HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 3:26 PM

Biggest Dick Contest

Not really! But without city vs city, What is your city the absolutely best at? What is one (or more) things that your city does that make it unique?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 3:51 PM
The City

Chicago is best at utilizing its waterfront for recreation.

And pizza...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 5:08 PM

San Francisco is best at creating an urban paradise for vagrant drug users:

The city spends close to $300 million a year on an estimated 7500 of them. For the arithmetically challenged, that's $40,000 each per year . . . a decent salary.

The slightly outdated figures from 2015-2016:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...ss-6808319.php

Nevertheless, Housed San Franciscans are confronted daily with:

image source: https://www.google.com/search?q=home...dCYOprbOo5kvM:

Parts of San Francisco dirtier than foreign slums, UC Berkeley infectious disease expert says

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
San Francisco is best at creating an urban paradise for vagrant drug users:

The city spends close to $300 million a year on an estimated 7500 of them. For the arithmetically challenged, that's $40,000 each per year . . . a decent salary.

The slightly outdated figures from 2015-2016:
Incorrect

More than half of SF's homelessness budget is spent for supportive housing for the formerly homeless and on eviction prevention.

Homeless have a lot of health issue. Of the remaining part another large portion is spent on healthcare services.

Can't just take the budget and divide it by the number of homeless.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 6:49 PM

For NYC I'm going to say bike lanes & bike sharing. It's amazing how many miles of lanes have been added over the past ~ 5 years, and the expansion of Citibike is making it easier to live car-free.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 6:52 PM

ive heard a couple doctors say there cant be a cure for cancer. all that money that goes to find a cure for cancer could go to the homeless. who knows what there spending those millions on

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Incorrect

More than half of SF's homelessness budget is spent for supportive housing for the formerly homeless and on eviction prevention.

Homeless have a lot of health issue. Of the remaining part another large portion is spent on healthcare services.

Can't just take the budget and divide it by the number of homeless.
The facts are as I presented them from sources more authoritative than your personal viewpoint. The chart shows the breakdown on the type of services. The number of SF homeless has stayed fairly constant for over a decade with people moving in and out of the categories of currently and "formerly" homeless. They are functionally one large group.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
ive heard a couple doctors say there cant be a cure for cancer. all that money that goes to find a cure for cancer could go to the homeless. who knows what there spending those millions on
The doctors are wrong as seems clearer every day. Cancer turns out to be a genetic disease with DNA errors, whether caused by viral infection, chemical damage or radiation damage, causing cellular control mechanisms to lose control. The "cure" ultimately will be an ability to repair damaged DNA and we are approaching the ability to do that. Then it will be necessary to find the specific site of damage in each of the many types of cancer.

So the suggestion that "cancer" is not a single disease with a single cure may be true, but that it will not ultimately be a category of curable diseases is not and we are at a critical juncture in learning the basics of curing it. Already or within a few years we will probably be curing a few types of cancer whose DNA errors we have found.

So this doctor would say that curing homelessness is probably harder and may be more of a waste of money than curing cancer.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 7:06 PM

Quote:
The facts are as I presented them from sources more authoritative than your personal viewpoint. The chart shows the breakdown on the type of services. The number of SF homeless has stayed fairly constant for over a decade with people moving in and out of the categories of currently and "formerly" homeless. They are functionally one large group.
My personal viewpoint is from your source lol. The image is from your post. Read the number on the image.

See the supportive housing on the right of your image?

"supportive housing for formerly homeless people and $27.2 million for eviction prevention to keep people from becoming homeless."
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...witter-premium

Again as I said You can't just take the budget and divide it by the number of homeless like you did.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 7:06 PM

^Yes.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 7:12 PM

I think Phoenix is the best city at hosting major sporting events in the country.

Major sporting events regularly hosted in the Phoenix area:

1. Super Bowls
2. College Football National Championships and their semi-final games (previously BCS Championship game rotation with the Fiesta Bowl)
3. NCAA Basketball Tournament Final Fours and regionals
4. Waste Management Phoenix Open (golf tournament) - if i remember right it's the most attended sporting event in the USA (considering the week-long attendance totals). The Saturday attendance day is right up there as the highest attended one-day event in the country - possibly second only to the Indy 500.
5. Spring Training (a month long host for 15 teams with games all over the city on a daily basis).
6. Nascar
7. All-star games, etc.

Some reasons I think sporting events are best and most easily hosted in the Phoenix area:

1. Weather - when these events happen, Phoenix has some of the best weather in the country (most accommodating to someone wanting to travel to a place to enjoy an event).
2. Large amount of resorts and hotels in general to house tourists/attendees.
3. Big centrally-located airport and good transportation system combined with ease of getting around the city via freeway or otherwise.
4. Political will and just experience in general to organize and put on large events.
5. Generally a good place to visit with lots to do for tourists (nightlife and shopping in Phoenix/Scottsdale, golfing, resorts to enjoy pool-side or golf courses, other major attractions like the Grand Canyon).

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 7:14 PM

So homelessness is mainly caused by cities spending money on services for homeless people. Thank you for the profound insight, Pedestrian.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
So homelessness is mainly caused by cities spending money on services for homeless people. Thank you for the profound insight, Pedestrian.
That is an insane interpretation of anything I said. Putting what I said simply enough for your evidently challenged brain, high spending on homelessness creates an environment the homeless evidently find attractive making the SF the most attractive city in the country for them and the one in which they are least inhibited (because our carrots come entirely without sticks).

This is similar to high rates of spending on bicycle infrastructure might make for an attractive place to bicyclists.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:
That is an insane interpretation of anything I said. Putting what I said simply enough for your evidently challenged brain, high spending on homelessness creates an environment the homeless evidently find attractive making the SF the most attractive city in the country for them and the one in which they are least inhibited (because our carrots come entirely without sticks).

This is similar to high rates of spending on bicycle infrastructure might make for an attractive place to bicyclists.

First of all you first post here was incorrect and misleading

The bolded above is also misleading. About 70% of the homeless In SF used to have their own housing in SF. Many people were priced out onto the streets. NYC has the same issue but NYC is more proactive and houses way more of the at risk of homelessness.

Here is a good overview for you, it has sources and everything. Read it before posting here again maybe?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homele...cisco_Bay_Area

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 7:52 PM

A place that actually spends money housing people and helping them with their health problems, it's no wonder San Francisco has so much homeless people.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 7:59 PM

Well, at least now I know where to go to sporting events - Phoenix for the famed "Waste Management Open" in the delightful 110 F, 11 UV level climate. Dermatologists everywhere are grateful.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 8:08 PM

Business incorporations and credit card companies. We could also claim pharmaceuticals, but central New Jersey may have a slight edge.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Well, at least now I know where to go to sporting events - Phoenix for the famed "Waste Management Open" in the delightful 110 F, 11 UV level climate. Dermatologists everywhere are grateful.
Phoenix doesn't get up to 110F in February.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Numbers speak for themselves. Not just the attendance, but the fact that the tournament is held yearly in late January/early February when average highs for Phoenix are upper 60s, low 70s. Also, the tournament is always held on Super Bowl weekend... In 2015 when Phoenix was hosting the Super Bowl, the Phoenix Open was also put on to huge crowds, on the same day/weekend/week. In fact, that year set attendance records.

R1 spectator attendance: 118,461
R2 spectator attendance: 81,309
R3 spectator attendance: 159,906
R4 spectator attendance: ‎83,552
Total: 564,368 total for the week tops the old record of 563,008 from 2014.

In 2016: 201,003 fans were in attendance on the Saturday of the tournament (new record 618,365 fans 4-day total). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Open

I nearly made a disclaimer before posting knowing that the inherent Phoenix bias/grudge on the forums would likely promote some sort of comment like this... useless, trolling, and completely idiotic/false.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 8:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Biggest Dick Contest?

OK.

Well, for NJ, there's a couple that would qualify. I'll rank them from 1 to 5, 1 being the most hazardous to the human species, and thus, should be eradicated ASAP for the protection of the future kin that harbor our seed.

1) People who hog the left lane and don't move out of the way AND Honda Odyssey's with dents in them that also grip the left lane and have housewives with disheveled hair driving them or equally worse, men that have lost hope.

2) Nissan Pathfinders

3) Toyota Camery's with dents in them and bumper guards that drive around in NYC

4) Folks who don't know right-of-way

5) Traffic lights that turn red (arrows) in less than 3 seconds, causing massive traffic. Route 1 in NJ has tons of these.

Exhibit A:

All of these are equally the biggest dicks, but #1 is just a imminent hazard to sentient life.

Now... for the good part.

NJ:

1) Good: Very nice neighborhoods and access to NYC

NYC:

1) Good: Global powerhouse and gold standard of what people think when the word "city" comes to mind. A damn fun place!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions