HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Feb 18, 2006, 10:28 PM
Condo Projects Manager

Maybe you should get a job w/ Google Maps. You could help create the next generation Google maps that have textures and angles on the buildings instead of boxes. I'm sure they will pay well and let you work from home. Just something to think about.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2006, 12:05 AM

I agree. I think its only a matter of time before STR is swept away by a job offer he can't refuse. Good work doesn't go unnoticed. Google is watching. Trump sees your work. Daley, Calatrava, they're all watching. They have renderings of their buildings, but they're just as interested in seeing them in the context of the city as all of us. I think this forum is more public than you know. Anyway, good job STR.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2006, 2:25 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

I think I just peed a little.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2006, 7:06 PM
Because I'm Clever!

@Adam and Ivan. You guys flatter me, but this really isn't anything special, or at least special enough to land me a job. The pro's know alot more stuff than I do and that's why they get the dough (I don't even know how to do animations). The pro's also probably wouldn't use the cheap tricks I've used to get the buildings looking as good as they do without invest all the work to make a proper model.

@CG2 I hope you have a change of pants.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2006, 7:32 PM
Because I'm Clever!

I've been ignoring the northside for a while, even the JHC texture was a quick job, but no longer. I've redone all the major towers and added the Claire and the Elyisan (sp?). I've also thrown in some aerials too, since I know those are amoung the most popular.

From the JHC 94th. The shadows have a nice effect, but unfortunately, the deck isn't open at 8AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2006, 8:07 PM

Positively delightful...

I love how those aerials make 400ft buildings look like pathetic little stumps.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2006, 8:13 PM
JACKinBeantown

Hancock looks great. I like the aerial shots, but I'm also interested in seeing progress on the individual buildings (like Hancock). It adds realism. One thing I'd so at some point in the future is extend the land area that you map so when you have a shot from say... 700 feet... you see the horizon line in the background at a more realistic level.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2006, 10:00 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

The city is definitely coming to life!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2006, 11:36 PM

Your textures/bumpmaps on specific towers looks great!

Do you have the ability to color code all the other towers in the interim? I'd provide a key for most of the buildings you wouldn't consider texturing anytime soon.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 12:00 AM

STR, do the north side renderings include 4th Presbyterian? I'm trying to orient msyelf, but I thought the tower was right across from JHC behind the church.

Last edited by Crazy Ivan; Feb 20, 2006 at 12:06 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 12:55 AM
THAT Guy

^Meh. Don't worry about 4th Presbyterian too much. I don't think it has much of a chance anymore (if it ever did).

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 5:24 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Chicago
Your textures/bumpmaps on specific towers looks great!

Do you have the ability to color code all the other towers in the interim? I'd provide a key for most of the buildings you wouldn't consider texturing anytime soon.
Yes I can color them. Basically, the grey buildings are in four large groups: the Loop and the north, south, and west sides. All I have to do is detach the individual building from the group and color it. I color about 20 buildings a day, including the ones with refined meshes. Earlier tonight I went on a blitz of coloring, maybe twice what I usually do. Downtown is starting to look colorful,

I'm curious as to what kind of a key you're talking about. Please elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan
STR, do the north side renderings include 4th Presbyterian? I'm trying to orient msyelf, but I thought the tower was right across from JHC behind the church.
4th Preb be dead.

Last edited by STR; Feb 20, 2006 at 8:00 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 5:43 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC
Hancock looks great. I like the aerial shots, but I'm also interested in seeing progress on the individual buildings (like Hancock). It adds realism. One thing I'd so at some point in the future is extend the land area that you map so when you have a shot from say... 700 feet... you see the horizon line in the background at a more realistic level.
If I expand the horizon, it will just be a vast swath of grey emptyness with maybe some roads. It'll still look bad.

And it's already far enough out that 700 feet isn't an issue. I've roughly quadrupled the size of the model since day 1. It used to be Roosevelt to JHC and Navy Pier to the Circle, now it's McCormick to Lincoln Park and Navy Pier to almost the United Center. It's when I get up to around 3-5 thousand feet that the edges are still apparent.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 6:16 AM
JACKinBeantown

OK. You understand what I mean though, so that's cool. Keep up the impressive work.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 1:14 PM

4th Pres... is it really dead or is that just conjecture (eg, in the way some people think FS has a 0% chance of getting built)? 4th Pres still shows up on the main page under proposed. I checked the 4th Pres website and, while I didn't see any recent news on the proposed development, I didn't see any statements indicating they are dropping the project either.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan
4th Pres... is it really dead or is that just conjecture (eg, in the way some people think FS has a 0% chance of getting built)? 4th Pres still shows up on the main page under proposed. I checked the 4th Pres website and, while I didn't see any recent news on the proposed development, I didn't see any statements indicating they are dropping the project either.
Alderman Natarus has started talking about being called a "dirty jew" after openly opposing the project. A project of this magnitude needs the local alderman's support, the City Council has no reason to approve this on their and override his wishes, not to mention the fact that Natarus has alot of clout. This thing is dead, dead, dead.

The model is really looking great STR. Let me know if you want me to compile data (heights, locations, pictures) to help with any certain areas you haven't gotten to yet.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 3:23 PM
Content provider

^especially the south end of grant park. tons of new buildings down there, and we have them all

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 6:19 PM
Because I'm Clever!

What would be a great help would be to get a floor plan of 1MP. That's an odd one and I can't seem to get it looking right. Just as good would be a map of the area showing the footprints of the various towers.

Something like this, but preferable larger and more detailed.

Or at least write the names of the buildings on this map.

Last edited by STR; Feb 20, 2006 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 6:50 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Well, here's the renderings for today. This time I overhauled the Main Branch canyon north of the Loop. Mostly reduxes of buildings already present, I did add N300 LaSalle as well as some older towers that were missing. I did them throughout the day, so some towers may be missing in the early shots. The most up-to-date pic is the huge (1600x1200) aerial, clich the thumbnail to see the full 500KB image.

Big enough to fit most anyone's desktop.

Last edited by STR; Feb 20, 2006 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 7:02 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

I don't like how 300 LaSalle is pushed back from the river that far. The architects should've atleast put it as far as coding could put it against the river and then had that setback into the main tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art