HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Trees View Post
As far as the I-84 interchange goes, what they really need to do (and I once saw proposals for this many years ago) is to create a cloverleaf loop on the eastbound-to-northbound approach (it would be the southeast corner of the interchange). A SPUI would be nice, but there's an unbalanced flow of traffic that would really benefit from uninterrupted access.
I agree. Since Broadway has somewhat of a freeway alignment for that first mile or so, it would be nice to be able to carry that sort of thinking over the interchange as well.

My wish for the Broadway bridge over the river is something pretty. I'm living in Seattle now and enjoy the beauty of the bridges I drive over every day (although Seattle's aren't as pretty as Portland's bridges). With broadway being a gateway to downtown for visitors, I hope the bridge is built with aesthetics in mind. Maybe something like this but on a larger scale?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 3:45 PM

Friedman Airport/Sun Valley news. BOI is a hub for the Sun Valley airport so it is fitting to post this news here:

http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?...=09&var_Day=19

Hurdle cleared for SkyWest jets
Spokeswoman says service could begin next spring

by KATHERINE WUTZ

A report released earlier this month by the Federal Aviation Administration said a switch by SkyWest from turboprop planes to a certain type of regional jet at Friedman Memorial Airport would have “no significant impacts” on the surrounding area.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 12:16 AM

Bad news for Boise airport:

I hate to post bad news, but it's still news just the same:

Boise Airport denied $1 million grant for increased Sun Valley service.

Most of us aren't surprised due to the competitive nature of these grants, but I am glad to see BOI going after some of the federal money to help bring in better service to the valley. Hopefully this won't deter them from applying again in the future. The entire story can be read at the link posted: www.kivitv.com/news/local/170528166.html

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 12:31 AM

Possible flights added to BOI:

Paine field (Seattle) commercial service could add new flights to Boise according to their research.

An interesting story to read about that may end up adding some flights to Boise and other regional destinations.

Story link: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201...ON03/709239980

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 7:46 PM

New 1,015 car parking garage at Boise Airport

Most of you have most likely known this was in the works so I just wanted to post a link mentioning the addition on a Seattle website.

www.djc.com/news/co/12045850.html

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 8:00 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Thanks for the updates Basco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basco View Post
Paine field (Seattle) commercial service could add new flights to Boise according to their research.

An interesting story to read about that may end up adding some flights to Boise and other regional destinations.

Story link: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201...ON03/709239980
Unfortunately I can't see any service to Paine Field anytime soon. And you're talking to the guy who would benefit most from such a service considering I live just down the road Paine Field in the summer!

The reasoning: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201...eld-flights%0A

Horizon is the only candidate who would start this service. I can't see Southwest being remotely interested in the market after the performance of Boise to Seattle's main airport, and it doesn't really fit in either Allegiant or Spirit's business model.

I actually don't think that's a bad thing either. On the one hand it would be nice to see service to Seattle's north airport, but it might cannibalize the existing service to Sea-Tac which would result in reduced frequencies and reduced connecting opportunities which appeal to business travelers connecting through Seattle. Just my two cents.

Quote:
New 1,015 car parking garage at Boise Airport

Most of you have most likely known this was in the works so I just wanted to post a link mentioning the addition on a Seattle website.

www.djc.com/news/co/12045850.html
I'm thrilled to see the gears finally turning on this long-awaited project!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 8:38 PM

Bond hearing for BOI parking garage held Oct 16th

BOI parking garage update:

I'm surprised Boise weekly picked this up first but props to them for reporting this. Apparently the hearing for the bonds will be tonight. Let's hope it passes and this is on schedule to begin in January.

Link to story

BoiseAirport: Thanks for the info on the Paine field post, it's good to have someone on here so interested in our airport! I have been reading your post's for quite some time and have found that you and I have lot's in common as far as the Boise airport is concerned. Take care and keep the good post's coming as well as the great renderings.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 8:53 PM

Jackson Jet center expansion:

This may not seem like big news, but I think it could have an impact on getting new companies or high income investors into the area. Easier access is one of the many factors that Boise offers that could bring more companies, or CEO's, to Idaho to start or invest in businesses.

Link to story

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 6:59 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
BOI parking garage update:

I'm surprised Boise weekly picked this up first but props to them for reporting this. Apparently the hearing for the bonds will be tonight. Let's hope it passes and this is on schedule to begin in January.

Link to story

BoiseAirport: Thanks for the info on the Paine field post, it's good to have someone on here so interested in our airport! I have been reading your post's for quite some time and have found that you and I have lot's in common as far as the Boise airport is concerned. Take care and keep the good post's coming as well as the great renderings.
Thanks Basco! And likewise, keep up the updates and good posts.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 5:36 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Southwest is ending th two-daily nonstop flights from Boise to Portland effective April 14th, 2012.

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blog/four-more-cities

At least on a positive note, when Southwest ended the two-daily Boise to Seattle, Alaska stepped in and added a daily flight to Seattle, and a daily flight to Portland (that connected to Seattle) to fill in. Independent of this news, Alaska is adding an additional flight to Seattle effective Summer 2013 making it 5 to Portland and 9 to Seattle.

If Alaska steps in again like they did before, we could see 6 daily flights to Portland and 10 daily flights to Seattle (which would be an all-time high for Alaska on BOI-SEA).

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
If Alaska steps in again like they did before, we could see 6 daily flights to Portland and 10 daily flights to Seattle (which would be an all-time high for Alaska on BOI-SEA).
Southwest pulled Spokane-Portland too. I think Alaska has already added a flight for that. I think Boise-Spokane is the only intra-NW flight left on Southwest. That doesn't have any competition so perhaps it will stay.

All good news for Alaska and Horizon. At least they've added service when another airline pulls, instead of cutting like Delta did after SLC ended with Southwest.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 1:52 AM

Argh.

Is there any realistic hope that Alaska would ever add a 737 to either SEA or PDX?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 5:51 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Argh.

Is there any realistic hope that Alaska would ever add a 737 to either SEA or PDX?
I'd say unlikely but I wouldn't rule it out completely. It's been done in the past and while it didn't sustain itself through the recession, it did last for a good 5 years or so, even getting up to 3x daily on Alaska jets. Back then they had to compete with Southwest. I think it'll just depend on if our market responds better to frequency vs. comfort.

--

With how the local economy has been doing in the treasure valley, I'm surprised (and dismayed) that overall passenger numbers are plummeting again. In 2011 it looked like things were starting to level off, but now they're quickly falling again. July 2012 is showing down 10% from last year, August 2012 down 7%, 2012 overall down 6% from 2011. A bit disheartening for sure. The only thing I can think is that perhaps it's just the loss of LCC service from Frontier and Southwest that's caused fares to rise and passenger numbers to fall.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
A bit disheartening for sure. The only thing I can think is that perhaps it's just the loss of LCC service from Frontier and Southwest that's caused fares to rise and passenger numbers to fall.
I'm sure this has something to do with it. It cost me so much to fly from LA last year. I probably won't even fly home this holiday.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 2:46 PM

Rumor regarding United

In the comments of the latest Guardian rant about the new BOI parking structure (I won't link to here but you all know how to find it), someone mentions a rumor that United is considering an exit from the Boise market. Anyone know if there is any truth to this? Sure hope not! Boise is one of their founding markets and getting back east would be much more difficult without them here.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodo_business View Post
In the comments of the latest Guardian rant about the new BOI parking structure (I won't link to here but you all know how to find it), someone mentions a rumor that United is considering an exit from the Boise market. Anyone know if there is any truth to this? Sure hope not! Boise is one of their founding markets and getting back east would be much more difficult without them here.
That is absolutely ridiculous. United serves many much smaller markets. There is absolutely no reason for them to pull out. I could maybe see the LA flight disappearing, but that is it.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 4:58 AM

I'm a little surprised that Southwest's PDX flight outlasted the Seattle flight. Seems there would be more demand from the larger city and more people would choose to fly than drive to Seattle than would do so to Portland. I'm happy with how Alaska handled the elimination of Southwest's service to Seattle: They added flights and kept fares reasonable. Delta hiked fares to SLC when WN pulled out of that route...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 8:52 PM

Small but nice change to the freeways:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/1...connector.html

Speed limit on Boise Connector to increase to 60 mph on Tuesday

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 10:35 PM

^^^That is great news. I don't mean to, but I always find myself creeping up to 65 mph, especially closer to the 84. To prove I'm not a speed demon, I was also happy when they DECREASED the limit to 50 mph on State Street most of the way to Eagle. That stretch has too much business access for a 55 mph limit.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 3:50 PM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Small but nice change to the freeways:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/1...connector.html

Speed limit on Boise Connector to increase to 60 mph on Tuesday
People drove 60+ mph when the limit was 55 mph.

Now that the limit has been increased to 60 mph, are people going to drive 65+ mph?

In our society, it is a common myth that it is okay to exceed the speed limit by 5-10 mph or more. This is especially true of those self-important individuals who lack responsibility and are almost always running late.

Many people fail to realize that driving even 1 mph above the limit is breaking the law, and police can cite you for it, if they so choose. While it is true that police usually give motorists a 5 mph leeway (which adds validity to the aforementioned myth), they certainly aren't required to.

It is also a common myth that the posted speed limit is the minimum you are required to drive, not the maximum you are legally allowed to drive.

End of rant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West