HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotliz View Post
But it's BROWN! Why is this building brown!? Austin is looking cool in blue--this is brown. I know it's just a rendering, but it's brownnnn! Why did they think this would look great in brown? The whole building is brown. Look at it, look at all the brown!
lol, the 80's just took a big stair-stepped shit downtown

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 4:21 AM

Well at least I'm not alone in this. I'm really pretty flippin surprised this is getting the nod on this forum.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 4:24 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Well at least I'm not alone in this. I'm really pretty flippin surprised this is getting the nod on this forum.
You aren't alone at all. From what I've seen written here, we're split pretty evenly. In fact, I think the "don't likes" slightly outnumber the "likes" (and at the very least have been more vocal about it).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
and folks are in favor of wal-mart apartments on east 6th!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
and folks are in favor of wal-mart apartments on east 6th!
Man... whoever said that east 6th street is hipster is totally bonkers. haha

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
You aren't alone at all. From what I've seen written here, we're split pretty evenly. In fact, I think the "don't likes" slightly outnumber the "likes" (and at the very least have been more vocal about it).
Count me in the "don't like" category. I'm very disappointed, but given the number of changes so far, there's always the chance it'll change again.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 7:15 AM
~Hook'em~

Green's gone brown.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 7:36 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I can't believe you guys are freaking out over the building. It's a classy, mature looking tower, something Austin would do well to have more of to give its skyline more gravitas. The fanciful Oz glass city look was kind of getting out of hand, if you ask me, and it doesn't make the place look serious if that's all that's going up.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 8:17 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
A smaller Walmart would be awesome. When I'm shopping at the typical Super Walmart I quite often find myself wishing to be at a place with less crap.
I like my dinky HEB. The HEB at South First & William Cannon. It's the smallest HEB in Austin and I can find everything. I'm usually in and out of there in 10 minutes. It can be a bit hectic on the weekends during the day, but that's when you avoid that one and go to the bigger one down the street. That other one I'm talking about, at Brodie and William Cannon, sometimes feels like a train station. The place can be so busy sometimes. I do like it, though, the food never has a chance to sit and get old on the shelf before it's bought.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 9:38 AM
~Hook'em~

Passing as just an acceptable building is not enough for this lot. What was going in these lots was supposed to be signature towers. These are huge city owned lots in the most booming part of downtown Austin right on Town Lake. Years and years went into looking at the proposals, and for it to come to this is not acceptable to me. If it were just a random downtown parking lot being turned into this building, I'd be fine with that. But it isn't just some tall building going up on some random lot.

Also, for me, boring brown buildings have been out of hand for a long time now. It isn't some fancy Oz like blue glass box that I'd say needs to go here. Pretty much anything other than another boring brown building. lol. Heck there was one proposal with yellow like pipes all over the place that was amazing. It looked electric. Being the Green Treatment site, I wouldn't even mind green!

Lastly, regarding Austin needing mature and serious looking buildings... lol... Neither of those describe Austin at all. It just doesn't fit this city and the culture in Austin. IMO, Dallas & Houston can keep the serious, while SA keeps the mature. This would fit much better in any of those cities and they would all no doubt be rightfully thrilled to have it. The building isn't bad in itself, but to me it is horrible for this lot.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
I can't believe you guys are freaking out over the building. It's a classy, mature looking tower, something Austin would do well to have more of to give its skyline more gravitas. The fanciful Oz glass city look was kind of getting out of hand, if you ask me, and it doesn't make the place look serious if that's all that's going up.
That's my problem with it. The building looks mature, as if it were a hospital built in the 80s...and not in a good way.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 7:09 PM

AND it's not as if we're being divas about this. I would be totally fine and probably supportive if it were somewhere else downtown...but if you look back at all the other groups who submitted their lovely proposals and we end up with BROWN STACKS....it's really deceptive. Oh, and San Antonio was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this design

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 7:55 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Here's what a tower should look like, imo: http://buildingatx.com/2013/08/exclu...or-5th-brazos/

The tower I had mentioned hearing about was announced today and broken by BuildingATX.com. 47-story dual hotel/apartment combo tower at 5th & Brazos.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 8:26 PM
on the south side

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I like my dinky HEB. The HEB at South First & William Cannon.
I prefer the dinky HEB at S.Congress / Oltorf.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 9:05 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

My HEB is Slaughter & Manchaca.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 9:14 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Here's what a tower should look like, imo: http://buildingatx.com/2013/08/exclu...or-5th-brazos/

The tower I had mentioned hearing about was announced today and broken by BuildingATX.com. 47-story dual hotel/apartment combo tower at 5th & Brazos.
Holy. Shit.

That is f*ing beautiful.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 12:22 AM

Well, it's big, I'm not sure it's beautuful. The tower portion is totally plain and featureless. But I'm guessing that this is just a preliminary rendering. I like the bottom part a lot.

As someone on reddit pointed out, no parking garage. Pretty cool, no?

Image courtesy of BuildingATX

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 12:29 AM
JACKinBeantown

Ugh.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 12:37 AM

You guys are right that Green Sucks as brown stacks... I'm not saying it's good... I'm just hoping they at least keep the height and glass.... It's unbelievable that they would go from that cool triple tower design to this....

As for the new project... I'll take it.... it's another W, and it will bounce light around nicely.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Longhorn View Post
You guys are right that Green Sucks as brown stacks... I'm not saying it's good... I'm just hoping they at least keep the height and glass.... It's unbelievable that they would go from that cool triple tower design to this....

As for the new project... I'll take it.... it's another W, and it will bounce light around nicely.
Triple tower design? You do realize that the other towers that were part of this development are on totally different lots. There's another apartment tower along the river and an office tower that are still planned.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations