HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 12:37 PM

a couple things I have noticed...baby boomers are still moving to the west coast from the prairies and quite a large number of immigrants come to Manitoba first and then head to Toronto and, to a much lesser extent, Vancouver. as long as our population continues to grow and our job creation numbers are good I don't worry much about the interprovincial stuff. I like modest, sustainable growth.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 2:17 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

This list does not imply that all are listening at any one time, but instead how many have selected a station or stations as "Favourites" on TuneIn.com as at December 23, 2017.

Last edited by LilZebra; Dec 24, 2017 at 11:39 PM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 11:28 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 6:55 AM
BANNED

Merry Christmas to you to LilZebra and to the rest of the guys here!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post

This list does not imply that all are listening at any one time, but instead how many have selected a station or stations as "Favourites" on TuneIn.com as at December 23, 2017.
The thing I love about the list is that it appears that Unicity never happened, and Fort Garry, St. James, St. Boniface, and Winnipeg are still separate cities.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 11:07 PM
BANNED

Happy New Years boys, drink safe!~

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 2:41 PM
There is always a way

This article talks about redeveloping mall parking lots to mixed use towers. Interesting idea that could help shopping centres that are struggling here. Would also help put the urban back into suburban.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business...ment-1.4480936

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
This article talks about redeveloping mall parking lots to mixed use towers. Interesting idea that could help shopping centres that are struggling here. Would also help put the urban back into suburban.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business...ment-1.4480936
I read that today and it got me thinking. Are there any malls in Winnipeg that could use a boost like that? I would have said the Fort Richmond plaza a few years ago but it seems like they're back up and running. Maybe across the street?

My guess is Garden City or area where there seems to be quite a bit of empty stores that could benefit from using up their land for residential

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 12:45 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I read that today and it got me thinking. Are there any malls in Winnipeg that could use a boost like that? I would have said the Fort Richmond plaza a few years ago but it seems like they're back up and running. Maybe across the street?

My guess is Garden City or area where there seems to be quite a bit of empty stores that could benefit from using up their land for residential
I'd even like to see that happen at places like st vital and polo park at some point.

Also that could happen at portage place. The pad sites haven't yet been developed. It would definitely give the mall a shot in the arm if they could pull that off.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 2:17 AM

^ Eliminate the food court, replace it with a sit down restaurant or the base of a new tower

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
^ Eliminate the food court, replace it with a sit down restaurant or the base of a new tower

The food court is the part of the mall that's thriving the most.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:10 PM

Can I ask what is the topic of this thread? When I go to the first page it just looks like the conversation was a continuation of a previous thread.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 9:39 PM

It's a catch all off-topic thread for topics that don't have a thread of their own.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

The food court is the part of the mall that's thriving the most.
Too much undesirable rift raft,

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 11:28 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

also a place to self regulate ur self and move ur off topic discusions here or any chit chat

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
Too much undesirable rift raft,
I'm sure they are deeply concerned that they don't meet your standards for what food court clientele should look like.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 12:59 AM
There is always a way

Honestly the mere existence of residential towers on the pad sites at both ends would probably solve the problem of the so-called riff-raff organically. If FNP (if they still control those sites) could develop two 20-25 floor condo or apartment towers catering to mid-income earners, not only would it boost traffic through the mall but it would also push out people who use the food court currently for such purposes as controlled substance trading. This would be a massive leap forward into making the mall economically viable once more. Another thing that would help would be access on site or nearby to proper rapid transit (but that can of worms is not a place I care to go right now). I see so many cities with thriving downtown retail and the common thread seems to be the presence of a large residential population nearby, as well as one of means and not just those on pensions and collecting welfare, they're not going to revive any retail environment anywhere.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:08 AM

Quote:
I'm sure they are deeply concerned that they don't meet your standards for what food court clientele should look like.
Look, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty left-leaning and consider myself progressive and compassionate and all that jazz. But that food court is a disgrace. Last time I ate there, a couple of street people sat down at my table with me and asked for some of my food. I offered my bread and instead of gratitude, they seemed disappointed as I guess they had their hearts set on other parts of my meal - which I paid for, with my money, and was trying to enjoy in the 20 mins of free time I had between meetings. Needless to say I have not been back and will not be back anytime soon. They need to clear those people out.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 1:56 PM

If someone is hassling you, next time just point them out to security, just as you would anyplace else.

I'm at the Portage Place food court on a fairly regular basis and in my experience it is a pretty normal food court... Get rid of "those people" and soon you will have an empty good court without restaurants.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
If someone is hassling you, next time just point them out to security, just as you would anyplace else.

I'm at the Portage Place food court on a fairly regular basis and in my experience it is a pretty normal food court... Get rid of "those people" and soon you will have an empty good court without restaurants.
That is an extremely uncomfortable situation, you wouldn't have to deal with that at St vital or Polo food court. If the hecklers are harassing paying patrons for food they are clearly not there to contribute to the economic sustainability of the restaurants by purchasing their own meals.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan