broke ground in Parkdale in the late fall. Unfortunately, townhouses aren't overly popular in this market. Most developers are putting up four-plex's or six-plex's right now, not row housing.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the information. Too bad that there isn't more of a demand. I continue to hold out hope, that at some point, the Bay-Algoma area will see some intensification (ie the old Shaw Bakery property). I could see an interesting mix of young professionals and seniors looking to downsize as being interested in an urban, upscale, townhome development. Maybe down the road. Thanks again for your info.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 2:31 PM

I personally believe the market exists now to do that in the Bay & Algoma area. There just is not a developer willing and/or able to take the risk and be the first to try it yet. Something like that could be extremely successful if the cost of the units are kept in the $200 000 dollar range, but that is difficult to do now for new construction (especially if the buyers want higher end finishes).

========

Permits have been applied for/granted by the city for the following projects over the last few days:

-Delta Waterfront Hotel building (foundation almost complete on a separate permit, construction beginning in March, est. $15 million)
-Carpenters union office and training centre to be built in Innova Park (est. $3.5 million, no timeline given yet)
-Crossroads rehab centre to be located in the former Oliver Rd. School
-St. Joe's new mental health wing (also currently out to tender, est. $38 million)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 12:19 AM
I am a typical

There is a proposed multi-unit building that will go up at the corner of Van Norman and Algoma if it gets approved, but that's not quite the Bay Street area and it's not a rowhouse.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 2:05 AM

Thanks for that info....hopefully it will get approved and kickstart this kind of infill. Re the 200K price per unit, I think the market will support a much higher price point. Maybe use the 200K as a base and have a long list of options. The idea of being able to walk/bike to services as opposed to using the car for everything is one that is a bit late arriving in TBay, but its' time has come. Maybe the lack of love for townhomes comes from it being equated with low income/student housing. My hope is for more of a brownstone look. Likely dreaming but hope springs eternal.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 2:08 AM
Urban Fanactic

A new proposal for Sault Ste. Marie. It's still very early in the planning stages. The first phase will be the relocation of the YMCA downtown.

Source: http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ls.asp?c=84976

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 2:25 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
There is a proposed multi-unit building that will go up at the corner of Van Norman and Algoma if it gets approved, but that's not quite the Bay Street area and it's not a rowhouse.
That's right near my place. I should be able to get pics if I'm back home while it's going up.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 11:08 PM

A numbered company lead by Ansanhul Habib submitted the highest bid for the Royal Eddie. The city is accepting the offer from Habib for the building. Habib plans on extensively renovating the building to include main floor commercial, and extended stay suites on the upper floors. Construction is to begin in 6-8 months, and the city is requiring Habib to reach construction milestones along the way to keep the deal intact.

Very smart of the city to approach Habib's proposal in this fashion. Considering Habib's progress on other projects around the city (or lack thereof I should say), this was a good clause to include in the deal. I am thinking Habib must have some silent partners in this venture... I can't see him having nearly enough cash to undertake a project of this magnitude himself. I am going to be honest and remain skeptical that this project as it currently is will ever see completion, although I really hope it does.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:24 AM

Good to see the Hampton Inn in Thunder Bay starting construction (albeit in a different location)

Two Thunder Bay questions:

- Any estimate on the Delta's opening date? I may be passing through later this year.

- Any movement on the proposed arena for the Jets' AHL team?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:51 PM

Read recently that the Delta chain has been purchased by Marriott. Here is hoping that this will not have any negative impact on the Waterfront project.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 10:01 PM

Waterfront hotel is not due to open until the spring 2016, but that seams optimistic with the current status. Though it may change from a Delta to a Marriott as Marriott has purchased all Delta resorts in Canada.

The AHL team is contingent on a new event center construction with has just submitted funding applications which are due back in March.

Last edited by Conker; Jan 30, 2015 at 2:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 5:54 AM

Thank you!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 1:55 AM

Didn't sound like Marriott was going to change very much about the Delta hotels. I also heard a spring 2016 opening, but I also don't see that happening. Early fall more likely, if construction of the tower goes early this spring.

=======

Read that a new hangar is proposed for the airport, to be built this coming season. No word on exactly who is building it, but it will be a private sector company. The airport itself is also looking at improvements to the 2nd floor of the terminal, reflecting increased need for capacity. The airport is also looking at improvements to the second runway.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 10:46 PM

Federal funding for the event centre sounds shaky, with a March 31st deadline coming up for the city to disclose if they have received provincial and federal funds. The CoTB already has begun planning for a scaled back version of the event centre, whereas it would only be a hockey arena. The mayor is set to meet with Greg Rickford Sunday to discuss further.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 2:34 AM

A francophone society is moving into the former Ron's Virtual World building on Van Norman. The building is first undergoing fairly significant renovations to make room for offices, meeting rooms and so on.

A few units are under construction at Hillcrest now. I think they are more for sales in terms of show units at the moment than for occupancy. I believe in the area of 70 condo units will eventually be developed in the building.

Interior work on the new Arthur St. LCBO has begun. The interior finishing and millwork was tendered separately from the outside of the building.

I am also hearing the developers behind the new Hampton Inn would like to get going as soon as site and weather conditions allow for this spring.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 5:36 AM

Has the MTO posted any preliminary plans for thinning the highway through Dorion? I'm looking at a house out there but can't help wondering where the highway might eventually run. I know that actual construction on that stretch is probably quite a few years off still.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Lionel View Post
Has the MTO posted any preliminary plans for thinning the highway through Dorion? I'm looking at a house out there but can't help wondering where the highway might eventually run. I know that actual construction on that stretch is probably quite a few years off still.
There was a route identified in the 90s, but I haven't seen any updates on that section. Look into the East-West Tie upgrade; I suspect that will happen before highway twinning around Dorion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario